Locker Room #18: Danny/Carmine: Welcome to the Insane Asylum!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I've never seen Danny do the "I vuv you stuff." Yeah, he's been tied to Lindsay and he's been involved with Rikki, but he's never been the sappy type. He was neutered a bit in S3 to accomodate Lindsay, but he's never once claimed to be in love with her and in S4 he acted more like her co-worker than anything else. He openly admitted that sex with Rikki was just comforting and relieving guilt and not "*sigh* I'm in love with two women; what ever shall I do now?"

Personally, I don't think Danny would be Danny if he was an emotionally unattached jerk. I came to like the character because he is so emotional and that isn't something you see from a male cop on TV very often. The real police keep it cool when they're in public on the job, yes. That doesn't mean they aren't emotional in any aspect of their jobs or lives. The TV show is looking at more than just how the CSIs/dectectives appear when out in public for a case, and a TV show is also exaggerated to make things, for the most part, more entertaining to watch. That doesn't mean being a cop and being an emotional person in reality are mutually exclusive, though.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. I can see how the character isn't to everyone's liking, but I think he brings an important element to the show. Having a bunch of characters who keep their cool all the time and never react to things isn't very realistic or necessarily interesting to watch. I love that Danny is the one who reacts to things, and gets upset about things. He's kind of the audience's vehicle into this world, because most of us would be as thrown by all the terrible things people do to each other as Danny is. Working as a CSI, you kind of have to get hardened to that a little, so I think it's realistic that the other characters are able to take it more in stride and compartmentalize their feelings, but I think it's interesting that Danny isn't able to. It makes him unique and relatable IMO.

3. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Conclusion:

Either you don't know what you want, or you have watched too many soap operas.

4. PerfectAnomaly

Huh? I'm sorry, but I don't get where that is coming from. It would be nice if you would explain yourself instead of just leveling a judgement that at face value seems to have no basis.

5. Top41

Feel free to debate about Danny's character all you want, but don't get personal and nasty with other posters. Debate the issue; don't make judgments/presumptions about other people.

6. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Ok, I'll play nice.

Luckilly, I'm not God -other wise I wouldt of passed this test.

7. Top41

Since this thread is pretty dead...

With the spoiler that Anna's pregnancy is being written into the show, I think it's fairly safe to say that Danny is probably going to become a father in season five. How do you feel about it? Do you think Danny will make a good dad?

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I think Danny will make a fantastic father. I think he'll be fiercly protective and loving but he won't stand for any crap. I can see him being fun but at the same time I think he'll be strict. If he has a daughter then god help him when she's a teenager, or at least god help any boyfriends! :lol:

9. LME

LME Police Officer

I agree. For at least the last few years he has had very hard time. I think when he first finds out it will take him sometime to adjust, as i think he will have feeling of not being a good parent mainly based on with what happened to Ruben.

But I think this news will help him to recover (probably not the best choice of words but I can't think of the right one at the moment) from some of the things he has been though emotionaly and will end up as a great father.

While i think this will help him grow up (again maybe not the best word to use) and think before he does things I doubt it will stop us from seeing the hot headed Danny from previous seasons. It willnot stop him for being the character we love, just give him another dimension.

10. PerfectAnomaly

I think Danny will make a good father. I think he'll be really over protective considering what happened to Ruben. I also think he'll be really hard on himself and always be second guessing himself as to if he's doing/done the "right" thing in any decision he makes regarding the child. I think he may feel guilty whenever something bad happens (even if it's something like the child falling and skinning their knee) even if he had nothing to do with it or couldn't have prevented it. I also think he'll feel guilty about having a child when he feels responsible for Rikki losing hers.

What I'm really curious about is how they're going to have any Danny story lines from now on that don't include Lindsay. As his baby mama I think everything about his character will be at least indirectly tied to her and I'm really not looking forward to that if it happens. I'm afraid all of the wonderful, compelling things I love about Danny are going to be sacrificed to accomodate Lindsay and Anna's pregnancy. :(

11. Top41

I think it will be a great turn for Danny, because I think he is such an empathetic and emotional character. Given what happened with Ruben, I do think there will be a lot of complex layers in his reaction. I definitely think there will be some guilt when he hears the news. I wonder if Rikki's return will be tied in with that--and how she'll feel about Danny having a child after the death of her own.

12. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I think Carmine will do the best he can with this story but I have a very bad feeling about it. The whole D/L drama of the last season just took away from Danny as a character, he became a weak punch bag of a man and I can only see that getting worse given this story line. I also think Anna will struggle to convey enough/the right emotion needed for the scenes and that in itself takes away from Danny. I realise they had to do something with Anna being pregnant but I honestly think they may destroy Danny as a character. Hopefully TPTB will prove me wrong but given what has gone before I am doubtful.

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

You know, it always bothers me when people talk about certain storylines destroying Danny as a character. He's one of the strongest characters on the show and Carmine is one of the strongest actors (I'd even go as far as to say THE strongest). I think he handles whatever is thrown at him beautifully and I don't think pending fatherhood will be any different.

I get that people struggled with the portrayal of Danny in S3 in response to Lindsay's treatment of him, I get that, I really do and him dropping everything with no encouragement from Lindsay to run to Montana kind of bothered me too. But, I think all seasons have reflected the complex layers that make up such an appealing character and I for one have grown to love Danny more because of this. Not only that, but my respect and appreciation of Carmine's talents have increased over the years also.

I think it's a shame to jump to conclusions about Danny's potential destruction, particularly when he's portrayed by such a talented actor. Not only that, tptb can't possibly be so stupid as to actually damage one of their top 3 intentionally can they? I don't think so.

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

It's not that I don't think Carmine is a good actor, i do a very good actor. I also find Danny a brilliant character outside of the D/L drama. My problem comes from the way Danny is often seen to act in way that is OOC in the D/L scenes and for me I really dislike it when they manipulate one character just to give another one a reason to be there. If a character can't stand alone then write them out.

Had it been Rikki that was pregnant, I think it would work well. Firstly it would be more in the background and secondly Carmine and Jacqueline had great onscreen chemistry. When there are 2 people in a scene you need both of them to express emotion to convay the scene well, Carmine can't do it all himself.

I guess I expect that at least when they first find out about Lindsays pregnancy every Danny scene will be D/L drama, and to me that will be a waste of one good actor.

15. PerfectAnomaly

IMO, if Danny is forever going to be tied to Lindsay there is great potential for his character to be destroyed. They did a number on him in S3 and that was before DL's "romance" began. I obviously don't know what's going to happen to Danny's character, but based on my dislike of DL I'm not optimistic. I don't doubt Carmine's abilities. He'll knock whatever they throw at him out of the park. But that doesn't mean I will like what happens to his character and if TPTB keep throwing crappy stoylines at him I don't know if Carmine's acting will be enough to redeem the character. Having Danny's character destroyed in my eyes doesn't equal "Carmine can't act."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.