Grade 'The Cost of Living'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 29, 2008.

?

How would you grade The Cost of Living?

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. B+

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. athens

athens Coroner

Ok.I haven't seen the whole episode yet and I can't rate it.However,I've seen the scene with Stella and that guy so I can translate the Greek.

He first says gaidoura which as a word means donkey,it's a bad word,you can say a curse;).Stella says what do you want from me?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Ooh thanks, interesting translation. I was wondering what he'd said. :)

I enjoyed the episode. The fisherman was great, although as soon as Stella was attacked I figured he would be dead. :( And I really liked that Flack showed compassion to Laura, I was definitely expecting him to tell her that her bullet 2 years earlier was ultimately fatal.

Stella being attacked. :eek: She fared pretty well for a woman thrown down a flight of concrete stairs and then thrown against a wall! Still, it was dramatic and scary! And I loved her speaking Greek. :)

eta: I also liked Adam's paper planes. :lol: Naughty, naughty.

3. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

That's two strong showings in a row for CSI:NY. Maybe it was because Mac was in a more supervisory role while the rest of the team took front and center, but this case was firing on all cylinders. I'm on tenterhooks about Stella's Greek consulate storyline and want to know why Mr. Tall, Dark, and Shady was after that coin. Does the Greek ambassador know what his henchman is up to, or is Mr. TDS operating outside the law? Why is Mr. TDS so interested in that coin? Is it related to the mysterious death of Judge Crater in 1930? Unless TDS is secretly Imhotep, ageless mummy from beyond, he couldn't possibly be the killer.

Speaking of Stella, I was thrilled with her subway foray into Mortal Kombat. No, I don't like seeing women brutalized, but the fact is that being attacked by ne'er-do-wells is an inherent risk of the job, and I'm glad that TPTB didn't shy away from that because Stella has boobies. Crooks are not chivalrous, and they certainly aren't going to balk because their quarry is female. In fact, most assholes choose women because they are perceived to be the weaker sex. Not Stella. She showed her grit, her confidence, and her training.

That said, I'm glad she didn't Xena out and drop the cad like a wet potato sack. That would've strained credibility for me. Stella might be tough, but she's also slight, and I refuse to believe that she could've dropped an elite assassin.

It was interesting to see a gentler side of Flack this episode. While he was quick to drop on the fleeing girlfriend like a sex addict on a blowup doll in the abandoned subway, he exercised a rare moment of restraint in the interrogation room. He could've told her that it was her shooting that ultimately led to her lover's death by pen gun, but he chose not to. In fact, he chose to lie and tell her how lucky she was that the man she knew as James Sutton hadn't been seriously hurt or killed by the first shooting. It's a strange departure for Flack, who usually lays it all on the line. Why he would show such compassion is a mystery, since the bereaved girlfriend had done nothing but lie to him. Maybe he thought it was a truth that would ultimately do more harm than good.

I'm not sorry to see it, as he can often be incredibly harsh with suspects who later prove to be innocent, but I sincerely hope that this sudden softness isn't later attributed to his attraction to Angell. I can just hear the writerly glurge now:

"Well, now that Flack's in love, he's realizing that not everything is as simple as black and white."

Oh, please. Are you telling me that Flack, a smoking hot cop in his late twenties or early thirties has never tasted that sweet Georgia peach and called it love? Even adorkable Adam has tapped him some Suicide Girl ass, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Flack has had a serious relationship by now.

Then again, he could've been thinking of his wayward sister and how many times she's had her nose rubbed in her mistakes. Maybe he was still stinging from Sam's accusation that he found her embarrassing and eased off. That would be much more interesting to me than the tired, "My desire to pick the lock of Angell's glory box has softened my hard copper heart." Bleh.

Once again, the lack of abrasive Mactimony and soapy DL drama gave the show a chance to shine. It's only a pity the trend won't continue.

B+

4. athens

athens Coroner

Sorry the last part of the translation was wrong.He said I want what you took from the fisherman.Completely different I know:rolleyes:..Then Stella says 'I don't have it' and the guy says 'Describe it to me,tell me what you took because I'll kill you'..That's when she turns around..

5. EllieCSIfan

EllieCSIfan Civilian

Well, you know, I'm Greek and I didn't like the way they presented the Greeks in this episode. Now everyone thinks we are violent! Anyway, i thought the episode was fine.. it had a lot of action but ... i kind of miss the scenes between Danny and Lindsay or funny moments of Danny and Flack! Personally i like Adam very much...and he likes Stella! It's so obvious.. I thought the previous episode was way better! I laughed so much..it was great... this one was...good but still something is missing... :alienblush: Her Greek was very good though...

