Grade "Communication Breakdown"

How would you grade Communication Breakdown?

• A+

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • A

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • A-

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • B+

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • B

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • B-

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • C+

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • C

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • C-

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • D+

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D-

• F

• Total voters
Irish is a completely different as it is a independant country
Only 3/4 of it, but that's a whole nother can of worms.

That is a massive can of worms!!

For any Irish people here........... Did the Scottish guy sound Irish when he was speaking Irish?
Nope, not really. Couldn't make out half of what he was saying either (although I'll admit to a certain lack of fluency myself). Plus I was slightly distracted because the goals seemed way too small for a proper hurling match, and I didn't think the goalposts were high enough.

As for the guys name 'Finn Wexford'? It struck me as a name that I writer would think "cool, that certainly sounds Irish", and while 'Finn' (short for Finbarr) is common enough, Wexford is more of an English last name. (Heck, I even looked up the phone book and couldn't find anybody with that last name)

I wonder how this episode will be recieved in Ireland? I know the show is designed for the US, but it it airs in alot of other countries (making TPTB alot of money) and you would expect them to be sensitive to this when writing episodes like this.

To me it is just another example of the lack of effort the writers seem to put into the minor details. There have been so many episodes this season that I have come away think 'that could have been a great episode if only they got X right'. Someone should tell them attention to detail is what makes the difference between a OK show and a great show.

I'll repeat again my feelings about Flack and Angell working a case together. WTF? They've already been through a situation where Angell's word was seen as worthless when it came to backing Flack up, and they're still working side by side? (I'm not saying they have to work different precincts or even different shifts, but no way in hell should they be partnered together)

Same could be said for Danny and Lindsay.

For any Irish people here........... Did the Scottish guy sound Irish when he was speaking Irish?
Nope, not really. Couldn't make out half of what he was saying either (although I'll admit to a certain lack of fluency myself). Plus I was slightly distracted because the goals seemed way too small for a proper hurling match, and I didn't think the goalposts were high enough.

As for the guys name 'Finn Wexford'? It struck me as a name that I writer would think "cool, that certainly sounds Irish", and while 'Finn' (short for Finbarr) is common enough, Wexford is more of an English last name. (Heck, I even looked up the phone book and couldn't find anybody with that last name)

Well, I don't know enough about hurling to judge, but I do know that Wexford is the county town of County Wexford. It's a nice little place. What I remember most clearly is that there's a statue of John Barry (the Father of the American Navy; he was born in Tacumshane :p) that overlooks the Crescent Quay.

But I have no idea whether this was an intentional move on the writers' part, or if they just put a random "that totally sounds Irish" name on him.

I wonder why they didn't find someone Irish to ask for advice about these little details? If I was writing about a country, language or culture I wasn't intimately familiar with, the first thing I'd do is find someone with personal knowledge and experience so I didn't screw it up and look like a total douchebag. If they found someone to teach the actors how to speak Irish, they could have found someone to give the script a once-over (and perhaps find someone with a real Irish accent, for that matter).

Of course, after "Snow Day", they probably think they're experts. :lol:

I wonder why they didn't find someone Irish to ask for advice about these little details? If I was writing about a country, language or culture I wasn't intimately familiar with, the first thing I'd do is find someone with personal knowledge and experience so I didn't screw it up and look like a total douchebag.
Accuracy is so overrated. [/sarcasm]
After seeing how poorly Spain was portrayed in "Mission Impossible 2", anything is, ironically, possible. Movies and shows displaying different cultures are so likely to screw up. It's not that they don't know, it's simply that they don't care. Nobody expect the writers to know every little single fact about each and every culture, but research exists for a reason.

D. Minus. And that's me being generous.

Ever since season one CSI:NY could be set in any city across the country. Only the first season has ever really accurately captured the diversity of New York City, and every season past that has done a terrible job with showing us that these characters live and work in one of the most diverse cities in the United States.

Writers? FAIL.

Stuffing one episode full of people that speak different languages and foreigners does NOT make the show or the city "diverse." It makes it ham handed and ridiculous. Every aspect of this episode was geared toward showing us that NYC was a diverse place. A Native American Indian is killed in the episode, on a train filled with only foreigners who don't speak English. The first suspect is the Chinese man that fired the weapon. The next is a woman who appears to be from the middle east. Next is a group of Irish men. All this episode did was ram these different cultures and ethnic groups down our throats to make up for what the past 3 and a half seasons have lacked, and it was even more painfully obvious when Mac and Stella had their preachy little talk about appriciating the different cultures in the world.

