"Fracked" Discussion **SPOILERS**

I have a mixed feelings about this episode.
I'm personaly very interested about enviromental themes (and actually study the field), and it's great that CSI handles these kind of themes. I'm hoping that maybe these kind of episodes actually make some people more aware about the envirometal problems we have in the world.
But if I forget the enviromental theme for a while, the rest of the episode wasn't that interesting. I just finished watching it about, uh, 20 minutes ago and I'm already starting to forget the finer details. Considering how much good episodes we've had these season, I have to say this is one of my least favorites.

Some other thoughts:
-Really starting to like Sachoff's character. She seems to fit in the team well.
-everyone seemed to get equal screetime again
-all the guest stars were really good. I especially liked that reporter (though I can't remember her name:lol:)

This episode was alright. Not great, just alright.

It was WAY too much like Erin Brokovich, for me. Although I did laugh when Ecklie told Cath that she's "not Erin Brokovich". I wanted to retort "no, but she was in it!". :lol:

I'm really liking Det. Reed. Oh yes, I must see more of her. :devil:

Nothing else really stood out to me. Everyone had great screen time.

The only complaint I have is with Ray's throw away line about how fracked sounds like a "sci-fi expletive". It sounded so forced, like the writers wanted to make sure that we knew that they knew about 'frakked'. It would have been so much better had they not referenced the show that made Sackhoff famous. Just the fact that they had her in this ep was enough of a silent nod. Nice going spelling out the joke, writers. :rolleyes:

It was better than "Pool Sharks" but still pretty weak. Meh.

Last edited:
It was an ok episode, not one of my faves though.

A little too much like Cross dressing carp episode, neither pollution case was resolved.

I liked the Eric Brockovich comment, it was funny. Right before that I said to my husband "Doesn't this remind you of Eric Brockovich?"

Enjoyed the interaction between Nick and Greg.

I'm still on the fence about the new detective.

I liked Frankie. She was funny.

I enjoyed her interaction with Nick. They work well together. I hope there's a lot more scenes with them.

I didn't care for this one at all.
A current topic, but way too preachy and predictable (although the explosion was kinda cool and unexpected).
Too much of it seemed awkward and forced to me, including the gore and all the references: The Godfather, Erin Brockovich, BSG (fracked).
Seems to me that exploding water wouldn't be hard to prove as a health hazard, even without the cancer angle.
I guess the comparison to Erin Brockovich was inevitable, but Catherine was the CSI crusading in TCOTCDC, so a reference to that case would have seemed appropriate. Wasn't she ready to risk her job for that? IDK, maybe it would have been better if Catherine was more engaged with this case than Ray.
Yep, too much Ray, and no Sara.
Ray has a cousin in Ohio connected to a water contamination case? Of course he does. :rolleyes: Seems like he should have known what 'fracking' is then.
I did like the actress who played the reporter.
I'm not a fan of Katee so far; her 'red' hair is distracting (whose idea was that?). But, I didn't like her much in 24 either.
Worst episode of the season, IMO. Good idea, poor execution.

ETA: It seems to me that by not focusing more on Catherine in this episode, they missed an opportunity for a great exit storyline for Marg's inevitable departure.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the episode, it probably wasn't one I'd want to re-watch, but I did like it.

Although I can't believe a company could get away with polluting the water like that - and Ecklie wanted them to just ignore it?

A little too much like Cross dressing carp episode, neither pollution case was resolved.
Ohh yeah, I forgot about that epi. Maybe that's why I thought it reminded me of Erin Broc. because that episode reminded me of Erin Broc. back then.
Is this the same writer who wrote "Pool Shark"? Because this is the second time this season they've pulled the whole "girl in a pool slaps male companion thinking he grabbed her butt when it was actually a DB touching her" only this time it was in a spring instead of a pool.
:guffaw:I watched that scene and couldn't help thinking, "Really, CSI? There just happens to be a spring near Las Vegas that just happens to be the local make-out joint for teenagers/twenty somethings with nothing to do that also has a DB floating in it." I couldn't help but wonder if these guys had to be legally retarded to not notice a DB in a spring. The spring wasn't that big.:wtf:
- Bummed at no Jorja appearance.

