Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• D-

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • F

• Total voters
What on Earth was up with all those bizarre split screens and slow motion shots? It was so distracting and kept taking me out of the story. Isn't that usually CSI:Miami's routine? I hope CSI:NY isn't going to make a habit out of this...
They should totally have a sound effect when they do slow motion. :lol:

(Maybe they have a new person editing the show or something - gotta be hip and edgy.)

I miss her cleavage. I don't care if she looks professional or not but she can't turn from Sexy Stella to Mother Superior Stella
:lol: The girls have not been very visible lately, and this is quite a shame.

By the way, I've seen this in multiple TV shows, and it's always confused me. Flack was doing CPR, Angell checks the kid's pulse, and says he's dead. Isn't the point of CPR to restart a not beating heart? IE, try to make him not dead?

Not only that, but wouldn't CPR cause a faint, but false heartbeat? I'm not totally certain about that, tho. But, you're right, let's make him not dead. But then Flack would never have been in trouble.

By the way, I've seen this in multiple TV shows, and it's always confused me. Flack was doing CPR, Angell checks the kid's pulse, and says he's dead. Isn't the point of CPR to restart a not beating heart? IE, try to make him not dead?

Not only that, but wouldn't CPR cause a faint, but false heartbeat? I'm not totally certain about that, tho. But, you're right, let's make him not dead. But then Flack would never have been in trouble.

CPR helps to keep a flow of oxygenated blood to the organs in the body until such a time as the heart can be restarted. It is possible to restart the heart with chest compressions but more likely the person will need a combination of drugs and defibrillation. The only time you might only do a couple of chest compressions and then give up is if it's obvious that the person won't recover i.e. if their injuries are too severe, if they are elderly or sick anyway and it seems that the death is a natural expected one. In the case of a young person you would pull out all the stops, continue with CPR until the EMT's got there, administer emergency drugs and defibrillation and get them to the damn hospital. :rolleyes:

I have worked resuscitations for an hour or more, even in a couple of cases that have led to opening the chest to perform internal massage and defib, particularly when the person has their whole life ahead of them. You wouldn't just stop like that and it certainly wouldn't be a cop's call to stop. :)

Carrieattheprom, great to see you back! :D

Decided to de-lurk, though i'm probably too old.

Two things annoyed me this week. Why did Mac the 'evidence man' not only jump to the conclusion that the victim was a pedophile, but allow Danny to say something like "he probably deserved it". The only one to wait for the evidence was Sheldon. If I was the widow, I would have decked Lindsay with those flowers. It would also be OOC for the original Danny to say something like that.

Very glad you decided to de-lurk--welcome! And I agree that Mac's visceral reaction to what he saw led him to be more lenient than he otherwise would have. It was a typical Danny reaction, but unusual for Mac. I think the subject matter really made him angry.

Secondly, when the camera panned to the other wrestler, I knew he was to blame. This is becoming normal practice. Last week the fiancee was allowed into the crime scene, just so we saw him and the helicopter girl from earlier in the season almost had a freeze-frame moment. I like to guess the 'baddy', but not in the first five minutes.

Yep, I've noticed that, too. Sometimes the show is not-so-subtle about stuff like that.

I have worked resuscitations for an hour or more, even in a couple of cases that have led to opening the chest to perform internal massage and defib, particularly when the person has their whole life ahead of them. You wouldn't just stop like that and it certainly wouldn't be a cop's call to stop. :)

Totally OT and just out of complete curiosity, but have you ever managed to revive someone when it's gone that far?

Totally OT and just out of complete curiosity, but have you ever managed to revive someone when it's gone that far?

Unfortunately not. The most memorable effort was with a young mother who had a cardiac arrest because of a clot on her lung, we tried for nearly two hours but at some point you have to say enough is enough. Back in the day (15 years ago) it was hospital policy here in the UK that if someone arrested in a hospital environment and you witnessed it you gave a sharp thump to their sternum and sometimes it jump starts the heart. I don't think they do that now because it can cause more damage than good, but I did have one successful attempt although the patient was a little pissed when she came around, wanting to know who hit her!

Back on topic, it's a little frustrating that tptb look for the most expedient way to tell the story. They could have had EMT's taking the boy out of the precinct then someone telling Flack that he'd died. I appreciate they'd have had to use extras but they didn't even have to show the hospital or even an ambulance. Just a couple of guys (or gals) to carry the boy would have sufficed. One of the reasons I never watch hospital dramas is because it's just too damn frustrating. I don't suppose a lot of forensic scientists watch the CSI franchise for that reason alone, unless they want a good laugh!!:)

Unfortunately not. The most memorable effort was with a young mother who had a cardiac arrest because of a clot on her lung, we tried for nearly two hours but at some point you have to say enough is enough. Back in the day (15 years ago) it was hospital policy here in the UK that if someone arrested in a hospital environment and you witnessed it you gave a sharp thump to their sternum and sometimes it jump starts the heart. I don't think they do that now because it can cause more damage than good, but I did have one successful attempt although the patient was a little pissed when she came around, wanting to know who hit her!

