Locker Room #18: Danny/Carmine: Welcome to the Insane Asylum!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Is it me, or does he not sound happy in that interview?

Further evidence at his unhappiness at the initial way DL unfolded. It was so badly done...it made Danny look like a wuss and Lindsay look like a bitch.

To me that says TPTB had no clue what to do with DL...

and so they decided to run with the pregnancy when it landed in their laps, quite literally.

Wonder if those "balls" comments came from TalkCSI. :eek: "A" sounds again like maybe he's not so thrilled with some of the stuff that made it seem as though Danny had lost his balls...he's kind of distancing himself from the whole thing by saying he can only work with what they give him. I think he takes some of the comments personally, which is understandable. I imagine after playing a character for four years, you'd take criticism of that character pretty personally, especially if you care as much about your performance as Carmine clearly does.

No matter what unfolds, I'm sure Carmine will do a bang up job with the storyline.

3. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I get the feeling that he doesn't like doing interviews...maybe that's just me.:confused:

4. Top41

I've never gotten that feeling; he's actually pretty talkative. :lol:

But it does seem like when this interview was conducted, he didn't know a lot about what was coming up in the season. He's dead on about how the writers have handled DL--putting the brakes on and then hitting the gas. It's all 0 to 60 with that storyline.

5. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I think the way they have handled the Danny/Lindsey relationship is great. I can't wait to see what's in store for them in season 5.

6. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

[​IMG]

Source:stolenglances.

7. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

It does sound like he takes it a little personally, which as you said on one level is understandable, but all the posts I have read make it pretty clear people think Carmine is a very good actor it's just they don't like the way TPTB have handled his character which I imagine he has very little say in. From reading his interviews it seems he is as much in the dark as we are as to what TPTBs intentions for his character are, which must be as frustrating for him as it is for us.

TPTB seem to like having a certain level of ambiguity in story lines as it gives them the option to change directions as and when they want but it is the same ambiguity that frustrates viewers. They need to start making it clear what the situation exactly is and who knows what etc.

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I honestly think tptb have gone way too far with the amibiguity in this instance. I definitely think Carmine must be feeling pretty frustrated with the ambiguity. In fact, there was a short interview on the net a few weeks ago (from an Asian TV network IIRC) where he was talking about being so confused re. Danny and Lindsay and how difficult that made things for both him and Anna. Actually I think he particularly talked about how difficult it was for Anna because Lindsay isn't as established a character as Danny.

9. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

10. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I totally agree.

Do you have a link to the interview you mentioned as I would be interested in watching it - thanks

11. Top41

Yeah, I think it's got to be hard to really not know where they're going to take your character at all, or who he's supposed to be with or how he's supposed to feel about who he's with. It's a testament to Carmine's acting skills that he performs as well as he does with that ambiguity.

To be fair, that's partially her fault. AJ established Adam with one line; part of the onus of that is on the actor to think about his or her character and figure out what that character is thinking or feeling in each scene--even if it's just to inform the performance. Obviously that's hard with the ambiguity, and that's a big misstep on the fault of TPTB, but one of the things about Carmine's performance as Danny that I really admire is that he always manages to do that and take us right along with him. I love how Danny reacts to everything so emotionally.

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Exactly. Anna is starting her fourth season as Lindsay and I still can't predict how or why she will respond to/in situations or what is in character and out of character for her. All I know is that she's from Montana, she was the sole survivor of a horrible multiple homicide, she does demonstrations with evidence and she's Danny's girlfriend. That isn't all the fault of the writers.

Knowing the character - getting into her head and learning more than the superficial facts about her would help clear up some of the ambiguity the writers have created. The actor can't just sit back and be passive. They have to develop and know their character in order to be convincing. They also have to project what they have developed for and know about their character so the audience has a clue as to their motivations and behavior patterns. Just reading the lines and using the same facial expression for practically every emotion doesn't cut it.

In contrast, no matter what ambiguity the writers leave or how TPTB tries to change Danny's character, Carmine's performances are always spot on and hold true to the Danny originally created even if it's just a tiny bit.

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Sorry, I've tried to find it. It was posted on another site a while ago but I can't remember which one. Other than what I've already said, he just ended up saying it was probably planned that way to create the drama or tension or something like that.

I agree she has to be partially responsible but the main responsibility/blame lies with the writers imo.

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I think that fact that Lindsay isn't as established as a character as the others in the programme is down to Anna. She has been in the show for 3 seasons now and had a good amount of screen time compared to others like Adam and Sid who are much more defined as characters.

The lack of definiton in regards to Danny and Lindsays relationship on the other hand it totally down to the writers and them wanting to appeal to everyone. To me there are two separate issues here.

15. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

^^^ i agree with you Poppet very well said.

i look at Danny and basically any character you like on TV:

as the years go on with a favorite character it's like getting to know a friend. when you first meet someone they act a certain way. then once you get to know them well you get to see different sides of them.

as fans we've been involved with Danny and the cast for 5 years and now that first impression of them is starting to come undone and we're seeing a totally different emotional, annoying, whatever-you-wanna-call-it side. we've never seen Danny with a girlfriend before, we don't know if he's dedicated to them like his is with Lindsay. maybe with girlfriends he becomes someone else.

i think a lot of Danny's reasonings and Lindsay's reasonings for their actions and the frustrations that come with it comes down to the writers not giving us enough clarity and backround on the two of them.

i don't want to see D/L be the main focus all the time b/c the show has so many other awesome characters that need to be focused on. Danny still needs a lot of growth as character and i think this season could see a lot of it if the writers can write something sensible this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.