Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No opinion--I watch for the crime!

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. When is Hawkes going to get some loving???

15 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I voted YES although I wouldn't exactly call DL a romance. It's more of a confusion and a nightmare romance. Danny and Rikki showed more emotion in one short scene than Danny and Lindsay have shown in three FULL seasons.

Someone said that Flack and Angell was just flirting. I believe that kiss was more than flirting although I'm not certain they're actually dating yet. I got the feeling they were when she invited him for Irish coffee and he suggest their usual place. Tells me they've went out for coffee before whether as just friends and co-workers or as more. Some people thought DL were together after NWILL and some after Danny went to Montana so I don't see why that kiss between Flack and Angell couldn't signify a romance.

It's all overkill. Yes people date but how many places of employment is EVERYBODY romantically involved with each other (with the exception of Sid who is married and Hawkes)?? It happens on all tv shows because it's easier than bringing in guest stars as love interests. I'd much rather focus on the cases and the banter between co-workers.

2. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

My answer is a big NO. Relationships of any kind always attract to me in any show (crime, spy dramas, comedy, etc, etc)

So far i haven't seen ANY romance.

DL? I don't consider they had a relationship so their romance doesn't exists. Sex and nothing beyond

Flack and Angell? to be convinced they are "in a relationship" a long time must be passed. Only time will tell but they are two characters i really like (in special Don who is my third fav character after Stella and Mac)

Adam and Stella? It doesn't work at all. Kinda a flirtatious scene between a brother and a sister

Mac and Gillian? ZERO chemistry. They don't exist. They SUCK together (despite of i have been a Julia fan for a long time. I really like British artists)

The only couple that could work but TPTB NEVER TRIED (because they don't have time enough to think properly in some intelligent way) is SMACked
    Even in pictures you can tell Gary and Melina have a great chemistry together. I can't help but having in my mind that pic with Melina embrassing Gary from behind in that 100 th anniversary party. And they were off cameras!!!!!! Could you imagine Mac and Stella in a scene like that??????

Again TPTB decides the wrong path :(

Debbie

ps:
    Elwood, THANKS from the bottom of my heart for putting in words what i had in my brain :D

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I happened to enjoy the romance between Mac and Peyton. It was handled in a much more mature way than DL ever has been.

They haven't exactly shown us anything romantic between the two of them yet unless Mac asking her out for coffee was supposed to be romantic. I'll need to see more of them together before I make a decision as to what I think of them. Personally, I think Jordan was a better match for Mac than Gillian.

I love Mac and Stella. I love the type of non-romantic relationship they have. If they did choose to get them together, I'd rather see it near the end of the series. I certainly wouldn't want them screwed up like DL. That one is bad enough.

Awww, I think they're cute and yeah, they're kinda like brother and sister but that's the way I see Mac and Stella too.

4. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

I think they place to much emphasis on the relationships, they try to hard to hook people up.

Mac and Peyton worked for me up until Raising Shane after that Peyton seemed to have her backbone removed and turned into a whiny clinging "you do adore me don’t you" pain in the butt. But that was the writers fault not the actresses fault.

Jordan was very irritating and came across as a potential stalker....whining on about how she didn’t know who Reed was when everyone else did. If I had been Stella I would have decked her or told her to grow up.

As for the new interest Gillian, we haven’t seen any romance except Mac asking her out for coffee. I will say that the whole "She looked Back...Nice!" comment was out of place and out of character for Mac and grated on me in the ep. But I will reserve judgment until I see her again. But I am not hopeful that the writers will get it right.

Stella’s fireman hasn’t featured enough to comment and all we really have is the one scene in Turbulence to go on as far as that hook up is concerned.

As for Adam Stella I think that is just an office crush on Adams part and that I can take, and so far it has been written well and played well by both AJ and Melina.

