How Many Seasons Do You Feel CSI:Miami Has Left In It?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

The title's pretty self-explanitory, but I thought I'd start this thread as it's been quite the discussion in the Spoiler Lab. This is for those who wish to continue the discussion not relating to spoilers, so we don't get too far off track in the other thread and for everyone else in general. A reminder that positive and negative feedback are welcome equally.

So, here are some initial questions to get the ball rolling:

-How many seasons do you think it has left and why?

-Do you feel CSI:Miami has gotten tired or rejuvenated itself?

-If you feel that it's tired/doesn't have much steam left, do you think the writing is to blame? The acting? Society's ever-changing interests or other?

-When the show ends someday - because it probably will :p -, do you think TPTB will decide to end it and tie everything up (or not tie much up, lol) or do you think the network will give it the axe?

-How long do you feel is an appropriate amount of time for a show like CSI:Miami to run?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Honestly, it all depends on what happens by the end of the season, cast changes (if there are any), storylines, etc.
    I'd always hoped for a 12-season run, & with good cases, a change in storylines, character growth/development, & good team spirit/solidity, they might be able to make it there. Otherwise if they continue with the same song & dance then they'll be lucky to make it to season 10.

For me personally, both. I feel they've rejuvenated themselves with certain characters & storylines; team interaction helped.
    Case-wise, it seems tired on occasion. Certain storylines, again, makes it tired IMO (the Eric/Calleigh storyline "zzzzzz..."; the dead spouse storyline...same-o-same-o, just different character).
    But, all that is up to each individual viewer & what sparks thier own interest though.

Writing most definitly has a part, as well as the show-runner, whom I would actually place the most blame on (sorry Ann).
    That, and the changing interests. It just happens. Sometimes, it's just the viewer & not the show.
    The acting is fine, IMO, some of them outstanding. Others, it isn't so much that they don't have any talent at all, but that the character(s)alone is/are played out & grown very stale.....just adds to the tired feel, imo.

As much as I slightly dog TPTB at times, I have to imagine that when it comes to business they are smart; they should be, they've been in the industry long enough. If anything, I think they'd lose thier timeslot first & then eventually pull it off the air & call it quits.

No more than 10-12 seasons, imo.
    And to be quite honest, the ONLY reason I want the show to keep going is because I'll feel completely robbed of the other characters development if they wrap the series up before season 10. They've been wasting so much time since season 6 that I feel they need to make up for that -- they owe me at least 3 more goood seasons (of Ryan time, Natalia, Frank, Horatio, newbies on the side please) ,I'll even take 2. :p

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

First of all thank you Geni for opening this thread :thumbsup:

In all honesty, I think the show doesn't have many seasons left. If things go on like this, IMHO, the show will even struggle to reach s10 and might face an advanced ending. None of the characters, at this point is interesting to me. While I could wish seeing something more of Ryan, Natalia and Frank, I'm really scared of what I'm going to see thanks to TPTB. Any kind of development has just disappointed me except for Natalia during s6, Ryan and Billie along with his new friendship with Jesse & Walter. Anything else is just a huge disappointment.

Also the storylines are not that interesting as they once used to be. TPTB also know how to write more and more ridiculous stuff...that's for sure :p

While it could have rejuvenated itself with the entrance of Jess & Walter, it has gotten tired because of everything and everyone else. In the last 4 years, they've been recycling storylines for everyone:
    - Calleigh & Eric struggling for their "feelings"
    - Natalia having a big physical problem and hiding it from anyone else when possible
    - Calleigh & Eric facing near death experiences
    - Ryan always supected of anything possible and then cleared of the main accusation thank God who sometimes looks at him :rolleyes::lol:
    While you can cope with this kind of stuff for a couple of years, you can't possibly do such a thing for more than four years until you die :shifty:

In all honesty, I think it's just a combination of all these.
    The writing has always been problematic and even when they changed some authors they haven't been able to solve all the problems. They've just been able to solve the team aspect....and not even completely.
    The acting, IMHO, was great till last year then it all seems as most of them actually got tired of working there. I won't mention the names, but, in all honesty, I think it's pretty clear that some of them lost their acting skills in these last 2 years. Again, some of them remained quite good, but can't shine in a show like this.

