Grade 'Death House'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 9, 2009.

?

How would you grade Death House?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. B+

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

Cool episode. A :thumbsup:

The mummy looks like Sid. I remember the man loves mummies. He was so thrilled when he had first mummy with Payton in season 3, and this time it looks exactly like him! But when did Sid get the skull(not to mention that it's immaculately clean!) out of the mummy? :lol:

I think I heard Stella calling Adam 'Ross' at least twice. I think this is new. Could that mean something for them?

Lindsay wasn't there. Where is she? It's only tenth episode of this season and she missed three times. Is she becoming a recurring character or something?

2. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

So far so good.

Love the SMacked looks :D
    And Flack's dun-dun-dun was too funny:guffaw:

Eeeeeck the ax thingy....man....:eek:
    How can she say she's fine she almost got chopped in half :wtf:

I wonder who would take so much time to build a house like that. Whoever did that must really love games and killing.

Adam :guffaw::guffaw: you big dork!

Oh I love riddles :eek:
    Teee-heeee love the look Stella gives him when she says "I can do better than that"

*happy sigh*
    "Careful Stella!" :thumbsup:

Woooooooh secret passage behind the bookcase :eek:
    LMBO "I'll shoot you if you say ladies first" :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Teee-heeee another SMacked moment, *grins like an idiot*

Scaaaary...burnt flesh :wtf:

Oh crap Sheldon! Don't you as a CSI know that do not touch anything in the death house!:rolleyes:

Man this is scary!
    OMG poor woman!

Oh cool the drawer stairs :cool:

Love the smiles they exchange :adore:

Teee.heeee the slow motion is smoking hot! :devil:

Loved it! Something completely different and yet so fascinating
    A+

3. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

Finally, an episode I've truly enjoyed through and through. Some of the traps were hard to believe -how did that woman end up in the water tank?!-, but cool anyway. The penthouse of doom was full of awesome, yes!:devil:

Where did Lindsay go? I'm not crying because she's gone again, but it felt weird.

No more Haylen? Hooray!

A-

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Ding, Dong. Haylen's gone! Thank God. But did they have to turn Adam into an idiot in order to show she's not coming back? No. Did they have to have Danny assume he was acting like an idiot because he had a "crush" on Haylen? No. Adam's slept with Stella, so there's no way he's gonna be pining over Lab Tech Skipper who was also after his job. Yes Adam is quirky and AJ is hilarious, but that shouldn't make him the go-to moron for a cheap laugh. Especially when all they're doing is shoving a not needed explanation for Haylen's exit into the episode. Kendall just disappeared and Haylen could have too.

And I have to say TPTB are making a huge mistake not following up on Adam/Stella. The one scene they had together oozed chemistry and it would be something fun and different instead of the predictable, boringness they've done with DL.

No Lindsay was a plus because the team always functions as a solid, fun, dynamic team when she's not there. Their chemistry is always thrown off when she's in the mix.

The episode was pretty boring. Yeah, the puzzles were kind of fun, and there were some great lines, but overall it was like who cares?

C-

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:guffaw: I thought that too! I thought I was the only one! :lol:

She called him "Adam Ross" once during the ep.

The drawer-stairs was kind of cool. As for the angels, I'm assuming the one on the ceiling was supposed to be Michael and the one on the floor (the fallen one) was supposed to be Lucifer? A stupid thought I had was "Man the fallen angel is ripped!" :lol:

Flack: I'll remember to thank him before I throw his ass in jail. :lol:

That woman from the FBI looks kind of like an older version of Tara Price (last year's Miami M.E.).

:lol: at Adam repeatedly saying "wow really?" I thought it was cute. I think he was in shock. Inside he was probably saying "thank God she's leaving and she won't be here to move my stuff around in the lab anymore". :lol: Honestly, I think that bothered him more than anything else due to his OCD. I love Adam. Yes, lady please take Haylen to the FBI lab. :lol: Get her out of Adam's hair. :lol: But how does Haylen get considered before Adam when she's only been a lab tech for a few months at best?

86 yr old murder? Woah!

:lol: at Flack humming the Twilight Zone theme.

Stella (to Mac): I'll shoot you if you say 'ladies first'. :guffaw: Best line of the night!

Danny thinks Adam has a crush on Haylen? Doubtful.

I guess Linds is at home with the baby again.

I like that tool that they were using to tell what the material on the wall was and what was in the water. Pretty nifty.

Oh man, Hawkes is trapped. I knew as soon as he picked up that phone and started to put it back that the door was gonna close.... but I didn't expect the walls to go all "garbage compactor from Star Wars" on him. Good thing the walls weren't sound proof.

Man that apartment reminds me of the Mansion on the Resident Evil game with all the puzzles and stuff.

:lol: at Adam trying to deny he was feeling threatened by Haylen's presence.

