Grade 'Can You Hear Me Now?'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 26, 2007.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Gave it an A.

I love it when they all work the same case, seems more cohesive and gives everyone a chance to shine a bit.

The Borderline-Friendly Competion between Adam & Kendall was cute; I'm sure they'll be trying to out-preen eachother as the season wears on :lol:

Anna's new haircut is great, and Lindsay didn't grate on my nerves. As others have mentioned, she does light-hearted much better than anything else, hopefully the writers have finally noticed, and will keep her that way.

Liked seeing Mac slightly disheveled and off his game a bit; once again, humanizes him rather nicely. Definitely intrigued by his "3:33 am Stalker", can't wait to see how that all unfolds. And I do hope we haven't seen the last of Peyton, she brings out something in Mac that we don't see with anyone else.

2. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

Overall a great show--I was waiting for Sid to get creepy and comment on his personal experience with the spray-on latex, but that didn't happen. I liked the new video montage for the opening credits, but did NOT like the shortened version of Baba O'Reilly--it doesn't work for me without the "I don't need to fight/to prove I'm right/I don't need to be forgiven" lyrics.

The boyfriend of the original murder victim really went to a dark creepy place after his lady died and he was treated as a suspect--he became a worse killer than the original one was and that was a shocker.

Too bad Adam and Kendall didnt' seal the deal--I think they make a good couple. Lindsay's call about Denny's and the Unemployment office was frigging annoying though--someone who did that too much would not be well liked at work where I come from.

This Half-beast (333 is half of 666, the number of the Beast/AntiChrist) who keeps on calling Mac looks like will be a thread running through NY this season like the MCSSK was in CSI last year. I'm curious if it has to do with Mac's previous Military work or maybe Gerard....

Great ep overall--loved it with the exception of the Lindsay parts...

3. FlackAttack

FlackAttack Prime Suspect

I gotta say that ultimately I really liked the season opener last night. I was disappointed that they didn't show any continuity from "Snow Day", but not surprised. That looks like NY's pattern so far.

The case was really gruesome and by that I mean cool. It takes a sick imagination to kill someone by pumping their veins full of cleaning fluid, or hiding a half dead person in a drum. I picked up on the landlord being the real murderer as soon as Stella walked into his apt to tell him they had a suspect. But that's ok seeing as it was already so late in the episode, they did a good job of making him out to be a red-herring at first.

And I guess I'm not alone in thinking that the ep had some really hilarious moments. I couldn't keep a straight face watching the spray-on condom scene, especially when Danny was all flabbergasted trying to figure out the mechanics of it. The Adam/Kendall interactions were also funny and I liked how they were trying to one-up each other in their nerdiness.

Creepy, how Mac keeps getting calls at 3:33 AM. I'm thinking it might have to do with the Irish gang from "Snow Day" but who knows. It definitely reminds me of the X-Files and all the significant numbers in that show that always show up on the clocks.

Ok, here's my big complaint. WTF with the new credits?? I like the style of the credits, it was about time we stopped seeing season 1 Danny. But why, why, why butcher Baba O'Riley? At first I thought they needed to add some more music to accommodate the addition of AJ Buckley and Robert Joy, which would've been fine by me. But they were not added and that upsets me. Argh, I can't believe they cut out the line "I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right, I don't need to be forgiven". Boo! It fit the show so well.

4. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

^ And here I was looking forward to the new opening credits... *shakes head* I'm not really looking forward to hearing this butchered version of the song.

Anyway, more thoughts later as I watch the episode.

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I liked it, the case was thrilling, despite the fact that the murderer was quite obvious.
    It's a pity the lack of continuity with the season finale but they always do things that way.

On a frivolous way:
    -I didn't like what they did to Baba O'Riley and that Robert Joy and AJ Buckley didn't make it to the opening credits.
    -I didn't like Lindsay's and Hawkes' new haircuts.
    -What's going on between Mac and Peyton?
    -I missed Sid's sarcastic comments.
    -Adam and the lab girl make a cute couple.
    -The scene with Lindsay placing the condom spray in Danny's pocket was hilarious.

