Jump the Shark Discussion Thread

I realize that many peoople think the ending of One to Go was a) atypical CSI, b) a case of "jumping the shark," and/or c) an example of ruining a "perfect ending." I agree with the first two, though I still loved the episode. And, as for "jumping the shark," I feel compelled to remind others of the rather unbelievable things we've believed as viewers:

a) an exotic dancer becomes a CSI, and a damned good one at that:
b) an abused girl, who spent some time, possible the last third of her childhood, in foster care, also became a CSI (and a damned good one at that);
c) a deliriously handsome, super-smart, Shakespeare-quoting, gentle forensic entomologist has seemingly avoided serious relationships until his what? late 40s or early 50s?;
d) a man who grew up with only his grandmother, has a history of gambling addiction and drug problems, also managed to have a rather impressive career as a CSI.

I could go on (particularly if I discussed cases on CSI) -- the point is this: shows stretch believability and, IMHO, CSI has consistently done this so well that most of the time, we're hardly aware of what we're being convinced to believe. My favorite: what CSI would crawl through a sewer in a white tank top? Well, Catherine Willows of course? And follow it up with a near-kiss with Warrick Brown!!

If CSI really "jumped the shark" with "One to Go," at least they did it so beautifully that I'm just wishing that, damn, I had me a Grissom, particularly in a lush jungle. Monkeys and all.

weehee.gif
to you erep well done and so right on, I agree with your analysis of the whole team, they came from such adversity and rose to be top-notch CSI's! except I'm with him in the rainforest!

Again this is about opinion, not about whose right or wrong.

Again this is about opinion, not about whose right or wrong.
Well, disagreeing with what others have said still counts as an opinion. ;) erep was just pointing out that we suspend our disbelief a lot of the time while watching these shows, so things are already 'out there' a bit to begin with - at what point does it become 'jump the shark' material? (Which is, of course, the point of this thread, for all of us to say if we feel the shows have crossed that line or not. :D)

However, that being said, let's make sure this doesn't turn into a discussion of what is or isn't 'believable' on the show - not that it isn't an interesting discussion, but if we keep going in that direction, things will get off-topic. (If someone wants to start a thread about it, however, that would be great. :D *hint hint this forum needs some love* ;))

For my part, I didn't have a problem with Grissom going to be with Sara in the jungle, but I thought the way that it was done was pretty cheesy - him walking out of the lab was poignant, and then they dumped Cheez Whiz over the top, which felt like tacked-on fanservice IMO. Do I think it was a 'jump the shark' moment? I dunno. I think it was more ':wtf:...:rolleyes:' for me than a real jump the shark moment in itself. If they wanted to show him in the jungle with her, I would have preferred something more subtle.

On the last scene Faylinn I thought it was very subtle, him walking very slowly, and watching her for a second, her turning around, slowly, the eye contact, and the big hug and kiss, How could it have been any more subtle or more romantic? Just like to hear others views on how it could have ended anymore perfect:confused:

On the last scene Faylinn I thought it was very subtle, him walking very slowly, and watching her for a second, her turning around, slowly, the eye contact, and the big hug and kiss, How could it have been any more subtle or more romantic? Just like to hear others views on how it could have ended anymore perfect:confused:

Well, I agree that the walk through the lab was absolutely awesome...very poignant and bittersweet. I would have been happy if it left off there, except that I knew it would start a whole "did he or didn't he go to Sara" debate. :)

Not being a ship fan (of any kind), I would have been happy just to have some other indication of what he was going to do without seeing the whole jungle thing. Maybe a phone call to her from his empty apartment saying he'll be there soon or something.

Not romantic, I know, but that's my preference. :)

I know this isn't the "One to Go" thread, so I'll just add that *if* LV ever jumped the shark, then yes...I think it was with GSR. Sorry, but I do.

The ending was not for everyone's taste as not everyone likes or liked GSR. Not everyone liked this ship, Desertwind, and no matter how much you try and convince us otherwise you're not gonna change our minds. And the fans of GSR didn't help with their fanaticism-not all fans, but many, many fans.

Just like not everyone is going to like Danny and Lindsey on New York, or Calleigh and Delko or other ships on CSI.

But shipping is part of fandom of any show which goes back to Star Trek.

Sorry Faylinn-back on topic.

Actually, I think that the whole shipping/relationships thing on the shows being jump the shark moments is not all that off topic.

Some people think that GSR was the greatest thing in the history of CSI and that that is what the show's been building up to, others....well, they think it's the moment where the show jumped the shark. Not everyone has the same opinions, and that's a good thing. It's when there's respectful discourse that we learn some interesting things. The problem is, especially when it comes to shipping, not everyone can keep it respectful.

I know a lot of Anti-GSR people felt that it's been crammed down everyone's throats against a lot of people's will. Same thing with DannyLindsay on New York. They feel it's unrealistic, too much and drags (or dragged) the show(s) down.

To keep it on topic, I think that with the romances being Canon, there has to be a balance with it. I think that New York is definitely in danger of jumping the shark with all the intra-office smooching going on. Everyone jumping into bed together is not realistic.

I honestly would have felt the same way if all of a sudden it were revealed that not only was Grissom with Sara, but Catherine was with Warrick, Nick was with Mandy and Hodges was with Wendy, or if any/all the other possible pairings I'd seen, slash, het, or otherwise became Canon. If that had happened, I'd definitely think that the show had jumped the shark, big time.

