How Much is Gas Where you Live?

A good chunk of the price we pay at the pumps is taxes. $0.14.7 of each liter is the Ontario Provincial excise tax. $0.10 a liter is the Federal excise tax. Plus on top of these taxes we pay 5% sales tax. So in essence we are paying a tax on top of a tax. My hubby did a calculation for another message board he's on and figured that Ontario is in the top three of provinces for the heaviest taxed on gas. We are paying about $0.30 per liter in taxes which work out to be about $1.00 a gallon.

What I'm paying for gas is equivalent to 4.25 per gallon in the states (114.9 per liter, here), including the difference in currencies (1.0144 CAD to 1.00 USD).

In Belgium: 1.268€ per liter ( = 4.80€ per gallon, = 7.49 US dollars per gallon).
Argh, where are the times when 1 liter cost you under 1 euro. :(

Forgot to mention that those are diesel prizes. Gas prize are somewhat similar to what BlueCurl wrote (maybe just a little cheaper).

Last edited:
Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Eur 1,50 a liter (prizes ranges from 1,48-1,52 currently)
that's $8,70 a gallon...

people in the US shouldn't be complaining! IMHO :p

Rotterdam, the Netherlands

Eur 1,50 a liter (prizes ranges from 1,48-1,52 currently)
that's $8,70 a gallon...

^^That's what I've been giggling at :p
Our prices has like...4 different taxes.
Another solution... buy a car that doesn't consume so much gas or buy a diesel. Those things are quite powerful nowadays and are not so crappy and stinkin' like those used to be. [I know diesel car isn't really a positive thingy in US :p )

Tell us about your public transit system. How many people can get around comfortably with out owning a car? In the city I live in there are a total of 10 bus routs, driven by 10 buses, a bus goes by each stop once every 2 hours and buses run from 8am to 9pm, each trip (no transfers) are $0.75. Last time I decided to "see if I could do it" I decided to go to my parents home form here usually it takes me 2.5 to 3 hours to get there by car, it took me 9 hours and I had to walk 4 miles to get to my parent's house.

Gas prices does not tell the whole story. There are many places in the US and Canada (I didn't forget about our wonderful neighbors to the north) that have no public transit system, there are some that do. There are many place that a person could really not survive and get to work without some private vehicle. The US and most of Canada have pockets of dense cities and large population, with many miles between with much more rural and sparse population. Some states have more (like central and mountainous areas) some have fewer (like coastal areas). Some of the price is supply and demand.

OK so I started to ramble, sorry about that. It is interesting to see the difference from state to state and from country to country though

Last edited:
Here in Northern Ireland, it's pretty expensive, I think it's about £1.07 per litre for unleaded and £1.12 per litre for diesel...

Tell us about your public transit system. How many people can get around comfortably with out owning a car? In the city I live in there are a total of 10 bus routs, driven by 10 buses, a bus goes by each stop once every 2 hours and buses run from 8am to 9pm, each trip (no transfers) are $0.75. Last time I decided to "see if I could do it" I decided to go to my parents home form here usually it takes me 2.5 to 3 hours to get there by car, it took me 9 hours and I had to walk 4 miles to get to my parent's house.

Well bike is good way to travel. Heh, I live in a countryside - nearest shops (with food 'n stuff) is 12km from us. Oh yes...there goes 2 buses to west and 2 to east in a day/weekdays - those are schoolbuses so whenever there is vacation, those don't go.

Now I study in this quite small city, bus routes are quite handy - tho mostly stop around 18:00, only few works during the weekend and ticket costs 2.80 and with transfer 3.10 Of course if you travel a lot, you can get this 30-day card and you can use buses as much as you can - it costs 54€

There are very few cities in my area that have buses. We have no subway system either. Luckily I only drive about 15 miles a day. My hubby though drives about 60 miles roundtrip a day. I realize that gas is more expensive outside of the US - but it is still a shock to see it rising above $3.00 a gallon at an alarmingly fast rate.

Biking is not really an option for us either. My hubby used to drive about 1/2 way to work and bike the other half - but he is under going experimental treatment for his cancer so he can't do that anymore.
Where we live is right by several freeways and it would be a bit dangerous for me to ride a bike with a 4 year old. I would have to cross several of them to get him to pre-school and me to work everyday.

As an Albertan (the province where almost ALL of Canada's gas comes from) I should be paying the least for gas. Right now I'm paying $1.07 (Can), but rumour is it'll be $1.30 (Can) by April, and $1.50 by summer. Which is too bad, because it was only $1.03 in Feb.

It's a shame I still drive my car so much with gas prices at that level :(

Gasoline: 1,41 € per Litre (~ 2,20 US$)
Diesel: 1,32 € per Litre (~ 2,05 US$)

That really sucks...

$2.99 in Worcester MA. yesterday. Okay so that was only in one station that has 6 cents off on Saturdays.:guffaw:

Susan

On the ride to my aunt's house today I saw a few stations that had $3.25 to $3.29. Welcome to Wisconsin....the weather changes in the blink of an eye and so do gas prices. :lol:

Last edited:
Back