Flack # 7 - Everybody Loves A Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not this season, that's for sure. But the writers do recycle their ideas so there's a chance it may be explored next season. Which would make me very happy. :)

I hope they do it, i'm guessing that it isn't explored in season 3 then... i'm a bit behind (UK).

It should be explored, i have yet to meet a person that doesn't like Flack, so it would definitely be an episode that all would enjoy. What makes Flack, Flack, as it were. You think of all the episodes you really enjoy or are quite dark you usually find Flack has a great deal of input.

ALthough i also agree that perhaps we've gone too far along to bring his father into it now. Unlike Danny, Don Flack Jr's past is not mentioned, he doesn't say "yeah I know this guy, not only have i brought him in a dozen times, but my ol' man did too". Nor do we ever hear what makes his father a NYPD Legend, Maybe the writers have left us viewers wondering so long what possible amonintiy there is between them and what could make Don Flack Sr a legend, that TPTB could never create a story that would satisfy an audience.

Or maybe these are the drunken (yes a hour ago i was in the pub with some work colleagues) ramblings of a woman who would actually like to know what man they could possibly bring in that would be good looking enough to play his father!!? :lol:

Agreed. A storyline dealing with Flack's relationship with his father would be great. Admittedly, it's something of an old staple, but if done well ...

That all of this speculation stems from two lonely lines of dialogue, apropos of nothing, in a first season episode, probably says a lot about the level of interest in Flack himself. Hopefully, the writers will pay attention and gives us something, dammit!

A character like Captain Gerrard could be used to lead back into it. It would be entirely possible that Flack may have known him as a kid and called him Uncle. :devil:

penguinpie said:
A character like Captain Gerrard could be used to lead back into it. It would be entirely possible that Flack may have known him as a kid and called him Uncle. :devil:

Actually that is so ture, there must be officers/detectives/captains/cheifs maybe even a commissioner that would know Flack Sr and Flack Jr and give us some insight so they can ease us into his Father and the history surrounding their relationship...

Well here's hoping!

Maybe they could have a storyline of how Flack Jr. became a cop mainly because his dad did. and then that could lead into a whole pick the lab ot the badge thing. I dont know, i was just thinkin...
ooooooo I can just see Flack Jr. gettying all flustered at daddy, omg!! i'm happy now!! :lol: :rolleyes:

I would love to see this avenue explored as i've said in previous posts, its a shame they didn't explore it in Season 2 like he suggested it might be, we're all still on tenderhooks about it.

I'd like to see the tension between Flack and his Father, i would imagine his father is hard on him, doesn't really respect him but did expect him to go into the police force and follow in his footsteps, i also imagine that his father is perhaps a little jealous of his son, after all for the boy who likes to remind people that he only got a high school diploma (nothing wrong with that - all i got!) he has showed us in (necrophilia Americana, with Danny and the golfing substances)that he can get science. His father probably critisises it as they didn't need all that stuff in his day, they relied on gut instinct.Also i wonder what his father would make of Flacks involvement in two officers arrests. Flack also shows alot of humility and respect towards people (although he isn't always so forth coming) i always imagine he gets that from his mother.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

^I wonder if Flack ever feels insecure around the CSIs, intellectually speaking at least. Like you say, Flack brings up to Stella in "Trapped" that he's only got a high school diploma, and he kind of snarks at Hawkes about the DNA vs. RNA thing in "Sleight out of Hand." I wonder if he feels somewhat apart from the CSIs when they get deep down into the science thing. What do you guys think?

I occasionally think that sometimes he feels he has to defend himself or point out his lack of knowledge. He does it in Season one with Aiden in (tri-borough?) but in a jokey way, but i do think he is a very confident person, I feel (i have to say i haven't seen SOOH but i have seen the scene) he is confident enough to point it out, in some cases in a way that tells them to speak plain english - Stella in trapped, he isn't nasty about it, but if its washing powder and bleach, i think he is of the opinion then they should just say that instead of giving the scientific name. Althogugh i think with Danny in NA he didn't mind (probably cos it was Danny) as he got to show off a bit, in youngblood when he talks about the GSR on the door handle... he does get it, and he himself shows off about it, but i think he likes to make the point that just cos you know it and he doesn't necessarily, it doesn't make them a better cop/person than him - I don't think he would let it bother him too much. He has a lot of respect for the team and my guess would be he expects that back...