As for the society, I think they've made some bad choices in terms of ratings, they thought some choices could do some good to the ratings and currently stick with them even if they perfectly know that the audience is just getting tired of this. Figures can only prove this.

TPTB have never been able to tie any storyline in a proper way. Discontinuity is the keyword of the show and I certianly won't expect any improvement in these terms. Again, they might be able to surprise me....I do wish such a thing.

I don't think there's a certain time-limit for a show. IMHO, it all depends on how the show is handled and the viewers. Though, a show like CSI:Miami has more disadvantages than others.
    First of all it's only one of three shows that come from a franchise. The CSI one and if I had to be honest, I would say that a franchise isn't the strongest thing of the world. If one of its shows isn't as good as expected, I as a viewer would expect the others to fail as well or, at least, to have a plung in the ratings. I know that it's not what it usally happens, but I would expect such a thing from a franchise.

Last but not least, I think a very valid reason why a show like can't go on for a much longer time is the fact that the main theme of this show is forensic science. It may cross its path with other topics, but in any single episode the show deals with science or criminology......nothing else, at least in theory.
    Other crime dramas like Criminal Minds or NCIS or even Castle certainly deal with crimes and a little bit of forensic science. But they also develop other aspects/topics such as psychology, family, love, medical stuff and so on and so forth.....they can deal with any kind of topic. Even better for shows like Desperate Housewives (or medical drams that, in my opinion, are the luckiest ones from this POV) whose future only depends on viewers and TPTB;)

10 years is a lot for a show like CSI, but then again, a good show should end
    - before fans get actually tired of it
    - once TPTB have run out of original and good ideas.
    CSI:Miami, in all honesty, has passed this point long time ago :(

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I feel this show should have ended like 3 seasons ago. The stories are not as good as they used to be. It's time to call it a day.:(

5. PianoWizzy

PianoWizzy Prime Suspect

As much as I love this show, I don't think it can go on. There's something that's too repetitive about it that I can't really put a finger on... Anyhow, I can only expect it to barely make it through a season 9, unless they switch up writers who can come up with more like "Dishonor" and "Miami, We Have A Problem" or episodes like that.
    [The key... *puts on sunglasses*... is in the words. YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH]

Besides, the show can't tie itself together right now.

6. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Despite the fact that Florry and I completely disagree when it comes to - why we are tired of watching Eric and Call struggling with their feelings:p- ;)

As for the rest of Florry´s post I will completely agree.

If it is the constant changing of writers or the quality of writting soo many things are handled the "wrong" way at the moment. And storylines aka bullets in brains seems to start and stop within an episode or so....Characters such as Ryan seems to have one path of development getting in trouble "again":confused:. Where as some Ryan fans say the character could do so much more.

7. alexa

alexa Witness

I agree with everything that has been said [Mjszud and Florry86]

for me the question is: but they are really trying to rejuvenate the show?:confused::confused:
    every season miami gets more "old" with the same stories.

I'll be honest, I don't care a damn about the stories of crime, investigation and bla bla bla ... What I like is to see how they (writers) "build"(?) and develop a character in the police and criminal world (this makes any sense to you?):guffaw:

And CSI:M for me died when they destroyed, completely:(, my 2 favorite characters in the middle of season 6-Calleigh and eric.
    sorry for any error of English.:rolleyes:

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Personally, I'm at the point right now to where I feel like its time for all three shows to say goodbye. I'm just bored with NY ... but the other two shows are showing their ages badly (and desperation for ratings in some cases). NY stoops to stunt casting (some times its reality show stars who aren't actors ... when they could be hiring actual actors for the guest roles), Miami keeps having year after year these explosions or fires in episodes to try to get more viewers (honestly that's getting way old, sorry but its true) and Vegas resorts to serial killer storylines like Minature Killer and Jekyll who do odd things. I don't care how weird real ones are. It feels gimmicky when they do it on CSI. The gimmicky aspects get on my nerves. Here's an idea, go back to basics and see how the shows do... cause at this point it would seem refreshing. :lol: To sum up: Stunt casting, constant explosions and too many way eccentric serial killer storylines = gimmicky and that = annoying for me. :lol:

And quite honestly, I'm highly annoyed that we were told that this season of Miami would be back to basics and we didn't really see that happen on the show. :lol: Maybe they pushed it off until next season... but at this point it could possibly be too late. :lol: I don't really see the numbers in the ratings getting any better next season. I could be wrong, but its just a feeling I have. :lol:

-How many seasons do you think it has left and why? eh in all honestly I think this season should be the last, but I can't really see it going any more that two more seasons.