Danny and Lindsay still have NO chemistry as far as I can see and as a couple irritate the hell out of me..I really don’t think the relationship has done either character any favors. I am ambivalent towards Danny’s character at best lately, and that’s a shame because I loved the character. And I feel Lindsay's character has been smothered by the supposed romance angle.

Flack Angell were far better as a flirting couple. I will be disappointed if they go down the romance route.

When will the writers realize that hinting at a relationship, or teasing the audience garners a better result than forcing things down their throats.

So in closing do I think they are overdoing it...HELL YES!

5. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Agreed. Anything is more mature than DL at this point:lol: well i guess i'm in a sort of denial about Peyton and Mac. Their affair was unilateral. Peyton demanded attention and time. He was generous and he decided to pleased her (See the end of Silent Night what he said to her) but never compromised his feelings. Yes he was affected when she dumped him and he was fond of her so it was a normal reaction to the breaking;)

Understand me. I'm a SMACked fan (who literally was Smacked by writers' lousy taste):lol::lol::lol::lol:. Writers tried to convinced us Mac was really "having a serious crush" on her at the end with that OOC scene "She looked back? Nice" (sorry i don't remember the line very well. I erased it from my mind :D ) About Jordan she was simply obnoxious. She was demanding rights on Mac's life (for example when she asked Stella why she didn't inform her about Reed and Mac's relationship) and she didn't have any right!!!!!!!
    Oh yes!! i must say the same. I wouldn't like a cheesy storyline to put together Mac and Stella. They are way much more interesting than DL;) But at the same time i consider it's a pity.For me because i'm a SMACked fan and i don't want to wait any longer .And for everyone else because it would be a real waste if something happens only at the end
    For me i can't see them as a brother and sister. They are very "awared" of each other. There were akwards moments between them (nice moments) where the sexual tension was in the air (1.23 for example). Both of them know this. Meanwhile if you analyze Adam and Stella 's relationship well...you can bet they are the two of the cutest and lovely people on tv:bolian: but she protects him as a sister to a baby brother. Mac and Stella are equals. Adam and Stella are not (and they still are adorable :D

6. Sam-Maddy

Sam-Maddy Rookie

I like a little insight to their personal lives. One of the things that drives me crazy about Law & Order: SVU is that you get a tiny glimpse into their personal lives every now and again and when you do have an episode feature a spouse or significant other it feels a little disjointed.

I admit I like Flack and Angell together, but I want them to take it slow so it doesn't become too much too fast and burn out. I agree with those who don't want Angell to just be Flack's girlfriend. She's a good cop, I don't want it to be one of those relationships where Flack worries every time she's out working a case or interrogating a suspect.

I think it's sweet that Adam has a crush on Stella, but I don't think I can see her returning his feelings. I just hope she lets him down gently.

7. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

No, I don't think their is too much romance on CSI New York. It is nice to see them have personal lives outside of work as long as they don't drag it too much into the storylines.

8. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Yes but doesnt anyone think that there are far more interesting things they could do for the characters and the viewers than just hook everyone up. :brickwall::brickwall:

What about Facks father the famous cop I could see some interesting conflict there.

What about Dannys brother Louie, or Dannys father.

We dont know anything about Mac other than his father died. Are there any brothers or sisters.. Someone from his Marine past could show up *cough....Gibbs....:)* and stir up some past issues.

Stella's past in the orphanage could be looked into, possibly a link to who left her there.

There are far more interesting things out there than contrived and poorly written romance....and dropping it in that everyone (except Sheldon and Adam..mind you they do have the crush on Stella thing with Adam) is in or starting a relationships in the space of 9 episodes smacks of very lazy writing.

I would love to learn more about their personal lives, but I want to learn more about the characters than who they are getting horizontal with.:scream:

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Agreed completely. Personal life doesn't equal romantic relationship. Yeah, that's part of someone's personal life, but TPTB make it seem like that's all there is to team's personal lives. They did bring Sam into the picture, which is nice, but it's not enough. Show more of what makes these people tick and who they interact with outside of work without making it sexual/romantic.

