Love History?

Hi! :)

I just looked around here and I couldn't believe that found this thread! I'm so thrilled! :hugegrin:

I LOVE HISTORY! ;) I've loved since 7th grade (I'm high school senior now) War history is my special area :D I don't like culture and arts that much. :rolleyes:

I dunno really why I fancied to history. Maybe cause my first history teacher was awesome. :thumbsup:He really knew how to teach well and lessons were never boring.:lol:

For example. We acted WR I starting situation making alliances.:D We had a little piece of paper where was said should we accept that specific coutry to acciance!:lol: After it was easy to remember what the two sides were! Not to mention it was fun! Saying your classmates "No we don't want acciance with you guys!":guffaw: Of course "the real reasons" was studied in old fashiod way! "Notes!" :rolleyes:

In high school there was a new teacher, or not actually total stranger, cause secondary school and high school are on the same buildings so we know all the teachers.;) Well in high school history was at first though cause everything went so fast.:shifty:

Know there's four weeks and I have history matriculation examination in front of me!:cardie: I'm going in Cold War at the moment and I'm scared basically! :alienblush:

In future I'd wanna study history and religion together in the university only in my country getting there is really hard. Of course studing abroad would be my dream come true!:thumbsup:

The Role play sounds fun! We never got to do anything like that at school. But I still always enjoyed history.
Religion and history seems a good combo. So much history is linked to religion anyway. Good luck with your studying, and I hope your exam goes well :)

I did a joint degree in History and Sports Studies. I also did History at GCSE and got an A*. My favourite period of History is the World Wars but I also like the Egyptians, Victorians and Medieval periods of History. However I could talk for ages about the evolution of Medicine through time as I'm fascinated by it and it was in my GCSE syllabus.
I also can talk about sports history a bit, especially about the history of Manchester United F.C. I was allowed to do a piece of GCSE coursework on them as we were allowed to pick our own topics as long as it covered no more than 120 years.

My favourite history is also the World Wars. Unfortunately we never covered any of the other topics you mention. :(
I remember the GCSE coursework. I found it really hard to decide what to do, because we could do absolutely anything. I know quite a few people at school who would have loved to have done Man Utd- especially my best friend who was a huge fan.
I was going to do mine on the Emperor Trajan, and the expansion of Rome. Then after doing the research I changed my mind and went with Prohibition in America :) So slightly different..............

i just reacently read this book called "The Red Leather Diary" where this writer for the NY Times found this diary from the late '20s early '30s in the trash, she tracked down the woman and wrote the book about the woman, the diary and the time the woman lived in. it was so fascinating. the diarist lived in NYC during the 20s and 30s, NYC during that time and up to the 60s in so interesting. i love NYC i could go there everyday so i enjoyed reading about the NY of old and life and fashion and culture.

the woman who wrote the diary was born in 1915 my great-grandma is two years younger and also grew up in NYC during the same time. after reading this book i want to ask my great-grandma all about the 20s,30s and 40s. she always talks about going to the movies and beating up other girls in school haha (my great-grandma is not sweet she's a racist Italian lol). she never talks about what life was like in old NY.

this makes me also want to research all the time periods and the movies and movie stars that were mentioned in the book. there was this one actress that the diarist adored named Eva Le Gallienne. what was said in the book about the actress and what i looked up was very interesting. i found a book about the actress in my school library which i will be taking out as soon as i get back to school.

Not to mention it was fun! Saying your classmates "No we don't want acciance with you guys!":guffaw: Of course "the real reasons" was studied in old fashiod way! "Notes!" :rolleyes:

of course, in the case of WWI, the real reasons were about the same as that anyway:lol:

(had to check what I had written before)

We have these big warbooks about WWII in here, my grandpa's books what have been released, he had one about his group - there are maps how troops moved and what happened and when and where and why and what was the cost of all that.

