Grade 'Death House'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 9, 2009.

?

How would you grade Death House?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i really liked this ep it was very entertaining and the historical aspect was really neat.

the puzzle they had to solve and what they had to do was so cool. i like to see when people have to solve puzzles b/c i do not have the brain for it haha. i really liked how it was set up to be from 80 years ago, how this man that long ago put all these contraptions together it was genius, sadistic but genius.

the booby traps were so cool. they weren't original but they were cool the way they fit together.

when the bookcase opened did anyone else think of the bookcase scene from "Young Frankenstein"? haha. Mel Brooks has hysterically destroyed many stories and things for me lol. i was also thinking of Clue with the whodunnit aspect and with what.

i was laughing when Danny, Mac, Stella, Mac, and Hawkes were all wincing when the clock was gearing up haha. i would be too, i'd be freaked out to go into the house

Haylen's gone!!!! if i expressed anymore happiness there would be some bad words involved haha. Adam looked really happy that she was leaving but at the same time he looked sad that he wasn't the one being suggested for the FBI

now i had to deduct some point from this ep... i had a few issues with the portrait and the way the furniture and the whole penthouse looked...

i am a student of Art History and the technique of concervation and preservation of works of art. there is no way that the painting of the owner of the house would look that good and no way the furniture and rest of the penthouse would look that good after 80 years of abandonment.

yes, heat can preserve things and the penthouse is probably really hot since it is so high up and no air conditioning but the only way things can stay preserved to almost original condition like what was shown in the house can only happen if the air is dry. NY is humid and moist, even with all the windows shut moisture still gets in. the painting of the home owner would have been crumbled and not be in good condition at all. the furniture would most likely be disentegrated to an extent. in order for old antique furniture to stay in its original state it has to be kept nicely and if it's stored it needs to be in a climate controlled place (which explains why some exhibit rooms in museums are warm and some are cool).

my specialty in Art History is paintings- mostly European paintings. the painting of the owner is too photographic. artists 80 years ago could make a painting look like a photograph (the technique is called trompe l'oeil= trick of the eye. look up After the Hunt by Willam M. Harnett or the Jesuit Church is Vienna) but it wasn't a widely done, that was left to the cameras to capture the realism. at the time Surrealism and Art Deco were very popular.

i was going all Indiana Jones with all the art and furniture saying that all that stuff should be but in a museum haha.

i will give a lot of credit to the props department on the show for their excellent sets and furniture. they really got the furniture and designs of the time right.

anyway.... sorry about the art history rant. i'm sure it was quite boring for most you guys, i just had to get all that out there

very good, interesting ep gave it an A-

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

This episode was like watching a live-action version of those tedious point-and-click PC mystery games like Myst. There was nothing inherently bad about it; it didn't, for instance, inspire the burning need to hurl rocks at my television, but there was remarkably little tension for what should've been a suspenseful locked-room mystery.

The whodunit, when, and why are solved three minutes in, and since neither the victim(s) nor the killer was explored in any detail, it was hard to be invested in the lame, post-Halloween spooktacular offered by an episode that would be more at home in the annals of Scooby Doo, Where Are You? than in the pantheon of CSI:NY canon. I love Scooby, mind you, am, in fact, a Doo fangirl, but not on my crime dramas.

If they were aiming for the creepy, oppressive, profoundly disturbing ambiance of Saw, then they missed that boat and landed face-first on the Goosebumps ferry. I realize that the nature of network TV and its hand-wringing obsession with PG-13 fare limited the scope of what could be done, but they could have done better in terms of suspense. Even though Hawkes was in danger, I never feared for him because the walls never got that close. Had Mac or Stella been pounding and shouting along with him, I might've worried, but Mac nonchalantly shoves a kit between the walls, and the day, it is saved. Oh, boy. Nor was Hawkes particularly ruffled by nearly becoming a Sexpot smoosh inside the walls of Jigsaw PG's funhouse. And really, if the house is boobytrapped from wall to wall, Mac and the gang should've known better than to move anything. I guess tidy Sheldon couldn't stop himself.

