Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Is there too much romance in CSI: NY?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. No opinion--I watch for the crime!

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. When is Hawkes going to get some loving???

15 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Right now, there are two couples of sorts in CSI: NY: Danny and Lindsay and Flack and Angell, and two potential ones: Mac and Gillian and Stella and Adam. Is it overkill? Or do you like seeing the love lives of the CSIs?

2. PepeBee

PepeBee Rookie

I do watch for the cases but it's very distracting when you watch NY with all the love-filled atmosphere! I mean, I love seeing their personal lives...just not in huge romantic doses.

I guess I'm just expecting the badass feel that there once was during Season 1 when the complications of work doesn't mix with their personal lives. I can't take seeing Danny and Lindsay canoodling all the time! Or Flack and Angell doing more than flirting during work! It's just not done. :shifty:

While Adam and Stella make a cute pair, it's kind of awkward. And Mac...well, they always try to make it work with some woman. I'm a Stella/Mac shipper so it's a no go as well. :p

BUT DO GIVE HAWKES SOME LOVE! :guffaw::devil::thumbsup:

3. louise_dk

louise_dk Dead on Arrival

YES! I am seriously close to just stop watching the show, luckily the show has gone on christmas break...

I will probably just start watching Morse, Frost or Barnaby instead. 3 extremely good british shows with detectives... I love those three, too bad the majority only airs saturday at 11pm :(

4. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

yes and no. haha. well..

danny and lindsay, season 2-3, okay. season 4 after danny slept with rikki and onwards, OVERKILL. i loved d/l till snow day and the early eps of season 4. but when the whole rikki drama happened, yeah. obviously.

flack and angell, and adam and stella, all good. very cute. lol.

mac and gillian, we just have to wait and see. but so far, overkill. lol.

and yeah, hawkes needs some lovin. hahahaha.

5. melanie33

melanie33 Hit and Run

Well first of all, there is only one romance on CSI NY, and thats D/L..

Flack and Angell are at the flirting stage, definately wouldnt call that romance.

Stella and Adam, I see as more of an infatuation, from Adams side.

And Mac and Gillian, I think has potential.

Relationships are an aspect of R/L. Dont see why characters on a TV show should be any different.

The fact is character based shows are all the rage right now on TV, and I think for TPTB to stay competetive against that, especially with a franchise going into its 9th year they had to show more of the characters personal lives. Romance also draws in the younger viewers, the demo that counts with the advertisers, so its no shock that CBS/TPTB are trying to lure in that crowd, by adding a bit of love.

6. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Like csimania19 said I would have to say at this point it's over kill(and like some other people are saying it's not so much romance at this point as personal drama). I mean I like knowing about their personal lives, it makes the show more three dimensional and gives it that extra bit of separation from the other two CSI's. BUT I think first and foremost this is a procedural show and their personal lives should not overshadow this or take away from the stories to the point where it's really no longer about the cases.

Like the last episode the WHOLE thing revolved(and not necessarily directly) around d/l. The case had to have something to do with a pregnant girl, there had to be some connection between Lindsay and the pregnant girl, and then there had to be some sappy heartfelt moment at the end when they find the baby and such so the parents-to-be can have a special moment. The whole show just turned too personal for my likings.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I guess it depends on the definition of what romance is.
    If it means that people are together who love really love each other,then i would say that there is no romance.
    There is a failed relationship with 2 people who are bounded together because they are gonna be parents,wether they stay together remains to be seen.
    There is a flirtion going on between people,but were that leads,nobody knows.
    In other words,i`m on the fence of wether or not there is too much romance.

8. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

There is not too much romance just too much drama associated with

"romance" and relationships between characters. I don't think we have

seen a single steady relationship on the show to say If there too much or

too little of it.

9. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I think it's in danger of traveling down the "Too Much Romance" route. Obviously these people will eventually find romance in their otherwise hectic lives, but I object when we have a bunch of co-workers or direct work-related colleagues canoodling with eachother. You can't tell me no one meets anyone outside of the office :lol: Having one of them mention a date here and there, take a brief phone call from a significant other, or having one of them actually on a date (preferably not with a co-worker!) when they get the call to go to a crime scene, that's a different story. It lets us know they have social/romantic lives outside of their work, without it ever being a main focus or detracting from the overall crime storyline... those scenarios work for me, since it would never overshadow anything else on the show - and personally, that's how I think it should be, on a crime-based drama.

