Lindsay Love Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Guest, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cyko1003

cyko1003 Rookie

Thanks for the welcome cfar!!

I totally agree with you about the Lindsay and the father scene… if you read the character’s bio on the CBS website, it says something to the effect of “the dark reason behind why she got into being a CSI” or something like that, I don’t remember the exact terminology. I found it weird that she seemed to be -extremely- affected by the case SH this week, and I’m thinking perhaps that it may have had something to do with her father…?

I don’t know if my memory is serving me correctly or not, but at the end of SH when she’s looking at pics, aren’t many of them of her with her father? Dunno, that’s total speculation on that one.

2. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

Welcome cyko1003!
    I think that Anna did an awesome job in Stealing Home. She can play subtle very well, unlike some of the other characters *cough*Danny*cough*. And I think a lot in her scenes is lost if you don't look closely at the small subtle changes in her voice and expression.
    Some Lindsay analysis from SH:
    Lindsay has been getting a little bit shorter lately. I'm wondering if this is because the latest eps have been striking close to home, or just that she is developing into more of "New Yorker" as far as attitude. I hope it's the former.

I think the prison scene showed how consumed she got with this case, and also perhaps a little bit of what will get under her skin. I also think it's because in Sara she saw what could have happened to her, since they had somewhat similar backgrounds.

Following rewatching, I noticed a few things.
    In her conversation about rawhide braiding with Sid, she continuously was smiling the subtle kind of smile (for examples look at screen caps above), but when she mentioned that her dad had taught her, it disappeared.
    The scene with the father. I can't say how much I love this scene. Lindsay's "Why?" wasn't so much anger, but confusion/curiosity/perhaps wondering if it was similar to her own experience. And Anna did the extraordinarily subtle facial expressions so well in showing the how it rang true to her (at least I think). I also felt really bad for the father.
    In the scene when Lindsay says the next thing is to arrest Vackner, she's walking and Danny looks at Flack with a little grin on his face, almost like that's my girl.
    I also loved the interrogation, with how quiet she was (in comparison with Stella or Mac) while being right next to him at his ear. It was also a different scenario because they typically are face to face.
    I also loved the Mac/Lindsay scene. I liked how he didn't bring it up right away-just show that he doesn't like the unpleasant stuff either. Right after he mentioned how Danny told him she had problems, she turned away and gave a sheepish smile, the type that someone gives when they don't necessarily want to admit something, but it is extremely obvious it's true. At at the end, something in her face just said that she couldn't accept it. I think this is just another indication of how much this case bothered her, probably because of how she identified with the victim.

I guess what I didn't like is that it really brought up more questions than it answered. We haven't had any major character development for her, and nothing like the other characters had last season.

3. Catilina128

Catilina128 Civilian

Thank you for the welcome AlyssaluvsDanny!
    My favorite scene was when she was in the morgue with the father, you could really feel her emotion even though she barely spoke. Anna does really well when it comes to facial expressions and their timing. It makes you pay more attention to the character. I also makes the character feel more real because not everyone expresses their emotions say the way Danny would(not that it is a bad thing).
    Did anyone else notice that Flack looked a little surprised ,after Lindsay told him the next thing was to arrest Vackner, because she had taken charge a little bit? Maybe it was just me.
    I hope that the writers don't do what they do on ER sometimes and not tell us why Vackner killed Sara. They might do it just for the sake of Drama, but really the whole point of certain plots on CSI is to find out who and why someone was killed.

4. scoj

scoj CSI Level One

i loved lindsay in this episode. shes just got the sweetest smile. i think her facial expressions are fantastic aswell. she sounded so cute when she was talking to the dad and she finished off the sentence with "tell daddy i love him" makes me think that her secret may have something to do with her father. and yeah i noticed too about how when she was saying her dad taught her she seemed to be remembering him as if he was dead or something. altogther she was fantastical!

5. keich

keich CSI Level One

I have to admit Anna Belknap isn't the greatest actress there is, but I still love her and I love Lindsay Monroe. She's the reason I started watching CSI:NY in the first place.