So now that I live here in Lapland, I think I'll dig in closely to this war in the end of WW2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War
and especially this city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Rovaniemi

I did a joint degree in History and Sports Studies. I also did History at GCSE and got an A*. My favourite period of History is the World Wars but I also like the Egyptians, Victorians and Medieval periods of History. However I could talk for ages about the evolution of Medicine through time as I'm fascinated by it and it was in my GCSE syllabus.

those are my favourite periods too. the victorian period is just fantastic - so much change. for my degree (in pols, phil & history) i did a course module in the history of science, which was fascinating, i really enjoyed it. have you been to the surgery/medical exhibit at the science museum (i assume as you mention gcse you are in the uk)? there's a really good museum of medicine at the wellcome trust in euston as well.

I also can talk about sports history a bit, especially about the history of Manchester United F.C. I was allowed to do a piece of GCSE coursework on them as we were allowed to pick our own topics as long as it covered no more than 120 years.

did you do the entire history or just focus on one area like the plane crash in '58? did you also cover newton heath or just MUFC? blimey, i'm beginning to sound like a man u fan. i kind of was as a kid but then i went off football altogether, in favour of more riveting pursuits like watching tippex dry :p ;)

You assumed right, I am from the U.K. I did the whole of Man Utd's history as I was allowed to cover 120 years and at the time it was 1999 so Newton Heath/Man Utd had been in existence for just over 120 years. Quite handy really. I haven't visited any of the museums/places you mention though I have been to the Tower of London and Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire plus Chepstow and Penhow Castles in Wales. All were great especially the Tower of London. I would recommend a visit. The only medicine museum I have been to was to do with Edward Jenner but I was about 6/7 years old so I don't remember where it is. Think it's in the Gloucestershire area though as it was a school trip and I went to school in Somerset.

You assumed right, I am from the U.K. I did the whole of Man Utd's history as I was allowed to cover 120 years and at the time it was 1999 so Newton Heath/Man Utd had been in existence for just over 120 years. Quite handy really.

very handy!

I haven't visited any of the museums/places you mention though I have been to the Tower of London and Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire plus Chepstow and Penhow Castles in Wales. All were great especially the Tower of London. I would recommend a visit. The only medicine museum I have been to was to do with Edward Jenner but I was about 6/7 years old so I don't remember where it is. Think it's in the Gloucestershire area though as it was a school trip and I went to school in Somerset.

i've not been to that one. the tower really is great although i've been too many times really, about 5 school trips and once or twice since school. i used to work on a trading floor in the city and the place was about 250 yards from the tower, it was so nice to take a sandwich to the tower gardens for a lunch break - a fantastic setting for lunch, as long as you avoided the ravens!

you should definitely check out the science museum's medicine exhibit, it's really good, http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/edu...up/galleries/glimpses_of_medical_history.aspx

the wellcome trust in euston do a lot of medical exhibits too - although it's independent i think it's somehow affiliated to the british library (which is really close to it) and is primarily a library resource but they definitely have exhibitions most of the time too - i actually thought the science museum one had been moved there but evidently not!

i just visited the International Center of Photography in NYC friday afternoon. i've been there a couple of times before and the place is pretty interesting. I went there this time for an exhibit on the photographer Richard Avedon. he worked from after WWII until 2000. Avedon's work from the late '50s in Paris are beautiful.

the Metropolitan Museum of Art is having an exhibit on photographer Robert Frank's work The Americans which starts next week. i'm looking forward to that some of Frank's work is very nice and gives a somewhat very good view on the American life. there's also going to be a symposium the following week that i will be going to as well.

i just recently took an interest in photography after i saw Edward Steichen's work at the ICP last spring. i'm more into paintings and sculpture but i am finding photography can be just as great as the more traditional forms of art.

Last edited:

those are my favourite periods too.

Me three. I love the Egyptian, Victorian and Medieval periods are fantastic. They really shaped they way we view the world today.

My number one favorite would have to be the Victorian period. I love London's history especially the 18th and 19th century when the penny dreadful's came into style creating one of my favorite period stories: A String of Pearls.