-Do you feel CSI:Miami has gotten tired or rejuvenated itself? a little of both... but that's the Catch 22. Rjuvenated with new characters, but in doing that some of the other characters got pushed into the bg some even further than they already were. And its tired in the way that there seems to be this constant repeition of old storylines or in some cases recent ones. I can't say anymore than that because it would be spoilerish. :lol:

-If you feel that it's tired/doesn't have much steam left, do you think the writing is to blame? The acting? Society's ever-changing interests or other? The acting is fine. I have no beef with it at all. I think its partly the writing and partly viewers' changing interests.

-When the show ends someday - because it probably will :p -, do you think TPTB will decide to end it and tie everything up (or not tie much up, lol) or do you think the network will give it the axe? Hard to say. I would hope tptb would end it... but if it keeps going like it has been then the ratings may slip so low that the network will have no choice but to pull the plug on it.

-How long do you feel is an appropriate amount of time for a show like CSI:Miami to run? 10 is a good number, but like I said I think this show and Vegas have definitely ran their courses. I think they should get off the tracks before the trains completely derail. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

With improved writing and storylines for all of the characters as well as allowing all the characters the opportunity for shinning moments ,
    the show should be able to last at least 10 seasons or more.Team interaction has always been a big draw in this type of show for me,and the lack of had been one of the biggest disappointments in the last few seasons.
    If the show continues with the same season after season ,E/C drama,Ryan in trouble,team mistrust,etc.then I don't see anything past next season.
    There was a start this season at rejuvenation,but I already sense a return to the tiredness of before.The last few episodes again return to something or someone coming between Eric and Calleigh,Ryan in trouble(even if it's not of his making)Natalia not even mentioned,and this has occured for several seasons.This season there was some attempt at increased as well as improved team interaction,but I fear that will end.

Maybe a little all, with the majority being the writing and I also wonder if TPTB are in touch with what all of the fans want.There have been request for better stories and development for all of the characters for a while.Seeing that would go a long way in making things better.Ryan,Natalia as well as Frank could and should have much meatier storylines as well as a lot more character development after all of these seasons.
    I can't say that I really have a problem with most of the acting.
    I hope TPTB end it and tie things up.Maybe Horatio teaches, Natalia and Ryan are promoted/and or relocates,Frank retires etc.
    I remeber a show that apparently was yanked by a network about 10 years ago( don't remember the name right now) and the cliffhanger had already aired.None of it was ever cleared up. I don't want to see that for Miami.

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Don't forget the constant near-death situations, sweetie. ;)
    Just a week ago Catherine on Vegas had a close-call, Stella had her attack the other night, & oh yes, look who's turn it is next on 'Miami'.
    They need to break away from that, imo.

11. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I remember when something like that happened to the show 'Dark Angel' a few years ago. It had just been picked up for a third season so nothing had really been tied up in the finale for season 2. Then Fox decided to reneg on its renewal and canceled it, pretty much leaving the show and the characters' fates up in the air (this is based on interviews made by the cast in the special features).

It would be disappointing if something like this happened to Miami because there are a few things I'd like to see concluded/resolved. What would be most beneficial for the show, in my eyes, is if TPTB decide it's time to end the series at the beginning of a season so they have that entire season to wrap things up and entertain their fans until it's over.

What I don't want to see is blind denial and TPTB running it into the ground until the network says "enough". There's something to be said for gracefully ending a series when it's run its course.

That being said, something like CSI:Miami could definitely go for 10 seasons (most crime dramas aim for it) but I don't think it should unless it can genuinely keep people entertained.

As for if the show rejuvenated itself, like some have said above, I think it has to a degree. The new characters injected some life back into it and reaffirmed my interest this season but time will tell if it's just temporary or if it's going to be an upward trend. Things started getting tired - in my eyes - after season 3 and has only now (season 8) restored some semblance of excitement from me toward this show.

