"Let It Bleed" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Dear CSI,

I have been fooled by your promos for the last time. This week, you promised me a final scene that would "haunt" me.

What it did was make me wonder if I weren't a budding narcoleptic. "Let It Bleed" was a ponderous, rambling, disjointed episode that bored me to the verge of teeth-gnashing irritation. Perhaps you were attempting to have reality mirror the internal landscape of the characters, who are clearly still grappling with the ripple effects of Warrick's death, and if so, I give you tremendous kudos for hubris and moxie, but frankly, it makes for terrible TV. Aside from three minutes at the beginning when I was distracted by a rogue Oreo on the lam from my clutching fingers, I was attentive. I still had no idea what the hell was going on or why I should care.

Why should I give a damn about a spoiled cocaine princess who stuck her nose over the wrong dune of white powder and paid for it? Drug czar dauphine or not, I'm sure she had to sit through the same mind-numbing DARE lecture as the common booger miners, and at nineteen, she was certainly old enough to know that drugs were dangerous. She should also have known better than to snort an unknown substance like Horton getting a snootful of Who snoodge. She made a stupid choice. She paid for it. The end.

The only people I felt sorry for were the drug dauphine's aunt and best friend, whose only crime was to know her. The aunt gets shot because Daddy's girl gave her the slip? Newsflash, Pop: Maybe if you weren't a drug kingpin tossing cocaine around like table salt, your little snookums would never have come to see Bolivian snow as a party favor on par with a handful of Chex mix.

The friend gets shot because she left the club without her? Well, maybe if your woobums hadn't been so busy trying to find a finger for her love glove, she wouldn't have been flying solo. But of course neither of you are going to take responsibility for your foolish decisions, so everyone else has to pay.

I will concede, however, that I shed no tears over the removal of Mr. Hess and the two aquarium shop workers from the gene pool, as I often think such gross and willful stupidity should be punishable by use of a heavy mahogany cudgel wielded by very skilled and angry cricket players.

I assume I was supposed to be shocked by the fact that Daddy Drug Czar killed five people in one night. What I was was amazed that he managed to commit such violent crimes at four different crime scenes in such a short time and without being caught. Was he secretly a biliwig-smuggling wizard from HPverse, Apparating hither and yon to find his vengeance? Who gives a damn?

Speaking of WTF, shouldn't Lindsay be nineteen by now and therefore beyond the reach of Catherine's obnoxious mother-fu? I thought she was seventeen two seasons ago, when she was abducted by some nutbar on a quest to destroy Sam Braun? Or was it three seasons ago, in which case, she'd be twenty?

Either way, I don't care.

If my CW affiliate didn't emit high-pitched squeals akin to a gerbil imitating Rob Halford through its tiny, puckered asshole, I would've watched Supernatural instead.

F-, and the last miserable, disengaged hour I spend on this fading show.

I agree with parts of what you said but disaggreed with others. I do, however, want to congratulate you on being damn hilarious! Brilliant post!

Oh, and the thing where the blood didn't separate from the serum? They did that in the S5 episode Crows Feet and I believe the reason was hydrogen peroxide. The Continuity Fairy missed a major opportunity by not making mention of that little tidbit. Gil or Doc Robbins could have said something about the last time they saw this happen was in a case Nick and Catherine worked a few years ago, etc. Just one little throw away comment would've made me happy.
I thought I remembered this from a past episode, but couldn't recall which one. Thanks for pinpointing it! And yeah, the writers dropped the ball on that one. Even if it was unusual, since they had dealt with it in the past, they should have presented it that way instead of as a once-in-a-lifetime find.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. The new CSI is fitting in well, though I'm surprised at how much screen time she's getting. However, I think the writers are also missing the ball on not showing any grief from Nick. But I also believe that because they are creating that as an exit line for Grissom, they can't have Catherine, Nick and Grissom all being so angst-ridden, so they're skipping over Nick. Which, while I can understand it, is a mistake, IMO. That's another continuity problem, because the way Nick has been developed as a character, he wore his heart out on his sleeve. The complete and utter absence of that now, in the aftermath of Warrick's death, is completely out of character, IMO.

I liked the episode and thought the screen time was divided nicely. I don't see how Riley got more scenes than the others when every time she was on, she was with one of the others... therefore it was kind of even I think. The only scene where she wasn't with another CSI was the very last montage where her and Vartann found the drug guys' bodies.

