Grade 'What Schemes May Come'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I liked it alot! And I agree goldnhart, both cases did bring up some thought-provoking questions about good vs. bad in the issues in the cases, and compelled me to consider both sides of the coin. Also some good twists, a couple that I didn't see coming.

Lots of face time for Flack, yay!! :D It's about time! And I got a chuckle out of Danny at the genetics lab.

I was happy to see Peyton, and once again, I enjoyed the interaction between she and Mac. It was a different little twist, with her doubting herself professionally.

And finally, nice to see some more continuity on Stella's HIV issue. She seriously connected with the woman at the end, and I thought the scene with she and Mac at the end, talking about her testing, was great. I love the deep, supportive friendship between those two.

Oh, and one more thought: Mac arrested the son of a politician? Can't remember exactly who his father was, but it's just one more thing that will probably come and bite Mac in the ass...

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

What was the sugar line? I missed it.

The rat-ear thing was creepy but I know that was in the news at one point.

ROFL at M_T, you are funny.

Anyone else hoping Mac would haul off and whack that guy in the end? His laughing was getting to me lol. I know Mac wouldn't have; it'd just be more trouble, but I wish someone would have.

The dead-not dead guy was fun because I was mentally yelling "Highlander...he's an immortal" lol I'm wierd that way.

Grr at the repeat next week though I understand them doing it.

Anyway, pretty good ep...I'll go with A.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ooh, I missed that. Very interesting. :D

Flack said something about the sugar you put in your coffee isn't really sugar, it's little tracking devices for the government. Was it something the guy in the fountain had said, maybe?...

4. CSIChick27

CSIChick27 Dead on Arrival

Yeah it was the fountain dude who told Flack that.

5. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Yeah, it was what the homeless man said.

Can I say how much I love crazy homeless people? Every episode should feature one. There's one where I work and he's awesome. His name is Arturo. Arturo is the most normal man in the world, polite and eloquent, but every once in a while he'll sporadically start yelling at the sun, or at parked cars, or at the government, and then just as quickly he'll quiet down and ask me for a glass of Coca Cola.

6. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

the girl who wanted to die like juliet...didn't she say by poison? wasn't Romeo the one to die by poison, and she kills herself with a knife? or was it the opposite...hmmm

7. elevatorfalls

elevatorfalls Victim

I don't know about the news, but the rat-ear was part of a story arc on Nip/Tuck with Rosie O'Donnell.

I totally enjoyed this episode. Flack just cracks me up!
    And where can I get a pink telephone like that!!! I want!

8. privatename

privatename Rookie

Way, way, way too much Peyton, but otherwise a solid episode. All that Peyton time could have been used to give us more time with Hawkes or really anyone else. But, I just don't like Peyton so every episode she is in is tainted for me.

You said it and I applaud you for it :)

I liked that the cases weren't as predictible (at least to me) as many of the recent cases were.

Did anyone else think that at the end after Stella said she was going to live life to the fullest and Mac looked contemplative that they were going to have him making some changes in his life in respect with moving on from Clairein a more complete way. I swear if they use this as an excuse to step up Peyton and Mac;s relationship, I will scream and then cry. But, maybe I am just reading too much into it.

9. Leftyguitar

Leftyguitar Police Officer

I thought it was an intersting episide, the cases were fun, there was LOTS of Flack, though Danny sorta disappeared after that weird rat.I agree Mac runnig down the stairs was funny and kind of sweet, it would've been funny for him to accidently knock poor Adam on his a**. Peyton's back! :D

I kinda guessed that the other case played out the way it did once I knew that the guy was dying, but it still fun to watch and Stella was great at the end.

10. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

I thought it was an okay eppy. Loved the scenes with Flack, and Danny's reaction to the mouse was amusing. Could've been less Lindsay being Captain Obvious (to quote Fay), and more crazy homeless guy. Tracking devices in the sugar? That's good to know. ;) :lol:
    I, of course, thought Adam could've been in this eppy. I would like to have seen his reaction to the mouse. I also liked that we got a lil more info on him.
    The part where the man came back to life was un-intriguing (sp?) for me. Already saw it in Miami, so I figured he just got bit by a snake.
    Overall, I gave it a C+.

11. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

"It's from a gooooat."

