Grade 'No Good Deed'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 25, 2009.

?

How would you grade No Good Deed?

1. A+

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. A

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Just as we do with the actors, let's avoid getting personal about the writers. It's okay to say that you don't like Veasey's writing/episodes/way she runs the show, but let's not imply she has the hots for one of the actors. Thanks!

Possibly--I hadn't thought to look at it that way. You bring up a good point.

The same thought crossed my mind, too. I know they're actors and they have to kiss other people for their jobs, but that does seem very personal.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I've never been involved in a fandom the way I'm involved with this one, so while several shows I've watched have dealt with pregnancies and written them in ("Criminal Minds" comes to mind), it's never really skeeved me out until now. I know they're pretending to be these people, but there's something about writing in Anna's actual pregnancy and seeing the characters pretend it's Danny and Lindsay's baby that wigs me out.

Anyway, I watched the episode with my mom earlier. When that scene came on, the following conversation took place:

Mom: ...is he talking to her stomach?
    Me: Yes. Wait for it...
    *Danny kisses her stomach*
    Mom: That made my a** want to suck a lemon.

:lol: Oh, I love my mama. :lol:

She also thought Adam was hilarious, especially his bird impression. :D

I caught Lindsay's "pulling rank" line this time around - say what you will, I think they should have picked a different line. 'Sorry, Adam, this is important' or 'Sorry, Adam, but I need to show this to Mac' or something - the 'pulling rank' line seems like an unnecessary dig. I often wonder why the writers don't notice the things we notice about what the character's say/do and how it might be perceived. It's not the first time I've considered a line and thought, "It would have been very easy for them to pick something different to say there."

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Another not-so-perfect episode, but I thought there was more good than bad, and it was fairly entertaining at times – mainly because of the character interactions. For the most part, the writers did a good job of including all the cast and mixing them together in interesting ways.

The case itself gets mixed reviews. Between the eyeball, ravaged corpse, and creepy birds, they really upped the “yuck” factor with this one… maybe because the case itself wasn’t that intriguing. From the minute he showed up, the “brother” was an obvious suspect, and after the wife was attacked and Stella asked for the elimination sample, I had a pretty good idea of what “twist” might be coming.

On the other hand, I thought the humor was relatively good in this one. Not everything was funny (e.g., Mac’s “Boom”), but there were several lines and scenes that made me laugh (in a good way). Flack, Danny, and Adam in particular had some funny moments.

The “dorky” side of Adam was very prevalent in this episode, but it didn’t strike me as overdone – maybe because we saw a very different side of Adam only last week. I do think Adam is getting more focus this season, and it's probably a good thing overall. The only time I’ve really found his scenes annoying is during that period when the writers seemed to be throwing him together with Stella quite often in an attempt to push the “crush” scenario.

Regarding the Mac/Ella storyline, the best thing about it in this episode was the resulting partnership/ friendship scenes between Mac and Stella, which were relatively scarce in the first part of the season. It’s nice to see that they still seem to know each other well and can even verbalize when they are stepping out of their normal roles. The role reversal stuff doesn’t really bother me here because I think that is part of the give and take of their relationship. But if it happens too often, the characters can start to lose their core identities.

Hmm…I'm one of those who saw closure of sorts in that last scene between Mac and Ella. Mac’s speech about his childhood friend was a little confusing, but ultimately, I think he was saying to Ella (and the audience) that although she might falter initially while trying to get her life back on track, she would be ok in the end.

I didn’t get any romantic vibes from the scene or any indication that Mac was planning to continue an active, ongoing relationship. He stood in the doorway while talking with some distance between them and said that she could call him if she needed anything, which suggests to me that he will be a resource when she needs help but isn’t planning to be a regular fixture in her life. The expresso trip at the end seemed like a way to show the two (especially Ella) behaving normally towards each other and also served as a bookend to the first scene with Mac, Stella and the eyeball .

Maybe I live in a land of denial on this one, but my impression is that the writers may be done with the psycho-stalker arc here. Basically, they have given us two different versions of Ella -- the last one in which she seemed to be on the path to recovery -- and they can just let it end here or perhaps take it in another direction down the road. If and when she shows up again (perhaps next season), she probably will have a new arc and involvement in some other case, similar to what we saw with Reed. Actually, it would be interesting if she and Reed both showed up at the same time next season, and we could see how they relate to each other when both are vying for Mac’s attention.

As for Mac’s odd behavior this season….One explanation is that certain aspects of these cases are making him realize that he’s lonely and wants to start connecting more closely with people again. And that feeling together with his “hero” personality is causing him to try to reach out to people – sometimes in surprising ways, like inviting his new boss on a coffee date and providing his would-be-stalker with attention.:rolleyes: Mac did sound and look a bit wistful when he made that comment to Stella about saving someone’s life being enough to see the beauty behind the beast (or whatever he said), and I think Stella picked up on that feeling, which led to their discussion about Ella. Of course, another possibility is that the changes in Mac are really a result of a little sloppy writing and inconsistent characterization….

Other random thoughts about this episode:

I agree that Lindsay's comment to Adam probably wasn't intended as a dig, but those really aren’t the words you'd typically expect to hear between work colleagues in that type of situation. Lindsay has been doing a lot of lab work lately, so maybe the writers did think this would be a shorthand way of reinforcing that she is a CSI rather than lab technician.

Danny reading comic books to the baby was a cute moment but had me cringing a bit because it seemed really inappropriate to have such a personal moment in the middle of the lab while one or the both of them were supposed to be working.

Overall, a solid, entertaining episode.

Grade = B

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yeah, they do have some horrible lines and that is definitely one of them. I don't think it would have been a good line coming from anyone. But saying that, I think it was made worse to make Lindsay say it. She's the second lowest person on the totem pole and she's the one they have bust Adam's chops? Really? :wtf: It just comes off as more "Lindsay is the 'special snowflake' of the lab." :rolleyes:

5. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Ah but sure it was Danny doing the reading. It would only have been deemed inappropriate if it had been Lindsey doing the personal moment thing.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:confused: But the person you're quoting mentioned that it was inappropriate of Danny to do be reading to the baby at work. Not sure what you're getting at here, but let's avoid making assumptions about what other people are posting...especially when they're not even correct.

7. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I don't understand why everyone found so OOC the "Boom" comment from Mac:confused:

He was talking to Lindsay and he made it on purpose because of it. He didn't have a "role reversal" with Danny.

well, at least that's how i felt it;)

Debbie:p

8. Kostas

Kostas Victim

i am greek and i can trasnlate what stella said. she said

A stupid bird "ruined" my cafe :lol:

9. Kostas

Kostas Victim

i am greek and i can trasnlate what stella said. she said

A stupid bird "ruined" my cafe

10. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Thanks so much! I was hoping someone could translate that for us!

Can I asked why you put "ruined" in quotes like that? Are you implying there's not an literal translation for what she actually said? Or something else?

11. Kostas

Kostas Victim

oh because i do not know if it is right to say
    you ruined my cafe...

here in greece there are some words that can be said but not in usa...

so there in usa is it right to say

you ruined my cafe?

12. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

That makes sense to me, but the words cafe and coffee are two different things in North American english. It would make more sense to someone from America to say "You ruined my coffee" since coffee is the drink, and cafe is the place you bought the coffee. But cafe and coffee sound so similar it's close enough for jazz. If you said that to someone I doubt they'd misunderstand. I don't think anyone would misunderstand you on the basis of pronounciation. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  13. Kostas

Kostas Victim

ok... csi rocks... i would like to send an email to the company that makes the episodes...

14. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Yeah, that's what I meant....JMHO, but I thought it was inappropriate for Danny to be reading to (and kissing) Lindsay's "tummy" in the middle of the lab when one or both were in the middle of work. In the work environments I've been in, most people who are married/related/involved actually try to minimize very personal interactions like this on the job because it tends to take away from the sense of professionalism of those involved.

Of course, CSI NY isn't the real world, so they tend to take license when needed with "rules" of the work environment. Regardless, it still seems odd to me because of how I see the real world.

From my POV, I think the "Boom" thing is starting to get a bit stale from overuse. Sometimes the writers on this show seem to take a cute element (e.g., the "Boom" phrase, Adam's crush on Stella, Lindsay's demonstrations) and run it into the ground until it is no longer fun or interesting.

I think "Boom" would be more interesting if it were just a catchphrase associated with Danny. Instead, they are trying to spread it around to other characters, and I just don't find it that humorous.

To me, Mac is a character with whom I associate scientific explanations or the occasional crisp one-liner. The "Boom" is a small thing but just one more thing that takes away from the core character, and in Mac's case, I think all the little things are starting to add up, imo....

15. csifangurl

csifangurl Hit and Run

Pretty good episode, not the best one, but still pretty good.

Lots of Flack in this one this week which is always good. :devil:

Love him asking Stella about the bird. And her replies. :guffaw:

Flack's comment to Mac after, "I prefer cream myself" :devil:

Then later when Danny and Flack went to question the landlord, Flack's "public ugly" comment was another highlight. Also loved Danny's response to the guy when he told them they were messed up. :lol:

Adam was as adorkable as ever. Just loved his bird impression. :guffaw: And his "Low man on totem pole's friend." *Hugs Adam*

Crazy Ella returns. Ugh. I'm not a big fan of this storyline. I don't honestly know what to think of this latest twist either. I don't like the idea of him trying to help her because honestly, isn't that what she wants? His attention? As Stella pointed out, she fabricated evidence!

I mean, doesn't it stand to reason that she's just luring him into whatever twisted thing she's planning? Trying to "Make Him Love Me" as she wrote. Afterall, she fooled him once. She could be fooling him again.

It was definately weird to see Stella being the voice of reason. Interesting though.

And despite the fact that I do not like the whole D/L thing, him reading the comic book to the baby was cute! Probably not entirely appropriate to be doing while they were both at work, but still, it was cute.

The case itself was mildly interesting, I did peg the brother as not actually being her brother.

Overall pretty good episode for the most part. I give it a B-.