How Do You Feel About Adam/Delko Returning Full-Time?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

Some people are having a hard time understanding the fact that Adam was hired for Ugly Betty for just a few episodes. He did not leave CSIM for UB, that was a job that came along after he went to part-time status on CSIM. And Ugly Betty's cancellation has nothing to do with Adam being on the show, their ratings have been sliding for sometime now. And he has always said that the door would remain open for a possible return, part-time or full-time. TPTB have also said as much. And things have out just that way,so yeah I'm happy.

2. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

snowbunny, I'm with silentdisco on this: save your energy for something that's worthwile... No point in wasting it here :lol:!
    Just come and celebrate :beer: Adam/Eric's full time return to CSIM with us in the other thread... ;)! We're having a party there :lol:!

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

People know that Adam didn't leave CSI:Miami for UB and that he was hired for a few episodes only. Part of the reason Adam left was to spread his wings,try new things,that included Ugly Betty. Returning to CSI:Miami offered him some security,perhaps there wasn't a lot of new things coming his way right now.

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Who did say that he left for UB? Seriously, no one ever said it. We all know he left because of bad negotiations and because he wanted to explore something else besides CSI:Miami!!! I think this is pretty clear for everybody ;)

Who did say that the show was cancelled because of Adam? That would be selfish and so disrespectful toward Adam to say. I won't ever say that!!!

What I'm saying is that it looks like that after UB no chance had been given to the guy to work somewhere else, something which he should have done considering his own intentions! So he had to come back whining with the tail between his legs 'cause he couldn't find any other job. What I don't like is the fact is that despite the bad negotiation and his so called intentions...the show accepted him back. I'm sure other shows and channels wouldn't have done it and I'm sure plenty of other actors never had the same chances he (as well as the character he plays) always has! :rolleyes:

Again it's another very subtle difference from what people tend to claim and what actually happens in Hollywood and reliable shows :rolleyes:

5. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

No, it was supposed to be a joke. I apologize if it offended you, as that was not my intention. Some of the reactions here seem to be rather knee-jerk, and while it's perfectly fine to feel the way you feel, I think it can also be helpful to step back and look at the bigger picture.

You freely admit that you don't work behind the scenes of the show, and yet you have determined that Adam Rodriguez is unprofessional, and came back to the show whining. How can you know that for sure when you're not able to truly see everything?

Adam's role on Ugly Betty was intended to be temporary. How do any of us know for sure that he was the one begging to come back? For all we know, CBS saw Ugly Betty's cancellation as a good opportunity for them to ask him to return. If that was the case, I don't see why it would be so horrible for him to say "yes". In this economy, nothing is guaranteed. I don't blame him for wanting the comfort of a steady job at a place he seemed to enjoy.

There's just so much we don't know, information we're not privy to. I don't think it hurts to put emotions aside once in a while to look at the bigger picture.

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Let's say Eric (and Calleigh) never had the storyline he did the past few seasons. Let's say all the Adam fans had to sit back & watch Jon/Ryan have all the meaty stuff for well over 3 years while Eric and Calleigh sat in the background with absolutely nothing, but then Jon decided to leave & then return....if the situation was with a different castmember, can you honestly say you'd be backing up his return? I doubt it.
    Try stepping into other fans' shoes every once in a while.
    No, no one knows exactly what happened. But it isn't right to rip someone apart because thier opinion differs from your own.

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Snowbunny (very cute name, btw), you're right about UB being a part-time job for Adam, at the same time he was part-time on CSI Miami. And the cancellation of UB had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Adam. That show's been on the bubble for a while now. Cancellation was totally expected, at least by me, before Adam even filmed his episodes.

You're also correct that it was reported the agreement was that the door would remain open for Adam's return - although I thought I heard part-time, not full-time. It really doesnt' matter.

What has some scratching their heads is that Adam expressed displeasure with plots on the show and when contract negotiations went south, he stated he had made the decision to move on and stretch his wings.

