Grade "Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 7, 2009.

?

How would you grade Lat 40 47'N/Long 73 58'W?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. A

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. B

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Oh Maya, how could you do this to me? You are evil! :lol::lol:
    Of course I remember :p

From now on, every time you ask me to clarify one of my posts, I'll address you to Fay and PerfectAnomaly because they said it ten times better. :lol:

We've discussed this before and while I agree that this new Lindsay is better and characters have to change, my problem is not the transition itself, but the smoothness and simplicity of it. As I've said before --I'm sure you'll find it ;)-- Lindsay has never reacted well to stressful situations and this is a extremely difficult one, and humans are creatures of habit, you don't change that much in such a short span of time under such adverse circumstances. You learn to adapt and learn to cope, which is what Lindsay is obviously doing, but you also internalize your fear and doubts and if you don't find a way to vent, you'll explode. Lindsay is good at bottling her feelings which is a really useful way to approach a crisis, but I don't think this is realistic. Four episode and she still seems like she could go on forever being this perky, positive and overall perfect human being.

That's why I said that I have the feeling that the writers gave up on her, first with the perfectly avoidable pregnancy plot and now with this character reboot. It's easier to have an accept a character like she is now, than try to write someone more flawed and conflicted. And no, by conflict I don't mean she has to be arguing with Danny every episode or threatening to leave him. Conflict means that she is entitled to have his own little meltdown and seek for support.

I'm going to give you an analogy, without citing names, because I don't know if it would be appropriate here. Lindsay reminds me of a young actress that married a certain A-list actor and became this perfect wife and mother. Gossip sites have dubbed her stepford [name] because she became this robotic version of herself. She only has words to describe how perfect her life/husband/family are and how much she loves them and how happy she is, regardless of the sacrifices she surely made, so bloggers poke fun at her because nobody talks as if they had this chip implanted that told her what to say. That's how I see Lindsay. She's just an impersonal, cold and --most of the time-- emotionless character.

Anyway, PerfectAnomaly is right, this isn't a Lindsay thread so I'd be more than happy to discuss this in detail somewhere else. I think this would make for a good "Why Lindsay Must Go" debate since this is another reason why I think the character is better being a full-time mom --not because I think women should take care of children while men work, just to clarify myself--.

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Okay, okay, I know it was over-the-top of me to quote the post :p:alienblush: (I think we might need to draw up some formal debate-rules on this board, because I wasn't even sure if I was allowed to do that) :lol:

And I do get where Faylinn and PerfectAnomaly are coming from in regards to Lindsay being a completely-changed character, because I can see how she might come off that way if her character had been interpreted one way before S6. But I also still feel my own argument stands, that Lindsay is NOT being written (or portrayed by AB) any differently than she's been written (or portrayed) before, and to date, no one has actually indicated where Lindsay's different-ness is coming from.

Believe me, I totally get "jump the shark" arguments. When Harry Potter's Ginny Weasley went from a shy weepy nobody to a sassy, sports-playing superstar overnight, I was right up there with everyone else who screamed about the author's jumping the shark. And if I saw it with Lindsay, I don't care how big a fan of hers I am, I'd be doing the exact same thing. But I have yet to see even one person point to something in Lindsay's recent behaviour that we've never seen from her before.

I find that Lindsay's never reacted well to situations that are painful to her. Not exactly the same here, like I pointed out in an earlier post. She's been more than willing to take on impossible huge tasks before ("Veritas"), and as fluctuating as her personality is, optimism and cheerfulness have been a part of it before. I totally get that Lindsay's not responding to the stress of this particular situation would be unrealistic, but you can't exactly have missed the part where Lindsay's a Mary Sue? ;) She's been unrealistic before.

But given that Danny's getting over his paralysis at the speed of lightning, I don't think the oversimplification of Lindsay's battles has squat to do with the writers giving up on her, or not feeling she's worth anything more than to be supportive of him. They're not delving into how either D or L's lives are affected by Danny's paralysis. They haven't bothered. They're focused on getting him out of the wheelchair ASAP, and given the singleminded-ness of the storyline, I can see how they'd find it most important that Lindsay is shown supporting him, rather than doing what she did in Season 4. In Season 4, Danny's arc lasted most of the season, and that's why Lindsay's side of things was shown. Here, we're barely four episodes in and Danny's walking. It's not about the conflict.

...:alienblush::lol:Feel clueless because I don't really keep up with star-gossip, so I have no clue who you're referring to... But I thought Lindsay clearly came across as emotional in last night's episode. And not just about Danny. Yeah, everyone has a right to their own opinion, but if her past moments of not being cold and impersonal/emotionless have gone unnoticed (or at least, not seen as a big enough deal to warrant a different label of the character), then it's not surprising when it gets weird because she's suddenly being all emotional. But that doesn't mean she's never been emotional before.

Not that I'd mind going elsewhere to discuss this, but I thought we were discussing Lindsay's character in this episode, and comparing it to past episodes...which seems fine for an episode thread.

3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Sorry, wrong thread. Delete this post please. *hides in embarrassment*

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009