Grade 'One Wedding and a Funeral'

ThisIsMe said:
Pretty good episode. Watched it right after Criminal Minds, which I think topped it tonight, but still...

Loved Adam!! I hate puzzles too, man! I bought my dad one of those 3D ones of the CN Tower because he loves them, but I get frustrated way to easily with them! :lol: I found the whole puzzle case interesting and how it tied back to Mac was pretty cool. Now, did I miss a part where they said it was a custom made puzzle, or did Mac's life just happen to unfold at all the major NYC landmarks?

The wedding case was alright. Definately had a lot going on...Gotta love Sid, Danny, and Hawkes with the cell phone in the gut and the discovery of the bubble wrap and packing peanuts! :)

I'll agree, I think Criminal Minds did trump it, but then again I only woke up halfway through the show so missed the beginning, end was pretty good though.

I feel like I missed bits of the CSI episode though, like I'm zooming through to the good parts like I usually do. :D grr to thanksgiving but I don't remember it saying anything about custom made. Most I remember is that the company that made them closed down six years ago and peices were taken out of the buildings that were important to Mac's life.

I'm completely confused by the whole puzzle business. I got the gist of it, but the small business I'm all wah?

OK, I can't really grade the episode yet as I haven't seen it all yet, but I did manage to catch about 20 minutes of it...and what a 20 minutes it was! :lol:

I don't really like puzzles, but the 3D landscape thing was totally cool, so were the camera shots when they were fuming it. It was also completely ridiculous. Unless I missed an important part where some of these things were explained I'm awfully confused by the entire puzzle.

Is it to scale, Adam says yes, although the fact that one building isn't to scale makes is strange if it was just a puzzle made by some random company. Maybe years ago the 333 guy bought different scale 3D puzzles of New York and Chicago just for this moment. :lol: And how did he know the building that Mac proposed on? It's not really the kind of information that many people would know, he doesn't seem to have mentioned this to his colleagues before so alarm bells should be ringing for Mac about now... Mac really is very slow, everything is always about him, silly Stella for thinking it might be about her. :p So Mac decided to mostly go it alone dealing with his stalker, even though I didn't really expect him to have told Adam or Lindsay, I was still somehow surprised that there was still people in the lab who didn't know Mac was being stalked! So once again we had to sit through Mac's 'when I was in London' speech. :lol: At that point I actually laughed out loud...and then I shook my head and thought 'please make it stop'. :rolleyes: It was all a very over elaborate way to get him to go to Chicago. :lol:

Other bits of the episode that I saw looked pretty good. I love Danny and Flack scenes! Flack's snark and Danny's demeanor always makes for good television. :D Lots of Adam in this one too, which made me happy. I can't wait to actually watch the entire episode, although I'm not sure I can sit through Mac's London speech again, it really does grate on me that much. :p

The more I think about it the more it's like 333 guy made that puzzle, because why would those little knock out pieces still be in there? If I got myself a puzzle, and jesus when those 3d puzzles first came out I wanted one so badly. I'd've been pretty angry to have those screwing me up.

So maybe it's subtle background on Mr. 333 stalker. Worked in the company somehow and made that in secret, might explain the crap load of pieces that need punched out, if it was manufactured to be sold it'd be on some kind of assembly line and checked out to make sure it was good for sell.

Then again maybe when it was in a box it had directions that said knock out said pieces, they don't go. I never did get a 3d puzzle :( but why would they still be there if it was built and had blood. It didn't show blood on both sides of the puzzle pieces...did it?

I'm stepping away from the puzzle now.

^^ But didn't they say the puzzle had been built before and then the person took out the pieces that were missing then placed it back in the bag and re-sealed it?

Yeah, *but is confused* the impression the blood spray gave me was that it had already been built. At least the first half...

and if that's just mostly the run of the mill puzzle sac and you only get half... mean people.

Just somethings not sitting right about it being one out of a couple of thousand sets. Because of the blood spray and the little x's, and then the tower not being the right size.

I liked it a lot, probably because I love jigsaws although I haven't tried a 3D one yet.

At least we had plenty of Adam to make up for his invisible role last week.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this story arc.

This gets a A purely for Sid's "Dead Ringer" line :D

It was an okay episode for me. Not really outstanding but not bad either. The wedding storyline didn’t really get my attention although there were a few funny moments.
The whole puzzle-333-storyline seemed to be a little bit far fetched. All the calls, the bloody t-shirt and the three! puzzles only to get Mac to Chicago… There must have been easier ways…

The episode definitely had some highlights though…

I loved Adam! He got lots of screen time and I loved every second. His frustration when he tried to put together the first puzzle was great and AJ managed to display that without a single word!
I liked the scene when Adam went to Danny and offering him money to figure out was his trace is. They are both such nerds!

