Horatio/DC #15: 'Back To Basics'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 31, 2009.

1. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

That's good. I'd hate it if they just purposely ignored him. I feel better now. :p

2. PianoWizzy

PianoWizzy Prime Suspect

I saw that episode and almost broke down with him in that scene. (It usually takes a lot to get that kind of emotion out of me) Surprisingly enough, I loved the episode despite the fact that I can hardly ever even stand angsty stuff.
    Yes, his mention of Marisol was worrying, but I think he's just seen too many people die in front of him.

3. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

He has seen WAY too many people die in front of him. The poor guy. But he still comes to work strong everyday. Which to me is quite impressive. I guess he feels he has to help everyone which is a really respectable quality that he has. :)

4. PianoWizzy

PianoWizzy Prime Suspect

We all love Horatio for that strength. No one could carry on like that!

5. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

Especially do his job well AND have compassion for the victims and be hard on the criminals to get to the truth...most people would have their vision clouded by so much loss and grief but Horatio holds himself together really well-no meltdowns or vacations from work...that's the persona that's the star of the team holding it all like glue..will still be glad to see him get a chance to show some emotion on Monday's Dishonor episode as he has Kyle back in his life again..

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I think for the most part you're right on the money with your comment about Horatio being able to hold it together and not let his personal issues cloud his judgment.

But right after Marisol died, he went into what I saw as a dark tailspin. It was a total detachment from the team and I didn't see as much connection and compassion for the victims. While they remained a priority, Marisol's death seemed to shake him to his core and seem to corrupt some of his basic values. To me he appeared lost for a couple of seasons while they had him mourning her death and he did things that I never believed Horatio would do.

That was a hard time for me because I was never able to buy into the Horatio/Marisol love story. I guess they didn't show me enough of a connection for me to believe that her death would affect Horatio that deeply.

Anyway, we had a couple of seasons of a very dark, trigger happy Horatio and that was not the Horatio that I was used to seeing and I honestly didn't like it much. I know a lot of people DID like the Super-H persona, but I really wasn't one of them.

The human Horatio began to re-emerge with Kyle's appearance in his life. More so last season with the Kyle/Julia story and I've never been so happy to see a character return to himself! :) While I was happy to see Julia go, I'm really thrilled to see Kyle remain in Horatio's life. With Kyle I see the old Horatio. The human Horatio who is connected and involved and has rediscovered his core values and purpose.

I would be horribly disappointed to see them recycle the same old crap for Horatio and kill off someone close to him just for the temporary emotional impact. For once I'd like to see them look to the furture and realize that Kyle's inclusion in Horatio's life has greater long-term story potential than the short-term dramatic impact that Kyle's death would serve.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Wow! No one has opened this thread to comment on David's performance in "Dishonor". Spectacular is all I can say about David and Evan. Easily the best episode of the season and one of the best in the series. I haven't seen David emote like that since NYPD Blue. Almost, but not quite, worth the wait. Where has he been hiding for 7 1/2 years? The clone hasn't been up to his standards. Or, does Evan just bring out the best in him?

Whatever the reasons, a fantastic episode. Could we see a lot more of this?

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I have been meaning to get over here, but family and job are really demanding right now! :lol:

David's performance was one of the best I've seen in the entire run of the show. And you're right, inthewind, this truly is the best episode of the season!

The Horatio we saw in this episode is even more human that the Horatio of season one! Having a son has been nothing but good for Horatio. Kyle has provided Horatio with the path out of the darkness that overtook him when Marisol died. Thank you, Kyle! :thumbsup:

David did an amazing job making you feel the pain of a parent who is struggling with the fact that they can no longer make decisions for, or totally protect, their child. The child has grown and it's time to allow them to make their own decisions ... and their own mistakes. For Kyle, his life decision has dangerous consequences. David's performance (wow!) made me feel Horatio's frustration and helplessness that Kyle had made this dangerous decision without seeking his father's counsel. Horatio sees himself as a protector. To realize that your son has placed himself in a dangerous circumstance far from your power to protect him, would be painful and almost panic enducing. And what makes it more painful is that Horatio's time with Kyle has been so short anyway.