- I'm still conflicted on Det. Reed's character. She still reminded me too much of Riley (and her bottle-red hair annoys me), but her "I've got point. Don't shoot me in the ass" comment was hilarious.
No Jorja=very sad AFIS. I agree about Reed's hair color. It's like she's trying to be literally the firecracker of the group. She would look absolutely fab. as a brunette. Det. R. is growing on me though but I'm still going to hold out final judgement. She meshes well with Nick which is nice to see and I would love to see her do some interrogations but she hasn't really been seen with the rest of group yet.

Random question, when did Catherine start calling Ecklie, Conrad? Conrad just sounds so lame compared to the epicness that is Ecklie.:lol:

Random question, when did Catherine start calling Ecklie, Conrad? Conrad just sounds so lame compared to the epicness that is Ecklie.:lol:

I think she's referred to him as 'Conrad' off and on throughout the whole series. I can't think of any specific episodes though. I pretty sure she's called him that before.

Not my favorite episode but not my least favorite. It's sorta in the middle. :lol: I did like it better than The Case of the Crossdressing Carp, tho.

It did have it's good points - like Det. Reed telling Nick not to shoot her in the a** and Nick's "That's my goat" line. :lol: Also like Doc and Cath talking about what to get his wife for her 50th b-day. :)

If it was my choice I think I't rather have our bomb expert than Det. Reed at this point. :( Maybe I'll change my mind...

Nick did get to be a little bit of a teacher there in the beginning with Ray. It's always nice to see that there are some (little!) things that Ray still has to learn.

It's nice to see that "fracked" has a meaning outside of the sci-fi world. :lol:

I think she's referred to him as 'Conrad' off and on throughout the whole series. I can't think of any specific episodes though. I pretty sure she's called him that before.

Catherine seems to be with Ecklie the way Nick is with Brass. She calls him Conrad when she's talking directly to him and Ecklie when she's talking to someone else about him. Nick's the same way with Brass - you can go back to the first season and he's calling him Jim when he talks directly to him and Brass when he's talking to someone else about him.

Susan

Anyone else love the reference to Fraking.. given Katee Sackhoff's appearance on the show?

When Ray was asked if he knew what fracking was, he said "sounds like a sci-fi expletive to me." .. thanks for the kudos to BSG guys!!

I like Katee Sackhoff on BSG. Sara Sidle has always been my favorite character but she doesn't have as meaty as a role as she used to and the show needs someone with personality and fire. LOVE Starbuck (still miss BSG) and love Katee with red hair!

Catherine seems to be with Ecklie the way Nick is with Brass. She calls him Conrad when she's talking directly to him and Ecklie when she's talking to someone else about him. Nick's the same way with Brass - you can go back to the first season and he's calling him Jim when he talks directly to him and Brass when he's talking to someone else about him.

You are right about that! :) I've noticed it too.

I may have to watch this one again, but it definitely bored me...the case part, that is. I liked the character parts. I, too, was reminded of the carp episode, which I didn't care for either.

But it's pretty darned cap-able. :D

That's very true. I think every time Catherine has had a one-to-one with Ecklie, she's called him Conrad. I believe the first time we heard it was season 1 "Boom". If I remember correctly, Catherine is the only one other than Grissom to call Doc Robbins, Al.

Line of the night: "Catherine you are a crime scene investigator, NOT Erin Brockovich."

I don't know how long I laughed at that comment. :guffaw:

Second best line: "I'm on point, don't shoot me in the ass."

Everything else was just...meh. Way to much like The Case of the Cross Dressing Carp.

To bad they didn't have a better episode for Katee. I do like her though. I think she is a bit of a wise-ass but she plays well with others.

Everything else was just...meh. Way to much like The Case of the Cross Dressing Carp.

That was my problem with it too. It felt very unoriginal. Not only was it a similar issue to the carp episode, but I'm pretty sure CSI M did an episode about a big corp polluting farms (only IIRC Horatio found a way to 'get' them)
Then there's the whole Erin Brockovich thing. It just felt like I'd seen it all before.

