How Many Seasons Do You Feel CSI:Miami Has Left In It?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 7, 2010.

1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I saw something similar years ago. The show aired the finale,and then found out it wasn't coming back. Strangely, when I thought about it , the CSI: characters came to mind. Two of the characters end up in bed( after lusting for one another the entire season),and the house blows up(Eric/Calleigh).Another character is offered a different job and relocation,he's in a car accident on the way to the interview(Ryan). The warm compassionate and some what innocent character is shown being strangled on her front steps(Natalia).
    The veteran of the group,who is also blind and in a wheel chair, is heart breakingly devastated,and left a lonely broken man (Frank) and the wise leader is shown in the hospital,has a cardiac arrest and flatlines(Horatio). That was the finale,and that is what we were left with.
    Hopefully Miami will know at the start of the season that it is to end,and goes out nicer than the show ,"The Others" went out.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

OMG! "The Others". I loved that show. I was so ticked when NBC cancelled their "saturday night thrillogy". But then I laughed my butt off when the show they replaced it with (some football thing) tanked in the ratings and they were forced to pull it too. Now all they have on Saturdays is repeats of shows from earlier in the week. LOL. There was also Warren who hit by a car if I recall. He had written a book or something and someone told him they could get it published... and then they hit him with the car I think. I don't know who would be that character in the Miami scenario. Possibly Valera since she made a comment in one ep about how she likes to read. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I forgot about Warren for some reason, I think you're right about him being hit by a car.I remember watching the episode thinking,"wow, how are they going to get out this big mess"? We will never know.

4. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

At the rate it's going, I'm not sure. I'm starting to give it up for dead since finding out they're going to recycle "Spring Break". I'd say if they can't make the stories more varied, go ahead and give it up now.

Sadly, I think the "glory years" (S1-S3, and maybe a little of S4) are long gone, and they ain't coming back. I had high hopes when I watched Out of Time, and to be fair, they HAVE had some excellent ones this year--Out of Time, Die By the Sword, Dishonor, Hostile Takeover--but they're getting to be few and far between. They insist pretty much on using the same characters again and again, while totally ignoring some good talent.

Personally, I'm wondering whether tptb have major ADD. Seems like they keep just dropping storylines and starting new (or recycled) ones.

Largely, I think it's a combination of the writing and the set design. For the most part, the show is turning into the Jessie, Walter, Eric and Calleigh Show. Yes, they have a large cast, but they could actually work this to their advantage if they wanted to. Look at Vegas--Some episodes are of the CSI's, while the labrats are the key characters in others. They could have a ton of new, varied, and interesting storylines if they just use all the talent they have at their disposal. I'm pretty sure Wes Ramsey and Christopher Redman could carry a show.

As for the set design and the wardrobe, those loud, bright, fancy-schmancy sets and screaming colors are just too annoying. In the early years, everyone was a little more muted and down-to-earth. And trust me; if your show is good, you won't need to rely on an abundant supply of cleavage or packages to keep an audience!

As far as society's expectations, I think that's just the problem. In this world of moral relativity, we WANT characters that have depth. We WANT characters that are loyal, smart, honorable, and don't let petty bickering get in the way of things. Society hasn't changed in this regard; in fact we seem to need it more than ever. Entertainment is meant to be an escape from the real world, not an extension of it. Hollywood's golden years were when America was being crushed by the Great Depression and World War II. In RL today we have to deal with job losses, failing banks, cheating spouses, corruption, snarky kids, aging parents. In the early years of the show, we could tune in and enjoy handsome wisecracking Delko and that boyish grin, Speed's and Frank's smart-alechyness, Calleigh's expertise, and Ryan's sweetness. Above all, Horatio was going to fight for those who couldn't fight for themselves. We could laugh at Horatio and Rick Stetler headbutting. Dan Cooper was a chunkhead, but he was the best at what he did. We could smile at Horatio's and Yelina's "eye sex." But when it came to solving the case and catching the bad guys, they were committed to doing the job. The characters were consistent and predictable, and well done. But for reasons unknown, tptb strayed from the formula. Characters like Tyler, Calleigh's dad, and Madison just disappeared. Characters that remained became inconsistent. There were relationships between characters in the first years, but the relationships flowed with the rest of the show, rather than the rest of the show being forced to fit the relationship. In the early years, Miami was an escape from RL, but sadly it's now become an extension of it.