When Kyle shared his decision, watching David, as Horatio, react brought home to me exactly why I so love watching David Caruso. He's an amazingly talented actor who has spent too many seasons in the background. It's time to give this man back his leading role in this series!

This is the Horatio I've been waiting to see! Human, connected and passionate about something again. The Horatio we see now has a lot more baggage they the one we were introduced to 7 years ago (as if he didn't have enough to start with!). I'm hoping that we get to see a lot more of this Horatio, if for no other reason that I so enjoy watching David when he's given a chance to show what an exceptional actor he truly is!

The ending scene was award winning for both David and Evan and really allowed both to shine - especially David! The pride Horatio felt was so very clear. So was the fear and anxiety Horatio felt as it hit home that Kyle was leaving.

We REALLY need to see more of these two and I sincerely hope that someone has the foresight to see that these two actors share a REAL and amazing chemistry that doesn't come along very often. Don't let Kyle fade from Horatio's life. There is way too much story potential to let Kyle go and not bring him back - and watching David and Evan interact deserves a LOT more episodes.

Oh, and one more thing. Now that Kyle is gone for a bit, any chance we could see David/Horatio connect with someone else so we don't lose the gift of watching David perform like he did in "Dishonor?" How about a Horatio/Frank story? Frank! Frank! Frank! Frank! Please? :angel:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I agree, this was the all-time best for Horatio/David -- though somehow I think another moment later near finale is going to beat this one. :)/:(

To be honest, I wasn't at all crazy about the arrival of Kyle. It was so out of the blue, I just couldn't quite get the right feel for the storyline. I have to give major applause to Carsuo/Evan for making it work though....they've really brought this father/son storyline to life, all due to thier amazing natural chemistry.

I hope we continue to see more -- this has been, imo, one of the best seasons for Horatio in a very long time.

10. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

YES! I cannot agree with you more Delynn! These two guys are the same age and profession and we never see them hang out?? The both of them are great actors and seem to have plenty of fun on set, so why not write in an epi where we can really see them shine? They can even throw in the girlfriend that Rex has been begging for :lol:

11. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I am blown away by David's performance w/this episode "Dishonor" and am loving the easy way this father/son duo play their scenes-from humor with the "Subtle,son" comment to the heartbreaking goodbye at the end "I love you". The son shines for David's character-breaking away the cold, emotionless exterior and showing the warm hearted man underneath..can't wait for more..make Kyle a regular already- ratings will go up..

12. PianoWizzy

PianoWizzy Prime Suspect

Most definitely, Dishonor was an amazing episode. I do love it when Horatio is out of his cold shell to show concern for people. I hope to see more acting like this by him!

And I agree with your suggestion of a Horatio/Frank story. Honestly, this man needs to hang out with people! :lol:

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I really think that David and Rex have a great chemistry. It's very obvious that they like and respect each other and it translates well with their characters.

I wish we could see an episode that is specifically written to be Horatio/Frank centric, by a writer who truly understands the amazing abilities and talents these two actors possess. Having a Frank centric episode is way, way overdue! And I believe that Horatio is a natural co-star/support for Frank.

It would be another step in getting CSI Miami back on track.

They could start by getting their lead actor back into a lead position instead of placing him in the background. "Dishonor" proved what a tremendous contribution David is capable of making to this show when he's given something to work with. It's been way too long since he's been given something to work with.

Eva, Jon, Rex ... all outstanding actors who are not being given a chance to contribute to this show in a way that could help to turn it around.

Eddie and Omar are new additions to the show that I want to continue seeing. They have added a lightness and new blood that was seriously needed.

It's time for TPTB to step back and regroup. Possibly bring in an independent, objective consultant. Maybe check with more than a small vocal group of fans to see what it is that their audience wants to see.

It's clear that something has to change. Ratings are saying that what they have been doing isn't working.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  14. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

Yes indeed. Frank has always been the most humane of all the characters on the show. He's the average go-to guy of the team and gets the job done the old fashioned way. He's a lot like Det. Flack from the NY show, and I think thats why they both have a bigger fanbase than the writers give them credit for. I think Frank can bring Horatio down to Earth a little if the writers give them that chance, a lot like Stetler does.

15. mayra1990

mayra1990 Prime Suspect

sorry for this post my sister is messing around with my laptop again

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010