And honestly, in response to Desertwind's question Re: a better ending, if Grissom had gotten into his car, and there had been a picture of Sara on the dashboard and a ticket to Costa Rica, that would have done me just fine. It would have said all that needed to be said. He's going to Sara, they'll be in Costa Rica, end...IMO, not quite as good as ending with him doing his walk through the lab, but still, would have worked.

The ending was not for everyone's taste as not everyone likes or liked GSR. Not everyone liked this ship, Desertwind, and no matter how much you try and convince us otherwise you're not gonna change our minds. And the fans of GSR didn't help with their fanaticism-not all fans, but many, many fans.

Just like not everyone is going to like Danny and Lindsey on New York, or Calleigh and Delko or other ships on CSI.

But shipping is part of fandom of any show which goes back to Star Trek.

Sorry Faylinn-back on topic.

You know I have to agree with you in retrospect to the GSR "fanatics". I am a GSR shipper and I tend to get somewhat fanatical about it. But I also understand that there are other things in the show and other people. If you notice the GSR moments in any given episode, you'll notice they are relatively short(30 seconds many times)but the talk about it goes on and on. And I can see for someone who doesn't like GSR how that would become bothersome when you're trying to have a conversation about a show and all some people can concentrate on is one very small aspect of it.

Sorry if this is off topic but I just wanted to say that not all GSR fans are blind to anything else that goes on in CSI-land...

You know I have to agree with you in retrospect to the GSR "fanatics". I am a GSR shipper and I tend to get somewhat fanatical about it. But I also understand that there are other things in the show and other people. If you notice the GSR moments in any given episode, you'll notice they are relatively short(30 seconds many times)but the talk about it goes on and on. And I can see for someone who doesn't like GSR how that would become bothersome when you're trying to have a conversation about a show and all some people can concentrate on is one very small aspect of it.

Sorry if this is off topic but I just wanted to say that not all GSR fans are blind to anything else that goes on in CSI-land...

That is exactly the feeling I believe most of us, (if you want to call us Anti-GSRers, I guess) feel. Your post hit the nail on the head.:thumbsup:

Relationships on the show are definitely relevant to the conversation if someone thinks that causes them to jump the shark - be it GSR, Danny/Lindsay, Horatio/Marisol, Warrick/Tina, Mac/Peyton or whatever else. So discuss that (from both sides of the issue) to your heart's content (as long as it stays civil :p).

However, that being said, let's refrain from talking about other posters.

I have another jump the shark moment which is sure to stir up stuff!

I truly believe that in the episode "For Warrick", that Grissom being the first one to arrive,was a jump the shark/common sense moment. Anyone who has seen "For Gedda" is aware of the circumstances. In a way, many believe that it was a play to get WP an emmy by having him respond instead of, say, Nick, the logical choice. Especially since we were told all summer that Nick would be the one to find him, then once WP's departure is finally in motion, Grissom is the one to find him.

Any thoughts?

I have another jump the shark moment which is sure to stir up stuff!

I truly believe that in the episode "For Warrick", that Grissom being the first one to arrive,was a jump the shark/common sense moment. Anyone who has seen "For Gedda" is aware of the circumstances. In a way, many believe that it was a play to get WP an emmy by having him respond instead of, say, Nick, the logical choice. Especially since we were told all summer that Nick would be the one to find him, then once WP's departure is finally in motion, Grissom is the one to find him.

Any thoughts?

My thought? They knew Billy was leaving and therefore had to add things that would make him feel the need to go. Having his "rock" die in his arms would certainly be a strong catalyst to his leaving. Now whether this was the logical choice for who to find Warrick? Not really. Grissom left first. Yeah okay he was reading a magazine but.. Wait a minute... When Warrick left the diner he went to his right if I'm not mistaken. We didn't see him turn that I remember so Grissom would have had to run past the diner to get to Warrick's car right? Or am I completely off base?

I'm another one who just doesn't like the whole Danny-Lindsay thing and I'm afraid it's going to ruin the show I love! I never felt and chemistry between them and thought it was over between them. All of a sudden, they're in love and having a baby?

They should have put Anna behind desks.

This is a BIG shark - jump.

Maybe Danny will wake up from a dream at the start of the next season . . .

nver

I'm another one who just doesn't like the whole Danny-Lindsay thing and I'm afraid it's going to ruin the show I love! I never felt and chemistry between them and thought it was over between them. All of a sudden, they're in love and having a baby?

They should have put Anna behind desks.

This is a BIG shark - jump.

Maybe Danny will wake up from a dream at the start of the next season . . .

nver

That would be Dallas and not NY.......I don't think Danny is Pamela and I really don't think he'll open up his bathroom door to Lindsey in his shower.:lol:

He could wake up, realize the past few seasons were a dream, and open up the bathroom door to see Adam in the shower. That would be a twist and a half. :lol:

And a total jump the shark moment, but dang would people be talking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He could wake up, realize the past few seasons were a dream, and open up the bathroom door to see Adam in the shower. That would be a twist and a half. :lol:

And a total jump the shark moment, but dang would people be talking! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!! :lol: And so true, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

As for NY... For me, that whole pregnancy thing was not a Jump the shark moment... no, it came WAY earlier... the moment, Danny slept with that other woman and Lindsay played dramaqueen on losing her best friend etc. THAT was a true Jump the Shark moment... :shifty:

As for Miami - the day they did a pilot. :lol: No, I am kidding... I am not watching...

As for LV... in fact, to me, they have been close but not entirely jumped the shark. But I have to admit, it's not my fave show, so I bear more that a die hard fan. I could stand GSR, the huge logical gaps in "For Grissom" and so on, so I am still on board.

Back