Hawaii Five-0: The next generation

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Dynamo1, Jul 24, 2010.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

The Director of the A-Team movie said the same thing, but I think technically speaking, if you're recreating something done previously and using basically the same characters, it's still a remake. If they want to get all artsy fartsy, they could say a "revisioning" I guess, but bottom line is, it's STILL a remake. :p

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

From TV Guide Online:

Sneak Peek: Hawaii Five-0 Yeah!
    Aug 10, 2010 11:21 AM ET
    by William Keck

Off the coast of Oahu, Alex O'Loughlin, the trim, toned and tattooed star of CBS' Hawaii Five-0 reboot, is chopping through the waves like the former Navy SEAL he's been hired to play. His perfectly sculpted six pack glistens as he emerges on the shore wearing nothing but taut navy trunks. "I think we just shot what is going to be the most downloaded scene of Hawaii Five-0," executive producer Peter Lenkov calls out to his crew. "It sort of makes everything I do from here on moot."

You don't need a coconut to hit you on the head to figure out this is not your father's Hawaii Five-0. It's younger, naughtier and definitely more action-packed. Even the core characters—including O'Loughlin's Steve McGarrett—have been reimagined.

Lenkov, who'd overseen CSI: Miami and 24, partnered with Alias and Fringe producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, hoping they could do for the origins of McGarrett, Danny "Danno" Williams, Chin Ho Kelly and Kono Kalakaua what they did for Kirk and Spock in their 2009 Star Trek prequel.

Together, they reshaped McGarrett as a mercenary heading up an elite task force—a man not above implementing torture to extract the truth. "That messy boy stuff is what I like most," says O'Loughlin. "There are definitely Jack Bauer elements to my Steve McGarrett. He's not averse to methods others would be jailed for. I did a scene yesterday where I'm hanging a guy by his ankles 36 stories above Waikiki."

Scott Caan plays McGarrett's partner, Danny, a by-the-book New Jersey cop transplanted to Honolulu to be closer to his remarried ex-wife and daughter. "Our characters are set up to butt heads," says Caan of the new partners. "But we're alike in a lot of ways." So are the actors—who happen to have been born within hours of each other. Just a few days into production on the second episode, it's clear they've developed a tight brotherhood. Between takes, they kick around a ball with Caan's constant on-set companion, a Blue Heeler named Dot. "Alex thinks Dot's Australian," cracks Caan, showing equal affection toward O'Loughlin's son, Saxon, visiting from Australia for a few days. Says O'Loughlin: "You just hit it off with some people. And we did."

The other half of the Hawaii force is made up of two seasoned sci-fi vets—Lost alum Daniel Dae Kim, as disgraced cop Chin Ho Kelly, and Battlestar Galactica grad Grace Park as his cousin, badass surfer chick Kona Kalakaua. Enrolled in surfing school, Park's been pounded by waves and scraped by coral. Even more intense are the high-impact fight scenes like today's, in which Park is being strangled, slammed against a bookcase and thrown into a swimming pool with a blow to the face by a heavy bamboo pole. A good sport, Park quips, "I like the girl-on-girl action stuff.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Source: TVGuide

Keck's Exclusives: Heroes' Masi Oka to Play Hawaii Five-0 Coroner

After squinting his eyes and time-hopping around the globe to save the world as Heroes' Hiro Nakamura, Masi Oka has signed on to help Steve McGarrett (Alex O'Loughlin) and his team investigate murders on CBS's Hawaii Five-0 reboot.

He'll debut in the fourth episode as the coroner and be billed as a guest star. But with the body count expected to spike considerably in Oahu, this coroner could potentially be busy for several seasons.

Also look for original king of comedy D.L. Hughley to appear in Hawaii Five-0's third episode as a character named Skeet. Skeet is described to me as an inmate serving a double life sentence who challenges McGarrett to a game of hoops.