6. athens

athens Coroner

^That is true.But I hope the case/plot they presented will get more interesting in the future because it seems there will be more on this story.I will try not to comment on the [northern]Nicosia of Cyprus the girlfriend of the first dead guy mentioned.I was actually suprised they even knew that..Nevermind,Melina's greek in this episode were excellent!:thumbsup:Mpravo.

I found the episode good but not as good as it could be.It was interesting and I liked the plot but they could do better on the part of the characters.Not much of some of the characters like Hawkes and Lindsay.

I loved Adam though!:lol: :D

A-

7. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I have to say wasn't as good as last week but i still felt it was good and Stella's scene was pretty intense, interested to see where they take it now will be very interesting seems TPTB are going all out to show us they can do continuity.

I loved adam was cute him and the paper aeroplanes but it did look ever so fun.

Only suppose negative for me is that it lacked the team that we are used to seeing. And it kinda made me realise how Lindsay is kind of turning into the Greg of NY being that they are there when needed and brought in but you never see much else and its definately a pity.

Anf Faylinn I love your commentry I hate reading reviews before i watch but i've realised i can read yours because they are more amusing for me rather than giving to much away as its bullet points... means also notice random things.

8. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Okay, first, Faylinn's recaps frickin crack me up. :lol:

I actually really liked this episode. Liked it lots. As much as or moreso than last week, but for different reasons. Not as out and out funny, no, but somehow more compelling. Not over the top, and it well coulda been. One of the most consistent shows so far, with fewer of the absolute ups and downs some episodes have been subject to. The restraint and complexity mighta made it a little slower moving but I thought the plot was good and story told well and I think it still in the face of that had some great moments for just about all the team.

Solid ep. A.

Gotta say I disagree there. I think it was a pretty solid episode spaced out across the team, and that the characters each had good moments, but that they were all done without standing out as separate commentary from the plot. Stella does stand out some in this one, but I don't think anyone else was too lacking.

I did say most of the team because after last week's Glorious Moments for Lindsay there was very little of her here, and I'll only say in this thread that I don't mind that in the least. Sid got his usual in autopsy, innards-cam and spleen-prop moments were fun. Adam got his usual brilliant squirm moment that always makes me laugh. Always funny, always well played, while always moving the story forward. Mac got his history lesson, Danny had the rat-serial killer and a few smaller moments and looks thoughout the ep, Don got a few, the history test, the tackle, the interrogations, Stella got lots, from Wilford to StuntStella, and as for Hawkes, there is no one better than you. :)So I gotta say I think this ep did pretty good for all the characters.

Can understand what you're saying, but honestly, a fictional tv show could never sway my personal feelings about such things and I seriously doubt it would do so for anyone else, and I think you're giving far too much credit to the show if that's a concern. I think Greece came up because of Melina Kanakaredes' fluency with the language, and, as others have said in this thread or in others, this episode could be one or the lead in to one that Melina had a hand in developing with the opportunity to use her heritage and a story she's interested in telling.

Wilford the Rat Fisherman was a hoot, I thought he was great. :D Says a lot for such a small role that I liked him so much and felt oo-urg, awww no, bad when he was found dead. :( He coulda been a fun character to have recur here and there thru the season. Ah well. He was just that good I woulda liked to see him again.

I think Donnie was interesting in the episode. He was his usual great self with all the team moments, but his interaction with Sutton's girlfriend stood out as different from the get go. The very first scene when he was so sympathetic had me frowning curiously, and each one after that was a progression, until the final one where we were witness to the actual decision made not to tell her she ultimately killed the guy. That really was interesting, and I also liked Hawkes and Mac commenting after the fact.

Um, with also so little hinted at regarding Flack and Angell, I really wouldn't be willing to look there for any reason he had a softer line in this episode, nor would I necessarily think his sister was a factor. *shrugs* But that's just me.

