Jump the Shark Discussion Thread

Well if Jumping The Shark means that a TV Show will try some kind of stunt to increase low ratings well then none of the CSI's would qualify. They are all highly rated. If you really want to talk about something done for a potential ratings boost then that would be having Tarentino come in to direct Grave Danger for LV. But to be honest, I don't think CSI has ever done things for ratings. Then again when you've hit number one in season 2(according to Anthony Zuiker in the commentary on Ellie) and have stayed number one throughout, I can't imagine anything they've done being sooooooooo bad that anyone could call it Jumping The Shark....

Last edited:
You do realize that the only reason that Lindsey is pregnant is because the actress is and they didn't want to keep hiding her behind lab tables, boxes of evidence, etc. They decided to write it into the show.
Yeah, I know that's why they did it (although I still think that's lame since they had to hide her until they revealed it and they'll probably have to give Anna a fake bump to wear since the character will be pregnant longer than her - so they write it in and still have to work around it) - but I think there are a dozen ways they could have done it and had it be more realistic. Retroactively trying to write off a major storyline from last season, telling us about their relationship instead of actually showing it on screen for all those episodes, going from zero to sixty with showing it, etc - it all seems very lazy and sloppy to me.

Also, they should have dealt with things in a way that was more believable. It's obvious that Lindsay wouldn't be able to work around chemicals - so why not say she has to stay in the AV lab during her pregnancy? Why make up some lie about how it's a-okay for her to be working with the dangerous stuff? The show always forces you to suspend your disbelief, but when it comes to things like babies and relationships (to repeat myself), I really think those things should be realistic despite any wonky science.

Making up the fact that two people with a kid or who are married (should they go there) can work on the same shift or in the same precinct was just stupid, too. People who are in police departments have said that's not true, so saying it just makes TPTB look bad IMO. If you want to do something that's against policy, just say, 'We're taking creative liberties.' But if you claim that you're trying to emulate the real NYPD, at least acknowledge when your television rules don't necessarily match up to the real world rules.

[/rambling] :lol: Basically, the shoddy handling of this storyline carries a hint of desperation with it, and that's what's making me keep an eye on the water for sharks. As Kasey82800 said, none of these shows has necessarily 'jumped the shark' if we're only taking it to mean that they're doing it for ratings - however, I do think that, on some level, everything they do is for ratings.

I agree in the technical sense of what "jump the shark" means none of them have since they've maintained high ratings. But I think each viewer can have their own "jump the shark" moments when the shows just get too ridiculous or go to far with a story line or are too unbelivable even for fiction, and that's what I would say this thread is for although since I didn't start it I can't say for sure what the intended purpose is.

I also am fully aware that TPTB at NY made Lindsay pregnant because Anna Belknap is. That's one of the reasons it has the potential to be a "jump the shark" thing for me. Shoving a pregnancy into the show to accomodate an actress who in an interview complained about having to "act not pregnant when you are" - or whatever the quote was without regard to how it fits with the character's stories up to this point is just plain stupid. It makes no sense with the way these characters acted in S4 and TPTB are expecting the viewers to just ignore that and go with the new version of events they've backtracked on and changed or made up after the fact. Tying Danny and Lindsay together for the duration of the series could ruin watching it for me. Like I said, it hasn't jumped yet, but there is huge potential for it to do that.

But I think each viewer can have their own "jump the shark" moments when the shows just get too ridiculous or go to far with a story line or are too unbelivable even for fiction, and that's what I would say this thread is for although since I didn't start it I can't say for sure what the intended purpose is.
That's how I'm looking at it - while the original meaning of the phrase may be one thing, it has come to have a broader meaning (the time when the show just becomes over-the-top ridiculous for some of the viewers). Plus, the broad meaning creates more opportunity for discussion. ;)

Interesting on GSR:confused: if you've watched the show for 9 years there's mega times it showed them and their relationship" and he asked her to marry him so I doubt that happened overnight~Ecklie: to Grissom "How long have you and Sara been together" Grissom "9 years" and he asks "Why didn't you tell me" and Gil goes 'We didn't want you to know" and in the "Ala Cart" ep. "you had a pony tail" showing they were connected even before CSI, days. Even if I wasn't a GSR shipper I would have remembered all their 'special moments' and knew this was a long time affair, so it didn't "jump the shark" some things like when Catherine wept over Keppler getting killed, she knew him 4 week's not 4 years, so tacky and silly and ridiculous and Grissom walking away with her, talk about cheesy, that one "jumped the shark "

Oh lordy! Here we go. I do believe this is about opinion, right? As in, there is no right or wrong answer?

IN MY OPINION, GSR has jumped the shark on a number of occasions. But, before this turns into a GSR vs. Anti-GSR thread (because really, where does that get us?), I'll finish with this; I really should start watching NY and Miami. They seem like alright shows. But it also seems like they've jumped the shark more than the original! Holy cow!:eek:

Hmm this is interesting.

I guess that for me GSR was a huh? :wtf: moment. Grissom changed, the great banter between Cath and him changed and it just didn't make sense to me. But I do have to say that it was what made me start watching Miami and now I'm a total Miami fan :cool:.

As for Miami... even though I love it the super-H thing is really annoying. Thank God it's been toned down a bit in the last couple of episodes but I just know it'll lurk it's big head right back one of these days.