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I agree. I’d vote “No,” at this point because some of the pairings mentioned really aren’t full fledged romances – just relationships where at least one of the parties involved may have non-platonic feelings for the other. They do seem to be trending towards too much emphasis on non-platonic relationships, though.

The real issue methinks is one of balance. It’s not that there’re too many romances – just not enough focus on other types of relationships and character dynamics. After re-watching a few of the season one and two episodes, it’s a bit surprising to see how much more complexity and depth the characters and relationships seemed to have in those days, but maybe that’s just me….

I do agree that relationships shouldn't take center stage in a crime drama, but a large part of the show’s appeal (for me at least) still centers around the characters -- who they are and how they change over the course of the series -- and relationships are important to understanding that. So I'm not opposed to romantic relationships on a series, assuming the actors have chemistry, storyline has purpose, and writing is good. And therein lies the problem for CSI:NY. The "romances" so far haven't been handled well in terms of build-up, continuity, character development, etc.

I have mixed feelings about recurring characters as love interests. Once again it seems to come down to the writing, chemistry, and whether the scenario (whatever it is) really can be used to further a main character's development. For me, it’s hard to get too excited about recurring characters, though. There’s usually not enough time to flesh them out enough, and many times, they seem to end up being a big waste of time *cough*Jordan*cough* and take time from other characters that I actually care about.

*raises hand* I do. :thumbsup: Going back to seasons 1 and 2 again, there were a number of interesting storylines and dynamics (e.g., the tension between Mac and Danny re: Danny's insubordination) that seem to have fallen by the wayside. I think Danny, in particular, has really been hurt as a character by the D/L romance, and I agree with what someone mentioned in another thread. He really seems to be a more interesting character when paired with other characters besides Lindsay.

And I don't understand the continued insistence on putting Mac into some type of romantic relationship. As you and others have indicated, there's so much more interesting stuff to do considering his background and personality. They spent a lot of time early on establishing certain characteristics that make relationships difficult for him -- restrained personality, workaholic, trauma over wife's death, etc. So, of all the main characters, if there's one whom you'd expect NOT to be involved in many romances, it would be Mac. Yet, since season 3, there've been what? three potential love interests in the picture -- seems like more than for any of the other main characters. Guess there must be some type of unwritten rule that the leading man has to be a magnet for the ladies. :rolleyes:

Yes, please. Gibbs and Mac in the same episode!:thumbsup:

Re: the specific relationships mentioned, I'm not a fan of the Danny/Lindsay pairing at all. I don't see the right type of chemistry between them to sustain the relationship and take it the distance, and I think the writing has done a disservice to both characters. But the pairing does seem to have a fanbase, so I presume the writers will continue with the storyline until they exhaust the dramatic possibilities or the broader audience's patience, whichever comes first. So far, the writers have managed to minimize the collateral damage and keep the relationship mainly between those two characters, so I think that makes it easier for some non-fans like me to tolerate or ignore it.

Flack and Angell have good chemistry, but I need to see a bit more before buying into this one completely. Yeah, the kiss was sorta out of the blue, but I can write that off to some degree as an impulsive, vulnerable moment for Flack. I'd prefer that this "romance" stay largely in the background and that they show us the build-up through little moments between them in the course of the job. I do think Flack would be a great candidate for a longer term romantic storyline but am not sure yet what the right storyline might be.

Re: Adam and Stella, please writers, just don’t go there. As said before, the crush scenario is cute if used selectively and in a lighter vein. But these two are too different in terms of life experience, stage of life, self-confidence, etc. to do anything more. Anything serious between them would have overtones of an inappropriate teacher/pupil relationship, and neither character needs that type of baggage.

As for Mac and Gillian....Seems like they are doing the same thing with Gillian as with Jordan – giving her two or three episodes to see whether she will click with Gary/Mac and the audience. And if so, perhaps they will bring her back for more. I'm not too thrilled with this storyline so far because once again the writers seem to be skipping over some of the build-up and the "Boss/Subordinate" scenario seems to go against what's been established about Mac's sense of professionalism and integrity in the past. Guess we'll see where it goes.