6. csi_fanatic

csi_fanatic Pathologist

Re: Grade 'Can You Har Me Now?'

i liked this episode
    adam and kendall that was funny
    the spray on condom lol hahahhahahahha i still find that utterly hilarious specially with danny being confused and then his face when lindsay handed him the bottle hahah
    other than that the murder was creepy kind of
    blah i can't think right now my police and society class is gettin ready to start

7. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Mandy I a gave it a B+- I have more or less similar reasons!

I'm glad they changed the opening credits but I'm not sure if I prefer it!

I loved the webcam part following on with Lindsay ringing a sleeping Adam!!! :lol: I love the interaction between him and Kendall!

8. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

ARGGH! That was one thing that REALLY annoyed me while watching the episode...at least give Danny a cast or let us see the scars on Adam's hand from cigarette burns, or SOMETHING. Even the lab was totally perfect with all that new stuff in it...does this show have any continuity at all??

lol Poor Adam...I did actually like the fact that they didn't sleep together though. Every character's potential love interest so far in this show has been introduced waking up in bed with them...the fact that Adam was on the floor and they didn't do anything might mean that the writers are at least letting this relationship progress a little before they do much else..the two of them are cute together, but there are some of the same problems between them as there are between Lindsay and Danny...not much romantic chemistry. I really hope they can improve on this, maybe even just keep them as co-workers and NOT get into a relationship at all...just because the writers see fit to give everyone else a love interest doesn't mean that everyone needs to get one. Besides the weak writing with Lindsay, the being a love interest thing ruined her chances at becoming a decent character, and i'd hate to see that happen again...AJ Buckley did a great job in this ep and he really deserves that spot in the opening credits...i'd hate to see his character mutilated like Danny's for the sake of a relationship.
    Oh god i hope not. I did like the scene to a point though, the looks on Hawkes and Danny's faces were priceless... :lol: Lindsay's putting the can in his pocket was saved by the great face he made at the end...

Lindsay really grated me in this ep though...I'm glad they kept her in the lab more and gave her more lighthearted stuff to work with, but the part that killed me was when she called Adam to tell him to "get his little ass in to work"...was that supposed to be teasing? funny? or was she supposed to be the tough co-worker? With all her little tantrums she's thrown on the job, she's the last person that should be allowed to chastise Adam for being late. Some of her other deliveries were flat later in the episode as well...but at least we didnt see too much D/L googly eyes across the lab, which was what i was really afraid of.

I have to agree with you there. The story had potential, but some things just came out of left field...how did the super know how to embalm people??? did i miss someone saying he used to work in a funeral home or something? :confused:

There were some good character moments, but all in all I can give this ep more than a C...it just didn't have the CSI:NY taste to it at all.... :(

9. NOLAGRRL

NOLAGRRL Witness

Wow, y'all have pretty much said everything I could say and then some.

It was a good episode that didn't blow me out of the water but didn't leave me angry at the tv either. Maybe my expectations were too high after Snow Day.

I do know I am happy they changed the opening credits but not the song. Loved Adam, not sure about Kendall, why is she rubbing me the wrong way? I will give her a chance though. I must admit I am a little curious about the Mac story arc because if it does go on for a billion episodes I am going to have a stroke at one of the 3:33's. Loved Flack time, glad it was more than 1 scene. Not shocked about the whole continuity thing (or usual lack there of), but no less frustrated.

Going to try to interject quicker next time so as to not have already been repeated.

10. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Was it me or when Danny was talking to Lindsay on webcam did he have some sort of bandage around his right wrist??

11. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I noticed that too--i wondered if maybe it had something to do with Snow Day and his hand being damaged...but it was his fingers, not his wrist...maybe it was an injury Carmine got during filming?

12. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

you can learn anything on the internet...i once stumbled across instructions on how to properly have sex with dead bodies (i don't know how i found that, but it was sick...)!

I gave the eppy an A+

It was way better than i thought it would be...lots of great moments.

