Gas..How Much are you paying???

I remember people talking about tax being high as 73% of gasprice when I was younger but I'm not sure...
It's just not the gas... high tax in everything.

You should come and live in 'Rip-off Britain' :lol: Everyone always says we're the most taxed country :lol: (for everything)

Wow. That's a lot of tax. In the US we don't have as much tax as you guys. I know in my state, the tax for fuel is like 7%, sales tax (on things like clothing, toys, just normal stuff you buy... toothpaste, etc.) is 7% and there's an alcohol tax that's a little extra but not much. I think 2% or something. Sales tax varies from state to state. We also pay an income tax and a property tax but that's about it.

Last week gas was $3.09 a gallon but it dropped this week to $2.89 a gallon. The premium stuff is 20 cents higher, :eek:

I remember 5 years ago we were only paying 99 cents a gallon so now it seems like it is extremely high. Here in West Virginia our tax on gas is 40 or 45cents per gallon. That doesn't help the prices. :mad:

Do people in Europe drive as much as we do? I don't want to sound stupid or anything but does everybody drive to work or do they take buses, subways, etc? Here we drive everywhere. Thank goodness my car gets about 35 miles to the gallon and I only have to fill up once a week which right now costs about $32.00 but I only drive roughly 500 miles a week. :D

It's back down to about $2.92 a gallon on average here now, last week it had gotten as high as $3.35. :( Hopefully it will continue to drop.

Wow. That's a lot of tax. In the US we don't have as much tax as you guys. I know in my state, the tax for fuel is like 7%, sales tax (on things like clothing, toys, just normal stuff you buy... toothpaste, etc.) is 7% and there's an alcohol tax that's a little extra but not much. I think 2% or something. Sales tax varies from state to state. We also pay an income tax and a property tax but that's about it.

we have P.S.T. and G.S.T. the GST is 8% across the board. PST varies province to province. But not everything falls under the Goods & Services Tax. A new house, new car, a buttered bagel gets GST. A donut, and most food products are not susceptible to GST. It's so confusing.

Gas has it all. :mad: The prices are down around 109.8 and 110.7. What's sad, is that it looks cheap. *sigh*

You should come and live in 'Rip-off Britain' :lol: Everyone always says we're the most taxed country :lol: (for everything)

You have not. We are damnit. You brits just don't know where Finland is and that's why call yourself as the most taxed country :p
(I've seen BBC pic where they've added "Sweden" above Finland so HA!)

What..in UK... VAT with food is...erm.. 0%? Here it's 17%..was actually 22% but they reduced it to 17%

With cars it's 29-30%

And you know what was the last point where this came up? World Championships in Athletics in Finland. Winners get money, right?
WEll, our tax system took 15% of those money :lol:

Now back to gasprice... damn Brits trying to get ahead of us :p

I don't think ANYONE pays more tax than us norwegians! :lol:
We are currently paying $7,5 per gallon.. It's insane!

Goooshh. Went to the Eden Project and all of the garages were 99.9pence. Honestly that .9 pence makes a lot of difference. :lol: Anyway it means that we're at 6.95819255/gallon. Tomorrow if it rises by another 0.1 penny, it'll be 7 dollars/gallon. :p

Ahhha! Then it'll rise much more because there'll be protests to stop the gas coming in the country. Apparently. :p

...Eh. I don't think we're that taxed in Britain, Wibble. ALMOST everything is cheap here. :p

...Eh. I don't think we're that taxed in Britain, Wibble. ALMOST everything is cheap here. :p

Like what? :p

You know, this 'rip-off Britain' thing reminds me of my A level Economics - I remember we did some lessons on why cars are so expensive in Britain compared to the rest of the EU, etc. My A level Economics could actually come in useful here :lol: ..... just don't get me started on the price of coffee beans :D

Anyway, back to gas prices - if prices get any more expensive over here I'm gonna buy electric car when I leave Uni :devil: :lol: I even know someone who has solar-powered car :D (but it's tiny) I can't believe it's nearly 7 dollars a gallon here now :eek: my brother was complaining about it when he got home from work this evening, because he had to fill up today.

But think about it. Here 1.5litres soda costs 2.60€

DVDs... If I look at amazon.co.uk or play.com ...even you add VAT (which is 22%) and other stuff, it's still cheaper than it is in here :p

Ah well, I was so happy to see 95€ under 1.40 when I drove by gasstation this morning :lol:

Back