Grade "Tanglewood"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 26, 2005.

?

Which is the better couple?

1. Gil and Sofia

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Gil and Sarah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gil and Lady Heather

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. Gil and strange Transgender woman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

How would you grade tonight's episode? :cool:

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Coroner

Re: Grade "Tanglewood"

I really liked this episode, but I must say: I HATE CLIFFHANGERS!! :mad:
    I wonder when we're actually going to find out the full extent of Danny's involvement with the Tanglewoods.
    It was cool how they processed the shoe prints in the snow and I loved how Mac was giving Sonny attitude, putting him in his place at the end!
    The B storyline was strong this episode.
    "I've got girlfriends for that. Why would I pay?"
    D: "So this is where it all goes down."
    A: "Or up..."
    :lol: :lol:
    I love it when Danny and Aiden work together! :D

Apparently, that's called the C-step and spells out the word 'Crips'.

3. SkeletonJack

SkeletonJack CSI Level One

Wow.. that's what i have to say about Tanglewood...whoa. That episode was insane. I loved the whole thing. The snarky Danny and Aiden moments in the B story, the mob, the funny dance that dumb kid did near the car. I'm not a huge fan of Stella, but she didn't even bother me this episode. and the camera work, holy cow. I loved how Danny told Mac all that stuff about the gangs, and almost died when that guy said that he knew all about my poor Danny. I wanted to jump into the tv and give him a hug. On a scale from 1-10 this one has a 15 in my book.

4. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

I'm not going to grade until I go over the episode again but...

Me neither. I was surprised and...glad. I really don't want to hate her.

Danny, Danny, Danny...girlfriends? Tsk tsk ;)

I loved the Danny end shot.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Did anyone get the feeling that Danny may have known a bit TOO much about this particular gang? He did say that they tried to "bring him in" at one time, but he stayed out of it. I'm beginning to wonder about that. I also thought Danny looked a bit nervous when he went to speak with Mac in Mac's office. Remember Mac did his bit about wanting to belong and Danny being smart enough to stay out of the gang and that Danny should be proud of that. Danny said twice "I am proud of it, I am." Or words to that effect. Got the impression then that there was more to the story.

AND THEN! Then the ending when that mobster wannabe said "Ask Danny Messer. He works for you, right? He knows all about us and we know all about him." Right then and there my mind went to the spoilers that have been around about Danny getting into trouble. What sealed it for me though was the "Oh F**K" look on Danny's face when he whipped his glasses off. That pained look when he shut his eyes. I'm gonna bet Danny's troubles tie back into this episode.

Of course, I think Danny needs to take his shirt off to prove he doesn't have a Tanglewood tattoo on his shoulder. It may not be the shower scene I've seen discussed avidly on this BB...but it's a start! ;)

ETA: DUH!! I just went over to the news section of the site where it did say that this episode would start to reveal a bit of a backstory for Danny and his "connection" with the Tanglewood boys. Should have checked the news first I guess!

6. lament

lament Captain

I was thinking the same thing! I think we could dredge up a few volunteers to check said shoulder! ;)

I will make further comments after I've had some sleep.

7. elusiveblue

elusiveblue Pathologist

This was a great ep., absolutely fabulous! To me, it justed felt, finally, like a part of the CSI franchise. It just feels like it is finally falling into place for NY.

Not to mention the back story with Danny. I love back stories!!! And I think Danny's is going to just be AWESOME!!!

And I mean, it has a Deluise boy associated to it...it had to be good right?.

8. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I agree that Danny knows way too much about the Tanglewood Boys. I was actually waiting for him (ok wanting him) to take his shirt off to see if he had the tatoo.

I especially liked the scene where Danny was with Mac in Mac's office and Danny's behavior while asking him about the Tanglewood case. It was like he was either 'fishing around' to see what Mac knew, or he was waiting around to tell him something... The scene at the end, with the Tanglewood Boy in the interrogation room, (I cannot think of his name!) and Danny's frightened look hiding in the shadows was great.

The writing of this episode was awesome, although I will have to say that I don't like cliffhangers, but just think, that just means more of Danny to come. :cool:

9. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Wow, I really loved this episode. Adelina's nose didn't even bother me that much. Miami is officially the worst of all CSIs.

I'm really loving NY's cast chemistry. Mac/Stella, Danny/Adelina, Mac/Sheldon, Adelina/Flack, Mac/Stella/Flack, Mac/Danny... whoever NY's casting director is, mad props.

I'm also loving the humor. Every time Danny and Adelina get a scene together, I know I'm gonna laugh. I also love, love, the fact that Stella thinks she's funny, but she's so totally not. And that, in turn, makes her funny. Every time she makes a joke, Mac gives her this, "That wasn't actually funny," look, but then that look on her face, she's so proud of her jokes, that he always ends up chuckling. I love that. Usually characters are either funny or not funny. Stella is funny, to me, cause she's so lame. My sister is exactly like that. So yay for realistic writing.

The scene where the husband breaks that crystal window to get to his wife gave me chills. Really well done.

Maybe it was the fact that I had to watch this at 5 in the morning, but I totally thought that Mac had implied that Tanglewood was a gay gang and Danny was involved in it. I thought for a second, "Wow, Danny's gay! That rocks! Everyone at csifiles must be hating that," but then I realized it wasn't a gay gang. How cool would a gay gang be, though? Drive by make overs, decorative breaking and enterings... An idea whose time has come? Plus, 'Tanglewood'? That is the gayest thing I've heard since 'Driveshaft'.

P.S, for a moment there, the idea that Danny was gay made a little too much sense. Don't hate me, but I could buy him as a gay guy. When he made that comment about the girlfriendS, my immediate reaction was, "... right." But if he's not, that's cool, too. I'm just telling you what I heard.