And I love the way she dresses. Particularly liked that green sweatshirt(?) she wore in "All Access". ^_^

6. cyko1003

cyko1003 Rookie

Upon rewatching today, I noticed a few things too.
    I definitely picked up a lot more from that first scene with Sid, and then from the scene with Sara's father. In the scene with Sid, it's true, she smiles and is kind of playful per se at the memories of growing up in Montana (all the rawhide stuff, etc). But then when she's talking to the father, she's much more somber and seems to be understanding on a more deeper level, her facial expressions relay this. Especially when the father says that he hasn't spoken to his daughter in over a year and Lindsay comes back with a shocked "WHY?!" and then catches herself... it was evident that she was connecting with the whole thing on more than just a CSI level. It was a LOT more personal for her, and I think that's why she had all the issues with not being able to just settle for a "just because" reason (like Mac said at the end). Since the assumption is that she's been a CSI for awhile, she's probably seen cases where there isn't a motive, or isn't a "legit" (for lack of a better word) motive, so perhaps the personal connection just meant that she COULDN"T just up and let it go like Mac suggested she do.

But I digress. The episode was a lot better when you watch it a second time. When I first watched it on TV on WEdnesday I was rather bored by it... started well but went downhill quickly. Watching it a second time made it a whole lot better, esp since I was looking for a lot of the Lindsay (and Danny) stuff.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow I can't believe that people actually replied to this thread. I'm so glad to see you all here. And I totally agree Cyko, it is better the second time around because you can pay more attention to detail.

8. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

This ep was definitely one of those for me. The frst time threw, I have to focus on the plot (the cases) and everything, so it's hard for me to pick up on more subtle details, and the interactions between the characters. Since this ep did not really have that great of cases, the character interactions were what saved it for me, making it great to rewatch.

9. audacity

audacity Pathologist

LOL! Unwritten_poem, your idea was great! ;)

Pizza, the characters did really make this episode a lot better!

I think these past episodes have shown that Lindsay is quite capable of exposing her emotions. I don't think in the beginning that they wanted to bring her in as someone who was emotionally charged. I certainly don't expect her to be this emotionally attached to each case, but it is nice to see a little persistance, and something different from her. :)

10. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

I'm intrested to see how Lindsay will react to Aiden's death next week, she's probably going to feel out of place, I wonder where tptb will place her in the case....if they give her the case at all. They might because she would be unbiased about the case.

11. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

I actually really hope that Lindsay doesn't get very emotional about it, because I think it will be really out of character for her. She never knew Aiden, it would since that she would be unbiased and not emotional. She might be the one to keep everyone else level.

12. cfar

cfar Pathologist

^ I agree, she's been emotional in the last two episodes and while I like that she can get emotional when the situation calls for it, I'd like to see her back on a more even-keel.

Since the rest of the team will obviously be upset about Aiden's death, I'd really like to see Lindsay remain more calm than she has been in the last two episodes. Since she didn't know Aiden, it would make sense for her to stay calm if for no other reason than the others (especially Danny) will need that influence. She will obviously be affected because her team will be in pain, but I'd like her role to be more comforting and reassuring ("we'll get him") rather than being upset on their behalf.

13. cyko1003

cyko1003 Rookie

^ cfar, I very much agree with everything you said in there. I can really see Lindsay playing the part of the "support beam", particularly to Danny, as well as to the rest of the team. In addition, it woudln't surprise me if she were one of the leaders on the case, since she would be the most unbiased. (If you think back to CSI when they killed off Eddie, Catherine wasn't allowed to work that case because of the personal connection, regardless of the fact that she hated Eddie at that point).

I don't foresee Lindsay getting emotional over Aiden... though it woudln't surprise me if there were at least SOME emotion, as long as it's not overdone. Sometimes when you're around someone who's extremely upset over the loss of a good friend, you get upset because they're upset, regardless of whether or not you knew the person who passed. I think it's going to be a difficult situation for her to be in, but hopefully she'll come through. :)

14. FlyGirl21

FlyGirl21 Hit and Run

Some emotion would be okay, as Aiden had been a fellow officer (in the camrade sense) and someone very close to the rest of the team, but I too tend to think that for the most part she will remain the level-headed one.

On the other hand, I can also see her distancing herself from the emotional aspect altogether. There will be enough emotions from the rest of the cast, and hers may well be the role of "unbiased support-beam" as cyko1003 so aptly put it. Playing this part, she may come across to some veiwers as cold-hearted, when in fact her emotional filter may be on so that she may remain the calm in the storm.

Pure speculation on my part obviously, as we are still a couple days away from the air date. :) Either way, it will be a balancing act, but I am quite sure that Anna will do an excellent job of pulling it off. :D

15. AlyssaluvsDanny

AlyssaluvsDanny Coroner

I agree Fly, I think the most we'll get of Lindsy in Heros is processing evidence. She didn't really know Aiden, so I dont see her getting too emotional like the rest of the team.

I cant wait for the season finale, though. It looks like she is going to do a great job in the ep. However, I do wish we could see some more pics instead of the one scene that was posted in the picture thread. Either way, it looks like a good ep.