Not to mention, the entire time everyone under the sun seems to have gained the ability to speak another language. Yes, Flack and Angell speaking Gaelic and French was sexy. But besides that, what sense does it make for them to know it? Same goes with Stella and Greek...yes, her character is Greek, and yes, the actress is too. But she was orphaned at a very young age-would she really have been lucky enough to be placed in a foster home/orphanage that taught her fluent Greek? It seems to me that it isn't just the line between Carmine and Danny that is being blurred, but the line between every character and that actor that portrays them. Of the entire cast, I would think Danny and Hawkes (as people have mentioned) are the ones most likely to be able to speak another language. Danny is Italian, and as he mentions when he's running through baby names, most of the males in his family have strong Italian names, so it would make sense that his cultural background suits him speaking Italian. As for Hawkes, he's Hawkes. He's brilliant, a prodigy, and most likely would be able to pick up another language with all of those facts he's got in his head. As a stretch, I could even see Sid legitimately knowing some of the Lithuanian he spoke. He is the oldest of them all, and it makes more sense that his ancestors would be newer to the country that Mac's or Angell's would be.

Ugh.

Besides smacking us upside the head the entire time with NY's cultural diversity, the episode was really not very interesting at all. It never felt like it actually went anywhere, and I was honestly very bored watching it. Danny walking around musing over names for his baby was cute at first, but quickly got old...and I agree with the people who have mentioned it before, it was painfully obvious as the episode went on that he was going to be having a girl. The lack of Lindsay was a major plus of course, and I really do find it even harder to miss the fact that she is nothing to this storyline except for the incubator-she texts Danny to tell him they are having a girl, not even gracing him with a phone call, or finding out the sex of the child with him in New York before she left. Danny is looking through names, and hasn't even thought to call Lindsay and ask what she would like to do.

At this point, I'll easily bet my entire college tuition that Lindsay is going to be the one to kick the bucket in the finale...

Adam was adorable as usual...he never fails to brighten an otherwise lacklustre episode. ;) I also loved the Hawkes and Sid moments-they always work so well together, and I wish we could see that more often. And of course, Flack and Angell are still hot, and still have great chemistry....but that cheesy flirting over the translator was a little much. I would have been totally fine with her saying something in French (if they had to keep it in there), him asking what it meant, and her saying "Oh you'll find out."

But those were just a few good moments in an otherwise totally headdesk worthy episode.....:rolleyes:

The Scots are British, as are the Welsh, since they're part of Great Britain which is the entire island.
I'm aware of their location and the political and geographical structure of Great Britain. Have you ever called an Irish person or a Scottish person a Brit? I don't recommend it. They don't care much for it. That's not the nationality most of them identify with since, yuh know, they've fought some wars over it and they tend to take great offense. I'm just asking for a little exercise in respect to cultures other than your own.

I realise this has gone way of topic, but your are offending my nationality now. I am British - English of Scottish decent. English, Welsh or Scottish people would not take offence at being called British as that is their official nationality and the passport they hold. However, a Scottish person would take offence at being called English. People interchange British and English too easily - there are not the same thing and that is where the problem lies. Irish is a completely different as it is a independant country.

I agree with you that they should have refered to the Cheif as Native American and no Indian though.

Ah, there's no need to worry, you must be a ok if you've got good Scottish blood running through you. :lol::lol:

I'm Scottish, British and European. Don't mind being called Irish, as my name would suggest I was, and all my bloodline is. Does irk me though when people (always American) think Scotland is in London. I have been called a Geordie, I coped with that ok.

I've only every been offended when some girl from Birmingham stated that she didn't carry out my instructions properly because I had a funny accent. I had steam coming out my ears, yelling that some ***** female Jasper Carrott thinks I talk funny. :)

Was definately :eek: at the number of times they said American Indian on the show. It's as bad as people here thinking that all Asians are Pakistanis.

I'm aware of their location and the political and geographical structure of Great Britain. Have you ever called an Irish person or a Scottish person a Brit? I don't recommend it. They don't care much for it. That's not the nationality most of them identify with since, yuh know, they've fought some wars over it and they tend to take great offense. I'm just asking for a little exercise in respect to cultures other than your own.

I realise this has gone way of topic, but your are offending my nationality now. I am British - English of Scottish decent. English, Welsh or Scottish people would not take offence at being called British as that is their official nationality and the passport they hold. However, a Scottish person would take offence at being called English. People interchange British and English too easily - there are not the same thing and that is where the problem lies. Irish is a completely different as it is a independant country.