Another thing that attracted me to the show was the attention to detail. The characters used so many different things at their disposal in an effort to solve the crime. Now it's so sloppy as to not even be comical. A guy in lockup still has his cell phone (Resurrection); a high-end SUV (Point of Impact) has no airbags; Calleigh no longer uses hearing or eye protection in the ballistics lab (Down to the Wire).

Don't know.

MASH ran for 13 seasons. How long did The Simpsons run? I guess as long as fans keep coming back.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: thank you for the picture of Frank in a wheelchair :guffaw::guffaw:

After all, it's not such a bad scenario for the show considering what we're gonna have to see...I certainly wouldn't mind the explosion :lol:

6. electra

electra Pathologist

It looks like is time for the show to end.I give TPTB credit becouse they managed to create a very successful show .It's not easy to make it and they did it.But is better to end with style(like Seinfield,Mash) then have a slow agonizing end.

I have not watched much these season mainly becouse my favorite character is very rarely on(Eric) and the move of Law and Order to mondays has not helped.I think they made a mistake bringing 2 new characters when Adam left instead on focusing in the existing cast.Walter is fun to watch but his role could have been filled by a sassy and funny Natalia.And Ryan would have make me care about ANY storyline in a way that Jesse never could.That way I would have cared in the episodes that Eric was not on. But in general is mainly that the storylines are not that good and a failure of the show as a whole then to a single character fault.IMO Miami has always been the comic version of the 3 but was entertaining.Something is missing now.

7. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

I think CSI Miami has really been ruined, the storylines are boring and repetitive, some characters we love have been neglected. If the writers will continue on that path, I think next season will be its last.

8. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Being optimistic, I'm hoping it will make it to season 10, but if we only get one more season, I'll be content as long as they tie up all the loose ends. There is nothing worse than becoming invested in a television show and have the network pull the plug when you're in the middle of the season. After this long, I think we fans deserve some kind of appropriate closure (and not like "Sopranos"-like closure, some REAL closure).

Personally, I think there have been some good eps this season (Hostile Takeover and L.A. are my favorites so far), but I also think there has been too much focus on the characters' lives than the crimes and science. If it were just three or four main characters that we were dealing with, then I could get behind that okay. But when you have at least seven characters to focus on, you start spreading interest pretty thin.

The bottom line for me is, as long as Horatio (DC) is still standing with sunglasses a-blazin', I'll keep watching.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. Court

Court Prime Suspect

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  10. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I'm pretty sure that the show's been, or is going to be, renewed for a Season 9. Beyond that, I'd say maybe one more season. CSI:Miami has had a pretty consistent viewership since its introduction. For many years, it's been solid in its ability to win the most viewership for its time slot, with only a few occasional exceptions (like the season finales of "The Bachelor"). However, it's become apparent that that may begin to change. The most recent new episode was beat by a new episode of ABC's "Castle". Was this an anomaly, or an indication that CSI:Miami's dominance over the 10 PM Monday time slot is beginning to wane? It's too soon to tell.

I am pretty confident that when CSI:Miami is not the time slot winner the majority of the time, CBS will cancel it. To CBS, CSI:Miami is easy money- they don't have to work hard for it to be the time slot winner. Because the show has had a pretty decent run, I don't think they'll invest too much money/effort in trying to regain viewership once the show begins to consistently lose the time slot.