I will agree with you that these two have the "look" and great chemistry as well. And GS and MK seem to put the little extras into their interactions (body language, eye contact, smiles, adlibs) that make the connection between them seem natural and believable.

That said, I can understand why the writers would hold off on any type of romance between them for the time being. They have their hands full with the Danny/Lindsay storyline. And if they were to mess up the Mac/Stella relationship (too much, too soon), it could potentially damage the characters and series.

I wouldn't be surprised if the producers/writers eventually do go towards romance in some form or fashion with these two at some point. It will be too tempting for them not to do so, especially if they believe some amount of people want to see it and think it can help them with ratings as the show "matures." If they are going to pair them up romantically at some point, though, I hope they'll give it sufficient build-up so it doesn't just seem to come out of the blue.

11. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

ME LIKEY VERY MUCH!! Gibbs could teach Mac that slap that he does with Tony. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: TPTB, please give us that!!!

12. virginia-hell

virginia-hell Dead on Arrival

Yup - waaay too much romance. I thought the new directive of the show was to be cool, edgy, sexy and dangerous? Well sorry, but its rapidly heading into 'Hart to Hart' territory..:wtf:
    (If you're not familiar with this vintage show its about as dangerous and sexy as a boiled sweet in your granny's handbag.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  13. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'm not going to water down the results of this poll on the basis of semantics. I can interpret "romance" any which way I want but ultimately I know what this question is driving at, and yes, I believe this show is getting viciously dragged down by its over inclusion of romantic relationships.

Any show that focuses on a small working environment of people and they're all shacking up left right and center runs the risk of not only becoming hokey but grossly one dimensional.

I'm not suggesting they do away with all of it. Just that TPTB take a more subtle approach. I'm a strong advocate for seeing these beloved characters engaged in relationships and lives outside of their occupational sphere. Families, friends, spouses, whatever. Pairing them off one after another reduces their ability to grow as characters as well as my ability to buy into the drama.

When you take their job out of the equation, you're given a world of much more interesting, less cliched, scenarios in which to develop a character. What if instead of another woman on the job, Mac was pursued by some hot young musician he met at his Jazz club? What if Flack was awkwardly flirting with one of the parents of his kids from the YMCA? What could have become of Danny's relationship with Rikki? The possibilities are limitless! When their job is a commonality, the characters never seem to escape the roles they're carved out for themselves in their careers, and that just gets stale. We're not all the same people professionally as we are off the clock. If we can't disconnect them from their careers now and then we're never going to get to see fully formed characters.

14. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

Where's the "Hell, yes, knock it off you idiots" vote button?
    I don't mind a little romantic tension. I don't mind character developement. I do mind a romance derailing what is supposed to be a crime procedural show. I do mind every frickin' character on the show hooking up with every other frickin' character on the show. That's like television incest or something creepy sounding.
    Knock off the romance. Develope other relationships if you must. Please.

15. AbbyD

AbbyD Dead on Arrival

I vote with you!

For some strange reason, the writers have confused the concept of "personal life" with "shagging all of your co-workers". It's getting ridiculous.

I'm definitely in the camp that begs for glimpses of a personal life that does not involve another main cast member. There are endless things we could learn about our favorites without them having to hop into bed with each other.

I have made no secret that I find the entire D/L situation a huge detriment to the show. Which is why I really don't want to see F/A continue down the same road. I like both F & A. Heck, Flack is my hands down favorite. If they tangle him up in the same emopsychodrama that D/L has become, I'm giving up the show.

I adore Adam, but the once cute crush on Stella should stop. I'll take his smart/quirky/funny Adam over stuttering/blushing Adam anytime. If they continue it will quickly become creepy. Adam is worth so much more than that.