Love the teamwork on this ep. How did Mac figure out that the last puzzle meant the grandfather clock? I never would have thought of that.

Grade: B.

6. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

Nicely done!

How can Haylen, a PART-TIMER, possibly be considered for an FBI job? Minimal experience...sounds to me like a set up. Adam mentioned both he and Jake applied for it...Hmmm

Loved the Penthouse of Death. Seriously twisted people around 80 years ago!

Yep, Flack seems to have recovered. Nice tie, shaved, cynical one-liners..::Sigh::: It was nice while it lasted. And I wish someone else (other than Mac) would "instantly" solve the case.

But I liked it. The team worked together and everyone had their piece. The final shot of the team was cheesy, but effective. Can't wait for next week~

Tobin

7. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I really liked the episode, but it would have made a great halloween episode, I wonder why they didnt have it air in Oct. but wait and have it air at christmas time?? odd!!

But seriously CSI: NY if you are not going to have Lindsay/Anna in an episdoe this often you really need to start explaining it. How hard is it, seriously.
    Stella: Hey Danny, how is Lindsay enjoying her day off with Lucy?
    Danny: She's loving it, her and Lucy are gonig to go to the park later.
    Stella: Oh that's great, tell her we're all jealous, and we'll see her tomorrow!

DONE!!! that would take up like 15 sec. of the show. I don't really care if Lindsay in the show or not. I just hate that for liek the 4 episode this season Lindsay has just disappeared. We all can assume it is just her day off and she with Lucy, but I'm sick of assuming stuff with CSI: NY, they really need to start explaining things. esp. since out of all 3 CSI they are the most character driven show. So if they want to go that route they cant leave stuff hanging in the air anymore. Cause its really annoying!!

Ok rant over. Other than Lindsay just disappearing again without a word, I really liked the episode. But was a little dissapointed with Flack/Danny I thought they would have a bunch of really funny lines while they were in the death house. Other than that I really liked it, I give it an A.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I liked it. Good old fashion crime-solving. Just like what most have said.

The room with the puzzles was great. And it great to have Mac and Stella solving them. I think they are a great crime solving team and they do work well together. They know what each other is thinking so that's what worked so well in the episode, the two of them in the house solving puzzles.

Mac had two priceless moments I have to point out; first when he noticed the bookshelf moving. He had a WTF look on his face. It was like "those things only happen in the movies" sort of thing. And I was thinking the same thing.

Second, when they found the 'oven'. The look on Mac's face was again, priceless. Gary had a great expression and I loved how it was captured.

More tidbits; No Lindsay. Yeah, one would assume she was home with the baby. Sooner or later the baby is going to start becoming an issue. I mean Danny and Lindsay can't both be working all the time, can they? I guess this is TV and babies do grow up fast. I mean Lucy is already supposed to be close to a year old by now. :confused: :wtf:

And Adam, he is soooooooooooo adorable. I know TPTB were trying to make is seem like he was upset that Hayden got the FBI job, but I think secretly he was relieved. He struggled last season to show Mac how capable he was and how he is needed in the lab. For me, having him stumble over the news that Hayden was leaving was just part of his character and possible his OCD coming out? But that's me.

AND.... I read someone say that there should be some closure between Adam and Stella and I agree. I think there needs to be something else said between them. I wasn't rooting for them as a romantic couple, but it would have been nice to see some sort of closure put on their relationship/friendship. I mean that can't be easy for either one of them to work in the lab together, but again, that's me. ;)

In closing I did like this episode a lot. Mac and Stella working together solving puzzles, reading each other reminded me of Catherine and Gil from CSI Vegas. Especially the episode Dead Ringer . To me, both episodes had the same vibe and I dug it. :D

Grade A-

9. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I was horribly disappointed in last night's show. Gave it an F.

The idea of a death house was creative but failed on several levels for me. I'm so completely confused and I think I'm probably thinking too hard.

I guess we are left to assume that the owner used the oven to mummify the...mummy because he lived on after the guy was killed, right??? I'm confused on that one. Although the reference wasn't made to that. Only that it was used to cook people with extreme high heat and a copper wall. Okay, I'll make the leap that he used the room as a controlled atmosphere in order to mummify the body.

Except for the vent in the wall. And the fact that there was a cistern behind the bedroom wall that had been full of water for 80 odd years. Since they were able to put a camera above the cistern it certainly couldn't have been too tightly sealed off. Especially since the realtor's wife (or girlfriend...don't remember which) managed somehow to find it and fall in. Which would mean that humidity would have collected in the bedroom wall, mold formed, etc. See where this is going and how it would affect a dead body on the floor for that length of time? Something doesn't add up for me.:shifty:

Rules of Perpetuity. The realtor wanted the jump on the penthouse so he goes outside of this multistory building and climbs in through a skylight. Holy Crap Batman!!! Surely he had climbing gear that equaled more than a rope at that height. His wife/girlfriend must love him a lot because she took the same route in. Don't know how she got stuck in the cistern and will never know. Don't know how she got in the building in the first place. Another fail for me.

