Fanfic: A Grissom/Sara/Greg Triangle

Here we have some thinking on Sara's side. Sorta what I went through to decide if she should stick with Griss or go with Greg!

Chapter 19: The Debate

Everything she dreamt of was falling to pieces before her eyes.
When she got married, she thought her romantic woes were over. Now she had to choose between the two men she cared about most.

This was why she found herself in front of her house. Sara rang the doorbell before she could back out.
The door opened, “Sara? How nice to see you.”
“Hi Catherine. I have a huge problem, and I need some advice.”
“Come in.”

The house was big and beautiful. Sara was vaguely reminded of her own large house, but she quickly cleared that thought out of her head. It wasn’t going to help her now.
“What’s up?”
Sara frowned and nervously sat down in the chair closest to her.
“You’re not going to like this but I hope you don’t judge me too harshly…”
Catherine nodded, observing how tense Sara looked.
“You can tell me. Who am I to judge?”
Sara explained everything. From the first time in the bar to the shocking discovery and confrontation between the two men. And now she could no longer avoid the two ultimatums given by both Greg and her husband.

Catherine was blown away. It took her a moment to regain her level-headedness, and when she did, she just told her the first thing that came to mind.
“I cannot believe this! This sounds like one hell of a mess.”
Sara looked down at her hands in embarrassment. “Yeah. I know.”
Catherine sighed loudly and grabbed herself a bottle. She needed a drink. Both of them did.
“No thanks,” Sara declined the glass she offered. “So I guess you don’t have any ideas,” Sara got up, feeling regretful that she even bothered the blonde.
“No wait. Sit down.”
Catherine quickly finished both drinks before rinsing the glasses.
“I said I wouldn’t judge, and I won’t. Believe it or not, you’re not the only who committed adultery.”
Sara gawked at her, “You don’t mean Warrick?”
Catherine cleared her throat and quickly poured herself another drink.
“He told me the divorce was pending. But this isn’t about me. It’s about you!”
So much for getting an unbiased opinion… this was like the blind leading the blind. Well, actually, the adulterer leading the adulterer. Either way it wasn’t good.
“Maybe I should go…”
“Sara, I’m going to tell you what I did when I was in your situation. List the pros and cons, then go with the guy with the most pros.”
“That’s kind of childish, don’t you think?”
“Is it any sillier than the whole cliché of looking into your heart for the answer?”
She had a point, so Sara agreed, “Okay, let’s do it.”

It was kind of hard to believe that Catherine couldn‘t find a piece of paper and a pen. Instead the two women sat at kitchen counter, with two disposable, plastic plates and a jumbo bag of Chocobees. The reasoning was nothing short of ridiculous.
“We’re focusing on pros here. The blue plate is Grissom, and the red plate is Greg. Each Chocobee is something you like about the guy, and whichever plate has the most chocolates is the guy for you.”
“I think you’ve had a little too much wine…”
“I think you’ve got nothing to lose, so let’s start!”
Sara rolled her eyes but obliged.

“I’ve loved Gil longer than Greg. It was actually from the moment I met him in college.” Catherine grabbed a candy and placed it in the blue plate.
“But Greg loved me from the moment he first saw me, and despite everything, he still carried that torch. Gotta admire that.” Catherine placed a chocolate in the red plate.
“Grissom makes me think and he’s the most intelligent person I’ve ever met.”
“So his sonnets don‘t bore you?” Catherine joked while placing a candy in the blue plate.
“No. But Greg makes me laugh,” Sara sighed.
Catherine nodded, “Sense of humor counts big time.” A candy was dropped in the red plate.
“What else…?” Sara mused.
“How about the physical things? Their looks, their body?”
Sara just stared at Catherine.
“Fine. I love Gil’s eyes, I love Greg’s smile. I love Gil’s grey hair but Greg’s ‘do isn’t bad either. To sum it up, they each have opposite traits that I adore for different reasons.”
Catherine grinned and saw Sara plop an even handful of Chocobees into each plate.
“What’s with the smile?”
“What about the sex?”
Sara just shook her head, “I’m not answering.”
“It’s a pretty big factor.”
“Maybe for you…”
“Just pick one!”
Sara quickly positioned a chocolate candy in the red dish. And Catherine gave her a nudge.
“So there’s a reason Greg got the ‘red-hot’ plate!”
“This is not helping.”
“So far Greg’s got the lead.”
Sara sighed and thoughtfully placed a candy in the blue plate.
“What’s that one for?”
“The honey moon was not lacking,” she looked a little embarrassed.
Catherine burst out laughing.
“No more wine for you.” Sara snatched the glass from the woman’s hand.
The relaxed blonde sulked but informed her, “Well, so far the two are even. Now think carefully about this. We’ve got three candies left.”
“I thought we had more,” Sara checked the bag.
“I ate a few.”
She felt like her eyes would fall out from all the times she rolled them.

“Which one of them do you love the most?”
“What?”
“Think about it, Sara.”
“I love them both the same!” Sara slammed one candy into each dish. She looked frustrated.
“No, you just think you do! I know you’re going to kill me for this, but pros and cons only go so far. When it’s said and done, you really do have to look into your heart for the answer - and don’t blame the wine. It may sound stupid, but it’s true.”
Sara glared at the woman who was supposed to help her.
I don’t know. This is why I came to you - I don’t know which one I want!”
“You know what? You don’t have to choose either!” Catherine brought up a point that Sara never considered.
“Maybe you don’t need either of them to survive. That’s why you can’t decide, you’re not completely emotionally invested in either of them. If you were, there wouldn’t be so much doubt!”
Sara frowned, listening to Catherine’s speech.
“When you’re with a man, you have to feel needed and loved. Like you’re the only one in his life. And despite the good and the bad, you can’t picture your life without him. It’s called a soul mate Sara. I don’t know if you believe in it - I don’t even know if I believe in it - but when you find the man who loves you even if you break his heart, well, that has to say something. He’s a keeper, and you should only have eyes for him.”

