Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

I've dissected A LOT of frogs during sophomore high school (i'm in the Philippines, btw) because my classmates were terrified to do so.

I've also opened up a small snack and stuffed/preserved it. I also did preservation or silver fish (similar to the pig in Grissom's office.)

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

^You can try it.

Frogs are easiest to dissect. The thing that creeped my classmates out the most was.... in Bio class, you have to dissect the frog alive (usually drugged).

You dissected a live frog?!? Poor frog...

In pharmacology we worked with just killed frogs. We also worked with crayfish (crawdads if your from the south). We had to draw out the hemolymph (the "blood", crayfish don't have true blood) and test it for glucose. I definitely couldn't give shots. The depth you were suppose to go was about hair thickness.

Dolphin said:
You dissected a live frog?!? Poor frog...

Yeah, the frogs are alive when we dissected them. As gory as this might sound, the heart was still beating when we cut it off. We weren't exactly sure when the frog really died when we were dissecting it.

Yes, poor frog.

I dissected a cow's eye last year in Science. This year I'll get to dissect a sheep's lung and heart.

^So cool!

My classmate last semester is a Microbiology major. And they were taught how to extract, test and compare DNA the old fashioned way!

**Sorry if it's OT**

We dissected frogs way back in seventh grade. Wow. That was 15 years ago. I am old. Anyway, the formaldehyde was so strong that I was sick to my stomach right away. My class was in a temporary building with bad ventilation. Even with the doors and windows open, the formaldehyde smell was awful. Back then I was too freaked to do anything--my lab partner did it all. But I would sooo get into it now. The only really bad thing was that our frog formerly known as Kermit turned out to be female--it had a belly full of eggs. Which was REALLY gross.

I wanted badly to take anatomy my senior year in high school, but their final project was dissecting a cat and I couldn't bring myself to cut up an animal just like the one I had at home.

--Sarah

a cat :eek: i could never do that, too ... at high school we dissected cows eyeballs, hearts, kidneys ... and boring things like plants (honestly, "dissecting" an onion and tint it with some color isn't THAT exciting) ... and mice and hedgehogs ... was quite interesting

^Yeah, we had to dissect flora once too.
Dissecting a complete flower specimen

A body to me is just a body... I find nothing disgusting or immoral in corpus humanus

Back