I'm so with Perfect Anomoly, ding dong Haylen's gone!!! Or at least we hope so. Haylen being considered for a position with FBI this soon after getting the grant to work in the lab smacks loudly of convenient way to get her off the show. But if they wanted to showcase the many young people going into forensic science and how hard it is to get a job, then this is a complete fail.

I think Adam's reaction is dead on with his insecurities. To think that he, as an experienced CSI lab tech got passed over for cute girl with no experience would be wounding to him and his distraction during the case shows that.

On a lighter note, I heard the sound of bodies dropping to the floor multiple times as Mac held Stella's hand as he looked at her phone...twice. Glad they put that in there for the Smacked shippers. After so much of D/L they needed a bone.

This show continues to concern me this season. Or maybe I need to stop watching Criminal Minds before watching this one. The contrast between how the two shows blend personal emotions with professional careers and the "case of the week" is telling because both are procedural shows with a beginning a middle and an end. At this point, I am much more invested in CM than CSI:NY and that bothers me because CSI:NY has always been my favorite show. For me, it just doesn't seem to be running on all cylinders this season. The human interest parts of the characters seem to be pulled out and put back in boxes quickly with little to no longterm effect.

Sorry for the length. It's a bad habit.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

C

Kind of boring, not as creative as it should have been, didn't live up to the promise of the title... it was a big fat okay for me. Not horrible, but not terrible either. I just never felt the stakes were that high.

Flack humming the Twilight Zone theme was cute, but I did totally expect more zingers from him. Danny is still intuitive and sweet, but he's less interesting this season--where was the banter between him and Flack? One of the things I love about Danny is how he tries to be funny and just isn't (whereas Flack is just funny), but we haven't seen that much this season (if at all).

It looks like Haylen is being written out--I will give total props to the writers for actually writing her out (in absentia, but still) rather than letting her fall into that Black Hole of Continuity we all love to reference.

No Lindsay is a total win, too. The character has really been sidelined this season, and I can't say I'm sorry.

I don't agree at all about explanations. Why do they need to shoehorn some reference in, when we can all easily assume it's because of the baby? And lest someone think I feel this way because I'm biased, I don't need an explanation every time Adam or Sid is missing from an episode. If it was Mac or Stella or Danny, yeah, but otherwise... not so much.

11. PerfectAnomaly

I agree with CSICupcake about CM totally overshadowing NY. Just take Reid vs. Danny for an example.

Danny was shot in the back and had only a 10% chance of ever walking again. Then in four or five episodes he's up and chasing suspects with only signs of some back pain as any indication he'd ever had anything wrong with him.

Reid was shot in the leg toward the beginning of the season (I don't remember which episode) and he's STILL walking with a cane.

Realism and continuity with character development, NY. Let CM show you it. :rolleyes:

12. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

True, but then again, while Danny's injury was only onscreen, Matthew actually hurt his knee and needs that cane in real life. He's not acting, they are accomodating a real life injury. But I agree, it seems much more realistic to see him recover at a slower rate than *poof* and it's all better.

As for references to Lindsay, I could go either way. I like the idea of referencing when she's not in the episode at all because for the last 4 seasons she has been in just about every episode, except when Anna was on maternity leave. The fact that Lindsay is missing every other episode this season is sort of glaring to me and, while it may or may not be due to budget cuts, to not reference a regular character that I like leaves a hole in the episode for me.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Still, it's a total missed opportunity with Danny, on both a physical and emotional level. There's been a lot of telling--Danny telling Stella about how scared he was after being shot, for example--and not enough showing. Has Danny been around gunfire since the shooting? Because I'd totally expect him to be flinching. And if Flack is freezing up over guilt, I kind of wonder if Danny would be, too, from a basic instinct.

I get that they didn't want to sideline Danny in a wheelchair all season. I might not agree, but I get it. Still, show us the psychological trouble then. Danny is the most emotional character on the show--I don't want to just see happy family time. So far, the only really interesting thing we've seen this season is that he doesn't trust his wife. Rather than going for the happy family dynamic, they should really explore that--Danny has trust issues that need to be worked out.

Sorry, that was way OT but I had to get that off my chest. :eek:

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

three times!! [/paying too much attention]:lol:

15. PerfectAnomaly

OK, so I didn't know that Matthew Gray Gubler had a RL injury and that is probably why Reid hasn't healed yet. I don't think most viewers would know that and it still makes NY look ridiculously lame (no pun intended) when you compare the two story lines.