Flack’s line about 'talking about cold feet' or something like that felt recycled! He can do better than that. I loved when he told Hawkes that nobody had seen or heard anything when they were in the groom’s apartment. Flack really never has any luck with questioning witnesses… :lol:

Sid’s Cold Ringer joke was lame and Danny is probably the only person who would love about something like that.

Talking about Danny; is he the only one who didn’t know about the 333 caller yet? Should he again be the last one who will learn about it? And was he wearing Flack’s leather jacket from season one in the last interrogation scene? ;)

Stella went to creepy Drew not once but twice alone… :rolleyes:

I’ll give it a B+, this time again more for the character moments and lots of Adam screen time than for the storyline.

I give this episode a B+.

A wedding in Central Park would have been lovely. What had me laughing despite the seriousness of the situation was the part where the wedding guests were fighting all out while the String Quartet continued to play on as if nothing had happened…WTF? :lol:

Drew, WTF? Leaving those puzzle pieces on top of Stella’s truck! You idiot, of course she would call out the bomb squad to check the suspicious package! Oh, Stella, why oh why did you go to Drew’s office? I know you’re convinced he’s pursuing you with overwhelming vengeance but if you were really wary of his intentions you would have just made a phone call to him! Duh! And then making a return trip…Gah!

Oh Adam…Thank God you’re back! Missed you in the last episode even if you were credited as Special Guest Star. Adam was so adorable in this one! I was laughing when he was trying to put together the puzzle the first time around! And the way he reacted to the wedding gift, he was so adorably dorky! :lol: I loved that particular scene with Danny!

Yay! No D/L scene in this one! Lots of Flack/Danny interaction! Yay! I love how they tag team a witness or a suspect! Makes for a great show! :lol:

Flack…what can I say, love your snarky wit! Loved the first tie combo you were wearing but the second one was horrendous! :lol:

Case-wise, the one with the wedding was pretty boring. The groom was such an ass that he probably deserved getting killed. I know I may sound harsh but changing your wedding menu at the last minute! WTF? If I were the caterer I would go postal as well!

For the first time, the 333 case had me hooked! Although most of us know who the 333 stalker is already, I loved the concept of leaving the puzzle pieces to serve as clues and making it almost like a treasure hunt. I can’t wait until the next episode. At least then we get the conclusion to the 333 story line. Chicago, here we come! Oh yeah, we're already there! :lol:

I'm still deciding on the grade to give it but i really enjoyed it.

The wedding case i felt should have been longer the opening scene just for me felt to short I was enjoying the full on war.

The case was good but nothing exciting, I enjoyed the interaction between the characters better than i did the case and Sid's "dead ringer" line was classic i loved how both hawkes and danny were quite impressed by it.

Stella's story i enjoyed and its frustrating because the more i see Drew the more i think he is good looking but it then kicks in how clever he is.

I loved the puzzle and Adam's face throughout it was a picture of confusion mixed with somewhat pleased with himself when Mac saw it. And the deal with Danny was classic moment of the 2 of them.

I swear danny also got a tad carried away with the spatula.

The 333 storyline has finally got me a little interested before it was interesting but I was never satisfied always thought it still missed something but i liked how it came together and the end sequence in Chicago was different and nice to see. Knowing its Drew does also mean i'm less fussed on who it is but i'm interested to see where he comes to play in the episode next.

Overall was a good ep nothing spectactular and everyone was good no real bad performaces.

This its a B+/A-

So, last night was all about Mac. Again. Because no other CSI has ever pissed off a nutjob. And the speed with which Mac discerned that it was All About Him was demonstrative of either heinous writing or staggering narcissism. Were the buildings in the skyline misplaced to better illustrate that it was about Mac and not just a slavering cretin with a puzzle fetish? If so, that should have been noted, because a person unfamiliar with New York geography wouldn't pick up on the discrepancy without a nudge.

And everybody loses their Detecting merit badges this week. Poor Flack is 0 for 500 in pegging the killer, and Stella and Lindsay were made to look like incompetent twits by a pedophile. Wouldn't the fact that he was electronically monitored be noted in a background check? Wouldn't a check be standard on any person of interest? Surely Stella and Lindsay know how to run a check between the two of them. Then again, Stella has been sloppy with her protocol before(see "Heart of Glass"). Still, anal-retentive Lindsay should've run one simply as a means to retain the right to be unbearably smug.

Drew Bedford is still creepy.

Why can't psychos hellbent on revenge just knock on the door and shoot their quarry when they answer? Why concoct elaborate schemes that never work?