Sometimes Flack is so confident it borders on obnoxious, i love it :D, he isn't afraid to say it, in some cases he says what the audience is thinking.

I think that he knows that he doesn't have the same type of knowledge that they have but he still knows that he knows things they don't. (wow that sounds confusing)
He doesn't know the scientific stuff but he is good at knowing the bad guy. I don't think it bothers him. He gives them a hard time about getting all technical on him (like with Aiden and Stella) but I think it is more his personality than him being insecure. It reminds me of the very first CSI. When the CSI team showed up at the scene the officers called them the geek squad or something like that.
Plus, I don't think there is really anyone who makes Flack insecure. He is very confident when it comes to his job.

Hmmm, I don't think he's all that intimidated or insecure about any knowledge gap between himself and the CSIs. On the whole, he probably feels that they do their thing, he does his, and its all good. I think he understands a lot of what they go on about, in general terms anyway. People rattling off chemical compounds, like that's supposed to mean something, would make anyone roll their eyes a bit.

In neither Trapped nor the ep with Aiden, did it really appear to bother him. If anything, I think he'd rather they just got to the point. He can put up with technobabble because it kind of amuses him, I think.

As to 'Sleight of Hand', I think he was more bothered by being essentially brushed off by Hawkes. And reacted to the first thing that came to mind. I have to say, Hawkes seems to have been surprisingly mean about it. Still, Flack knew that RNA and DNA were related but not the same, so I don't think he's totally clueless. :)

Other posters have said that Flack is touchier this year and more volatile. Maybe it's all one and the same; a bit of lingering PTSD making him feel less confident in himself generally. :rolleyes: God forbid, that the writers should ever reference such a traumatic event in anyway. [end sarcasm]

It would be very interesting for the character that the writers remember the bombing in the last season. It's almost impossible that Flack don't have any kind of trauma after that.
Maybe in the last episodes of this season they show something, if not, it would be a very big script mistake. He was in a bomb explosion, that almost killed him. He shoud have those scary looking scars, so he should remember everyday the hell he lived. I don't mean he should be hidden in his house ar something like that, just that his living should be altered somehow after that.

It's almost impossible that Flack don't have any kind of trauma after that.
Agreed. TPTB could have developed a really good storyline from that like Miami did with Delko. They could have had some drama for Flack. We need more of Flack and A REAL STORYLINE, not as a prop for Gary Sinise. :lol: He could have died and he should have at least a few signs of Post Traumatic Disorder. It's only natural. It must have at least... changed something.

Too true. Even if he didn't remember much about the bombing itself (quite likely considering how the body reacts to severe injury), he would have had a painful and stressful recovery over months. Rehab and psychologists, all of which would have gone down like a lead balloon. Physically active and fit, he'd feel betrayed by his body to some extent and very frustrated. I bet he would have been like an angry bear during the latter parts of his recovery. :lol:

It's a big thing to be brought face to face with your own mortality. Even fully recovered, he must wonder sometimes whether he can keep doing this or whether his nerve will fail him at a critical moment.

Will we ever see anything like this onscreen? Really, really unlikely, I'm thinking. Bloody shame that!

Even fully recovered, he must wonder sometimes whether he can keep doing this or whether his nerve will fail him at a critical moment.

Whatever medication Flack was on during his recovery i want some!
The guy had a photocopier land in his gut, and already this season (i'm UK we're behind slightly) he has been throwing himself about, with no mention of aches and pains. But like everyone has said you can recover from injuries its the memories and the mental trauma that places the greatest strain on you, but not Flack, by golly this man is a tough nut!!

I can't believe they don't make reference to it at all (apart from at the beginning of PWM). But then are we that surprised? TPTB have also failed to mention Flack Sr, and i know he isn't part of this thread but Louie Messer (is the guy alive or Dead)? they don't seemt to like to carry a story line on even if its just a casual reference to it. Flack getting blown up was a major event for viewers (even though we knew he would make it) and although we wouldn't want our Flack to change it would be nice if we could reference it, acknowledge it in someway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back