Nice to see also Flack's equal opportunity in who he tackles. :p

I thought the idea for the episode was good. The whole archeology thing was different, and an interesting change of pace. I even hoped there would be more about the Greatest Unsolved Murder Mystery in New York. I also in hindsight really liked the fact that while they heavily hinted that Sutton was chased down by whoever was looking for the artifacts, he was in fact murdered because he was the james sutton that james sutton wanted to be. I never saw that promo, so that wasn't spoiled for me. It wasn't a groundshaking twist, but kept it from turning too Indiana Jones. The Death-By-Old-Gunshot-Wound was a little :rolleyes:, I agree, and the best part of the Floaty Pen Gun was definitely Hawkes figuring it out.

Loved Hawkes. Loved Adam and the airplanes. Stella's been getting a lot of action so far this season. Getting tossed over a stairwell by Joe, getting thrown down stairs by ScarMan. Stel, honey, look twice before taking the stairs anymore. Man. :lol: Also appreciate how they had Laura and James Sutton No. 2 meeting in Greece. Archeology's a brutal business, and beyond being what ultimately killed the guy in this episode, it gives a solid lead in for the story they started up for Stella and the Greek coins. Nice also that they've taken advantage of her ability to speak Greek and give opporutinity to use it in the show.

Another interesting episode, again with foreshadowing of more. Nearly expected another shadowy Indiana Jones warehouse moment and another shadowy hand reaching for the coin. Or the evidence box melting. Either way, I think it's another interesting hint at things to come, and I'm liking that there are indications of threads between episodes this season. I don't think they've really had so much of that before.

It's like, continuity or something. :p

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A-

Twisty and complicated, but in a good way. This is going to be short, because I'm pretty reviewed-out. :lol:

That's true; I did like that. It is time someone other than Stella got attacked--I don't like it when the female characters are shoved into the victim role too often--but you do make good points about the realism of it. And I love that Stella fought back and managed to fight the guy off.

And thanks for the Greek translations, guys! :D

Fay posted a similar theory in the review thread in the CSI News Forum. I think it makes more sense for Flack to be influenced by Sam than any feelings he has for Angell. Or perhaps it could be Danny--Flack has certainly been around Danny enough for some of Danny's sensitivity to maybe have rubbed off him. Just a bit--we don't want Flack going too soft. ;)

I definitely can't agree there--the less Lindsay, the better! It was nice not having to sit through one of her long-winded explanations. I still think the show would be better off without her.

10. seahawk

seahawk Prime Suspect

The Indiana Jones theme was obvious, but did anyone besides me get Lara Croft vibes from dead guy's girlfriend?
    I think the actress had a slight similarity to Angelina Jolie (lips, long hair, face). Ok, she didn't wear a sleeveless shirt and shorts, but still...

I agree with most people: good storyline, funny moments, but too convoluted at times

11. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Actually, in the flashback scene she was wearing a cap-sleeved shirt and shorts, her hair back in a long braid. Very Lara Croft-esque.

I noticed last night that the long-winded explanation was given to Adam, but he managed to pull it off without forcing me to switch over to another channel for the duration. :rolleyes:

12. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I just finished watching this. (I live in South Jersey and while I'm glad the Phillies won I really didn't need to watch an hour of people screaming instead of CSI:NY.) I thought it was good. To me they kind of redeemed themselves from the "OMG Stella gets attacked? ...Again?" boredom that I was expecting. Not "boredom" persay, but I was really expecting to be tired of everything happening to Stella and I didn't feel that way.

Adam and the paper airplanes: It really reminded me of when I was a kid throwing paper airplanes into the living room from the hallway in my grandparents' house and my parents giving me "the look" when I accidentally hit my cousin in the head with one. That was a fun scene.

13. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I was half watching it last night, but as I flipped back and forth between the things I was watching, I didn't see Lindsay very much. Was she even in the ep last night? From what I saw the ep looked okay but not great, I can't rate it though since I haven't seen the whole thing.

14. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

yeah. but we all know how much her absence in this episode is gonna be made up for. :vulcan:

but anyways, this episode was good. a touch of indiana jones is really cool. looove adam's paper plane scene. and i love the scene with the fisherman and stella and the blind sister. hilarious. i also felt a little somethin somethin between the girlfriend and flack. idk. or maybe it's just me lol. overall i liked the episode, though it needed more danny/flack lol. i give it an A-. :)

15. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I'm Greek too, but I doubt anyone will find us violent after a fictional show. If they do, they're all malakas :lol:.

I cringed watching Stella get thrown down the stairs. First with Frankie & now this? I know she's mega tough but there's only so much I can handle lol. I'd like to see one of the boys, particullary(sp) Danny, get into a fight :devil:.