NY: I really do not like how they've handled the whole Lindsay/Danny thing. I don't think the writers have a clue of what exactly they want to do with them. It's weird and contradictory. But I do have to say that even though I think it hasn't been handled correctly it was even worse when they brought in Reuben's mom and had Danny sleep with her. That was just...ugh! :wtf: :rolleyes:

Did anyone find the very end of this week's CSI a little shark jumpy? It was a beautiful episode until then. I loved how each of the characters got to have their moment with Grissom. It was handled very sweet and gentle, without tears and histrionics. Then they had to blow it with the last scene. Just annoyed me.

Yes very much so. I agree 100%. But the episode drew in 24.25 million viewers, so it must have gone right some where... *shrugs and shakes head* :wtf:

Although I for one loved the last scene of One To Go, I realize that it was totally different from anything else we've ever seen on CSI:LV. That said, could it be jumping the shark? Yeah I could buy that...

Every show has to jump the shark and CSI did it as well.

As for LV I think it jumped the shark with:
-GSR: sorry for all the shippers (btw I do like them and I'm gad they're together), but creating a couple in a show like CSI is jumping the shark, IMHO:
I don't mind which couple it is, to me it's a little bit too much :p
Look at Grissom's goodbye. It was fantastic till the whole jungle stuff :lol:. I know that it was made to let the audience know they're together and they'll live together, but I found it too much. It ruined his goodbye.
I think Alexx's (the M.E. of Miami) goodbye was far better than this one just because of this aspect.

Same thing also for NY with the whole Lindse/Danny stuff. Though, I don't watch CSI:NY 'cause I don't get it that much.

As for Miami well they jumep the shark lots of times.
- First of all with the whole mole thing. It could have been far more interesting, if it hadn't been that obvuous that the mole was Natalia. I thought it was here, immediatly.

-the whole E/C stuff since "Man Down". There was no way the could have build it up, without the GSW on Eric's head. They opted for this disgusting choice, IMO as a paramedic, and since that moment we have the most distusting episodes ever, som plotlines which are way too far from realisim like Horatio's fake death or Eric's shrink dead and Eric reading his shrink's files :rolleyes:.

I'll always say that romance is something CSI should avoid if they wanted to on being the great show it used to be ;)

Did anyone find the very end of this week's CSI a little shark jumpy? It was a beautiful episode until then. I loved how each of the characters got to have their moment with Grissom. It was handled very sweet and gentle, without tears and histrionics. Then they had to blow it with the last scene. Just annoyed me.

No, you're not the only one that found that annoying. I wouldn't say that it was shark jumpy, but that's a personal thing. I definitely thought it brought an episode that was until that moment a perfect ten down to about 7.5-8. Shame, because if they hadn't included it, It would have been a great exit.

I realize that many peoople think the ending of One to Go was a) atypical CSI, b) a case of "jumping the shark," and/or c) an example of ruining a "perfect ending." I agree with the first two, though I still loved the episode. And, as for "jumping the shark," I feel compelled to remind others of the rather unbelievable things we've believed as viewers:

a) an exotic dancer becomes a CSI, and a damned good one at that:
b) an abused girl, who spent some time, possible the last third of her childhood, in foster care, also became a CSI (and a damned good one at that);
c) a deliriously handsome, super-smart, Shakespeare-quoting, gentle forensic entomologist has seemingly avoided serious relationships until his what? late 40s or early 50s?;
d) a man who grew up with only his grandmother, has a history of gambling addiction and drug problems, also managed to have a rather impressive career as a CSI.

I could go on (particularly if I discussed cases on CSI) -- the point is this: shows stretch believability and, IMHO, CSI has consistently done this so well that most of the time, we're hardly aware of what we're being convinced to believe. My favorite: what CSI would crawl through a sewer in a white tank top? Well, Catherine Willows of course? And follow it up with a near-kiss with Warrick Brown!!

If CSI really "jumped the shark" with "One to Go," at least they did it so beautifully that I'm just wishing that, damn, I had me a Grissom, particularly in a lush jungle. Monkeys and all.

And, as for "jumping the shark," I feel compelled to remind others of the rather unbelievable things we've believed as viewers:

b) an abused girl, who spent some time, possible the last third of her childhood, in foster care, also became a CSI (and a damned good one at that);
c) a deliriously handsome, super-smart, Shakespeare-quoting, gentle forensic entomologist has seemingly avoided serious relationships until his what? late 40s or early 50s?;
d) a man who grew up with only his grandmother, has a history of gambling addiction and drug problems, also managed to have a rather impressive career as a CSI.

I don't really see people overcoming personal problems to become successful as "unbelivable." People can come from abusive backgrounds, have addictions, have what other people might call "questionable" pasts or not have fallen in love or have romantic relationships until later in life and still be intelligent and successful in their chosen profession. It happens every day to a lot of people.

I realize that many peoople think the ending of One to Go was a) atypical CSI, b) a case of "jumping the shark," and/or c) an example of ruining a "perfect ending." I agree with the first two, though I still loved the episode. And, as for "jumping the shark," I feel compelled to remind others of the rather unbelievable things we've believed as viewers:

I could go on (particularly if I discussed cases on CSI) -- the point is this: shows stretch believability and, IMHO, CSI has consistently done this so well that most of the time, we're hardly aware of what we're being convinced to believe. My favorite: what CSI would crawl through a sewer in a white tank top? Well, Catherine Willows of course? And follow it up with a near-kiss with Warrick Brown!!

If CSI really "jumped the shark" with "One to Go," at least they did it so beautifully that I'm just wishing that, damn, I had me a Grissom, particularly in a lush jungle. Monkeys and all.

weehee.gif
to you erep well done and so right on, I agree with your analysis of the whole team, they came from such adversity and rose to be top-notch CSI's! except I'm with him in the rainforest!

Back