I'm warming up to Adelina more and more. I used to loathe her when the show started, but now she's okay. I may even start calling her Aiden... nah, I don't think I will. Loved her coat, though. Also loved Stella's coat, but they must be freezing in those things. What the producers will do for a little winter cleavage.

Also, I'm glad Mac is lightening up, too. Not only in his scenes with Jane, but overall, he seems more human. The whole depressive thing wasn't working for him anyway. Not that I wanna see him jerking after 5 shots of expresso, but the guy needs a little sunshine.

Jane Parsons looks so much like someone... only I don't know who. Where could I have seen this actress? She's got a bit of an Elizabeth Mitchell thing going for her. Also, is the actress really British? Cause maybe it's the writing, but I'm not feeling the British. Not that I'm fishing for stereotypes, but she acts... just not British. She's too much of a cut out for me to care about her, too. I don't know, she just seems really fake. DNA, girl, put that hair up.

Loved, LOVED, the red herring of Lee's wife. It was really refreshing. Normally she'd be the guilty party, since the A case was so time consuming, but I liked that they took their time and made her innocent. I'm tired of the guilty wives clichés. Ditto with the husband. I thought they were going there, too. I was really happy with how that turned out.

How much did I love Sonny? How much did I love the actor who played Sonny? How much did I love the Italian accent? How much did I love that last scene overall? Could we see Sonny again? Pwease?

Forgettabatit!

Oh, the ammount of angsty!Danny fanfic that's gonne come out of this... "The Tanglewood Boys kidnap Aiden to get back at Danny." 50 bucks that one's gonna come up less than a week from now.

Gave the episode an A+. I'm even gonna watch it again when I get home. That's never happened to me before. Does... not... compute...

10. Top41

Great ep, except now one of my favorite characters is a liar. :p C'mon, Danny--show us the Tanglewood tattoo--bet yours has an 'in' date and an 'out' date. He did say that most people don't get out alive, but he didn't say all.

My question is...how can Mac not fire him now? It's a bad deal to have a dirty cop around. Not that Danny is dirty, but if he's willing to put his neck out for this gang/can be blackmailed, that's a pretty bad thing.

Danny looked guilty, guilty, guilty in Mac's office. He was lying initially, but why? Why not just leave out the bit about never joining the gang if he did. I guess that would still be a lie of omission, but a lie of comission is slightly worse. Maybe there's more to it than that.

Count me as another one who loves that mouthy bad boy, Sonny. He cracked me up, even if he was a pretty bad guy. Loved the dance. :lol:

11. sherlock21b

sherlock21b Victim

Hurray--finally some real character development!!!

So Danny's originally from Yonkers? That explains the accent (FYI: Yonkers is regarded by most NYC residents as one of the worst sections of ritzy Westchester). The weird thing though--if the crime was actually committed in Westchester (which isn't NYC), then the NYPD wouldn't have been investigating it.

It was kind of cool that they incorporated actual gangs into the episode. (Yes, the notorious Tanglewood Boys do exist--check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tanglewood_Boys)

As for Danny--I have to say, that I too am wondering about the presence of a Tanglewood tattoo with a start and an end date. (Actually, in "Blink," I'm pretty sure there's a flash of a tattoo on Danny's upper arm/shoulder in the scene where Danny and Aiden are collecting evidence on the trash barge). I foresee lots of fanfic on the topic until we know more (cliffhangers stink!).

One cool little item that hints at possible schooling on the streets that got overlooked in "Night, Mother" because of the cute teasing about Aiden flunking the bell test was that Danny got the 20 intothe pocket without ringing the bell--that takes talent and experience.

I think Danny wanted to tell Mac when he came to see him in his office, but looks up to him too much to ruin any image he's managed to build up. I don't think he's dirty--more likely he got his act together (or he's the "white sheep" of a "black family") and is ashamed of his background. That could explain the passion for justice (reformed anythings tends to throw themselves against whatever it is they've been reformed of).

In order to have made it in (or to have run with the Tanglewood crowd), he'd likely have to have Mafia family connections. Though Messer's not really a mafia last name, so who knows.

One thing though: If he'd actually had a criminal record as anything except a juvie, I doubt he would have gotten into the NYPD. It's very likely that if he does have a shady past, he did it as a juvenile or he never got caught.

My favorite moment:Aiden telling Danny that guys all pay for it one way or another while they're working the massage parlor.

12. keiko

keiko Pathologist

A+!
    I thought it was one of the best so far.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Her name is Aiden come on spell it A-I-D-E-N Aiden Burn,before you talk about somebody make sure you know there name correctly.

14. Top41

Good point--I hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, that is kind of cool! I like when they do that, and I think the CSI shows do it pretty well.

Danny has a tattoo on his arm, but it's definitely not a Tanglewood one. It's some sort of design--it's actually Carmine's tattoo, so I guess Danny has it by default.

Good point--Danny wouldn't naturally know that as a CSI! Like you said, that's a skill you get from experience. Methinks Danny's been a very, very bad boy in the past. :cool:

That's a good point. It hadn't occured to me that maybe Danny came to Mac to come clean, and then Mac's standing there telling him how he made the right choice by not getting involved with those guys. How do you say, "well, actually..." after that?

I have a theory that he changed his name. I don't think Messer is his real last name. Is Messer even an Italian name?

I'd guess he mostly didn't get caught, but that he has some sort of juvvie record. I imagine Mac or Stella could dig that up--and that they might, later in the season.

:lol: Me, too! I loved that. Aiden's kind of a cynic, but in a funny way.

15. KiraGrissom

KiraGrissom Judge

I wonder if we'll ever find out about Danny or will they just leave ya guessing. I hate when they do that.