Goodbye, Paul Guilfoyle

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Ren

Ren Hit and Run

and they will be missed by those who will “fire” them. Wellner could be the next one: this season he has missed 8 episodes...
    they need some 20 something sexy vampires and two new lab rats: a Lingerie Examiner and a Sweetheart Advisor. But if they wanted younger viewer, why did they get Danson and Sue? Puzzled...

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I'm not a fan of Crawford (he went to the Langston School of how to climb the ranks fast - 1st ep he's a uniformed cop his next ep he's a detective!) but while watching last night's rerun I think it was the plan all season to end up with Crawford replacing Brass. I'm just glad that unlike on "Person of Interest" they didn't do it mid-season (Yah, I'm pissed about Carter being killed off!).

--------------------​
    Jon Wellner and David Berman are their behind-the-scenes experts. They're safe!

Personally I believe George and Jorja are "fairly" safe. To not re-sign Jorja is basically admitting they were wrong - and they aren't going to do that. Remember, they asked her back not the other way around. With George they already saw what will happen earler this season. Matt Davis didn't bring in the fans they expected him to.

Susan

3. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

While I agree that they've been setting up Crawford to take over for Brass all season (dude who plays him seems to be a Don McGill favorite), I don't see him bringing in the fans either. As I recall, the ratings tend to go up when Brass is in the episode.

If they really wanted to save some money, how about they scale back Morgan's make-up budget. That could probably keep PG around for half the season.

4. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

But doesn't Morgan have 'unrequited feelings' for Hodges? :rolleyes: Did I miss something? It has been a while since I've seen a new episode. Let the soap opera begin! These are the Days of Our CSIs...

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Lmao! That's priceless.

I'm sure CBS directed tptb to cut costs, and sadly Paul was the victim. Another move by Don McGill to cut ties with the past (ie, the glory days of CSI, the days before he took the helm).
    Ending GSR was unforgivable for me; 'retiring' PG is unconscionable. Doing whatever it takes to keep the show on the air (so CBS can maintain a steady syndication paycheck) at the expense of the people, and fans, who made it successful is just sad.

If the networks feel threatened by cable shows, it's because cable values both money AND creativity. CBS only values money; and viewers are noticing. CBS failed to launch a single successful new show this year. They continue to rely on the past, and that will eventually catch up to them if they keep renewing old shows and developing spin offs rather than focusing on creating new projects.

I'd threaten to stop watching over this latest debacle with Paul, but I haven't watched since FMN, except for the 300th, so that would be an empty threat. I don't know if CSI will suffer in the ratings next season, but I'm sure the fan base will continue to erode. Tptb don't appear to care about that. Whatever. Their loss.

I wish Paul the best. He's a class act, a true professional, an actor's actor; probably too good for CSI at this stage.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. blackflag

Today's Paul's last day on the set. Here's a couple of links to pics Shane's tweeted. :)

one
    two

(Thanks Shane. :thumbsup: )

Susan

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I think the fact that George was passionate enough about something he didn't like that he ended up getting suspended for it....yeah, I think he may be losing interest or getting fed up. And to that I say, good for him!

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

And George has hinted before he isn't happy with the writing or not making him the lead.

And he's right. Both Marg and him could have carried this show. We watch for the original cast, not the newbies. The newbies have not brought watchers with them.

We keep hearing how they want to attract younger viewers, yet bring in Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue. I like both of them, but they wouldn't bring in younger viewers.

They were better off with Marg and George in the lead and bringing in younger/newer CSIs.

We know George wanted to quit when he was suspended, so it'll be interesting to see if he renews. If he does, he better get creative control over his character, because the writers have NO CLUE on how to write for the veterans. :rolleyes:

I will so miss Paul. The show will not be the same without his snarkiness. :lol: No one will be there to be snarky anymore. :(

9. Ren

Ren Hit and Run

You’re right. i forgot to consider it. i wasn’t thinking about his behind the scene role anyway. I just thought: If the CSI team can do things without him for five consecutive episodes, It means they don’t need him...
    I agree about Jorja and George. it was just a "joke" about firing and missing; and this is the worst side of the story: fire him/her and then miss him/her, as if you got a command by a divine, supreme entity...disgusting.

10. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Agree with most of what's been said here so far. I do recall PG talked at some point about living in NYC and commuting to L.A. for the show. But that is no excuse to just write him out of the story line altogether.

The writing for the show has been substandard for some time now. Silly plot devices are created and never followed up. And long gone are the lighter "lab geek" episodes which I used to hate, but have now come to sorely miss.

11. Ren

Ren Hit and Run

i’m mumbling. And i’m puzzled. there’s something i don’t understand: why did we get the news a month and a half before the season finale airing? When Marg left, we got the news only a week before her last episode’s airing. why didn’t they wait this time? well, i assume something went wrong; something unexpected happened and they lost the control. i found this on Hollywood Reporter “The actor, who found out late last week that he wouldn't be returning to the series, made what sources say was an emotional farewell speech during Friday's final day of production on the CSI set.*“ it’ has been published on March 24. CBS News published the news on March 25. March 21 has been the final day. On March 28 they were there again, actually; but maybe not all the cast and crew members. ok: Paul got the news and talked to them.
    Maybe i’m completely wrong, but it could also explain the lack of pics about Guilfoyle’s goodbye. Only a pic with his trusted officer Larry Mitchell...It wasn’t expected now; i don't know if something "official" has been planned. Maybe a taste, a moment of truth isn’t welcome in the world of pretense.

Please be patient...two words about the pic CBS chose for the CSI renewal news: Brass and BD...the graves on the background. A frame from 1307 (Fallen Angels). wish it has been unintentional; otherwise it’s just a bad taste and rudeness matter. and a mockery.
    Forgive me for this long and confused writing...(confused? senseless?? clumsy??? may i be THE perfect CSI writer???)

12. blackflag

Last day of filming for episode 14x22 (season finale) was March 28th. Paul's last day was March 27th. On the 21st Paul and George were just finishing up filming on episode 14x21. Always remember that the media doesn't always make sure they're accurate. They may have seen just Paul and George on that set and thought it was the last day when in fact they were finishing 14x21 and starting 14x22 at the same time.

We knew in season 11 that Marg was leaving. TPTB convinced her to say until mid way through season 12 so they could write her a "proper" exit storyline. We knew at the start of season 12 that she was only going to be there for half the year. They should be working on contract talks with the cast now, last year they didn't announce show renewals without cast contracts signed ("Criminal Minds" renewal was delayed because they didn't have the cast signed.), so they reached the point where they had to tell him that they weren't bringing Brass back for season 15.
    Just remember nothing that was tweeted was "official". They were just people taking time out to snap pics. I'm pretty sure there are others that we just haven't seen. There's some bts stuff on the DVD's from when Jorja left that we never saw online as well as a whole special feature from when Marg left.

Susan

13. Ren

Ren Hit and Run

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Your English is fine. I understand what you're trying to say. The actors get their scripts in advance so they can memorize their lines. As for how Brass will actually make his exit from CSI, I don't think TPTB would be dumb enough to have him shot again. He could just quietly tell his CSI family that he's retiring from service with the LVPD. Maybe he can join Catherine at the FBI? [​IMG]

15. blackflag

Wouldn't call me an expert. I've just been a fan of "CSI" since season 5 and I've always loved behind-the-scenes stuff with tv and movies. I don't know exactly when they get scripts but what I do know is that most shows have multiple drafts of scripts and they can change right up through filming of that episode. (They can film a scene, decide it doesn't work, change it, and then film it again.)

I hope they just let Brass retire. Figuring everything that went on the end of last season/beginning of this season with his ex-wife and Ellie and the DA wanting him to testify against Ellie would have taken it's toll on him I hope they just let him retire gracefully.

Susan