Here are my thoughts while watching:

That zombie guy at the beginning made me chuckle a little.

Nick's face when the guy jumped out the window was like :eek:

"Guy's robbed his last liquor store." :lol: So stating the obvious there. haha.

"You know Nicky, you're lucky you're not in here too." That's quite the reprimand there, Gil!

"Finish puberty somewhere else." :lol:

"It's one thing when kids dress up as cops on Halloween, but when adults do it, it never ends well." So true, Brass, so true.

Rocky the flying squirrel. :guffaw:I so love Brass!

"What's the matter you don't want to share your toys?" :guffaw:

Aww, Greg looks cute (as usual). He and Riley work well together. :)

Is Grissom's hearing messing up again or was he just zoned out?

Grissom doesn't know where Sara is? Hmm... that's very telling me thinks. :shifty:

Girl in cop uniform looks kind of like Paris Hilton. :lol:

Aww... Cath and Lindsey's scene in Cath's office was kind of sweet. :lol: at her getting the cop to give her a breathalizer test. Smart girl!

Barry Wunderlick? :lol: at Brass' response to that name.

What happened to "the last scene will haunt you"? The aunt dead is haunting? Huh? I saw that coming the whole time! In fact the only person killed by the girl's father that surprised me was the girl's best friend.

I loved the plot of this episode. Every part of the story had a creepy factor to it. Hess fell safely on the evil-to-sleazy spectrum, and he made a very creepy dead guy in the last scene. The overarching shadow cast by the DB's drug lord father was sufficiently creepifying. The two relatively well-meaning coke-processing cog-in-wheel types that ended up killing the girl really didn't seem like bad guys. Yeah, they were stupid, and engaged in criminal activities, but their intentions clearly weren't that bad. The way they were introduced as alive, but only killed in the last few minutes of the show definitely contributed to the creepiness.

Overall, IMO, the creepiest part was how the drug lord could just issue a death warrant like that. It felt like something out of a utopian novel, or some out-of-control authoritarian regime. It wasn't creepy in its depiction of unnatural things -- like mixed up blood, or such -- but in its depiction of a truly cold, merciless human being. I mean he executed five people without having met them (aside from his sister). It was a disgustingly warped crime of passion. I don't really find the supernatural type of stuff at all haunting, but the depiction of such a genuinely evil character, who isn't even motivated by some breach in intelligence or mental capacity, but who instead commits crimes with such a calculated intent and apathy for his victims, was quite haunting. The fact that he never even made a physical appearance in the episode -- like he was, instead, a looming, authoritative figure with almost godlike (or maybe Big Brother-like) control over the visible characters -- made him even creepier, and the episode, as a result, that much more haunting.

This episode clearly had a lot that it had to accomplish (continuing to develop Riley at a reasonable pace, Halloween episode, showing some remnants of Warrick grief, etc.) and I feel like it generally accomplished these things as well as it could have.

Overall, it was a strong episode -- definitely better than most of S8.

Just like everyone else is saying, mopey Grissom is getting boring. I liked the old Grissom better, back when he only got emotional over cases, like the S1 baby killed. I can understand that his new behavior is logical, from a psychological standpoint, but it's just not that enjoyable to watch. Then again, a more ardent Grissom and/or GSR fan might appreciate it more. As someone rather tired of GSR and emo-Grissom, I didn't find it at all entertaining or emotionally evocative. Also, it feels like a lot of the little nonverbal things WP had in the past -- how he could convey so much in a dialogue with just a pointed stare or smirk of some sort -- seems to have been lost with emoGrissom. It seems like he always has the same scowl on his face.

I'd rather see some emotion from some other characters. It felt weird to have Grissom suddenly painted as Warrick's father figure. I know Grissom had always played that role on the team, but, for the life of me, I can't remember any genuine bonding/emotional/sentimental moments between the two of them since S1. Nick and Cath are still the only ones who I've really seen having real, personal interactions with Warrick.

I loved the nonverbal stuff between Greg and Riley. It feels like everything they've really given ES has been nonverbal, and he just keeps getting better and better with it. Still, what happened to the exorbitantly verbose DNA tech? It feels like he's gone from chatterbox to mute in the past few seasons! TPTB- if you read this, please give Greg his personality back! He used to be my favorite character on tv. Now he barely speaks, let alone about anything unrelated to his cases.