I was good with that and wished him well. I was actually looking forward to seeing him in other projects. I respected and admired the way he left - a class act all the way.

The next thing I know he's encouraging his fans on Twitter to contact CBS and let them know how much he's missed and how much they want him back and he is supporting online petitions demanding that he be returned to the show. I don't know if no other projects presented themselves or if he was even looking, but the turn around about wanting to come back to CSI Miami was almost immediate.

It just struck me as strange that one minute negotiations die, the network wants his character killed off and Ann Donahue is fighting for Eric's life. Then Adam is saying it's okay, he wants to stretch his wings and work on other things - he wasn't all that thrilled with some of the plotlines on the show ... The next he's encouraging everyone to contact the network and tell them to bring him back.

I used to really like Delko. But that Delko that I liked so much doesn't exist any longer. Like the Calleigh I used to love, they were both destroyed to give birth to the characters in their current form. I don't like either one of them any longer.

There is also rightful concern that Adam's return is going to be taken out on other characters with regard to screen time. When it finally looked like Natalia might get a story all her own, I can pretty much guess that's all been thrown in the trash in favor of bringing the Eric and Calleigh relationship to the focus again.

I know it's hard to hear this for some, but not everyone likes seeing Eric and Calleigh all the time. People are screaming bloody murder because Jesse is getting so much time and how unfair they think it is. It's no different for people who are tired of seeing all E/C all the time. And while that may be seen as an exaggeration, it's no different then people screaming that all we're seeing is Jesse all the time. Everyone is simply saying how it feels for them.

I'm sorry, but some fans are going to be upset by how Eric's return is going to mess with their favorite character. Some of us have waited a good long time to see our favorites get a chance. A chance they haven't had in over 3 years.

I'm lucky. Horatio is my favorite character. And while his time has certainly been reduced, he's still seen in every episode, usually for a decent amount of time, up to this point. But I also adore Natalia, Ryan and Frank. And they've all been treated like the bastard stepchildren for the past 3 and a half seasons.

I've seen anger and disappointment and I've read about how many Eric and Calleigh fans who have stopped watching any episode that doesn't include Eric and Calleigh. Natalia, Ryan and Frank's fans keep hanging in their and pathetically celebrating even a few brief moments of seeing their favorite. While they are frustrated beyond belief they keep hanging in their and hoping that someday their favorite is going to get a morsel of a story to work with.

I'll admit. I watch the recorded version with my remote in hand. And I fast forward through any E/C moments. I don't enjoy them. At all. But I haven't stopped watching because of it.

Natalia was treated horribly by a lot of fans when she first joined the show. Ryan the same. Jesse is experiencing the intense dislike right now. While some came around and now give Natalia and Ryan a chance, there are still those who libel them at every opporunity.

Natalia because the writers dared to put her in a relationship with Eric. Oh, the names she was called, slut being one of them. And yet for the pregnancy scare, she made if very clear that Eric was the only one she'd been with since Nick. And Eric believed her.

Ryan had the nerve to come in as a replacement for Speed. And not only was he/is he disliked by Eric, in a tiring, childish display, for that transgression, a lot of Speed and Eric fans carry that hostility to this day.

I adored Speed. Rory was treated very badly and I would have been thrilled if he'd been given the same deal as Adam. But apparently no one thought to fight for Speed/Rory and so the character was killed off. Horribly sad at the wasted potential.

I won't even mention the horrible things said about Horatio/Caruso. There are individuals who live to trash him with veiled references and sometimes open hostility.

My point is that these characters were soundly trashed by fans who thought they were interferring with what they wanted for their favorite characters. A lot of the individuals trashing Natalia were trashing her because she slept with Eric and they wanted Eric with Calleigh. In the escalation of hostile emotions no one cared what horrible things were said. They wanted the character thought of in a negative light by as many as they could bring to their cause.