Jack the Ripper is one of my main draws to London history, this is (IMO) the best murder mystery case in history, it's the draw of the unknown :)

^ yeah the ripper is an amazing story, it's one of the great mysteries of the world!

what i like about those periods (well, victorian and medieval anyway) is that there was so much change socially - particularly in the 19thC with urbanisation and industry, the world hadn't seen anything like it before and it's quite plausible that they didn't know quite how to cope with it.

a string of pearls is great, as were many penny dreadfuls, i love that whole era, in fact i often wish i could revisit a genuine victorian slum, which makes me sound like some kind of overlord observer, but they fascinate me. have you read "london labour and the london poor" by henry mayhew? it's a great book - he was one of the first people to go to the slum areas (mainly east end but also st giles etc) and actually observe the people without passing judgement or trying to convert them or whatever. he had philanthropic aims in mind, but he was more subtle than some of the others. it's a great little book, he interviewed people, drew them, wrote about how things worked and stuff.

^ yeah the ripper is an amazing story, it's one of the great mysteries of the world!

what i like about those periods (well, victorian and medieval anyway) is that there was so much change socially - particularly in the 19thC with urbanisation and industry, the world hadn't seen anything like it before and it's quite plausible that they didn't know quite how to cope with it.

a string of pearls is great, as were many penny dreadfuls, i love that whole era, in fact i often wish i could revisit a genuine victorian slum, which makes me sound like some kind of overlord observer, but they fascinate me. have you read "london labour and the london poor" by henry mayhew? it's a great book - he was one of the first people to go to the slum areas (mainly east end but also st giles etc) and actually observe the people without passing judgement or trying to convert them or whatever. he had philanthropic aims in mind, but he was more subtle than some of the others. it's a great little book, he interviewed people, drew them, wrote about how things worked and stuff.

I would absolutely love to revisit a victorian slum! We can read about how times were as much as we want, but experiencing it would be magnificent ... despite the not so magnificent conditions.
I'd love to see the whitechapel district in the 17th and 18th centuries. :rolleyes:

I've never read "London labour and London poor" before, but I'll definitely look it up, it sounds fascinating.
Whenever Im reading into london history during the victorian era, I always always come across quotes taken from Charles Dickins "Oliver Twist" and I've never actually read the book but it sounds as though it's a pretty accurate portrayal. Especially the aspects of Newgate Prison (probably my favorite prison in history).

This is kind of cool, and I thought I might share it with you all :)
As you all know Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street came into theatres December of 2007, but the movie was based off a broadway musical by Stephen Sondheim that's been around forever, before it was a musical it was a play, and it can be traced back to being loosely based off the penny dreadful "A string of pearls" claiming that Sweeney Todd was real, and his existence has been a debate among historians for years and years and some are 100% convinced that he did exist at one point.
This is the "true story" of Sweeney Todd, and whether or not you believe him to be real, it's a great read (albeit long) and gives incredible insight to the London slums.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/weird/todd/index_1.html

^ yep, i've read about sweeney todd, the original story is way better than the film/musical, even if it's a legend.

i adore dickens, he really was a great writer and he knew his subject very well, he spent a lot of time visiting the east end and other places to get to know exactly what he was writing about. oliver twist is a truly great book, but i think my favourite of his was hard times, which i was expecting to hate but absolutely loved, even though it's not set in london, it's set in the industrial north, around leeds i think. there was a really great book recently, and i'm damned if i can remember its name, which was loosely based on that fact, it was a novel about east end london life, and dickens was a character who met with other characters in shady boozers to find out about things, which was only really semi fictional. it might have been "the great stink" by clare clark, which was (amazingly enough) about the london sewer works in the mid 19th cent - even if that's not the book i'm thinking of it is a great book, lots of excellent detail about the place/period. i studied bazalgette and the london sewers quite a lot in my last degree, i thought i'd find it dull but i was totally fascinated! i even went to visit one of the last 2 victorian pumping stations to help with my essay.

i'd like to have seen whitechapel for sure, and old nichol (shoreditch/hackney), but especially st giles, mainly because it's an area i'm in so often (and have been for years - it was a slum in the area around tottenham court road/charing cross) that it's fascinating to see another side of it. in fact i sometimes read about these places and then try to find the exact same streets while i'm there, it's not always easy because of development and slum clearance, but it's fun trying!

Last edited:
Back