Gun Control

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Showtime, Apr 26, 2007.

1. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

I don't think it's the fact that every male has a gun that makes it a safe place, it's moreso the knowledge that every male has a gun. If someone is planning on robbing a house, etc. they're going to think twice about it because they know that if there's a male in the house, they'd probably get a gun shoved in their face. I don't know how it is in Europe but I know here soldiers aren't allowed to take their military-issued weapons home.

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh yeah, countries that have normal army, they cannot take their weapons at home but Switzerland has unique system. So they have rifle at home but gun, and ammo is sealed and they are very strict about that.

I think this explains something

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland

In general, in Europe (at least here) it's just very hard to get a gun, sure we have robberies and stuff, not so much, but then there's used erm... other weapons. Guns are really, really rare.

3. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

luvspeed, I just imagined home improvement markets would offer little DYI-packages to produce your own amo at home.

(I´m not a native-american. Due to this I didn´t understand why I should not be able to win. In case you want to clarify that, please send me a PM.)

4. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i guess its just us crazy Americans cuz in Nevada there is no restriction on sale or possesion of a military semiautomatic weapon.

5. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

^An alternative would be police-weapons. You think police locks their guns safe enough?

Refering to my idea of self-made bullets. Maybe this is forbidden. Don´t know what it´s about with bullets exactly, but you can buy things to mix explosives legally.

So, what scares me is we can´t prevent you from buying ingredients (for bombs or similar). Law only allows us to stop you, if you already mixed explosives - when it´s more than to late to stop you. :eek:

6. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

that is true. i guess that is something to think about. i mean they are trying to stop the production of meth by making simple over the counter medicines hard to get. for example, its so hard to get tylonal sinus medicine because it can be used to make meth. but what they are forgetting is that it would take a truck load of medicine to make that. so by trying to stop the production its starting to hinder the needs of the people.

so what do we do? :confused:

7. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

As we talk about medicine I´d suggest to only hand it to people who can show something written by their doctors that they need this medicine for their own health.

Refering to guns I´m afraid my assuption as long as there´re weapons people will abuse them is truer than we ever dare to confess.
    So you think assumed that one nation stops its gun-productions this will show other states there´s no risk for them to follow? :confused:

8. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

referring to medicine- it seems kinda silly to go to a doctor for every little cough and sneeze that you have when you can get a medicine to help you get over it before it gets worse.

referring to guns-i agree that as long as weapons are around people will do crazy things. but i still believe that its ridiculous to blame an inanimate object for something the person did.

9. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Good point. Maybe we shouldn´t limit ability of medicine for easy deseases. However another problem I see in shape of the internet.

Knowing where to search young kids can purchase "soft-air"-guns using plastic-amo. Unfortunately they look like real guns. Yet we can´t expect police to differ between "soft-air" and realistic guns within seconds. :eek:

That´s the issue. Ability-restrictions are still somewhat lax. So almost open abilty does catch our eye better. Therefore ability can´t remain as free as now no way.

10. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

now the whole toy gun thing i think should be stopped. i guess its because my parents never let me play with one so when i saw a real gun i didn't think it was a toy. we should remind children that guns aren't toys.

11. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Yes, but then you´d have to restrict computer-games and cartoon-tv-shows additionally. Because if children see their tv-hero has a gun, then they want to have it as well.

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Pathologist

I agree with you, Detective_Burn, tv influences kids.
    In Portugal, lot of kids play with their parent's guns and in most cases, they injure themselves or other kids. I think that persons who have guns, should have them keep safe from kids. Unfortunately, that not always happen. :(

13. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

see for things like tv i'm kinda torn. like i used to watch looney toons but i never got the urge to shoot a rabbit. i also used to watch power rangers but i never got the urge to take a gun and shoot someone. but ya i see your point. kids are influenced by tv because they don't understand its fake. we have to remind them that violence isn't he answer, guns can hurt people, and TV is all fake.

14. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Hey - I still watch Power-Rangers, though I´m aged 24. :D

No, seriously. You´re right. Main-goalof catroons is to bring fun to little kids. Yet their worlds are artifical.

Guess that´s a really good conclusion. May I second that?

Hey - let me introduce another question:
    You think young adults, who played with guns at kids-age, joyn military more often? :eek:

15. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

don't know. i guess that can be an influence too. many things can influence a person to join the military. TV, games, toys, i guess the idea needs to develop over time.

example, my cousin wanted to be a Marine since he was 5. the idea popped into his head when he saw "Sand of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne.