Grade "Communication Breakdown"

How would you grade Communication Breakdown?

• A+

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • A

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • A-

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • B+

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • B

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • B-

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • C+

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • C

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • C-

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • D+

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D-

• F

• Total voters
The Scots are British, as are the Welsh, since they're part of Great Britain which is the entire island.
I'm aware of their location and the political and geographical structure of Great Britain. Have you ever called an Irish person or a Scottish person a Brit? I don't recommend it. They don't care much for it. Since they've fought some wars over it they tend to take great offense.
I asked & someone who is Scottish said "I'm not offended by being called British or anything, its not derogatory." so I don't think that's true. Ireland is a separate island - they are not part of Great Britian therefore they aren't British... I think people say that they are Welsh, English, or Scottish - but they don't claim that they aren't British.

My mother's grandmother was Scottish, by the way.

Good for your grandmother. So is one of mine. A lot of people have Scottish decent. That wasn't at ALL the point of anything I've said here. Also, kudos to you for finding a Scottish person who doesn't mind being called a British. Too bad, I guess, to all those who's families have bloodied histories of violence with the British because they've spend centuries trying to retain their own culture.

It's sad that we have to find reasons to be lazy in regard to knowing anything about other ethnic backgrounds.

ETA: It's not derogatory. It's ignorant and lazy. However that line between being offensive or not gets seriously blurred when the person using the wrong distinctive term is well aware that it's incorrect.

It's a history with the English (not Britain...) they get offended if you call them English because they aren't.

It's a history with the English (not Britain...) they get offended if you call them English because they aren't.

You continue to ignore the only part of this conversation I'm actually trying to get across here.

ETA: If you really want to keep arguing about the Scots the Irish and the British and the Welsh, while we're at it, here's a slew of people who don't want to be called English OR British amidst some others who are ambivalent as you believe most of them are--> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090306082456AAY2973

It's an endless debate and your view of it, despite your own heritage, is not nearly covering all the angles. That's what I'm trying to say here. You can't just go lumping distinctly different groups of people together out of verbal laziness. Look it up. Cover your bases. At least make an ATTEMPT to avoid insulting the people you're taking about. ETA: Which, I'd like to remind you, in the first place was not anyone hailing from GB. We were taking about the misuse of the term Indian, which I personally think is one of the most dated and disrespectful terms for a Native American still in use because we know it's incorrect and cannot be bothered to correct ourselves. Where I come from is generally regarded as a slap in the face to an entire culture. A culture a part of me belongs to no less, so forgive me but I am insulted.

Last edited:
Yikes! I come in here and have about 30 posts to read. :eek: I guess that's what I get for not reading this thread for a couple days.

As for the Native American vs Indian debate (I'm not going into the others). While Indian is used in the US all the time, it is offense to Native Americans as well as others. Try calling a Native American an Indian and see how well that goes over.

I remember my history teacher during my freshman year of high school was of Native American descent; if I recall correctly she was mostly Yavapai-Apache. She was offended by the term "Indian" being used to describe Native Americans, and she's ultimately the reason why I don't do it. (Other culturally sensitive teachers came before and after her who influenced me, too. Maybe everyone should just go to California public schools. :p)

As for whether the Scots and Irish like being called British, about half of my family is Irish; my boyfriend and his family are, too. I think most of them would take offense at being called British, or at least laugh derisively at whoever said it.

Anyhoo, in a vague attempt to get back on topic... I rewatched the episode today. The name scene with Sheldon and Danny kind of annoyed me this time around. I just got a harsh vibe off of their exchange.

Ireland is a separate island... they are defiantly are not British.
I think it's safe to say the topic of conversation has gotten way off from grading the episode Communication Breakdown.

Moving on,
I rewatched the episode today. The name scene with Sheldon and Danny kind of annoyed me this time around. I just got a harsh vibe off of their exchange.
I didn't see it harsh but just teasing but then again, I never saw anything harsh between Sheldon and Flack when they had that cute exchange in the magic shop (I forget the episode atm) but a lot of people did.

What bothered me about that episode was the fact that Danny mentioned the name Louie but didn't bother to make any kid of statement to let us know if Louie recovered, died, or is still laying in a hospital bed somewhere. How could they let something that important go for almost three years? :confused: I thought it was cute how Danny teased Sheldon about his name. Six weeks seems like a long time to have a nameless baby.

I rewatched the episode today. The name scene with Sheldon and Danny kind of annoyed me this time around. I just got a harsh vibe off of their exchange.
I didn't see it harsh but just teasing but then again, I never saw anything harsh between Sheldon and Flack when they had that cute exchange in the magic shop (I forget the episode atm) but a lot of people did.

