Grade 'People With Money'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 20, 2006.

1. jazzfan

jazzfan CSI Level Two

I gave it an A-. All in all a good episode. The cases were interesting. The new characters have potential.

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I noticed that, too, especially when she called both of the guys by their last names. I get the feeling she's a pretty tough, capable character, and yes, maybe something of a tomboy. I hope she's back soon!

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

It was a reference to Stealing Home and his threesome story, right?

4. pandi

pandi Witness

it was a good episode, but i felt like they were holding back with the exception of the mac/peyton romance. there's always next week.

5. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

I figured it was about time I joined the board instead of continuously lurking for reviews and tidbits of info. here and there. Lol, so hello everyone, it’s nice to meet you all.

But concerning CSI: NY’s season premiere, I ended up giving it a solid B.
    While overall a rather solid episode (compared to some of the others the writers have given us), it had a few things that I wasn’t particularly fond of.

I think I was mainly disappointed by the premiere in that this was their chance to shine in a fairly strong lineup of promising shows. With as many people as were supposedly watching during the September 18th – September 22nd week, I felt the episode was pretty average. There was nothing entirely memorable about it except the weird bungee sex where more often than not you end up thinking, “How exactly does one proceed to have sex and not hurt something the moment that rope go taut for the first time?” or “Are you serious? People actually do that? How do you even broach that topic with your partner?” I personally wish the writers would return to where the crimes aren’t so repeatedly outlandish. Some of the more solid episodes in my opinion were ones that didn’t require eccentric exhibitionists or rollerblading divas. But I felt that even with the season premiere showing the wild lifestyle of a New York socialite and individuals who enjoyed a good romp while plunging to potential death, it was a tad bit boring. Like with all shows during premiere week, I felt they had a chance to gain more of an audience and fell short. Granted CSI: NY did well in terms of ratings (and I can’t quite recall who they’re going up against, if anyone, on the 10 p.m. timeslot), but I’ll be interested to see how they do next week. Hopefully the next episode has as much adrenaline as they seem to be promising.

I also felt that Flack’s wounds were pretty much disregarded. With Flack’s injury being their largest (and most memorable tie) between the finale and season three’s premiere – it was sort of brushed off. I know time passed since the accident (for some reason six months is ringing a bell. I’m not sure if that’s from another show with an injury – Brass’s recovery maybe? or if it was read somewhere or heard somewhere concerning CSI: NY), but it seemed like an idea that the writers thought to go with…and in the end decided against it, but needed to somehow tie in corners. Don’t get me wrong though, I thought the conversation between Flack/Stella/Lindsay and his ‘war wounds’ was downright adorable.

The approach to Peyton and Mac’s relationship put me off as well. As a character, I always saw Mac as someone who had a very difficult time letting go of his wife. Even three years after 9/11, he still proceeded to wear his wedding ring and politely rebuff any of Stella’s remarks that he ought to consider moving on. This transition for him seemed to move at a very slow and uncertain pace. He was reluctant to even during S1 to merely go out and have a drink with the woman from the café (I forgot the name of the episode. It’s the one where Mac was in the middle of the gunfire and would up saving one of the victims’ lives). I don’t know if I missed any of this transition during S2 (I had to watch episodes out of order), but it was a surprise for me to see S3’s opening scene in bed with another woman. Exactly how much time passed between S2 and S3? I apparently missed something and he’s now relatively comfortable with this woman (his only hang-up thus far seems more work related then the sudden ability to completely move on). The relationship just seemed to pop up out of nowhere and the writers appear to be tossing in clunky lines (as Faylinn put it) to give it (and Peyton’s character) some back-story.

But is it odd for me to say that I was slightly disappointed that she worked with Mac? Not because of the whole ethical ordeal of mixing a professional and personal life together, but simply because it seems cliché? I mean the writers are already supposedly toying with the idea of Danny and Lindsay (which I’m also very interested to see how Mac handles that since he’s in the same position and isn’t exactly comfortable with the idea. So will he be a hypocrite and tell them to knock it off – which don’t let Drama Queen!Danny catch wind of or approve of it so long as it stays out of the office?), so why couldn’t he have met a nice woman at his jazz club or something? I mean just to show that the CSIs are capable of picking up normal significant others without them being psychotic (aka Frankie) or ‘unreasonably demanding’ (aka the woman Danny bemoaned about to Hawkes).