I suppose a combination of both. It has definitely gotten tired and/or lessened in quality. They have made attempts to rejuvenate by adding new characters and trying to incorporate more of the main characters' personal lives into the show. For me, these efforts have mixed results- I like some new characters and stories, and I don't like others.

Again, a combination. The acting in general is not necessarily superb, but it is decent, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

For one, I think the CSI formula is starting to wear. Solving crimes with science is neat, but it's no longer a brand new concept. The "plot twists" are kind of tired. Specifically, with Miami, the idea that there has to be a season-long organized enemy (like the Mala Noche, the Russian mob, Ron Saris, etc.) is old. The exaggerated Horatio personality was fresh and amusing at first, but that's gotten old as well. It seems like the only way that character development occurs is if the character or someone close to them faces a life-or-death experience.

I think the other big thing, which is somewhat related to the formula issue, is the writing. It kind of sucks, to be honest. The writers rely on the same plots and devices, and only switch characters and details. They get lazy about continuity and research.

Even if the writers were better and more inventive, there's no guarantee that the show would survive better. Sometimes people just get tired.

It'll definitely be the network who decides to cancel the show, but TPTB won't be blindsided by it. They'll be, if not expecting it, at least anticipating that it's a possibility. In terms of tying everything up...well, they'll tie some things up, but even if TPTB knew that they had 5 years left to work with, I doubt they'd leave everything resolved. Ultimately, they'll forget too much. As I said before, they're not very good with continuity.

I really can't say, because I haven't actually thought about it. An appropriate length for me is a decent run with a decent ending. The specific number that constitutes "decent" is subjective.

11. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I would say at least two. Next season and another after that. This has been a good season and if they can continue to build on it with a back to basics approach, they'll be set

I started watching midway through the show's run so I can't give you a good answer. However I will say this season has breathed some new life to the show though.

They'd better have some sort of plot point to give the viewer a reason why the show can't go on. One idea is to move Horatio up the ranks and probably one of the other characters. So if I had my way

Horatio: Becomes Chief or Commissioner
    Calleigh: New boss of CSI: Miami
    Ryan: Calleigh's second in command
    Jesse: A homicide detective
    Natalya: I was thinking she becomes a teacher or something but I think she would stay on the force and get a senior ranking as well.
    Tom: Still the same
    Frank: Grows a 'stache, quits the force and becomes Tripp P.I.
    Walter: Quits and becomes a helicopter pilot who often helps Frank on his cases
    Ryan: Quits and opens a bar and often helps Frank out.
    (BTW the last three are strictly tongue in cheek but some of you might know that I am referring to )
    My personal preference is that all shows have an average eight seasons.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  12. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

Not to piss anyone off, but I think 10 years for the original CSI is good enough and if it can go so far I think CSI miami can and should go that far too, as well as New york.

13. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Fans may be checking Castle out because it is new; however, Castle relies on a worn out premise--a self-absorbed man-child, sexual tension, will they get together or won't they, etc., etc., blah, blah. IMHO, that premise is going to get old fast. I am actually optimistic about our show. I think it is not as disastrous as everyone is making it out to be; a few "tweaks" can fix alot of ills. I am also not sure why alot of you think Seasons 1-3 were so great. The crimes in the first couple of episodes were so horrendous I could barely watch them, and the sets were dark and cold. I love the bright colors that we have now.

14. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I agree completely. "Castle" really doesn't seem to be wearing well. It might've been a little fresh at the beginning, but now, it's nothing special. As a feminist (*gets ready for the backlash*), I'm tired of the usual stereotypes they pass off as "original". The female lead has to be the male lead's mommy, the man is dumb, the woman is "uptight", etc. I know that CSI:Miami also uses plenty of gendered stereotypes, but TPTB don't try to insult our intelligences and insist that they're not. In fact, the stereotypes are often exaggerated, so it's even more clear that TPTB are not trying to portray the situations on the show as "this could totally happen in your neighborhood too!".

15. Court

Court Prime Suspect

:lol: That show would be full of win.