As for the case itself, it was sturdy, but it dragged in the middle. I began to suspect the caterer as soon as he said he had no motive, but when it was established that the victim had been engaged twice before, I thought the killer might be a jilted lover. As usual with wealthy victims, Stone was portrayed as an arrogant tool with no regard for anyone but himself, and I got the feeling-as did the caterer, alas-that Stone was toying with his old friend, making him dance like a puppet on string because he could. Given that, it's hardly surprising that the caterer snapped. Being told that your child's birthday doesn't matter because there will be others isn't just insulting, it's cruel. I couldn't resist a pang of sympathy for the killer even though I knew Danny was right.

Judging by the expression on Flack's face, neither could he, but I suspect Flack celebrated a lot of birthdays without his dad.

B-

Ninja1088 said:
Is drew the 333 guy?
The identity of the 333 stalker is a good question to ask in the spoiler thread. ;)

Random: How adorable was Adam when he was running his hands through his hair in frustration? ^_^

Let's definitely keep spoilers out of this thread, and all grading threads. That means no commentary like, "Gee, I wonder how Lindsay will react in two weeks when a bear tries to bite off her head?" or "If Hawkes is upset now, he's totally going to be pissed in that episode coming up where Adam steals his lunch!"

That being said, I think it's pretty obvious the 333 case is coming to a head, even if you didn't see the preview. Mac going to Chicago for a showdown is essentially an obvious cliffhanger for it. ;)

Anyway, onto the grading. I gave this one a B. The wedding case was entertaining enough, and kudos to the writer for not going for the obvious--it was the bride, one of the jilted girls or one of the feuding family members. But if the caterer left his son's party to go face off with Brett, why was Brett killed at 2am? I assum the kid's party was in the daytime, so that didn't make sense to me. :confused:

Adam was awesome in this ep! Seriously, talk about a thankless task--three puzzles to assemble!?!? I love how Lindsay didn't bother to help until Mac was involved and she could brownose the boss. :rolleyes:

I hope Danny didn't take that $25 from Adam. Poor Adam! :lol: That was a cute scene, though.

The puzzle stuff--ugh. I admit I'm tired of the 333 case, and haven't really been interested in it from the beginning, but watching the CSIs follow breadcrumbs around the city and put together puzzles is not exactly exciting viewing. And why must Stella be made to act so stupid, going to see Drew alone twice??? :rolleyes: She's smarter than that.

Mac bothered me in this ep, too. Wouldn't protocol--which he so readily throws in others' faces--have dictated he turn that shirt over for processing to another CSI? It's essentially a case--or a cold case, if the blood is old. Somehow, I bet he would have chewed Stella or Danny out for keeping something like that hidden. His sanctimoniousness is made all the more frustrating when he's a hypocrite about it. :rolleyes:

So I guess he's in Chicago now--hopefully the dots can finally be connected and we can all move on from this silly storyline.

LivingEnd said:
Talking about Danny; is he the only one who didn’t know about the 333 caller yet? Should he again be the last one who will learn about it?

If so, he's probably going to be pissed and hurt. Does Hawkes know?

And was he wearing Flack’s leather jacket from season one in the last interrogation scene? ;)

So that's where that went. :devil: ;)

Mac going to Chicago for a showdown is essentially an obvious cliffhanger for it.

it didn't even occur to me...i am a dumbass :lol:

I assume the kid's party was in the daytime, so that didn't make sense to me.

well, i thought maybe the kids party was in the evening, and he left for awhile to sort out the food, which took a long time. Then around like 2 am he snapped and killed him. They didn't mention how long he was with the groom before he killed him, did they?

Mac bothered me in this ep, too. Wouldn't protocol--which he so readily throws in others' faces--have dictated he turn that shirt over for processing to another CSI?

I always thought this was Mac's character flaw. I am glad that he is not perfect in every way, and it fits with the continuity from last season.

the puzzle thing was pretty interesting i found. I read someone's post about the episode had lots of mac drama, so when i watched it, i was confused for about 40 mins of it. Since I didn't know the puzzles were part of the 333 storyline, i didn't find the episode had tons of mac stuff, just the ending when it all came together.

For anyone interested in puzzles, those 3D ones are a blast. As soon as I saw those little foam backed pieces, I knew it was a 3D. I've worked may of them, from castles to a 3000 piece, 3 foot tall Big Ben. It took me 5 days to complete Big Ben and I consider myself very good at puzzles.

The puzzle similar to the one they worked is of the city of New York and IS available for those insane enough to tackle it, at 3141 pieces!

NOW you know why Adam looked so frustrated. :eek:

Back