Forensic Science Trivia Game!

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by CSI3, May 5, 2005.

1. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Let me see if I can re-phrase the question for everyone.

Actually, ShuryuiCSI, you are close, but they need to be grouped into a particular 'type'. Velocity is blood spatter, but what does velocity mean? (hint: Project) that would be one 'group' of types of blood spatter. (Projected) There are 4 more 'types'.

Does this help everyone? Sorry if it is confusing! I can do another question if everyone wants?

2. Barbarella

Barbarella Lab Technician

Five? I thought there was only three - passive, transfer and projected. Unless you count aspirated, impact or cast-off but those should fall under projected shouldn't they?

3. never_a_promise

never_a_promise Pathologist

I thought that there were only four types:
    Forward
    Back
    Cast-off
    Drip

4. draig_goch

draig_goch Lab Technician

Its really confusing :confused:
    There are three major groups of blood patterns
    1) Passive which has three sub catagories
    a) Passive Drop - Bloodstain drop(s) created or formed by the force of gravity acting alone.
    b) Drip Pattern - A bloodstain pattern which results from blood dripping into blood.
    c) Flow Pattern - A change in the shape and direction of a bloodstain due to the influence of gravity or movement of the object.
    2)Projected which has 7 sub catogories
    a) Low Velocity Impact Spatter (LVIS) - A bloodstain pattern that is caused by a low velocity impact\force to a blood source.
    b) Medium Velocity Impact Spatter (MVIS) - A bloodstain pattern caused by a medium velocity impact\force to a blood source. A beating typically causes this type of spatter.
    c) High Velocity Impact Spatter (HVIS) - A bloodstain pattern caused by a high velocity impact\force to a blood source such as that produced by gunshot or high-speed machinery.
    d) Cast-Off Pattern - A bloodstain pattern created when blood is released or thrown from a blood-bearing object in motion.
    e) Arterial Spurting (OR Gushing) Pattern - Bloodstain pattern(s) resulting from blood exiting the body under pressure from a breached artery.
    Back Spatter - Blood directed back towards the source of energy or force that caused the spatter.
    Expiratory Blood - Blood that is blown out of the nose, mouth, or a wound as a result of air pressure and/or air flow which is the propelling force.
    3) which has 2 sub catogories
    a) Wipe Pattern - A bloodstain pattern created when an object moves through an existing stain, removing and/or altering its appearance.
    b) Swipe Pattern - The transfer of blood from a moving source onto an unstained surface. Direction of travel may be determined by the feathered edge.

Wow how confusing is that :confused:

5. CHILI_PEPPERS

CHILI_PEPPERS Pathologist

wow!that is a bit confusing lol!

6. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

OK I think that I have confused people with my question. I will put in here what I was going after, sorry!

The five Pattern types of bloodstain pattern recognition are:
    1. Passive patterns- Flow, pool, saturation, drip/drop, volume

2. Projected patterns- Intrumental, expirated, arterial spurt/gush

3. Impact patterns- blood splashes, object splashes, drops, drips, trails, object impacts

4. Impression patterns- transfer, contact, swipe, wipe, secondary

5. Artifactual patterns- voids, fly spots, insect/bug trails, bubbles, blood (dried, skeletonized, separated)

It was a bad question, now that I think about it, would everyone like another question, or have me pick the most correct one?

7. draig_goch

draig_goch Lab Technician

go on post another I think alot of people got cofused on that one I know I did i nearlly wrote an essay on it lol :lol: Just for curiosity who was most right :confused:

8. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Everyone who answered did well, but I will post another question, this time not as confusing for everyone.

What is a contrecoup contusion?

9. Barbarella

A contrecoup contusion is a brain contusion opposite of a point of impact. A victim falls and hits his/her head and suffers an injury at the point of impact - during autopsy, another injury is found opposite where no external injury is found. (I'm hoping this little ramble makes sense, it's late and I need to sleep ;) )

10. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Barbarella , you are correct! The next question is yours :)

11. Barbarella

Woohoo! :D

Ok - what is forensic palynology?

12. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

You know we just discussed this is class today, so I am going to let someone else answer instead. It gives others a chance to use their forensic skills :)

13. never_a_promise

Forensic Palynology is the study of pollen and powedered minerals.

14. Barbarella

Correct! (It includes spore evidence as well.)

Your turn!

15. never_a_promise

What is Conoscopic Holography?