Gary Sinise Fan Project: Operation Iraqi Children

MrsGiovinazzo

CSI Level Three
With the Melina and Eddie project submission periods over, it’s time to fire up a new round of fan projects. Gotta make sure everyone feels the love. This project for Gary is an excellent one and is feenx’s brainchild. I am simply starting the thread in accordance with our policy that only CSI:NY mods start project threads. This is feenx’s baby though, so please direct all questions and comments to her.

Most of you know that Gary co-founded a fantastic charity -- Operation Iraqi Children. You can read more about it at www.operationiraqichildren.org. His charity enables people to assist American troops in establishing decent schools for Iraqi children. Their conditions are horrible and they lack the basic educational supplies most of us take for granted.

The best way to show support for Gary is to support his charity. Sure, some of you may want to jump him (God knows why -- surely he’s as old as your dads :lol:), but given the point in life he’s at, any sort of, “Hey, you’re still pretty hot for an old dude”-type project probably wouldn’t mean a whole lot to him. What would mean something to him is to support a cause that’s important enough to him that he would take steps to effect change.

How can you help? You can send school supply kits to feenx. She will gather together all the kits she receives and ship them to Operation Iraqi Children as one big CSI Files school kit drive. The way that works is that she will ship them to Kansas City and then Operation Iraqi Children has an alliance with FedEx and People to People International that covers the international shipping.

The contents of each school kit must be exactly as specified by Operation Iraqi Children and cannot contain additional items. You can certainly feel free to send as many kits as you can, but each kit needs to contain exactly what is one this list:

* One pair of blunt end scissors
* One 12-inch ruler with metric markings
* 12 new pencils with erasers
* One small pencil sharpener
* One large eraser
* One box of colored pencils (crayons melt in the Iraqi heat)
* One package of notebook paper
* One composition book
* Three folders with inside pockets
* One zippered pencil bag

While it may look like there are a lot of items on this list, these are all inexpensive items that you can often find on sale. If you want Iraqi children to grow up with any hope of being well-educated enough to wile away their days on the internet discussing how hot their favorite actor is, as so many of you do, please help them learn to read and write.

You may be thinking this is fine and well, but how will Gary even know about this project or know you’re supporting him? When you send your school kits to feenx, please include a card for Gary. Tell him you’re such a huge fan of his work that you’re supporting his charity or that you absolutely adore him or whatever you want. Feenx will gather the cards together into a scrapbook and send it to Gary.

To send feenx your school kits and cards for Gary, please PM her for her address.

The deadline to submit these items is December 22nd. You can send one kit; you can send 100 kits. Send however many you are able to. Please participate on any level.

This is not about whether you support the war in Iraq or what you think of American soldiers in Iraq. This is a nonpartisan way to support one of your favorite actors by supporting a cause important to him. It’s always so inspiring to see a celebrity put their good fortune and exposure to use in a positive manner. The guy could be sitting at home counting his cash, but he’s not. He’s an advocate for something he believes in and if you believe in him, please help.

Thanks MrsG for getting this started.
Yes, please participate! You can also send letters to the children and soldiers in Iraq.
As for those who can’t send me a kit you can still write Gary a message you can either e-mail it to me at feenx86@aol.com or snail mail, pm for address. If still have any questions pm.
Where are the Taylor Girls??? Time show your love.

Great! I've been waiting to participate in a Gary project! I think I'll write him a message since I can't send him a kit because I live outside the US.

I'm excited for this project. I've always thought that is a worthwhile charity, but never got off my butt to send anything. Now I will. Thanks to feenx. :D

Oooh, I really like this project! Yay feenx for doing it, and I think it's a great charity and a great way to help.

Hey, I want to participate, too!

I don't know about sending kits as I live outside of the US. I'll see if I can gather letters for the Iraqi children and snail mail them.

Thanks for putting this up, feenx!

I am so in! Normally I'm cheap as hell but when it comes to supporting children I'd spend every last minute. Knowing I'm doing something good makes me feel all fuzzy inside. The long deadline gives me plently of time to get enough cash for everything. This is gonna be one awesome project!

Awwwwwww, this project makes my heart asplody. In a good way, of course. :lol:

Wow, I'm not sure how I'm going to get a package from Malaysia all the way to the US without it costing a bomb. The items listed are very cheap here, but shipping ... hmmmm. I'm gonna have to look into that.

Forgot to metion to please use discretion in choosing your supplies. Avoid items that are religious, depict war or conflict, or are strongly gender or age specific. Please be sensitive to the fact that you are sending items into a culture less exposed to television and video games, and under emotional strain.
Also pack only the listed supplies in a backpack or in a 2-gallon sized zipper seal plastic bag. :D Thanks.

I don't know about sending kits as I live outside of the US. I'll see if I can gather letters for the Iraqi children and snail mail them.
Cool :D and don't forget the soilders who will deliver these packages, I have friends and relatives over at Iraq figthing in the war.

Awww, feenx!! Since my mind is too dirty to have contributed to teh Eddie project, I'm going to definitely participate in this one. You rock!!

I think this project is awesome. I always wanted to contribute to a worthy charity, especially around Christmas time. I'm definitely in on this one.

Back