Oh wow, that must be so hard to lose someone like that, especially after trying so hard to get them back. :( Too funny about the woman who was pissed about being hit--when it was explained to her that that saved her life, did she understand or was she still mad?

Back on topic, it's a little frustrating that tptb look for the most expedient way to tell the story. They could have had EMT's taking the boy out of the precinct then someone telling Flack that he'd died. I appreciate they'd have had to use extras but they didn't even have to show the hospital or even an ambulance. Just a couple of guys (or gals) to carry the boy would have sufficed. One of the reasons I never watch hospital dramas is because it's just too damn frustrating. I don't suppose a lot of forensic scientists watch the CSI franchise for that reason alone, unless they want a good laugh!!:)

Yeah, immediate, exciting storytelling often conflicts with real-life accuracy. Sometimes it's easier to swallow than others, but at times it just really can grate on the nerves.

Yeah, immediate, exciting storytelling often conflicts with real-life accuracy. Sometimes it's easier to swallow than others, but at times it just really can grate on the nerves.

I get irritated about a few things:
1) they get test results FAST! :wtf:
2) they ALWAYS have what they need to determine what was used as a weapon (like Danny's chainsaw experience!). They never seem to be short on stuff like that!
3) They always seem to solve the crime. Always. I know several cops personally, and they have numerous unsolved crimes each year. And that's in a sparsely populated area.

*Sorry to get this far OT*

Oh wow, that must be so hard to lose someone like that, especially after trying so hard to get them back. :( Too funny about the woman who was pissed about being hit--when it was explained to her that that saved her life, did she understand or was she still mad?

It was hard, gut wrenchingly so. It's one of the reasons I don't do it anymore, there's only so much of the dark side of life you can take before you get burnt out. :) And no, the woman I thumped was still mad!! :lol:

Very true. For me, this episode was of the hard to swallow, grating variety. :)

I am not a forensic scientist but I am a scientist and it can be frustrating as they are so many scientific inaccuracies. You can forgive some for the sake of drama and timing etc. but others are just wierd - like their obsession with the GCMS, would it really confuse viewers that much is sometimes they used a LCMS or a NMR? You can also be more forgiving if there are good strong stories and compelling characters to watch, which to be honest I am finding a bit hit and miss at the moment.

Thanks for the welcome back, Top. :)

I have kept watching the show and I've been lurking around here to see what everyone's take on the episodes are.

I think Flack's story might have been more of a focus if the murder mystery wasn't so extreme: Potential Pedophile murdered then chopped to bits with a chainsaw with said parts being wrapped in wrapping paper and stuffed in dumpsters is something that really grabs your attention.

As great a character as Flack is, it just isn't as attention grabbing and in fact the teaser and time leap backward don't really seem to fit into this.

It would have been better if they were already convinced that this kid truly was the main guilty party in the coach's murder, that way that case would have already been solved, and thus we could focus our attention on getting Flack out of hot water. And as (I think) Top pointed out, it would help if this suspect had been more of an out-of-control or arrogant type that would have pushed Flack's buttons, thus making it at least slightly easier to create doubt.

The girls have not been very visible lately, and this is quite a shame.

Fay--->The Girls have been sorely missed :lol::lol::lol: Give Mac a curly wig and you will have the same result as Stella with those horrendous grey jackets:eek::lol:

Ok probably im nuts (i know i am :D ) but i think the story was told from Don's POV. So the only thing he needed to do was to wait the result to be clear up
Because *we* knew he couldn't do that, so the episode showed how the investigation was driven. They didn't pretend to create "tension" or anything like. They only showed how Don was cleared up

I don't know if i could explain myself (my English sucks!)

Debbie :)

I think I'm in the minority. From all the posts I've read about people not liking it, I actually did.
It reminded me of a Vegas episode and I started out watching CSI LV first before I found NY.

The things I liked were...

That Mac told Danny to use 'old school' (or something like that, I actually think Mac used the word organic but I could be wrong) methods of finding the splinters that were found on the roof. In Vegas they don't have all the high-tech gadgets as NY or Miami so they do things more 'old school' and I appreciate that.

The second was that as much as I love Mac, it's nice to see someone else in the 'hot seat' as it were other than him. Eddie Cahill was fantastic. He portrayed a cop under pressure so well it was incredible. Everything from dealing with IAB to Angell's inquiry as to who leaked that they were seeing each other. He told her exactly what he should have, that he had more important things to worry about than precinct gossip. << good for him. I like Flack and Angell but their storyline doesn't have to dominate. It's more fun to watch them flirt :D

There were no Danny/Lindsay moments, I don't think they had a scene between them I actually liked her and Stella together. Lindsay is better when she is with Stella I have noticed. Stella's professionalism rubs off on her it seems.

I also noticed there weren't as many high-tech things. I have to say the scene with Sid taking off the victims first layer of skin on his hand was very similar to previous seasons in Vegas. I think it was Grissom who did something similar.

I know I keep drawing similarities between Vegas and NY and this is the NY thread but I have to say one of the things that was turning me off of NY was all the high tech stuff. It was almost too much. A data base for this, a data base for that. I was really starting to loose interest in the show. Too much stuff for my little brain to handle. :eek: :wtf:

But this episode was different. It had a different feel to it. More like it was in earlier seasons. I don't know all the writers yet, but whoever wrote this one, I hope they write another. It was GREAT!

Overall grade: A-

I enjoyed this episode very much. I gave it an A. I thought Don was brilliant in this episode and I also loved the fact that Stella and Lindsey got to work together, we don't see that often but they do work well.

i enjoyed this episode very very much. i was so glad that Flack was focused on and that some insight was given on him through the other characters.

Angell was awesome in her scenes. her character just gets better and better every time she's on the show. loved how she kept her cool in the IAB scene. Angell is one chick i would not mess with.

the end scene with Mac and Flack was very well done. i like how Mac never really pulls the "i'm the boss" card unless he needs to, he's always there for his team.

i found the story to be sad. the boys that sent the pic out had no respect and were totally not thinking how awful that kind of accusation is. i felt bad how everyone thought the coach sent the pics and how the wife was so upset.

i was a little mad that Danny didn't even ask if Flack was ok (if he did i don't remember). Flack was there for him when he was in trouble and Danny was nowhere to be seen around Flack or even calling to see if he was ok.

i liked that Stella and Lindsay worked together, it was a good change.

overall i gave this ep an A. it was a bit dull but good. i have a feeling it was like this b/c there's going to be a lot more fast paced eps coming soon.... hopefully.

Well, overall, I liked it, too. It wasn’t perfect and wasn’t quite what I expected based on spoilers, but still, I thought it was a solid, above average episode.

Despite the icky dismemberment element, the case itself was interesting. Yeah, it seemed obvious that the wrestlers were involved somehow, but there were enough uncertainties, twists and turns to keep me guessing until the end. And for once, I found myself following the case and evidence right along with the CSI’s instead of figuring out whodunit before they did.

The writers probably could’ve left out the subplot with the wife in order to devote more time to Flack’s situation. On the other hand, seeing the impact the coach’s death and false accusations had on his wife did add to the sense of tragedy. And the actress who played the wife did a good job with only a few scenes to work with.

I agree they could’ve done a better job with Flack’s storyline, though. It was weird (and a bit contrived) that IAB went after Flack so quickly, especially since evidence like the tox results and locker search apparently hadn’t been completed. And I agree their zeal would’ve made more sense (and been more interesting) if one of the agents had some type of personal grudge against Flack. That said, I thought the episode was still a good vehicle for showcasing certain elements of Flack’s character, and we did get a glimpse of angry, indignant Flack along with a quieter, more resigned version.

I think I had a different take on why Flack was sitting at his desk working crossword puzzles, and I actually saw it as a positive for his temperament and character. To me it seemed like Flack was just trying to do the right thing and follow the rules -- giving those involved a chance to resolve the situation hopefully in his favor. It’s actually an interesting contrast to what we’ve seen from Danny and even Mac in similar situations. So, to some degree, it made me see Flack as the more grounded, stable one because he didn’t come across quite as emotional or temperamental as Danny nor as egotistical and stubborn as Mac has, at times.

I didn’t have a problem with the Flack/Angell discussion either – it seemed fairly realistic. I could see Angell being a bit rattled by discovering that IAB (of all people) knows about the relationship and wanting to bring it up with Flack ASAP. Sure, it was the wrong time and place to have that discussion, and Flack told her so. What I like is that Angell didn’t pout or get into a snit about Flack’s comment. Instead, she seemed to acknowledge what he said with a return comment and small smile before going on her way. I guess it remains to be seen whether there will be any lingering fallout from the discussion, but my initial impression was that Angell realized she has slipped up and was trying to be mature about the whole thing. Overall, I’m ok with how they’re handling the relationship so far -- it’s still staying mainly in the background and not overshadowing their work interactions.

Other random thoughts about the episode:

The Mr. Potato Head conversation was a bit tacky, especially since the coach turned out to be an innocent victim. But gotta admit I laughed at a few of Danny’s quips like the one about Christmas with the in-laws. The expression on Hawkes’ face just made me giggle for some reason.

Aww…I really like how Stella and Mac showed their support for Flack in different ways – Stella with the hug and kiss and Mac inviting him to watch a hockey game. Love the little family moments. It’s odd that there wasn't a similar type of scene with Danny, but now that I think about it, have the two of them had any personal conversations this season? Too bad that some of the friendships seem to be getting shortchanged this season.

Re: Lindsay and the widow….I thought the scene at the end with the roses was a nice touch, and I can understand the writers wanting to give Lindsay material to bring out different elements of her personality like empathy. But one of the issues seems to be that Lindsay /AB has a neutral, almost stoic type of facial expression, which does not lend itself easily to conveying certain emotions. Not trying to bash the character – there may not be a consistent pattern to it…it just seems more noticeable to me when she is in scenes with some of the more expressive actors like MK or EC.

Grade for this episode = B.

No new episodes for two weeks? :(

Last edited:
Back