10. lynerjy

lynerjy Victim

Maybe!

The thing is I wouldn't classify DL as 'romance', particularly because they seem to have fallen into their relationship as opposed to really care about each other. so watching this is more going to be a responsibility-type thing than a romance type thing I believe. Although.. that's arguable.

I don't suppose they'll explore Flack and Angell too thoroughly so I don't mind that being an on-the-side romance.

I definitely don't mind Stella/Adam, as long as they take it really, really slow. Whether or not they end up together, if they move significantly forward in the next few episodes or even by the end of the season, I'd be annoyed. I tend to want it to remain the way it is, this somewhat teasing sort of possibility just the way it is with Stella and Mac.

And I couldn't care less whether Mac was in a relationship.. I don't know why, from Peyton to everyone else they tried to insert it was never interesting or life-changing to his character. He simply doesn't need a relationship to grow. He diD, post season 1 post Claire, but not anymore. The only reason I might appreciate it has to do with his "she turned back... nice", and Mac loosening up that way is entertaining. whoever this Gillian chick is though.. I really don't care.

Anyway, this being a depiction of an actual workplace -- I suppose people fall in love all over their co workers all the time, these group of people arE largely the only group of people they mix with anyway.

11. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I do agree with you that they see their co-workers more than outside people, but they had Adam date a Suicide Girl, Danny coulda-woulda-shoulda dated one :lol: and he also mentioned a girlfriend "Cindy" back in S3? Flack had the brief romance with Devon, who was outside of work, and even Mac had a date with Rose from the diner, at the end of S1 (and he alluded to another date to Stella, during "Jamalot"). And I believe it was S1 where Stella came into Mac's office, all dressed up before she went on a date. All of those were people outside the office or the overall realm of work.

I've worked in small offices, and in very large ones. For the most part, my co-workers and I didn't spend our time chasing down possible dates in the workplace. Not that it didn't happen here and there, of course it does, but in the places I've worked, it was definitely the exception rather than the rule, so I guess that's what I'm more accustomed to. (Actually there was one notable case where I'm currently working, where someone pursued someone else in the immediate department for a romantic relationship. And the sexual harrassment suit came quickly after... ;) )

12. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Honestly, I wouldn’t be put off by the romance if they involved a few reoccurring characters. It's happened before. I think maybe that’s why a few people voted or will vote ‘yes’. In a city where there are about 8.5+/- million people, you’d think they could get other people for the cast to be involved with. I’ve heard the argument that people who work together sometimes date, but this is overkill.

Sure they have a sexy cast, but they don’t need to sex each other. That’s a dynamic that I miss from season one. I’m starting to feel like a victim of the ol’ Bait & Switch. They suckered me with the episodes they wrote the first season and I’ve not seen anything close to those episodes. Instead, I’m treated to Danny’s baby mama drama.

It’s gotten to be too much when the baby between two detectives is the main story on a crime drama, no matter how ‘character driven’ the show is supposed to be. You can balance your characters with the crimes they are supposed to be solving. I found that to be frustrating.

That’s where my problem lies, I guess. D/L took away from the show. You can give a scene of Adam doe eyed at Stella. Flack and Angell can peck for a few seconds. Hell, Mac can have coffee with whomever he wants. My biggest problem was that the story of the pregnant girl suffered for Danny’s baby.

Basically, there’s too much romance when it takes away from the show.

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

It does seem a little like overkill to me, but at the same time I am definitely wondering when Hawkes will get some love? :lol:

Seriously though, I don't mind a little romance every now and then, but I don't watch the show for the love lives of the CSI's, so I would prefer for it to be kept in the background. I'm not saying I dislike all such scenes, but sometimes less is more.

14. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I don't quite understand why you think these people only mix with their co workers? I mean I know thats pretty much all we see but then the programme is about their jobs, they surely must have lives outside of work which are not shown on screen.

Personally, if they feel the need to go down the romance route I think it woudl be better to show them having relationships with people outside work. For one, it would show a side to the characters that we don't get to see in the normal crime investigation part of the show and secondly it would help keep the romance in the background and stop it from distracting from the crimes.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

At the moment, I'd have to say 'Yes'.

I don't mind a bit of romance between characters in the background (after all, they do deserve some lovin'), but to me, this show is supposed to be about solving crimes, right?

But I also agree... Poor Hawkes deserves some love :adore: