Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, May 8, 2007.

1. hollie

hollie Pathologist

I saw it the day it came out where I live, which was last Wednesday I believe. And I have to say I thought it was really good. My one friend didn't like it though. But everyone else I know who saw it thought it was excellent.

2. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Tonks/Lupin doesn't happen until Book 6 ;)

The movie was very good. They had to just take the very basic thread of the story and present it. Remember, this was the longest book of them all. And while it would have been great to see a lot more scenes from the book in the movie, it would have been so totally cumbersome.

They changed a lot of the stuff in the book that, for someone who has read the books, would be easy to fill in the blanks in the movie. The only example that I can remember explicitly was Umbridge using the veritaserum on Cho instead of Marietta being a sneak.

Can't wait till my book comes in the mail!!

3. mj0621

mj0621 Pathologist

was it me or i didnt see any quiditch action?

:p anyway, ooh! you ordered the book already? *looks at calendar* its getting nearer! *is excited*

4. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I was dissapointed by no quiditch! Actually, I didn't notice until after the movie. Then I was dissapointed :p

So I saw the movie Monday! I just had to think about for ever before I made any comments on it.

Okay, so if I were to take the book into consideration with the movie, I was dissapointed in the movie. They left out some of my favorite parts, and kept screwing up how things happened!

But not comparing the book to the movie, I thought it was an amazing movie. So in the end, I really, really, really liked the movie.

But the book, comes out Saturday, ohh my gosh. I have waited such a long time for this. My mom and I are going out Saturday morning to get it. Only I told my mom she could read it first :( Cause I have two books to finish still :p But I am quite excited.

5. magic_munchies

magic_munchies Victim

Personally I think it was quite good! The book is incredibly complicated and they mangaged to make it quite well...The casting is very good, especially Umbridge! They missed out some important stuff, The last two movies will probably not be like the book sadly, But hey! It's only based on the book!

6. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I think, if you've read the books then you'll understand the movie, but if you haven't (and there's no one around to explain it) then you're screwed. Personally, I thought the movie was all right, but felt it should have been titled "Harry Potter and Dumbledore's Army." The Order seemed more background noise than anything else and poorly explained -- if at all. I know the books (and subsequently the movies) are supposed to be about Harry, but I thought this book demonstrated that the impending war was much much larger and concerned more than just the Boy-Who-Lived. I felt the movie lost this element and the fate of the wizarding world didn't seem so...threatening. Aside from Figg and Mad-Eye's few lines about watching Harry and the risk of death; there never appeared to be any threat.

I just wish the movie spent a couple of minutes explaining what risks the adult characters were taking by joining the Order (family, jobs, lives, reputations, etc), and what it meant with the knowledge of how the last Order ended up.

But Egg, I missed the Lupin/Tonks stuff as well -- mainly as a shipper. It would have been nice to have one of the snippets from the book pop into the movie as to possibly hint towards the sixth movie, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if their relationship gets axed in the next script. I'm not sure how, but they could find a way. It's important in terms of themes and undertones, but not plot.

Though on another random observation...so when you turn 17 and learn to apparate, you find out if you're either a good or bad wizard? All the good guys had the white smoke while all the bad guys were black. I wonder where Snape falls in? The guy probably doesn't apparate anywhere if that's the case, lol.

But I did enjoy certain aspects of the movie. I adored the actresses who played Luna and Bellatrix, and I again reminded of why Alan Rickman makes a fantastic Snape. Fred and George were again enjoyable to watch especially when they comforting the little guy.

7. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Well, after all the hoopla, we finally saw this.. I just don't get it. I get wizards and magic, but this was so far out of my element, that to me it was outlandish, absurd ridiculous, silly, unreal, unbeliveable to makebelive and stupid..flying creatures, half horse-half men, a giant, a nasty school marm, and all had a magic wand, and kept disinigrating one another, yet they were all still alive :eek: running here, there and everywhere and never explaing why, or how they got there! the special effects were awesome, I guess, but it was so dis-connected, and silly, I almost fell asleep, not my cup of tea at all :( to fake, and if this is what millions fo fans are into , I again, just don't get it..I like reality and something that makes sense.. sorry fans :( my friend was appalled as well, and shook her head, and when it was over she said "thank god"! Daniel Radcliff was sweet and a good actor and I liked Gary Oldman and Finnes.. but what the hell were they all doing? and bottom line..what was the point of this movie?

9. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

I enjoyed the movie very much. It had a lot more fantasy then the previous movies but I think it made it all the more interesting. I especially think the 'Luna' was a great addition! I enjoyed her character, and she is a fabulous actress.

Oh and Harry's kiss...:eek: That was not a kiss! That was a makeout and I surprised by it :lol:. Me and my friend both looked at each other and were like "Okay thats long enough"...:lol: I think it would have been better if it was one little kiss, IMO :)

One more thing...Umbrigde...she was horrible!(not her acting but just her character) I was waiting for someone to kill her or for the giant to eat her or something. She got on my nerves but that's a problem with the movie, it's just what I was feeling :lol:

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Did you read any of the books or see any of the previous movies before going to see this one? If fantasy and science fiction are not your bag, then boy did you wander into the wrong movie... and the wrong thread. The movies and books are all about escapism into a world that clearly does not exist, hence centaurs, giants, and magic wands sharing space.

Anyone who isn't into the fantasy genre would have seen this movie as unexciting, and perhaps even a bit dull, but most of the people who are posting here are fans of the books and movies and are contributing discussions on what they liked, and comparing the elements in the movie to the structure of the book.

11. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I watched it yesterday, the original version, not the German one because I just love those accents. I'm a huge HP fan and I really liked the book, so it was a pity that they left some stuff out that I enjoyed in the book! But however, the special affects were amazing, they get better with each film, and the new characters were great, I hated Umbridge right from the beginning, but the acting was just superb! The same ges for Luna Lovegood, my gosh this dreamy voice... fit perfectly! And I was happy that the Weasley twins got more screen time, I love those guys! And the scene with the little boy was cute!
    I was impressed by Daniel Radcliffe, I just watched HP4 a few days ago and he has made great progress since the last film! He looked much more grown-up and acted really good.
    It was apity that Sirius' death was only such a short scene. But well, you can't put the whole book into 120 min.
    Aw I'm so much looking forward to the next and last book! Right now I'm reading The Half-blood Prince again so that I won't be all confused when I read The Deathly Hollows. The good thing is that the English version won't be sold out in Germany tomorrow so there's no need to hurry for me.

12. Desertwind

Yes the wrong movie but not the wrong thread, I was voicing my opinion observations and views on this movie. I went in with a open mind, and ws totally receptive and so wanting to enjoy it, however as stated, I couldn't relate to anything [what is a Muggle?] HP fans assume that everyone loves this genre, but that's not the case :(, I have enjoyed fantasy movies in the past 'ET', Jurassic Park" "Planet of the Apes' and the all time classic "The Wizard of Oz", and no I've never read a HP book, or would have any interest in that, I prefer a movie like "A Mighty Heart" the true story of Daniel Pearl the journalist who was murdered in Pakistan, and they found him be-headed and buried in a shallow grave, and Angelina Jolie portrayed his real life wife, that's a true story. And, they've never known what happend or who did it!,,,,,,,,,, and no offense to anyone who gets into or loves HP ;) to each ones own, and different strokes!

13. togo2hot

togo2hot Prime Suspect

yahh me..tooo..i watched it two weeks ago and it was great but they left out quite a lot from the book....still it was great,,btw could i ask wat sence between ron and hermony n between harry and ginny..please help me out here..thanks.

14. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

Hey desertwind a muggle is a person that can't do magic like us. If you have any questions just ask us.

This is to anyone in general, in order to understand the movie you need to read the books first. The books explain everything better than the movie. Most of the people that complain about this movie are people that don't read the books, a lot of important stuff in the books was left out of the movie and that is why it doesn't make sense to people that don't read the books. I hope I made sense.

I loved the movie, I thought it was great. I have seen it 4 times already and in about a month or so it comes out in the dollar theater by my house. I will see it just about everyday except Sundays. I guess I have gotten used to the directors leaving things out of the movies by now. I just ignore whatever they leave out, I don't judge it because they left out a small scene, although Hermione should have S.P.E.W, Hermione and Ron should be prefects, and they need Quidditch(I think I spelled that wrong, I am ashamed).

I LOVED Luna Lovegood, she was perfect. I liked her better in the movie than in the books. She was SO cool in the movie. I would be friends with her. She is my non-main character that I like, meaning I like her after I like Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I Loved her dreamy voice, she actually talks like that in real life I saw her in an interview.

I also LOVE Tonks, she was amazing. I thought she was very young and pretty. She seemed kind of weird in the books. In the movie it seemed like Luna and Tonks liked Harry, although that is fine with me. I would love it if he got with either of them. I love Luna and Tonks characters. The actresses did a real good job with their characters. Evanna Lynch and I have the same birthday, that is awesome, even though shge is a year older than me.

15. Desertwind

Thank's but I had an in depth conversation with a person on one of my stores I call on.. we took a break together, and she said the exact same thing "Have you read the book's? I screamed "NO" and she said, that'll explain everything to you, and maybe you'll feel different.. the thing is these characters are all imaginary, that's what I can't get passed :confused: I glad your all loving this, but I do feel like odd man out, I just am not into fake unrealistic situations that I can't relate too! but I appreciate you not getting miffed at me for feeling this way :( If I want to go into a fake world of magic, I'll visit Disneyland :D