Grade 'Clean Sweep'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, Jan 6, 2012.

?

How would you grade Clean Sweep?

1. A+

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. A

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. B

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Indeed...I can't condone what Ryan did but in the same breath, the laws for stalking are pretty much a joke in most places. Often time the only time someone can take action is when the stalker finally attacks someone.

2. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yeah I agree very tedious. Plus idk I think Gary gets out of character a bit when he goes on those tangents. But Mac is an ex Marine so I guess he would spout off about it.

3. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I thought I was the only one who thought like that...lol. I love what he does for our troops (my cousin is in the Marines and has also met Gary), but I think he's a little obsessed with supporting them...a bit too obsessed.

4. Country233

I agree. Why is Gary so interested in the troops when he didn't serve? It is almost like he feels guilty about not being a military man so he makes up for it by being an advocate.

5. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Maybe he feels people don't respect or honor the troops enough. He does go a little overboard at times but as someone who has loved ones who have served..I'll never complain too much about it.
    It's a lot better than their all rich people are evil/all poor people are good at heart/all popular kids are bullies theme that runs in many CSI episodes.

6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

He has A LOT of family who served. The dog tags he wore as Lt. Dan were the actual ones on the rosary that his brother-in-law wore as a combat medic in Vietnam. He named his son, McCanna after another brother-in-law (Boyd McCanna Harris, who as you might recall is also the inspiration for Mac's father - McCanna Boyd Taylor) who was an officer in the Army and also served in Vietnam. His uncle was a B-52 bomber in WWII, and he has been involved in troop support going all the way back to the early '80s in Steppenwolf when they put on the show 'Tracers'. Yes it was a bit of a PSA moment, the problem is extremely real, and there are a shocking number of vets young and old that fall through cracks post-deployment. I think we tend to cliche the image of homeless vets to those old guys, but the amount of relative youngsters facing severe PTSD is quite incredible. Just watch the documentary 'Restrepo' about a company from the 125th Infantry in Afghanistan, and they're just one company. And the thing is, in that conversation when Jo mentioned the horrors the young people are being sent to deal with and be expected to cope with, I could almost see Mac realize that it could have happened to him. In fact throughout that whole conversation that is what came through to me. He was a Recon Marine. The special forces of the Marines. He has talked about "putting men in the ground on foreign soil" - not the typical battle-field language. god knows what he saw and experienced when he was in his twenties, and I'm sure it was running through his head. So no, I didn't have a problem with it all, and I don't have a problem with the amount of energy Gary puts into troop support. He actually means every single word. Which is extremely rare. And yes I'm a bit lopsided being an Army combat medic myself and my brother a fighter pilot in the Air Force, but like I said, he truly means it all. It isn't lip service and a 'convenient' charity as a celebrity like most others. And tying the whole thing back to Mac, I think was quite in character for him given his past which clearly still haunts him as much as it gives him pride.

As for the ep itself, it was really quite sad. Tragic in nearly every respect. I so felt for Ryan and his wife, and I think Mac wished he had a say in what charges the DA decided to press as well. Which was part of the tragedy. And I thought actually a really good touch. So often the CSI department of the NYPD is portrayed as being the ones who totally investigate and close cases, but in reality, they just present science and it's up to a multitude of other people in the justice system to make what use of it they can. Science can only go so far.

I liked the twists the case took. It was rather refreshing not to know the outcome right from the start. Although them not instantly realizing why Ryan faked his death was rather :shifty: That was rather obvious.

I LOATHED the reporter, and was exceedingly glad in that last scene (oh god, don't get me started on that last scene...! :D ), when Mac pretty clearly stated he wasn't taking her up on any of her 'other' offers. But seriously, that last scene about killed me! And not because I ship Mac and Jo (I don't). It was brilliant in so many ways, and Mac's expression and the way he said, "Flack is dead. He's. dead."...... :guffaw::guffaw: I think Flack is definitely going to hear about that one :lol:

Not enough Adam, but his bit where he skids up to Mac and tells him he's a genius had me laughing as well :lol:

And as an absolute shock, I actually didn't mind Lindsey this ep, and kinda *gasp* liked her scene with Mac. For some reason it reminded me almost a bit of s2.

So overall, a pretty good ep. I don't know that it's one I'll rewatch in its entirety a lot just because all the story lines in it really are so sad, but I am going to admit I've re-watched that end scene *cough*quite a few*cough* times :lol:

A-

7. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I gave this one an A+. The twist and turns were fantastic. I liked that Gary's passion for the troops was part of the episode. I think it is wonderful that he can use his career to help his passion. I have to say the only thing about the episode I did not care for was the story line with Jennifer. She is not that pretty and the character is a little annoying. I did like Lindsay egging him on about it though. She has to go though. This show is still tying Criminal Minds for my top favorite show.

8. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Perhaps wrongly, I sensed an allusion to Robert deNiro as Al Capone in "The Untouchables." ;)

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I liked this one. The case twists were a bit odd and convienent, but over all it kept my interest. There were good character moments, too. Danny and Flack never fail to amuse me even in a small scene. Same with Jo and Mac together. Lindsay wasn't even a pain in the ass in this episode. I give it a B.

10. Country233

It is all about frame of reference I guess. I only know 3 people in the military and it seems so odd to me to be entrenched in the military but I know it is some peoples' lives. As for Gary it is nice that he cares but it strikes me as a bit odd too.

11. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Is it me or did Flack not seem as harsh on Marty as many other suspects?

12. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

Thanks, Jade. You saved me from doing this in what was almost guaranteed to be a less mature, more awful way.

As Jade mentioned previously, Gary's got a lot of family in the military. He's also mentioned that he did wish that he'd enlisted at some point, but that he didn't quite have the same feelings about it when he was in high school. It is a bit odd, I guess, but he spends his time helping to entertain the troops overseas. I think it's his way of giving back. Either way, they put those in because a lot of people don't exactly know about some of the things vets suffer from. I thought it was quite appropriate :)

13. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Vs some of the other themes this show has beaten to death over the years, I'll gladly take PSA's about our troops and the too often shameful conditions they are subjected to.

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I caught the episode last night and thought it was pretty good! The twists did not come off as contrived and didn't seem to be done for 'shock' value. There was a decent amount of screentime. Lindsay, as frustrating as she is, did not bother me at all during the episode so that's a major accomplishment right there! :lol: I really loved the final scene between Mac and Jo; just another reminder of how nice it is to have Sela Ward on the show.

B+ from me!

15. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I don't know if this was filmed before AJ's father got sick, but Adam didn't look good. I was thinking someone needed to take him home and tuck him in.