George/Nick:Texan Charm #8

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Elsie, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

Jacquie Bull was great, i would say it's my second favourite because Grave Danger still remains my favourite, not just because of Nick but mostly because being buried alive is my worst fear...i had nightmares for a while... :lol:

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, it's a clan I'd love to part of and you're right great minds DO think alike.

3. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

Ladies I have a mission for you should you choose to accept it... [cue theme music]

I remember reading in an article that the original concept for Nick's character was some rock and roll dude with a tattoo, and that he actually wore a fake tattoo in the very beginning of Season 1.
    Rumor is (I can't remember if this was in the article or if it's the stuff of urban legend) that you can actually see it sticking out from under a shirt or something.
    So I just thought since some of us are re-watching Season 1 to discuss here, I'd stick that little piece of info in your heads with the request that if anyone knows if or when the tat is visible please please share!

4. Amy777

Amy777 Rookie

I actually tried to find that, and did not have any luck. I know that the only time it could possibly by visible is at the beginning when Nick is talking with Warrick. The rest of the episode Nick had a long sleeve shirt on over the T-shirt. I can look some more and take it "frame by frame" but I am afraid that any evidence of that tattoo ended up on the cutting room floor.

I don't know what order the scenes were filmed in the pilot but, maybe it's just me, it looked like the "rocker, biker..."persona was scrapped before the end of the episode. I can see that character at the beginning when he is talking with Warrick but by the end when he sees Kristy in the ER and is kind of uncomfortable by her "display," then proceeded to take the "present" to the victim. I tend to think George Eads had slightly changed the character.

As for the last conversation, I think "Eleven Angry Jurors" was a very defining moment for Nick, it was then that he realized that pleasing Grissom to the exclusion of your own person beliefs was not all it was cracked up to be.
    There have been so many times I wish I could sit down with GE and ask him how much he has put into the character of Nick, if what we really admire about the character was his doing or the writers. That would be a really long conversation, I think.

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

bookgirl20 you forgot to say "this post will self destruct in 30 seconds." :lol:

I so agree with you. I wish we could all sit down with him! I think what we really admire about Nick was a lot of his doing and the writers combined. Well, maybe not so much at the beginning. He has said in interviews before how much he fights for the integrity of the character. I know he hated the storyline with Kristy, where he slept with her and he didn't like how Nick was molested at nine-years old either. He fought to have those storylines changed, but didn't win. As the show was more successful and they producers and writers found he could actually act (he wasn't just a "good looking stud") they started to listen him.

Now, though, I know the actors and writers collaborate a lot and that the writers, producers, directors really listen to what the the actors say. George mentioned in another interview about dialogue between Nick and Catherine. Where Catherine asked him if he has a problem with female supervisors, anyways, he think what was written wasn't right, that Nick wouldn't say what was written. They listened to him and the writers changed it.

I think he draws some of Nick from his real dad. That would definitely be a question I'd asked. His dad being a DA and in law enforcement, George had a unique perspective into that life that the other actors lacked. I mean he saw what his dad and others in law enforcement went through and how it affected them. He grew up with it, it's such a part of him in real life, I truly believe that a lot of what George puts into Nick comes from this.

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

It would be interesting to see what the tattoo looked like. I remember reading somewhere that George respects people who choose to have tattoos but I got the feeling that he was not going to be joining the line to get one. That may explain why we never saw it in the pilot. It probably ended up the same place as the make out scene with Catherine.

I also agree with what's been said about GE growing up around all the law enforcement people. You learn to respect them. Some of the things that have happened to George when he was younger had to have effected him also. Hells Angels coming to your door when you're alone with Mom and the gun being pointed at you during a robbery. Those have had to have some impact. I can't remember if the Hells Angels incident involved guns or not.

I truly wish that George would sit down with CSI Files or even do a on line chat with talk.csi. It would be very interesting. Though I think we would have to draw the line at some of the personal questions that have been asked. Boxers or briefs. Does it matter?

eta I forgot to say stokesgirl welcome to the clan :)

7. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

GE is one of the only reasons why myself and others who are in law enforcement actually like the show (cuz lord know we certainly are not that good looking, nor do we wear designer duds to work!)...because he is so real with his reactions and the way the character is affected by what goes on around him. He gets angry at the bad guys, feels for the victims and expresses disgust over the "system" as we all do every day.

The job definitely changes you, and you can see that progression of change from the first season to now through the character of Nick. He is the only character I can point to and say there has been real change over the years. The others have remained somewhat static, though they are still dynamic characters. With Nick you really get to see someone who started the career with the "I can help save the world" attitude, as we all did, only to reach a point (say right around Fannysmackin') where you start to realize that no matter how hard you try to fix things and make a difference, people are still going to hurt each other. You hit a brick wall of sorts and begin to question why you even got into the job in the first place. Then the pendulum swings back yet again, and you start to move forward, though with a new understanding of the job and the fact that you are important, but will not save the world. That's when you finally start to feel comfortable and a little at peace. I see Nick in that place now...at peace with all that has been thrown his way, and now able to step into more of a leadership role. One where he can begin to help other co-workers through what he has worked through for 8 seasons.

On a side note...I could barely watch the dog epi. That was a little too graphic for me.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

So I'm at the gas station today and I was on empty, so I had a long wait. Anyways, I had the CSI Magazine in my car and while my tank was filling up, I was thinking, hmmmmm, why not read the George Eads article again. And lo and behold, he was talking about that exact thing. So I'm thinking bookgirl this is where you might have read it.

He said it took three hours to put the tattoo on and it is barely visible in the Pilot. So it looks like it didn't end up on the cutting room floor. We really going to have to look for it.

Thanks jacquie I'm glad and excited to be part of the clan.

Alright, I'm at work and it's going to be a horrible day. We're already having server problems. :mad:

So I'll be back later to continue this discussion. Then I can read better what jacquie and mcstokes said. This has been a great discussion. :D

9. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

Man I was really going to too! I just forget since I had to spell check that I spelled tattoo right (it just looked all wrong!)

Speaking of that specific plot line....I found this somewhere recently and almost passed out. It's probably been around since forever but its new to me!

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I remember reading it too, but I don't have the magazine (yet!) so that's not where I saw it. Hmmmm. Okay, I'll be back! Gotta go watch the pilot. Slooowwwwllly. :D

11. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I went back and watched the Pilot and I couldn't see any tattoo. Now I didn't watch it as slooowwwwy as Smokey said she was going to do though. But it was good Nick time well spent :)

12. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Agreed! :D The only possibility I could see was when he and Warrick were talking and as Warrick walked away and there was a (ahem!) full body shot of Nick, just below his right sleeve you can kind of see something that wasn't there in earlier shots where it's down a little farther. Could be a shadow, but if he says you can see it, that's the only thing I came up with. And yeah, it was fun looking. ;)

13. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

Ok so the tattoo remains a Nick urban legend- we were told it exists but no one can find evidence. Kind of like sasquatch :D

So what do we think Nick would have a tatoo of? I know it was for the rock and roll persona, and not really who Nick ended up being but it does cause a Ward girl's mind to wander.

14. OnlyTruth

OnlyTruth Pathologist

I guess the lore is that it was a single, "regular" tat, but in my fantasy world I would have liked it to be one of those tribal arm band things - really highlight that beautiful bicep.

15. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

*LOL* he probably would have "Mom" in a heart on his beautiful bicep! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.