Hill Harper/Sheldon Hawkes #2: He's Got Panties

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I just came across this while looking for CSI news:

From here.

Hill has been a busy bee. :p

2. CSINYGal88

CSINYGal88 Hit and Run

I love Hill's "Barack The Vote" shirt. Awesome stuff.

:thumbsup:

3. Faylinn

My mom just told me that Hill is apparently on Dr Phil - the topic is the N-word. *goes to watch*

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That sounds interesting. Too bad I can't stand Dr. Phil. I'll wait for you to post a report on what Hill had to say. :p :shifty:

5. Faylinn

Well, Hill didn't get to say much - he was one of five guests, and when you have a group like that, one is usually the most outspoken and gets the most airtime (usually the loudest one :lol:). Paul Mooney talked more than the others did, and there were quite a few confrontational, argumentative types of conversations on the show - which I muted. I don't want to hear two people trying to see who can be louder - if you're talking over one another, it doesn't matter how loud you're talking because the other person isn't listening.

But I digress.

I missed most of the first 20 minutes. My mom told me it was on, and I came in here to tell y'all - by the time I went back in there, she'd turned on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader". :lol: She left to go to the gas station, though, and told me what channel it was on (I'm still not used to the stations here :p). Anyway, I watched it from there on, but as I said, I muted it when people started getting loud.

I think there were some excellent points made, but what the show did more than anything was stress the need for all of us to really address the situation amongst ourselves, at home and in public. They talked about it for an hour, but the discussion is far from over.

That being said, I really only remember one comment Hill made before he could be interrupted by someone else on the stage. ;) A woman (an African-American lawyer) mentioned that she used the N-word in her personal life, to talk to her husband (who is white) and her friends (who are of multiple ethnicities). She said she didn't use it in a derogatory way and so she didn't have a problem with it - she basically used it as one would use the term 'buddies' or 'guys'. Hill's comment was that, if she was using a term informally to refer to her friends and her husband, why not choose a word without the history and the negative connotations to it?

Otherwise, Hill mostly just sat there looking intelligent and nodding along with everyone else. There was a cute moment toward the beginning, though, when Sheryl Underwood (another of the people on stage) mentioned a 'what if' situation that involved an intimate encounter, using Hill as an example. :p He's so cute when he grins. :lol:

Seriously, though, I don't remember much else that he said, and I really only remember a few bits and pieces of the rest of it as well - mostly it was a back and forth about whether it was okay to say depending on the intent, vs whether it's not okay to say regardless of the intent because of the historic connotations of the word.

A very interesting episode, but one that got on my nerves more than not - not because of the subject matter, just because people kept getting loud and cutting each other off and talking over each other. I hate that. *grumble grumble*

They did mention Hill's books at the end, though. :) And I'm glad that Dr Phil had Hill on there as one of his 'experts' - Hill is definitely a successful, intelligent man with a lot of great things to say. Too bad he didn't get to talk more. :p

Here's a link to the page on Dr Phil's site for the episode. I'm not sure if they have where you can watch the episode on there or just clips (my computer apparently doesn't like his site, so I didn't watch any of the videos or click any of the links on the page).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

7. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Whoohoo, Hill gets a little somethin' somethin' in this. 'Bout time!! :D

8. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with posting a trailer from YouTube. :) 'This is Not a Test' looks interesting, although the trailer didn't get me particularly excited about the movie, I'm not sure why... I'd still like to see if of course, Hill/Eddie/Carmine, who wouldn't want to see that? :lol: I do think Hill is great though, and even if it probably isn't going to be the greatest movie ever, I'm sure it'll be enjoyable nonetheless.

9. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

It is pretty enjoyable I've seen about maybe 3/4 of it. I hadnt seen Hill in anything but CSI:NY, and not once did I go, "That's Hawkes." Sometimes once you've seen someone in something fo rso long, and only in that one show that you tend to see them as that character when they play other characters, and I totally didnt in this movie. It is so different from Hawkes, and he does it so well. He's a real good actor.
    It's an entertaing movie- it's quirky.

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Interesting: it opens on Inauguration Day. I guess I could waste a few hundred brain cells and $20 watching this when it comes out in theaters.

11. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

Just a note- WHY does everyone else have a love life/love interest when Haekes gets nothing? I dont know, I try not to read the spoilers, if anything is "in the works" for him romantically, but if the writers are pairing everyone else up with someone- why not Hawkes? He's intelligent, funny, attractive? I dont get it! :lol:

12. Cyriusly now...

Cyriusly now... Hit and Run

He's waiting for me to come along. hehe.

Ok maybe not. :shifty:

13. KDKHm

KDKHm Dead on Arrival

Just a popped into ask a Hawkes question.
    Does he carry a gun?
    Seen the others with one but cant recall seeing him with one.
    quite a strange question - I know!!

14. Faylinn

Hmm - I think I may recall seeing him with a holster at least once, but since I can't think of a specific example, that's kind of useless. :p

It's not a strange question, though - I think the show has missed a good opportunity by not showing the conflict between Sheldon's past as a doctor and his new role as one of the cops (or, if he's considered more of a scientist than, say, Danny or Lindsay, they should clarify that).

We have seen him wielding a big-ass gun in "Snow Day", though. That was hawt. :devil:

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I finally got around to watching this--the movie looks pretty good! I'm curious about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.