For some reason, that line made me laugh last night. It definetly wasn't the content, so it must have been the delivery. :lol:

I liked this episode. I didn't grunt and roll over in the last 15 minutes, like I usually do and whisper obsceneties under my breath.

12. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

I really liked this one as well. At one point during our chat, I was really surprised to see that the show was already 3/4 of the way through and it was not dragging.

As Fay said, thank you Captain Obvious Lindsay with her lines. On the whole she wasn't half bad last night, and for that I am grateful.

The cases were quite unusual and interesting. That ear on the rat's ass (sorry, Danny, that was definitely *not* his back) was freaky and gross all at once. The most striking part of the transgenics case was the absolute lack of remorse on the part of the two criminals. They used an unwitting subject in their experiment and didn't give a rat's ass (see what I did there?) that he was dead, only concerned that the experiment worked.

The only glaring flaw in the euthanasia case was the woman who wanted to die like Juliet. As someone else pointed out earlier, Juliet stabbed herself; it was Romeo who died by poison.

For interesting cases, excellent pacing, and the ability to make me gasp in shock when the "dead" man came back to life even though I'd seen it in a preview: A.

ETA: Jousting is the official sport of the state of Maryland :)

13. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

It was definitely the delivery. That line made me laugh, too. I loved it. :)

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Where to start, where to start? "What Schemes May Come" was far from impressive, but there were several highlights:

-Mac actually showing an emotion that wasn't grating sanctimony. His concern for Peyton was well done. It could have tilted into melodrama in the loading zone, and I fully expected him to snap at Danny when no evidence was immediately forthcoming. That he didn't was a welcome relief and showed that the writers know what deftness means.

I also like Peyton's defensiveness when Mac questions whether or not the lab tech was really dead. It wasn't charming, but it was realistic, and I'm glad that neither she nor Mac aren't afraid to question one another.

-Oodles of Flack last night. Flack, Flack everywhere, and it was good. I especially enjoyed his conversation with Mac, which lends support to my theory that he's more politically aware than most people give him credit for. He clearly keeps his mouth shut and his eyes open, though I do wonder how he came by the information that their initial suspect was a councilman's son. Somehow I can't see him lurking outside his captain's office like a bedongled Miss Marple.

Not only does their off-the-record conversation effectively put their animosity in "Consequences" and "Sweet Sixteen" behind them, but it underscores Gerrard's warning to Mac about his refusal to play politics. Flack gave Mac the heads-up because he was fully aware of the shitstorm it could become, and he was smart enough to do it off-the-record as some measure of career insulation.

Methinks that last night wasn't the last we'll be hearing of Mr. Beaufield, and I'm wonering if his father will embark on a grudge campaign against the lab. I hope not because that would essentially be a rubber-stamp reheating of Miami's mole storyline, but CBS has seemed bent on making NY a Miami clone since Miami became the #1 show in the world.

-Stella was amazing last night in the closing scenes, but I'm afraid I have to quibble with the underlying sentiments therein.

According to the ideology of CSI:NY, people with terminal illnesses should want to live and fight to do so with every fiber of their beings, but people confined to wheelchairs-and the relatives "forced" to cope with them always believe that it's better to die than go on living under such conditions.

Does that seem backwards to anyone else? I know that NY is a crime drama and not the Philosophy Hour, but I can't see how those sentiments jibe. At all. I should note that Stella has never wavered in her conviction that all lives are worth living and saving, and that the sentiments have less to do with her and more to do with inconsistent writing. If it's perfectly plausible to believe that a newly-disabled person would want to die(Here's to You, Mrs. Azrael), then why is it so difficult to believe that terminally ill people might want to die on their own terms?

The cases were largely forgettable, used as vehicles and backdrops for the dollops of plot advancement we received. I fully expect the remaining four episodes to follow the same pattern of major personal angst and disposable victims.

B-

15. dl_shipper34

dl_shipper34 CSI Level One

Great episode. Loved the knight and whole jousting thing :) cause I'm into that sort of stuff. Nice to see Flack had a lot of scenes in this one, though I was disappointed to not see a lot of Danny, but when I did he was really good. Loved how he reacted to that freaky-looking rat *taps on glass*. This is just me, but I liked how Lindsay described the flowers found on the knight. I knew there was no D/L scenes in this one but I was hoping to see more of her and Danny in this one. Ah well, least we got some Flack :)