Source: EW

Former 'Heroes' star Masi Oka cast in CBS' 'Hawaii Five-0' reboot

Now that he can’t save the world (or cheerleaders) anymore as time-stopping teleporter Hiro Nakamura in NBC’s now-canceled Heroes, Emmy-nominee Masi Oka is moving into a new prime-time do-gooding role: EW has confirmed reports that the actor has been cast in CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 reboot, which is shaping up to have some serious geek-pop cred.

The cast: Alex O’Loughlin (Moonlight), Daniel Dae Kim (Lost) and Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica). The exec producers: Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (Star Trek; Fringe).

Just what kind of mystery island drama is this new Hawaii Five-0 going to be, anyway? Oka will reportedly play a coroner in the show’s fourth episode and may become a recurring character in the series.

4. Dynamo1

From TV Guide online:

Hawaii Five-0's Scott Caan Injured, But Not Out
    Aug 18, 2010 08:10 PM ET
    by Natalie Abrams

Book 'em ... into surgery.

Hawaii Five-0's Scott Caan aggravated an old knee injury and was flown back to Los Angeles for surgery on his ACL, a rep for the series said.

Caan, who plays Detective Danny "Danno" Williams, is scheduled to return to the set Monday. Production will continue without him, though he will not miss an episode.

The 33-year-old actor's injury will be written into the show. Danny will be taken to the doctor's office following a mishap on the job. When the doctor asks whether anything traumatic has happened lately, Danny replies that he's got a new partner, Alex O'Loughlin's Steve McGarrett. "This guy is a physical injury!"

"Working with McGarrett, you're bound to get a few bumps and bruises along the way," executive producer Peter Lenkov said.

Hawaii Five-0 is scheduled to premiere Monday, Sept. 20 at 10/9c on CBS.

5. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

At first I didn't think I'd even check this out but the more I've seen it has convinced me to give it a shot. I have seen a lot of the original show (my mom loved it) but don't remember much. I love Daniel Dae Kim from Lost and Scott Caan so I'm going to watch.

6. Dynamo1

While we are waiting for the remake, Spike is running a marathon this week of the original series. From Monday through Friday, Spike is airing the first season each day from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Eastern time. Check local listings for time and channel in your area. Wish I had enough blank video tape.

7. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

...and why did they rename the characters McGarrett, Danny, Chin Ho, etc...

...and why did they already break out the "Book 'em, Dan-O?" :lol:

It looks a little more like Hawaii 9021-0; it might be fun to see where it goes. But nothing...and I mean nothing, will ever match Jack Lord's hair.

8. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

JUST A REMINDER -

The show premieres tonight!!!!! :beer:

9. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i quite enjoyed the episode last night. i like how it was action and energy right from the beginning. the story was alright it's nothing new.

i had more of a good time drooling over Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan!

10. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Yea I really like Scott Caan. :drool: The show was ok, but I'll keep at it.

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I thought it looked like something I would like, so I tried to watch last night (I love Daniel Dae Kim), but it wasn't really what I expected. I was turned off right from the beginning with whatever that was all about. It confused me. I didn't really pay much attention after that. Somebody let me know if it gets better! :lol:

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Not a bad way to spend an hour, but not must-see-TV for me. Entertaining, but not much substance. The characters are enjoyable, especially Scott Caan, and the setting is beautiful (I miss Lost :().
    The ratings were lower than what I, and probably CBS, expected, considering all the hype. I will probably watch it now and then; but I prefer Castle in that time slot.

13. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Hmm, interesting comments so far... I found it totally cool! Lots of action, great dialogue between McGarrett and Dano; loved seeing Park and Kim together. There were some very cool action shots too. Overall, I really thought it was a fun first ep. I will definitely be watching next week.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I was 10 years old when the original went off the air, so I never got into it. I have to say I pretty much enjoyed the premiere. It wasn't anything earthshatteringly good, but I was entertained enough to watch again. I think the dynamic between the four main characters is what will keep me coming back. That and Daniel Dae Kim.

My step-dad did watch the original and after the opening sequence of the new one he said, "That was pretty intense for Hawaii Five-0."

15. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

FYI

Heroes' Masi Oka (Hiro) will join the show in the fourth episode.