I’m sure I have other complaints, but it’s six in the morning and I can’t recall anything else. It’ll probably crop up later once I post this, lol.

Though onto some brighter notes, I’m impressed by the writers’ abilities to tone down the outrageous puns. I mean while they’re sometimes amusing…some of them are painful too swallow. I also agree with the lot of you who thought Hammerback and Hawkes’ conversation was the highlight of the night. It was such a ‘moment’ between colleagues that it made me wonder how many of those weird stories Hawkes was forced to endure while working with Hammerback in the morgue. The snippet between Danny and Adam amused me as well, and I hope their rapport continues to build – I wouldn’t mind seeing more quirky dynamics between Hammerback, Hawkes, Danny and Adam.

I apologize for this blurp being totally incoherent. It’s early in the morning and while not the greatest of impressions I would care to make, my English hasn’t quite caught up with the rest of my brain yet. :lol:

6. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

The thing is though, they wouldn't be in same position.
    Peyton works for the M.E.'s office, right? While Mac would probably be senior to her in the PD, I don't think he has any jurisdiction over the M.E.'s office, so he's not her boss or anything. And while they would work together on the same crime, it still wouldn't be the same as Danny/Lindsey hooking up, because D/L do work on the same team in the same department.
    So IMO, it wouldn't be hypocritical for Mac to disaprove of D/L...if it happens.

7. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I agree with you, Ceindreadh, I don't think it would be quite the same situation, either. And Mac/Peyton knew eachother & started dating while she was still working in the private sector supposedly, and neither had any idea initially (I'm guessing) that Peyton would end up in the lab so quickly, working with Mac. It also has already shown Mac having serious misgivings about working with the woman he's dating, even though he's not her Boss and they're not in the same department. It's anyone's guess at this point how he'll react to a possible D/L hookup - if indeed there will ever be any hookup to react to - but if he has some initial misgivings, I don't think it would be hypocritical of him. He'd be looking out for the integrity of the lab, first and foremost.

8. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

9. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

I gave the episode a solid A. There were a lot of things about it I really liked. They made some really humorous references to Season 2, and I definitely like the fact that we're seeing the background cast settle some: Hammerback and Adam remain ( refeshingly, as NY rotates the supporting cast ALL THE TIME ) in their spots, and I'm looking forward to more airtime for Adam.

I also liked both Peyton and Angell -- however, Angell needs to be fleshed out more before I completely abandon my thoughts that she's Vanessa 2.0.

Some things I don't/didn't like:

Peyton and Mac together for a year? Sorry, but there's no way I believe that. It's not in his character, it's against his work ethic, and I don't like the opening scene between the two of them. NOT SUBTLE AT ALL, even in the slightest way.

So Flack is now 100% better? Sorry, but the last time I saw him, he was in a coma. Didn't take him long to heal up, did it? What happened to him clinging to his life?

Lindsay's...Suspect Thing. I thought it was a pointless re-hash of where she was at the beginning of Season 2, and I don't like that they had her acting like something of a rookie all over again. I'm not her biggest fan, but even I thought they were backtracking with her character.

The B-Case! It was definitely different, but why do all the NY cases have to be so...so...out-of-the-ordinary. Let's face it, not every murder in New York City is so odd. And we had to fill in a lot of blanks -- I want the science to be tight on a show involving forensics, I don't just want to see Danny making eyes at every girl he sees or Mac being such a stone-cold, bad-ass ex-Marine.

But overall, I enjoyed more than I didn't like, and I think they could do some really interesting things with this beginning. Also, I'm very definitely glad it's back!

10. DistractedlyHere

DistractedlyHere Victim

I was one of the Aiden 2.0 posters. I do think she's a bit Aidenish. But that doesn't mean I don't like her. Aiden has a lot of fans, perhaps it is the way of keeping that charcter spirit alive depiste S2.