I agree with you that they should have refered to the Cheif as Native American and no Indian though.

Ah, there's no need to worry, you must be a ok if you've got good Scottish blood running through you. :lol::lol:

I'm Scottish, British and European. Don't mind being called Irish, as my name would suggest I was, and all my bloodline is. Does irk me though when people (always American) think Scotland is in London. I have been called a Geordie, I coped with that ok.

There are people who think that?

I've only every been offended when some girl from Birmingham stated that she didn't carry out my instructions properly because I had a funny accent. I had steam coming out my ears, yelling that some ***** female Jasper Carrott thinks I talk funny. :)

Was definately :eek: at the number of times they said American Indian on the show. It's as bad as people here thinking that all Asians are Pakistanis.

Wait, wait. What?

Scotland is in England, all Asians are from Pakistan, Native Americans are from India...? :wtf: My head is spinning from all these strange misconceptions. They don't even make sense!

There are people who think that?

Wait, wait. What?

Scotland is in England, all Asians are from Pakistan, Native Americans are from India...? :wtf: My head is spinning from all these strange misconceptions. They don't even make sense!

In the UK, a racist term for Asians is a shortened form of Pakistani. The word itself would not be offensive, if used correctly, but it's use is unacceptable, due to a history of mis-use by nasty people. It is as offensive as the n-word to those who are the victims of racism.

In the UK, a racist term for Asians is a shortened form of Pakistani. The word itself would not be offensive, if used correctly, but it's use is unacceptable, due to a history of mis-use by nasty people. It is as offensive as the n-word to those who are the victims of racism.

Ah, I know what you're referring to now. Took me a while. As I understand, there's been a movement by some youth to reclaim the word, like with "the N word" here in the States, right?http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Paki The whole, "It's OK for me to say it because I'm Pakistani, but it isn't OK for you to say it because you're not," sort of thing?

Anyway, I doubt most people in the States even know the term or its history, and that's good, because even just reading about the ignorance kind of hurts my brain.

I am a Geordie! Which is possible why I prefer British, we don't really fit in with the rest of England :lol:.

When I went travelling everyone thought I was Irish whilst at the same time thinking that meant I lived in London :wtf:, The Irish part I could live with.

Oh wow. I apologize for my country. Who the hell thinks that Scotland is in London? It's not even in England.

I always thought it was funny when people don't believe that you're from your homestate because of your accent. When I went to Florida, and said I was from New Jersey, someone actually gave my parents and me a weird look and said, "Oh... did you move there? Your accent is different." We had to explain that we do not live in North Jersey. North Jersey accents sound like New York accents, whereas South Jersey accents sound more like Philadelphia accents. This is why South Jersey doesn't like North Jersey. :lol:

I'll repeat again my feelings about Flack and Angell working a case together. WTF? They've already been through a situation where Angell's word was seen as worthless when it came to backing Flack up, and they're still working side by side? (I'm not saying they have to work different precincts or even different shifts, but no way in hell should they be partnered together)

Same could be said for Danny and Lindsay.[/quote]

And I totally agree. Danny and Lindsay should never be working on the same set of evidence i.e. neither should be in a position of checking the others work to corroborate their findings. On the other hand, working two completely different sets of evidence from the same scene would probably be okay.

^ Well, it's not as if TPTB is in any way concerned with actually sticking to the integrity of the actual NYPD rules (such as the fact that Lindsay or Danny should've been moved to a different precinct). So, it's not really surprising, sadly enough.

Good episode for Flack/ Angell moments – who didn’t love the ‘colourful way’ scene!

However, one point I’d like to arise is something Sid said [Sid said – say that out loud XP] – ‘What the hell kindda murder weapon is this?’

Does that phrase sound vaguely familiar to anyone?

How about – ‘What the hell kindda sick party is this?’

That was Flack.

Did Sid nick a phrase from Flack or vice versa?

Cuz I labeled that phrase [What the hell kindda…?] as a very Flack thing… and it sounds weird coming from Sid... Anyone else?

Oh and who didn’t just LOVE the ‘Our bearded friend from the tech republic’ – I think that is SO cute.

Oh and a very multi lingual episode I must say. Talk about appealing to the nations =D I think I understood some of the Korean - No thanks to one of my friends XP

But still, after taking French for 3 years I failed at translating Angell’s words. Thank God for the universal translator… However, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy much? Anyone remember the Babel Fish? [I’d hate to stick them into my ear though]

Oh [last one] and who did not drool over Flack’s ‘Oolala’

=D

I leave you now with happy thoughs

Back