And Flack. The Disappearing Flack. He's with Mac and Stella to witness the Angel Wings of Spiky Death, but has disappeared by the time Stella starts mucking with the blank book and the vases? Presumably, he'd ventured outside to canvass the other tenants, but since no one saw him leave, I spent several anxious, befuddled minutes wondering if he'd pulled a Daphne, stepped on a trapdoor, and been gobbled up by the killer house like a crunchy, NYPD peanut cluster. Despite the fact that they're tramping through a spacious penthouse with death in every wall, no one wonders where he is. Mac and Stella just pat themselves on the backs for solving the puzzle and proceed to the next one with nary a backward glance and without telling anyone where they're going. I guess Mac knew the house had a self-righteous tightass allergy and wouldn't dare touch him.

The Haylen to the FBI subplot was...are you kidding me? She goes from crime-scene cleanup to working with the FBI forensics teams? Based on? Two clues from New York crime scenes? Her ability to annoy everyone with whom she comes in contact? Her l33t grant-writing fu? Did Mac truly believe she was a better candidate for the FBI than the invaluable Adam Ross, or was he merely seizing an opportunity to be rid of a smug pest? I realize that the writers were using the FBI ploy to get rid of Haylen, but a more credible scenario would've been to have her realize she wasn't yet ready for lab work. Sending her to a position with the FBI merely solidifies her status as a teeth-gnashing, eye-gouging, ass-clenching Mary Sue. I'm beginning to wonder if the writers are taking advice from tween fanfiction writers.

Not horrendous, but a bizarre, disjointed addition to the show's catalogue. C.

Horrendous would be the promo for next week, which hints at an hour of treacly, maudlin, feel-good glurge. Oh, joy. If it weren't for the promise of Flack in a Christmas outfit, I'm not sure I'd bother to watch, as I've no desire to see the crew of CSI:NY play It's Christmas, Charlie Brown. Bleagh.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Agreed. They even called it "A Very Special" episode. :rolleyes: I don't even think Flack and Danny dressed as elves can get me to watch.

4. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Boring. Poorly written. Worst episode of the show ever.
    F.

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: I think it's the latter. :)

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

^^Screw the Feds - would Mac really give Adam up to anybody else after fighting to keep him in the lab in the first place? :D

(That's how I'm looking at it, anyway. Screw a more ~prestigious~ job. Adam belongs in the lab with Mac's team. End of story. :adore:)

7. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Since I've hated almost every episode this season, I can't say anything bad about this one. It wasn't offensive, it wasn't good but it wasn't bad either. It was just meh, but at least it didn't make me hate the writers for the character assassination they've been doing since the season started. I rolled my eyes more times than I can count at the Indiana Jones traps, and even more at Mac's powers of deduction, but at least I didn't want to cry every time Danny was on screen and I remembered how good he used to be, so I guess it's an improvement. :confused:

I'm glad Haylen is not coming back. The character was uninteresting and uninspiring and the actress was pretty bland. I'm happy that the writers finally understood that Haylen was a mistake, we don't need more characters since they are barely developing anyone this season. Even if the actress was good, it wasn't the right time to add another character that would obviously need some development. Now I hope the writers will be trying to make an effort until the end of the season to redeem themselves for this disastrous first half. Getting rid of Haylen was a positive step in that direction.

And about Lindsay, while I'm glad she's been quite MIA this season, I'm fearing the worst. I'm not reading spoilers because I don't want to confirm my fears, but I think we're headed to a Dramatic!Lindsay end of season and that would definitely be the nail in the coffin for me. Lindsay's absence could only mean that Anna is renegotiating her contract--yeah, I wish :rolleyes:-- or that the writers are saving the best for the last :scream:.
    Since I sincerely doubt we would ever see a D/L divorce and I guess if Anna's contract was up there would be more rumors of her character dying, the only possible option is giving Lindsay the dramatic storyline that was supposed to be Haylen's. And that would be the last thing I'd want to watch.

Soooo, I gave it a C, it wasn't really worse than Dead Reckoning and I gave that episode a B+ if I remember correctly, but I've lost my patience and the last hopes I had for a decent season, so I highly doubt I'll be giving higher grades than C until the end.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Loved it A+:thumbsup: A pleasent surprise from the usual vic and perp drama. All of the guessing and clues made for a different entertainment. And as far as Lindsey she is only part time now remember? GFD? She was probably home burping Lucy. And the Danny "Hair comparison" That was great!!!:guffaw:Faylinn right? Although I was really enjoying the "Dark Flack" I was glad to see Snarky funny Don back he is just mmmm mmm good:)
    And Sid what can I say, dont you just love the guy? Adam is becoming a bit "overplayed" after sleeping with Stella its hard too fall for the nerdy, goofy, dorky,... what? What would you call him? A young love struck puppy dog pining over Stella scooting across the rug with Haylen worms up his ass? I like Adam dont get me wrong but:wtf:? Haylen did not bother me, so whatever. All in all great ep good to see a lighter side of CSI NY.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i agree too. although the mac/stella interaction looks promising, i get enough xmas shoved down my throat as it is without them getting in on the act!

10. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

For the most part I liked this episode. Flack's reactions were priceless and Stella's "Ladies first" comment was great. I even liked the Stella/Mac handholding, although that was a big surprise. And I loved "creepy" Sid. I didn't like Adam as a whiner. I hope this was a one-shot deal because dorky is good but whiny is bad.

I love old-fashioned puzzle mysteries and this ep had the potential for something special, but they blew it. Where to start? How did the real estate guy get into the penthouse through a skylight? What was he, Spiderman, climbing up the side of the building carrying a ladder yet? (I'm sure I saw a blue ladder there.) And then his girlfriend got in the same way? Yeah, right. I can see him getting stuck in the burn/compactor room, but how in blazes did she get into the tank?

Mac and Stella find her in the tank and are able to poke through the wall enough to put a tiny camera inside but then they spend time moving furniture etc. What someone would have really done is call the fire department. They have power saws and pike poles and would open up that wall in minutes. I realize they did it for the story but, come on.

And then there is the original murder. The penthouse owner spends a ton of money to booby-trap his already very expensive home, when he could have just invited the guy over and shot him. Then he leaves the body there and basically writes off the entire property. I know he was rich, but this makes him either stupid or looney-tunes. It's not that hard to get rid of a body now and was probably even easier back then.

I still enjoyed the show but it was definitely alternate reality.

11. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Was talking about the girl in the water at dinner with family and someone said they thought she was in a room that filled up with the water instead of somehow ending up in a tank.

What do you think? Was the leak in the apartment downstairs from the water filling up a booby-trapped room? It's something I didn't consider because I figured if the water was piped in from a cistern to a room it would become oxygenated and Danny and Adam said it was oxygen depleted.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^ETA: I assumed the room was booby-trapped, yeah, but that totally should have been explained better. We still don't really know how she got in there, since I assume she wasn't fiddling with the grandfather clock.

I can't believe I forgot to comment on this! :lol: My eyes, my eyes! :lol: But it's so true. Something decidedly Not Good is going on with Danny's hair.

The part with them dressed as elves makes me cringe actually. Talk about goofy cheese! I do like the Train song, though. :eek: I hope the episode won't be too saccharine.

13. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Well, he did get rid of most of the facial fur so maybe the hair will be next. I really don't prefer what is going on with his hair, but would agree that anything is better than treasure troll Danny.

14. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Dear fellow fan's, Last nights episode sucked. I have been disappointed by the whole season so far. The stories are a joke. they keep changing directions every week.
    I'am glad that Haylen is gone, but must say the way they:confused: had Adam acting was just stupid. And where is Lindsey? I understand that once in awhile an actor will miss a week, but Lindsey seemes to be out a lot this season.
    The story lines are hit and miss. They start with one and just drop it with no explantion. Well I think I figured it out. It seems like they have to many writers, and each one gets his or her turn each week. Apperently the writers are not talking with each other and that is why everything is so twilight zone this season.:confused: It seems as though they have gotten away from solving crimes and more into the lives of the team, the problem is there is no contunity here.
    In the beginning Mac was just in the background now he is back in front again. I have nothing against him other than he seems to know everything in the world. This is a great feat since he never went to college. He went into the marines and from there to the NYPD.
    Stella slept with Adam, Said it was a mistake never do again, yet they seem to still have something going on. At the end of Mattenhenge when she made her toast she said "Hold on to the ones' we love" made eye contact with him raised her glass to him so it appeaed that something is going on.
    I'am so confused this season. Maybe the writers should get together as a team and all write for the same show. My suggestion's are Adam and Stella together,:adore: but not a major story. Let the viewers know but not the people they work with. ;) Get back to solving crimes. Let's see some science again. :)

15. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Actually, since he was an officer (a Major at that), he would have had to have a college degree. ;)