"Goodbye & Good Luck" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 10, 2007.

1. thebarracuda

thebarracuda Victim

I dont like the way they have written either sara or catherine. Sara is almost too broken now to be believed and Catherine they have made a complete b*&ch. I liked the strong, confident Catherine and I loved it when she was paired up with Grissom on cases. Lots of chemistry there (and no I am not saying catherine would be better for grissom romantically speaking). I just like them together.

2. ashleycsi

ashleycsi Victim

Not to totally interupt, but wouldn't PTSD make sense for this? I actually had never thought about her leaving behing that, until reading this thread, but then i was thinking....the CSI writers say Jorja/Sara will be making guest appearances quite frequently [atleast that's what i've heard?] and that if she wants her spot back on CSI, its always waiting for her. PTSD can be her excuse to get back in "i had problems, and i got help, i miss you grissom can i have my job back?". and we all know that grissom would never turn sara away [then again...maybe he would...idk]

3. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I have so many thoughts and opinions to share to this as well, but I don't know even where to begin or if I should. I am not a fan of the whole GSR bit, but I do agree that what has been shown so far this season, has been poorly handled by the producers/writers. I can think of a hundred different ways it could have been handled, but that's me.

I also agree that the promos for the different episode thus far have been somewhat confusing and misinterpreted! Like the eppy "the case of the cross dressing carp" I believe it was were they played up the proposal scene and GSR in the promo...I almost didn't watch the eppy that week until I saw a second promo. Turned out, this whole "PROPOSAL SCENE" was maybe a minute or so long and that was it.

And this so called kiss in the lab??? It's just not right, should never happen on a professional level and I'll leave it at that!

But I am still looking forward to seeing the effect Hannah will have on Sara and the ramifications of her presence this time 'round. And I am still wondering about this argument between her and Greg. Will it even happen, and what the cause is behind the fight. My theories would be something steaming from Sara's interactions with this little menace to society, Hannah...plus of course all that post traumatic stress that seems to be building up inside.

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

:lol: umm no you can't, its called substance to your post, considering that you are giving your opinion and your thoughts that lead up to that opinion and so on. So you are safe, now breathe. :p

5. Toots

Toots Pathologist

First of all Alyssa, I'm very impressed. Not only am I impressed by your well written thoughts (though I do not agree with GSR, or that Sara should have died), but I'm impressed that your lenghty post was not deleted like mine would have been simply because I spent too long writing my thoughts out. I guess I haven't gotten the knack of figuring out how to write long posts without getting them erased because I spent too much time trying to figure out how to say it so that others understood.

The sappy music in the promo and the ridiculous GSR wuvfest on YouTube was waaaaay over-the-top and was insulting to the intelligence of the CSI fan. It was too soapy.

The most interesting scenes about the upcoming episode "Goodbye & Good Luck" to me will be why Sara and Greg fight, and will they resolve their disagreement before she takes off in the taxi with the sappy musical backgorund. I truly hope they part as friends.

6. idahomom

idahomom Hit and Run

Alyssa you rock...Thank you for capturing my thoughts. There was article that Marlon is involved in the death of a college girl. Did he do it? Did Hannah do it? Did they kill their parents? Also, Spike is replaying "Unusual Suspect." I feel I need to watch it again.

I'm GSR fan...but this has become too much for me. Too sappy. So I think the last scene, Sara turns and it Warrick in the car taking her the airport.

7. sal

sal Dead on Arrival

I'm glad Sara lived because she is one of my favorite characters but I don't like GSR much. I don't think there will be to much GSR in the eppy I have read a couple of reviews which say Jorja was excelent but don't even mention the 2 second lip brush with Grissom.

8. sal

sal Dead on Arrival

Why do you think it's warrick

9. idahomom

idahomom Hit and Run

Sara is alone in the car (or so I think). I thought Warrick b/c that doesn't make sense, or maybe it does b/c they've never had a connection like Sara does with Greg or Nick.

If we were to vote 98% would say Grissom is the last scene, 1% would say "Hank the Dog" and the other 1% would say anyone but Grissom.

I'm more interested in the creepy Hannah scenes. Another murder and missing/dead parents. As we'd say in the south (when I lived before Idaho) "that ain't right."
    How many days until Thursday?

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

K...if we're giving kudos for saying exactly what we were thinking, then mine goes to LateToTheGame. That post was dead on.

If they had shown us HOW Sara and Grissom finally got together....just what happened....what made him finally give in...then I could maybe understand it and maybe even support it.

But there was nothing. And then no reactions from the rest of the team?? Doesn't make sense at all.

And so it wouldn't make sense for them to be all weepy for Grissom when she leaves. And that's why it won't bother me. I think they'll support him as a friend, but nothing over the top. We know how he hates to be hugged. :)

They just all seem so OOC with this plot line. It's frustrating.

11. sumiko_umeko

sumiko_umeko Hit and Run

I think that Greg will try and persuade her to stay and she reaches her breaking point and takes her anger out on him. I also think that Greg won't rasie his voice to her either, he might just stand there and take it, It's just so hard to picture Greg actually getting angry and having a conflict with someone from the CSI team. It is out of his personality. If he does verbaly attack Sara, I would enjoy seeing that and I would like to see how Sara responds.

I also noticed that Wendy isn't on the Guest Cast list, and on RECURRING was Ronnie Lake/Jessica Lucas. Is this Ronnie's last episode? If not which one is the last time we see her?

12. jtbwriter2006

jtbwriter2006 Victim

I didn't see the clip with the kiss, but I hope I can look at it here at work....
    Despite the Sara-haters misgivings, I think Grissom will continue to grow and know that there's life outside the lab. He's had a taste of a real life...and there's no going back to being closed off. I do hope Sara makes up with Greg before she leaves, and that the letter or note that Grissom may or may not be reading tells him she will be back. We all need hope, and if this is the last season for CSI...we need a "Hopeful" ending!

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I wanted her to leave in the opening as well, but i don't think she had to have died for that too happen. In MY opinion dragging this out in the first 8 episodes is extremely anti-climatic and is negatively impacting this season.

Well, i disagree this didn't happen last season. There were several pointless scenes added, just for the sake of having a 'see look Grissom and Sara are in a relationship' scenes. This is what I believe the proposal scene was for. Too me, there is nothing special or unique about GSR, it is just one big chiche, or a cookie cutter relationship.

I am not. You put two unsocial people together this is what you get, a dysfunctional relationship. At least they are being true somewhat to their characters, like when Grissom left, they defiantly have communication issues. To me, this whole relationship has always been desperate and reckless. I have always seen GSR as dragging down both of their characters.

In my opinion, this is from having a forced relationship on the show. While chemistry is debatable, a lot of the GSR scenes just seemed so forced, and could have done much better to capture the chemistry (which i don't see, but others do). This is also one of the reasons I am opposed to GSR. I knew once that storyline happened, all of Sara's development, character and purpose on the show would become 'grissom's girlfriend'. I have always liked her character better when she was away from him, and this desperation to be with him has always brought her down. It just makes Sara the most pathetic woman on this planet. She even heard him tell a stranger that she wasn't worth the risk. How bad is her self esteem to wait until he decided he wanted to date her?? Good grief, obviously her problems are going to surface again, what did she expect, all her problems would disappear?? Now her whole identity is being grissom's secret girlfriend or the forbidden office affair.

Sara isn't my favorite, but I agree that this episode should highlight her, since it is her last episode. However, her character has been ruined by GSR, and now that will probably be the focus of the episode. I liked her episodes, but when they got all chiche and cheesy i didn't. Like 'empty eyes', it was just so sappy and cheesy. However, the promos can be misleading, so it might not be all GSR. Chances are they are showing all of the GSR scenes in the promos, (Which is really really stupid, now all those scenes have been ruined for GSR fans) and the cases will be front and centre.

I don't like Grissom changing overnight. Frankly it isn't the change that bothers me, but the way it was done. He used to confide in Catherine, but that was cut out in season 7. This season he is treating the others, except for sara, like crap or ignoring them. He used to hold ethics very high, but that has gone out the window. He is normal now, and everything that was unique about him has been forced out to promote GSR. I just can't respect him anymore. He didn't even get punished for breaking the rules. He has become arrogant, self righteous and down right juvenile throughout this whole thing. Willing to break rules so they could keep their relationship a secret, chasing his girlfriend down the hall at work, introducing her as his gf to an FBI agent he just met (how unprofessional), and now we have a kiss in front of everyone in the hall way at work? This all smells like a high school relationship to me.

IMHO, GSR has destroyed two great characters....and i wouldn't be surprised that this final episode with sara is going to be bad.

****NOTE I am not arguing your points are incorrect, just explaining my own opinions of your points. It is just my own opinions of the way the show is going for me.

Great post Alyssa...i think my response is just as long :lol:

14. csiemily

csiemily CSI Level One

i agree!! what i've found, mostly now... is that sara sidle isn't SARA SIDLE anymore. she's 'GRISSOM'S GIRLFRIEND'. they said they were going to highlights some of sara's finer moments and the moments i read where ALL FREAKEN GSR SCENES!! i thought this was a farwell to SARA SIDLE, not GSR?

i love snickers, and that's because i love nick and sara as individuals first, and then i love them together. but, i... all of sara's moments are with grissom. and for the farwell sara sidle video, THERE WERE NO OTHER SCENES WITH ANY OTHER CHARACTER BUT GRISSOM!! wtf is up with that?! nick, catherine, warrick, and greg are ALL gonna miss her. NOT JUST GRISSOM!! farwell sara sidle, not farwell GSR.

kinda feeling like CSI is turing into GSR.

that's the ONLY reason why i'm glad sara's leaving... grissom and sara can break up and CSI and turn back to CRIME SCENE INVESTIAGTION!!!!!!

15. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Jorja Fox's Sara Sidle leaves "CSI" Thursday night. No matter how you feel about that development, the episode is tremendous. All actors who depart long-running series should receive such heartfelt, memorable sendoffs.

The episode, titled "Goodbye & Good Luck," skillfully makes you feel Sara's disillusionment. She witnesses an eerie case of domestic abuse and remains strangely remote.

But the real crisis for Sara arrives with the return of Marlon West (Douglas Smith) and his genius little sister, Hannah (Juliette Goglia). Last time out, Marlon got away with murder with Hannah's help. This time he is implicated in a young woman's plunge from her dorm room.

In the previous case, Hannah got under Sara's skin. The show has brought back the little girl to needle Sara again. Goglia pulls off her task brilliantly.

As Sara seeks justice, the episode takes turns that are clever or harrowing. Can she finish the case?

The cinematography heightens the Sara's nightmarish estrangement. "CSI" has won fans as a smart procedural, but the show also can present the personal in vivid terms. Fox plays Sara's sadness with such wrenching and relatable feeling that this episode becomes an instant classic.