That's not to say I haven't liked some of the episodes in between but season 8 has been the stand-out for overall good storytelling in a long time, for me as a viewer, despite some of its faults.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Doh! :smacks self in forehead: How could I forget that one? :lol: The ladies are really being knocked around this year, aren't they? I guess they knocked the guys around enough last year and before (last year Ryan and Eric, Adam and mostly emotionally, but also physically (on that train)Flack)... in the past its been Eric, Ryan, Adam, Greg and Nick... I agree, this needs to stop.

As for shows being cancelled before storylines are resolved: I'm still utterly peeved at Fox Family channel for doing that to Kyle XY. The cliffhanger ending of that sucked big time and especially knowing that we'll never see the outcome. :(

13. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Actually I was thinking of another similar case: "The Pretender". As in the previous two seasons, they ended s4 with the most terrible cliff-hanger possible: the two main characters were caught in an explosion in the subway. But by the time this episode actually aired, the network decided to yank it. Fortunately, in this case, cast & crew were able to obatain a couple of movie on another netwrork...all of this for their fans who, to their eyes, deserved some answers ;)

As much as I agree with you that CSI:Miami shouldn't end like this, I thought it was good for a show like the Pretender to end like this, otherwise I'm sure TPTB would have ruined it :p

I think that would be the best scenario possible. It would be fair both to the whole cast & crew and the fans :thumbsup:

Never never forget such a thing :lol:

I know, it really sucks when shows end like this :(

14. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Didn't read any of the above posts so these are just my thoughts.

Well, honestly, not very many. CSI:LV is on its 10th season, and I could only see Miami making it to 10, if that. They are on season 8 though, so I think they could stick it out for another two seasons. Things are just starting to get either repetitive or just ridiculous, even for a show like CSI: Miami that has never been exactly realistic.

I think it's getting tired, like old man in hospital bed tired. I love the show but I feel like it's dying. :( Season 7 wasn't too bad but season 8 just put it back again. It's really bad.

I'm not sure. I'd say writing, because like I said above, all the stories are either things we've already seen, or they're just ridiculous things that aren't even fun to watch, because they're too much. It's definitely not the acting though, I love all the actors on the show and they've all definitely got talent. When Miami does end I hope its actors find something else to do because I'd love to see them all again, doing something else.

Well this is CSI: Miami we're talking about. They're not exactly known for tying everything up... I would hope the network would at least let them, and the writers would give it their all to tie everything up, but... yea, I wouldn't hope too hard. :lol:

Eh, I don't know. It's not a soap opera, it doesn't need a million seasons. It runs dry after a while. I'd say maybe 15 seasons. Really, does any show need to run longer than that? That's a loooong time, and by the time they reach that (if they do, I won't bet on it... for any of the CSI's, honestly) the fans will be tired and bored of it already. :/

I feel bad as a huge fan of the show for saying all that. I still love the show and watch it every week, isn't that weird? I'll be sad when it ends, if I'm still watching when that time comes around.

15. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I honestly don't know. At this point if this trend continues; the same characters being ignored, the same storylines (one is particular) being dragged on and on, I can't see it going much beyond season 10. If by happenstance, they get "back to the basics" as they insisted they were before this season started, meaning more emphasis on the science and solving crimes and less soap opera drama, I can see it extending beyond season 10. This would probably require an overhaul of the writing staff though.

A little of both. The additions of Jesse, Walter, and Tom have brought a new feel, and they are starting to get back to the team concept. On the other hand, with a certain storyline being dragged out and the same storyline mentalities (aka Ryan is trouble again) it is same old same old.

I think it is mostly the writing but if acting is even a little to blame IMO it is pretty understandable. Imagine being a talented actor like Jonathan Togo and getting the script for the next episode and realize that, one you are background fodder again, just there to process a witness or walk through and ask dumb questions, or two, by chance you are featured, it is another Ryan-in-trouble-again storyline. I don't know about him, it would take alot for me not to just phone it in. And poor Rex and Eva, just to be included at all. If other actors are tired as seems to have be reported elsewhere my advice to them: leave. Then the writer can focus on the neglected characters. This writing staff needs an overhaul; maybe just maybe new faces will bring fresh ideas and the show could show more signs of life again.

I hope they tie up loose ends but knowing this bunch, I could see the entire cast at the station and have it just blow up and that be the end:rolleyes:

Again I don't know. As long as the fans stay interested, who knows?