Grade 'The Cost of Living'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 29, 2008.

?

How would you grade The Cost of Living?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. captain_nati

captain_nati Prime Suspect

Wow there are really many of us in here...I am Greek too!! It sounds like a slogan...anyway...I liked the episode! Especially the scene with Flack, Danny and Mac!! And Danny's quote" I think we're looking at a serial killer here and he's killing rats.":lol::lol: Adam was just adorable!! Melina's greek was very very good!! I don't think that anyone will think that we are violent...after all is just a show...
    I couldn't agree more!!:hugegrin::hugegrin:
    All in all I liked it as an episode and I give it an A!

2. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Okay, it's been driving me crazy, but who played the killer guy? I can't find it on imdb.com

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Chad Faust, I think.

4. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Doh! I knew I knew him from somewhere! Much better haircut than he had on The 4400! Thanks!

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I gave this episode a C+.

There were a lot of moving pieces, much like last week, but this one didn't seem to fit together or flow as well. Some of the pieces just seemed like "extra" stuff that took up time but didn't enhance the case much.

The premise of the case (identity switching) was interesting but it really wasn't explored very deeply, and the homemade gun seemed like something the writers threw in to make an otherwise routine case more ununusal. It's hard to imagine someone in Mitch's situation taking the time to build a weapon like this....Sure, it might make detection more difficult, but if the weapon were flawed (as it was in this case), the victim might survive and go on to press charges. Didn't quite pass the logic test.

That said, there were elements of the episode I enjoyed.

The paper airplane scene between Adam, Stella, and Mac was well done. All three actors played there parts well, and the "annoyed parent/naughty child" dynamic really came through. I also liked the banter between Danny, Mac, and Flack in the train tunnel. And the Rat Fisherman was both funny and a little disturbing at the same time. Too bad they killed him off -- could've been an interesting recurring character.

Stella's attack was handled well -- very intense and frightening with a realistic sense of danger. I would've expected her to be a bit more visibly bruised and scratched up after falling down those stairs and being thrown into a wall, though. I think MK did a good job with the ambulance scene -- seemed like she was pretty shaken and in a bit of shock. But is it just me, or did Mac and Flack seem a little too low-key about the whole thing? :confused: I guess they had to be there to actually get the whole effect.

While it was nice to see more of Flack's compassionate side, the motivation for it was a bit lacking, and it didn't seem warranted given how the girlfriend had behaved up to that point. It didn't help that the actress wasn't very convincing (imo)....I didn't feel much empathy for her and couldn't understand why Flack did. I like the idea that perhaps she reminded him of Samantha but would've been nice if it were a bit more obvious.

Besides the airplane scene, Adam was very prominent in this case -- so much so that the dynamics seemed a bit skewed and some of the other CSI's seemed more passive than usual. I know Adam is a valuable employee -- we see that almost every week. But even considering the promo for the next episode, I wondered why the writers felt the need to be so heavy-handed with his involvement this week.

I guess that was one of the little things that made the episode a bit "off" to me. Seems like the writers had specific plot points they wanted to cover and at times tweaked some of the characters a bit too much to fit the plot needs.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see how the Greek storyline and budget cuts previously mentioned will play out. And next week's episode looks promising from the promos.

6. Sam-Maddy

Sam-Maddy Rookie

I finally got to see this eppie and I really liked it. I thought the beginning seemed a little fake though. Why didn't the guy just get a permit from the city to dig there?

I totally wasn't expecting Stella to get thrown down the stairs and was quite shocked by it. At least she wasn't hurt too badly.

As soon as I saw the pen, I immediately thought of the lighthouse gift shop and the guy who worked there.

When I first saw the healed bullet wound on the victim, I thought that maybe he had been shot while on a dig in some foreign country. That maybe he was digging on protected lands where he should have or something like that and he was patched up in the field so to speak. I wasn't expecting it to be the angry girlfriend.

I thought it was sweet that Flack didn't tell the girlfriend the real cause of death. Even though she had a strange relationship w/the victim, she really seemed to care about him. Flack probably figured it would crush her to know the truth.

7. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I liked this episode, but I'm wondering if the way this episode ended, is the storyline gonna continue into the next episode.:confused:

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One