"Gum Drops" Discussion Thread **Beware Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Air Date: 10/20/05 (THURSDAY)
    Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: "Gum Drops"

THE CSI TEAM INVESTIGATES WHEN A FAMILY OF FOUR IS MURDERED IN THEIR OWN HOME, BUT THE BODIES ARE MISSING FROM THE CRIME SCENE.

"Gum Drops" -- When the blood evidence suggests only three people were killed, Nick is the only one on the CSI team that believes the fourth family member, the young daughter, is still alive. Now, it's a race against time to find the perpetrators who may lead the CSIs to a possible survivor.

Gil Grissom: William Petersen
    Catherine Willows: Marg Helgenberger
    Warrick Brown: Gary Dourdan
    Nick Stokes: George Eads
    Captain Jim Brass: Paul Guilfoyle
    Sara Sidle: Jorja Fox
    Greg Sanders: Eric Szmanda
    Dr. Robbins: Robert David Hall
    David Phillips: David Berman
    Sophia Curtis: Louise Lombard
    Hodges: Wallace Langham
    Archie Johnson: Archie Kao
    Cassie McBride: Mary Matilyn Mouser
    Jeremy McBride: Hunter Parrish
    Sheriff Brackett: Michael McGrady
    Luke Daniels: Chase Ryan Jeffrey
    Dr. Parker: Scott Paulin
    Sage: Melora Walters
    Elliot Perolta: Mark Pellegrino
    Mark Horvatin: Matt Funke
    Mark Horvatin Sr.: Don Michael Paul
    Mrs. Jill Locke: Jennifer Savidge
    Peter: Trever O'Brien
    Mr. Daniels: Lindsey Ginter

RATING: To Be Announced

Links:

Futon Critic
    CBS Video Promo
    CSI Files Text of promo

Side note: The plot of this episode was modified at the last moment to accomodate for a sudden change in William Petersen's availability -- originally, Gil Grissom was going to be the CSI convinced that the younger daughter was still alive.

2. ollieuan

ollieuan Lab Technician

I'm very excited about this ep. I'm also very glad the Grissom part in the ep went to Nick. It seems more geared towards his character anyway IMO.

3. lilbug

lilbug CSI Level Two

i was looking forward to seeing Grissom attack a suspect.. darn... :(

4. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

I think so too, and even though it sounds so cliched already, especially after what happened to him in Grave Danger. He thinks the girl is still alive because deep down, he feels that maybe she's out there somewhere waiting for everyone to come and save her? Kind of like he was in the box underground waiting and hoping for everyone to come save him? He was an adult, he was scared out of his mind, and she's just a little girl. The emotional and equally lovable side of Nick doesn't want the little girl to die while they go around presuming that she's already dead and do little to actually save her.

Does it sound logical or am I stretching a bit? Even if I am--he's still got to be a little edgy about missing persons.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

beautiful loser...I cant agree more with you. Even this part was initally for Grissom, it fits better to Nick, he can really be in that lil girl shoes, just him can know how this girl feels. The reason why this part was rewriten for Nick is sad, but I think is more obvious a case like this can affect Nick more than Grissom.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Oh..no, this is much better suited for Nick. I mean it's great continuity for his character after what he went through. Before I couldn't understand why it was Grissom that was having a meltdown because it wasn't like he was the one stuck underground for 24 hours. Gees. So this is fabulous, fabulous stuff.

When I first downloaded the promos, I was a bit creeped out by the litle girl's voice. I was thinking of Sumara from The Ring, and then Nick's screech as screams at the suspect, "Where is she!!!?" made me jump a bit in my chair. I had the same reaction to the promo of Grave Danger when Nick scream. Man that GE can scare the living daylights out of you. He's such a good actor.

I'm just so excited, so excited. I'm definately taping this episode.

*Picks up Nicky the rabbit and dances around the room with him.*

Read my NickyAngst/humour http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2618240/1/

7. abharding

abharding Rookie

The thing is this could also be said of Grissom. Grissom's reaction's to the suspect might be the way he wanted to with Nick, but couldn't because it wouldn't have done any good...(and that was what he focused on...finding Nick) Particularly attacking one of the suspects... he never got a chance to really confront Walter Gordon - the man killed himself before that happened... I think he still would have a lot of anger about what happened and no real way to deal with it. This could have been a way to show that Nick is not the only one suffering aftereffects of his kiddnapping...

However, with WP unable to complete the episode, Nick was the best second choice. Even without what happened in GD, he has a soft spot of kids and people in trouble... the ones with no one else to turn to.

8. Destiny

Guys lets keep all spoilers (No advance warning needed we have one in the title) reguarding this EP in this thread, this way those who are trying to stay spoiler free can, until the ep airs, then they can come in and discuss it, without problems.

9. ancienttomb

ancienttomb CSI Level Three

Me too :(, I've waited for years seeing Grissom get violent :(

10. Destiny

myfuturecsi Wrote:

11. lemon_grass

lemon_grass CSI Level Two

To be fair, I think Grissom getting emotional over the missing girl would've been very believable, too. Granted, we don't know much about his motivation like we do with Catherine or Nick, but he's always had issues with crimes against children - in a subtle, Grissom way - the most recent example that springs to mind is "Harvest". And I think abharding made an excellent point about Grissom not getting closure with Walter Gordon and therefore takes his frustration out on this particular suspect.

That said, with WP gone, Nick is without a doubt the best choice to hand off the storyline to. This is a golden opportunity to get a deeper look into Nick's PTSD, and I'm so glad the writers are going with it. This is going to be the first time we see Nick lose it with a suspect (or with anyone, for that matter), right? It's going to be intense. :eek:

12. ancienttomb

ancienttomb CSI Level Three

Well Grissom looks scary too after he worn the beard. And I didn't even recognize the scream: Where's she? comes from Nick's mouth coz Grissom's scream is so similar to Nick's :lol:.....I rewatched it and found No beard on that guy's face........oh, It's Nick :lol:

13. trackeye

trackeye Victim

I agree with you all. I think that Grissom would have carried off this episode just fine. Since he wasn't able to, I think that Nick was the obvious character to take over.

I can't wait until Thursday!!!!!

14. jeniks

jeniks Police Officer

Woo Hoo...Hodges and Archie both make an appearance! Yet another reason to look forward to the episode!

15. ford_prefect

ford_prefect CSI Level Two

I agree that this storyline would have worked for Grissom, but I think Nick is actually the better choice. And I'm not just saying that because he's my favorite. As has been said, I think Nick will be able to put himself in this girl's shoes, having already been there himself, and that is why he isn't able to give up hope that she is alive. He knows how important hope can be when it's all that you have. Also, unlike when he was buried and there was nothing he could do to help himself, this time he can be proactive in finding the girl and getting her to safety. This time he isn't helpless.

I don't think Nick would have ever gotten this kind of storyline under normal circumstances, based on what has been done with his character in the past. I mean, when has anything really interesting happened to him that didn't involve him becoming a victim?