Just rewatched this, and the "toxic poisioned water, shades of "Eric Brokovich" agian.. My summary of this~

Brass, Ray & Super Dave and Nick finding the dead body in tainted water.. so gross. Ray: "It can give you a beautiful complexion" Brass: "yeah his complexions has really improved. Gawd Ray is sexy, and looks great in jeans:p
Going over the wounds Nick: "How'd he get out here"? Ray: "And who was with him'?

Ray taking water samples and him and Nick working together again.. so cool~

Doc and Cath with the banter about what he should get his wife for her B-say. Cath suggesting diamonds, with Doc saying "How about metal earrings"? Cath: "Oh come on Doc you can say gold" Them going over the body riddled with disease, "our friend didn't die in that spring". Cath runs fingerprints and finds out it's Walter Burns who lived on a ranch in Cable Springs.~

Greg finds phone records to the Editor/Publisher Rosalind, Ray and Brass interogate her, but she dummies up on info. "Brass: "Your source Walter Burns was found dead last night" Arguing banter back and forth. Ray is suspicious and how her narrows his eyes down and cocks his head, damn he's good:thumbsup:

Archie [good to see him again, he's so cute] Nick finds cartridge~

Nick and Frankie, why is she on this show? She to me is not attractive, awful acting and a snippy attitude a kinda of clone of Riley:(& no chemistry what-so-ever between her and anyone:rolleyes:They find Richard in amonst the trash.~

Go see wife she stats "Richard had been on edge for weeks", but due to disclousure agrrement couldn't say anything, or reval anything. Then she shows Nick a dead goat head that was left on her front porch GROSS:wtf:

Doc and Ray going over the head, and t had the same medical lesions that had killed Walter. Ray: "Why would you leave an infected goats head on someones porch" Doc: "I'll take this one, I've seen the "Godfather" 11 times, it's a message it's not a horse, but hey times are tough"times:lol:

Nick, Archie, Greg same goat..

Nick Ray, and whats-her-face go out to Mr. Gibsons place poor sad man who had tried everything and could get no ones attention at the end of his rope. Has a gun Reed tells him to drop it, a confrontation ensues about his once "sweet water" and they listen and how nobody cares Ray: "we care" the company "Conservo" paid him $50,000 for his mineral rights but then his wife died his last animal died and he was done, He knew that Conservo was poisioning the water and Walter was getting the proof, then he drops a match into a well of sorts and yet another explosion. [these are getting quite frequent lately] Poor guy is burnt to a crisp.:(

Ray, Nick and Greg and Ray telling them about a river in Ohio wher the river didn't flow just oozed. The Nick goes 'I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but, and Ray says the same thing back then turns on the water spigot and it lights on fire, had methane mixture in it.

Ray and Rosalind She tells him that "You figured out what we all knew for a year" and tells Ray about FRACKING which he looks up, a complicated process, which I'm not posting here way too long. Doc and Hodges about chemicals case the body to break down.`

Enter Icky Ecklie isn't he a pleasant guy?:klingon: won't concede about anything "Your not Erin Brockovich", how apropos beings Marg played in that movie so long ago~And to Ray who goes "The water is the crime" Ecklie: "It's not Chinatown" So the two dead guys were going to reveal what they'd found and were killed Cath: "Issue the warrant Conrad"~

The go to the company find evidence one line that made me laugh was Nick "OK Hoss, you take all the time you need" find a shred of cloth on the fence~

Brass and Ecklie Brass: "Your going to let some corporate lawyers tell us what to do" "Ecklie: "No, I'm telling you"

Ray and Rosalind talk she's dying too. She found proof that Conservo had documents and "I believed on person could change the world" Ray says "Without hard proof Conservo Solutions will bury you" "She goes "I'm not afraid anymore, I don't have much to lose" Ray says "Maybe I can help, a friend is starting a clinic she's left a spot open for you" She takes the envelope & walks away. He's sitting on a bench. what a sweet, kind gesture;)

Last edited:
Back