Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

1. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

wow! im in gr. 8 and my grad is in 2 days and iv never disected anyything...but im definatly looking forward to do it! hehe :D

2. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

I've dissected a chicken wing, cows eyeball, frog and a squid.

3. Depth-Of-Love

Depth-Of-Love Lab Technician

CatherineWillows

thats nasty and i reamember that...to bad i was a tot al baby and skipped those classes!! lol!...but yea eww

4. toomuchovertime

toomuchovertime CSI Level Two

I didn't cut, but I participated in a few. The Formaldyhide got to me a little.

5. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

It makes my eyes water.... that Formaldyhide

6. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

I've dissected worms, a starfish, and a frog. Had no problem with it, but the formaldyhide made me feel a little ill.

7. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

It's funny.. medical shows give me the heebie jeebies, but as a kid, I had no problem disecting worms and frogs... though, on my first attempt at a worm, I accidentally sliced into one of the vital organs... good thing it was already dead! But the worm skin was TOUGH!

8. screamingpoet

Medical shows never give me the heebie jeebies. I love them, I think they're great. Give me insight (although perhaps not so accurate as they should be...) into forensic procedures and such. I'm definitely taking a pathology class in college, maybe forensics. The stuff fascinates me.

9. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Blood never made me queasy. But needles do lol

10. screamingpoet

Oh, God. Needles. Don't even get me started. I hate the things -- can't stand them. I get panic attacks when I have to get required shots and vaccinations. :(

Blood's not a problem though. I think I actually like it, not in a kinky way or in a psychotic way but just in a way that makes me not mind it at all.

11. Alyssa

Alyssa CSI Level Two

WATCHING blood makes me sick to my stomach, like on television in an operation, or even fake blood (I know, I'm afraid of freakin' kerosyrup!) despite me knowing it's all fake. However, when a neighbor's daughter showed up a few months ago, her hand covered in blood, I didn't freak at all. I mean, I was completely calm. Got her in the bathroom, cleaned the wound, dressed it, and after she left I cleaned up the drops of blood on the floor with alcohol... No problem... lol.

But as for the dissections.. no blood involved. :) So, I never knew how I would handle a real-life blood situation until the neighbor's daughter showed up.. lol

12. Can_I_be_U

Can_I_be_U Hit and Run

We dissected all sorts of things in 10 grade biology. My lab partner was a crybaby and she would go "Oh, I feel ill, I can't do this." (think really bad actress) And then I would have to do it myself.

I got in trouble for making my frog dance, (ya know, "hello my baby, hello, my darling, hello my . . . [stoopid WB]) Not much trouble tho, I was my biology teacher's pet. It was kinda funny, I did not do my homework one night and I copied word for word from a friend in my class. She got a D and I got an A. :D

13. SamStokes

SamStokes Police Officer

I have dissected a heart, and other stuff it ain't that bad when you get used to it, at first it's yuck i ain't going near that, i suppose i have to get used to seeing that stuff it's my job!

14. GottaLoveVegas

GottaLoveVegas Lab Technician

I'm so sorry that your high school is that much like mine.
    And wow, that was all one sentence, lmao.

I'm not sure why people still wonder. Even my parents are shocked and awed at my attitude towards people here. It only takes a few moments to realize that almost everyone around me is the same, and none of them have respect for anything I guess everyone else is just so used to it, and I moved here about 5 years ago, so I saw how bad it was, and it's just "way of life" for them.

Ugh. You aren't emotional in a bad way. That's just disgusting. If you're that bored...go play a video game or play in the street or something. Gah.

And iloveGrissom1, I do believe that it's a criminal charge. I'm sure dogs and cats fall under "cruelty to animals" if not other laws. There are lots of laws against abusing cats and dogs, just not so many for other animals. You'd have to have some pretty good evidence, but yes, the person could have to pay a fine, maybe not be allowed to ever have animals of his own, do community service, maybe even a short jail time, all depending on where you live.

Ah, the wonderful accomplishments of the human race.
    But back to the topic of dissection, I think if I'd have had a more respectful class, I'd have done really well. I get a strange sense of calm once I get the animal, I just freak out a bit before, hehe.

15. kito_of_typhoon

kito_of_typhoon Prime Suspect

I have dissected:
    2 earthworms
    a fish
    a starfish
    a clam
    a marin snail ( kept its case as a souvenir :D)
    a cockroach
    and best of all a rat ( i rememeber what our professor said before we cracked open the skull to get to the brain: "If you pull its fur over its ears it just looks like a rabbit. Cute, eh?" :lol:)
    We also dissected once a frog to measure the effects of hormone to the heart ( got nice videos of that ), but that was in a big group so it doesn´t count.
    I still looking forward to dissect more animals :devil: and by taking animal physiology as a main subject in my study there are good chances for that :p.