I wasn't expecting much continuty..its a tv show, it always happens, no matter how good the show is.

The case was crazy! The writers have sick imaginations :eek: i like it

AHHHH! What did they do to Baba O'Rilley?!?! You can't remix that song!!

Adam was so cute, lol. I thought the exchange between him and lindsy was good...I took that to her being sarcastic, and joking, not mean.

The spray on condom thing was funny :lol: How could you trust something that comes out of a can?? Yikes. Hawkes and Danny are priceless together

Mac is pretty moody again...but I would be pissed off too if someone kept phoning me at 3:33 am.

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A

A really enjoyable hour of TV last night! I thought it was a good season opener--as others have said, it's nice to have the whole team working on the same case.

But UGH I hate the new opening credits. Why after two seasons do Gary and Melina suddenly have the top billing (before the main title is flashed) over the rest of the cast? None of the other CSI shows do that--not for Caruso and not for Petersen and Helgenberger. It's unnecessary and downplays the roles of the rest of the cast. And the song? Why oh why did they butcher Baba O'Riley? That was wrong, wrong, wrong. The images are nice, but where is A.J.?

Mac and the threatening phone calls. Honestly, I'm not interested yet. He gets hang up calls the same time every evening--ok, great. Wonder what would happen if he turned the ringer off. :lol: Hopefully this will get more intriguing as it's developed further.

Great to see Stella in action again last night! I love that she took down Morton and that at no point did I feel like she was being set up to be a victim or be in danger. I liked how she was in control of the situation--it didn't feel like a "lamb to the slaughter" thing like it did with Danny going in after Shane in "Raising Shane." And I love how Stella shoots the minute she has the opportunity! She rocks. :D

Continuity with "Snow Day" went out the window. Wasn't Mac only going to London for 10 days? Danny's hand sure healed fast, and Adam's burns. :rolleyes:

The spray-on condom scene was hilarious. Danny looked totally sketched out, and when Lindsay tucked it into his pocket I started laughing. If they handle the Dindsay romance like this, I think it will be fine. I, too, am glad they didn't get sappy/silly while on the webcam.

I hate Lindsay's new haircut. It makes her look like a 40-year-old soccer mom, and emphasizes the roundness of her face. It's not flattering. I think it's the bangs--she just doesn't wear them well. I liked the exchange on the phone with Adam when she was teasing him (the Denny's comment was funny), but the minute she got bossy and righteous with him, the fun stopped. As others have said, after her unprofessional behavior last season, she's got no place to talk.

Adam and Kendall didn't sleep together? Then, um, what were they doing practically naked on the couch and floor? Last time I checked, that's not how a night that doesn't include sex goes. :lol: Their banter was cute, and I liked how they tried to out-geek each other. Kendall's not quite what I expected--someone a little nerdier (a la Garcia on Criminal Minds) would be a better fit for Adam I think.

Love Hawkes' new look, but--and I keep saying this--give the man more to do! He could have been the one on the Statue instead of Danny, and then Danny could have had the cast on his hand that would have made the continuity watchers happy.

Was it just me, or was Flack gruffer in this episode? He seemed more tough NYC cop than ever, especially when he was interrogating Anthony Colton. I also noticed it when he called in reinforcements to storm Damion's place. Rawr, tough Flack is sexy! :devil:

That's about all I've got--great episode, great start to the season! :D

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'm sticking it here. I read this on Variety.com re: last night's ratings.

ETA: I just finished re-watching the ep. on CBS.com and I just noticed that in the condom spray scene, Danny's knuckles on his left hand are scraped up and he's holding a ball like the ones used for physical therapy in that hand. And I'm assuming Danny flinching when they were watching the video of the guy getting tortured was supposed to be a nod back to SD. Very subtle, but interesting.

15. Nim

Nim Pathologist

Gave it a B+.
    Nice episode, a good beginning :) a normal episode, nothing special.
    If we esclude the condom spray :lol: :lol: :lol: and the new title song. It's not bad, just something new :D