And the hostility and anger just seems to keep escalating as very few will stop and consider the feelings of the individual on the opposite side of the discussion. And so there is no rational, give and take discussion that seems possible.

I hope the writers and TPTB are happy with all the hostility. It's a sad statement for a show and characters that so many claim to care about.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. laurmarie

laurmarie Hit and Run

Never liked the character of delko....there is just something about him that annoys me....can't believe he is coming back why the he&% do you go through the trouble of saying your going to leave to then so oh i wanna come back....i guess this means were stuck with more callie/eric and I like callie just not with eric.....

And just when i was liking not seeing Eric on all the time lol....

9. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

I suppose I'd be a little frustrated, sure. However, my frustration would be directed at CBS, not Jon. They are the ones who had failed to give my favorite characters something to do.

I fail to see how I "ripped someone apart". I didn't call anyone names, I didn't imply that I was better than them.

On the other hand, I've seen a LOT of that kind of behavior from people who aren't happy with certain aspects of the show, especially the Eric and Calleigh romance. I can't count the number of times E/C fans have been referred to as "tweeners" or digs have been made about their ages, followed by eyerolling smilies (despite repeated warnings from moderators that this forum is for the discussion of the show, NOT judging its fans). These kinds of comments imply that a person thinks they are somehow better or smarter because they may be older, and I find that much more insulting than anything I've said.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You're right.

But the disrespect goes both ways and there is going to be no way to resolve the situation unless eveyone is willing to admit that and we can elevate the discussion from kindergarten to adult.

It isn't just one group pulling the discussions into the mud. It's both.

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Sorry if you misunderstood, my comment was to anyone & all reading on both sides of the issue, not directed towards you in particular. ;)

TPTB/CBS have created quite the tug-of-war between fans -- the hostility is coming from both sides, not just one.
    Delynn - Re: lengthy post further up (it's too long for me to qoute, lol). Nicely said! Agree 100%.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  12. slower

slower Lab Technician

IMHO,I think that the discussions on the E/C relationship should stay in the thread it's designed for and the same for those who dislike the pair. That way if you don't like the subject there you don't have to read it. This is becoming like the CBS forum;anything goes and all it does is create hostilities on both sides of the issue. Just saying. :thumbsup:

My two cents on Adam's return. :rolleyes::rolleyes: For me he was just there, nothing more, nothing less. I never thought too much about him. His character never appealed to me. Adam seems like he walks through scenes, when I want someone to draw me in; he just doesn't do that for me. Do I dislike him? No. Do I feel he should have returned? No. Am I concerned for the other characters on the show? YES!!!!

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Agree that the disrespect goes both ways.Being called "haters" doesnt bring a warm fuzzy feeling from me.
    Perhaps we should just stick to the topic at hand.
    Nice post Delynn.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I think you're probably right in theory, slower. The problem is that Eric and his return to the show is all so wrapped up in the E/C relationship it's really hard to divorce the two.

So it's a little hard to discuss one without the other.

Maybe we all need to try a little harder! ;)

15. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

How do you feel about the news?

Should Adam have been allowed back?

Does the character of Delko have any growth left as a character?

How do you think the character will be re-integrated back into the show?

My answer to the above questions: To be Honest I don't know!!!

and that isn't meant to be snarky or smart alecky. I thought about it many times and simply can't get a clear response. A lot of people are concerned that his romance with Cal will hurt all the good work they've put in this season but as I have been neutral to that plotline, I can't give an answer...

One thing is certain, there is no way they can accommodate everyone. While the writers have made an earnest attempt to focus on the team aspect, some characters like Frank and Nat have been riding the pines more often than not. I think that is a common problem in all shows with a team approach. I've read some posts where people have said how other shows like NCIS do a good job with the team approach but I'm sure even those shows have people who feel some characters are getting shafted..

Perhaps I'll be able to make a decision same time next year. Until then, I'll just make my way to the undecided section:)