This is the last time I'm going to try to post my thoughts on the episode. I HATE VISTA :mad:

Okay, the party girl thing is predictable. Didn't she know what coke looks like? It would taste differnt than atripine (or however you spell it} don't you think?
The guys who tried so save her.. umm yeah. That is an urban legand. I'm surprised Vartann didn't have some comment about the gene pool.

Two episodes in a row with Det. Vartann... :drool: I appreciate that.

Gil and Cath scene was perfect. That is what I have always liked about them, they know each other. They complete each other's sentances. Gil didn't have to say a thing to Cath and she knew he wasn't getting much sleep either.
And it was Vartann that interrupted them. :D

I wonder if his comment to the girls aunt wasn't more of a way of easing his own feelings about Warrick.

I loved the Cath/Lindsey club scene. Average teenagers don't get kidnapped like in BTK they sneek into dance clubs with Fake ID's.
Cath handled it with maturity and restraint. I think both characters are growing and maturiting in their mother/daughter relationship.

As for the end, the haunting idea is probably that you can't trust anyone. And your actions do have consequences. Very haunting and daunting if you think about it.

Overall, a good episode. Sort of like the ones in Season 4 and 4.

I've started watching CSI on a regular basis again and I really enjoyed this episode. I don't think it was as strong as the previous week and I think it got a little bogged down in the middle, but the ending made up for. I'm liking how all of the characters are gelling together. I think thev're really got it narrowed down to the perfect amount of first-billed characters.

Okay, the party girl thing is predictable. Didn't she know what coke looks like? It would taste differnt than atripine (or however you spell it} don't you think?
As someone else noted, she snorted it, and almost as quickly as she'd done that, the damage was done.

The guys who tried so save her.. umm yeah. That is an urban legand. I'm surprised Vartann didn't have some comment about the gene pool.
But as you could see, these guys weren't too bright, especially the one who came up with this idea. You could tell he had no idea about blood types, but was just going off something he'd heard. Besides, both of them knew what would happen if Daddy's little girl was found dead, and they were linked to it in any way. (Of course, it appears that given the situation the one guy talked about -- where the daughter came out without a scratch, but the driver was later killed -- they were dead anyway.) They weren't the brightest crayons in the box, to begin with. Add desperation to that mix, and it never ends well.

REPEATING THURSDAY FEBRUARY 5, 2009
Air Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008
Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
Episode Title: (#904) "Let It Bleed"

THE CSI TEAM INVESTIGATES THE SUSPICIOUS DEATH OF A YOUNG WOMAN WHO TURNS OUT TO BE THE DAUGHTER OF A WANTED CRIMINAL. - During the course of an investigation, the CSIs discover that their victim, a young woman who was murdered and found with several different blood types in her system, is the daughter of a wanted criminal. - Nick and Riley witness a man in a police costume rob a convenience store. They then must help the rest of the team investigate the death of a young woman who turns out to be the daughter of a big time drug lord wanted by FBI, CIA, and DEA. They discover with security camera footage that she was thrown out of a club by two bouncers earlier that night. When Catherine and Riley go to the club Catherine discovers her daughter Lindsey there with a fake ID.
For more info see page/post one. ;)

REPEATING THURSDAY FEBRUARY 5, 2009
Air Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008
Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
Episode Title: (#904) "Let It Bleed"

THE CSI TEAM INVESTIGATES THE SUSPICIOUS DEATH OF A YOUNG WOMAN WHO TURNS OUT TO BE THE DAUGHTER OF A WANTED CRIMINAL. - During the course of an investigation, the CSIs discover that their victim, a young woman who was murdered and found with several different blood types in her system, is the daughter of a wanted criminal. - Nick and Riley witness a man in a police costume rob a convenience store. They then must help the rest of the team investigate the death of a young woman who turns out to be the daughter of a big time drug lord wanted by FBI, CIA, and DEA. They discover with security camera footage that she was thrown out of a club by two bouncers earlier that night. When Catherine and Riley go to the club Catherine discovers her daughter Lindsey there with a fake ID.
For more info see page/post one. ;)

I actually enjoyed this episode more this time round then when it first aired.

Loved the Nick chasing scene. Very funny actually. My daughter said, "Oh mom, look at Nick's muscles."

And I loved the tiny scene with Mandy, wow those two have great chemistry, very cute and flirty. It was the only time we saw Nick smile in the whole episode without there being an irony or amusement at a stupid crime behind it.

Back