What bothered me about that episode was the fact that Danny mentioned the name Louie but didn't bother to make any kid of statement to let us know if Louie recovered, died, or is still laying in a hospital bed somewhere. How could they let something that important go for almost three years? :confused:

I think the mention of Louie's name, coupled with Hawkes's response about mafia names, is what made it seem a little harsh to me this time around. Also, Danny's last "Sheldon" just seemed a bit snippy. Then again, I was looking for the negativity on my second viewing; the first time I watched it seemed like normal, fun teasing.

I thought it was cute how Danny teased Sheldon about his name. Six weeks seems like a long time to have a nameless baby.

Well, six weeks seems like a pretty long time to wait for me, too, but it's not unheard of. I was named pretty much right off the bat, but I guess if you don't have a name in mind...? :confused:

I think the mention of Louie's name, coupled with Hawkes's response about mafia names, is what made it seem a little harsh to me this time around. Also, Danny's last "Sheldon" just seemed a bit snippy. Then again, I was looking for the negativity on my second viewing; the first time I watched it seemed like normal, fun teasing.
I haven't watched it again since Wednesday but the first time he said it in that scene, it was funny. It's strange that in The Party's Over Danny mentions coming from a family of cops when it was always implied he was more from a mob family and then with Sheldon bringing up 'mafia names' makes it really confusing. I'd think if Danny comes from a family of cops like he said, that he wouldn't be too happy with the mafia comment.

I think when Hawkes remarked on the "cast list of Godfather II" he meant it in the way that all the names Danny was listing sounded Italian or to Hawkes sounded like names of of people in the Sicilian mafia - I don't think it was meant to imply that his family was part of Costa Nostra.

I haven't watched it again since Wednesday but the first time he said it in that scene, it was funny. It's strange that in The Party's Over Danny mentions coming from a family of cops when it was always implied he was more from a mob family and then with Sheldon bringing up 'mafia names' makes it really confusing. I'd think if Danny comes from a family of cops like he said, that he wouldn't be too happy with the mafia comment.
I think the writers are just hoping that we don't remember anything that happened in The Party's Over.

Last edited:
The Scots are British, as are the Welsh, since they're part of Great Britain which is the entire island.
I'm aware of their location and the political and geographical structure of Great Britain. Have you ever called an Irish person or a Scottish person a Brit? I don't recommend it. They don't care much for it. That's not the nationality most of them identify with since, yuh know, they've fought some wars over it and they tend to take great offense. I'm just asking for a little exercise in respect to cultures other than your own.

I realise this has gone way of topic, but your are offending my nationality now. I am British - English of Scottish decent. English, Welsh or Scottish people would not take offence at being called British as that is their official nationality and the passport they hold. However, a Scottish person would take offence at being called English. People interchange British and English too easily - there are not the same thing and that is where the problem lies. Irish is a completely different as it is a independant country.

I agree with you that they should have refered to the Cheif as Native American and no Indian though.

^ I agree this has gone way off topic. I don't try to offend you or your nationality (trusst me, I endure that with mine everysingle day, as you are European and you know what image Romanians have in Europe), but I did work for British people almost a year. Random people from sole traders to ltd companies when I was doing communications for a network, and I had my share of screamers, when I asked what their nationality are. Some Scotts corrected me when I wrote down British and they stressed Scottish, or when I asked myself the answer wasn't British, but Scottish. Obviously, not everybody did that, but what roxi and I were trying to say, is that some get offended. Some can't be bothered, but for some it really matters.

Scottish people carry a British passport, legally their nationality is British, Scotland is not an independant nation - neither is England or Wales. The problem is that alot of people from outside Britian (I am not saying you do, usually it is American people - no offence to anyone) consider England and Britain the same thing and no Scottish person wants to be considered English so they tend to stress that they are Scottish. My point was that it is correct to consider Scottish people British so not similar in anyway to calling Native Americans Indians.

Irish is a completely different as it is a independant country
Only 3/4 of it, but that's a whole nother can of worms.

Moving along. A caman? Really? All the hurlers I know of would call it a hurl or a hurley.

For any Irish people here........... Did the Scottish guy sound Irish when he was speaking Irish?
Nope, not really. Couldn't make out half of what he was saying either (although I'll admit to a certain lack of fluency myself). Plus I was slightly distracted because the goals seemed way too small for a proper hurling match, and I didn't think the goalposts were high enough.

As for the guys name 'Finn Wexford'? It struck me as a name that I writer would think "cool, that certainly sounds Irish", and while 'Finn' (short for Finbarr) is common enough, Wexford is more of an English last name. (Heck, I even looked up the phone book and couldn't find anybody with that last name)

I'll repeat again my feelings about Flack and Angell working a case together. WTF? They've already been through a situation where Angell's word was seen as worthless when it came to backing Flack up, and they're still working side by side? (I'm not saying they have to work different precincts or even different shifts, but no way in hell should they be partnered together)

Back