Suddenly, everything clicked into place. The words Catherine spoke… they were loaded with truth and Sara finally realized what she had to do.
“I have to go. Thank you so much. You don’t know how much this has helped.”
Catherine watched her rush off.
“...Glad I could help. Now, where is my wine?”

Shout out to Chocobees! :D
Oh, and some kind of decision has been made. Now I just have to figure out what it is. I’ve decided the last chapter will be from the third person POV. Or actually, they will involve all the character’s POVs. Either way, we’re getting a resolution - even if I have to do ‘Eenie meenie minie moe’! ;)

OMG DON'T LEAVE US THERE!!!nGals, grab your pitchforks!! we need more now!! Or at least very, very soon!!! You're killin me gal!
Amazingly written, as per usual :D *huggles* MORE!

lovelove
Xx Mia-Sara xX

Hey sweetie! You say you haven't figured it out, but I'm not so sure about that... The way you're writing, what Cath said at the end, a few clues along the way... ;), and what's more, you certainly remember I want to comfort GG in his time of need! Soooooooooooo..... ;) let her go to her Greggo! :)

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't leave us hanging, Hestia!!!!

Haha brilliant idea to use Chocobees (how original ;) should try that sometime :D)

Let her be with GREG, I beg you! We just reach Sandle thread #7, don't you think we need some kind of... uh, present, from you? ;) We'd love a Sandle happy ending, you know :)

No! Go for GSR!! They're nearing thread 21 on the GSR thread!!! :p

Pwitty please give us a happy GSR ending! Either that or give us a real angsty ending, cos that would rock too!

lovelove
Xx Mia-Sara xX

Does this get a drumroll? I'll let you read on...
Eeenie meenie minie moe, catch a tiger by the toe. If he hollers let him go, eenie meenie minie… moe! Uh-oh.

Chapter 20: The Decision

This was never going to end. As long as he stayed in Las Vegas, Greg would always be drawn to Sara. It caused nothing but problems, and no amount of physical pleasure was worth this mental anguish. Besides, in his mind she already chose her husband. He just hoped she would be happy with her decision.
He already handed in his resignation. It was his last weekend in Vegas, and he doubted that Sara would come up with any kind of decision in the next 48 hours, let alone choose him. This way, he would move on and provide a sense of closure to everything.

Meeting up with Warrick and Nick, he decided he should tell them the real reason as to why he was leaving.
“That sucks man. I never would’ve thought,” Nick gave him a sympathetic pat on the back.
“Can’t blame you,” Warrick sighed. “When you’re in love with someone else and you’re married… it’s tough. Sorry about it, man.”
Greg nodded and felt glad the older man was doing much better. He still sported the bandages from the hospital, and he occasionally winced when he moved his left arm but Warrick kept his spirits up which reassured Greg that everyone is capable of healing.

~~~~~~~

She took her time driving, her head felt so clear. She should have never doubted Catherine. Biased or not, her little speech opened up Sara’s eyes.
As she drove home small scenes played around her, filling her with a bittersweet feeling but still bringing a smile to her face.

A teenage girl with a bag and a guy tagging along behind her, carrying some more books.
The bright lights of a store advertising flowers and gifts for that ‘special someone’
A young couple, obviously on a date, in a restaurant laughing.
Two women walking along, hauling bridal shopping bags and chatting away happily.
Some friends arguing; they were, presumably, arguing about a sport.
And a group of children in the park running around, playing tag.

It was these everyday scenes that made her realize the world still carried on. No matter what, people were playing and laughing and screaming and loving. Her decision would not be the end of the world. She just needed to think of what she would tell them. How would the others react?

As she approached the drive way, she realized her husband was not inside. She guessed she would have to call them. Should she call a little meeting and tell them both at the same time? Better not. They might strangle each other.

She rushed inside and looked around. The large house didn’t really fill her with much dread anymore. Walking over to the living room, she grabbed the phone and punched in some numbers.
“Hello? Greg? When you get this message, please call me back. I made a decision. And I figured you’d like to know.”

~~~~~~~

The evening after the incident in the park, Grissom told Brass what happened and he almost thought he gave the man a heart attack.
“Are you kidding me? Her and Sanders?”
“I was blind. I should’ve seen this coming.”
“You’re no mind reader. Even if you were, I’m sure no one would’ve seen this coming.”
“I pushed her away too much… I did too little, too late.”
“Don’t beat yourself up over it. Although I can’t say the same for Greg...”
Grissom chuckled when Brass offered to make things extra hard for the younger CSI at their crime scenes.
All joking aside, Brass wished him luck and promised to cross his fingers. This was his last chance at true happiness, and his friend knew it better than anyone. If he lost Sara, he wasn’t sure what he would do.

A brief visit to his old town house conjured up some conflicting memories. He sold his home for a shared life with her. Now his bachelor pad belonged to someone else and soon his own three bedroom place might be as empty as his ‘hermetically sealed’ town house used to be. He choked back his sadness and walked back to his house.

As soon as got home he knew she was inside waiting. He took the moment to observe the ladybugs and bees around the garden in the front yard. He didn’t know why he never noticed it before. With a soft vow, he promised to relax and enjoy what life offered him. Although, he hoped life would let him enjoy it with Sara.

He let himself inside and saw her sitting on the couch. She didn’t look sad or angry. In fact, she was smiling a little. He didn’t know whether it was good or bad.
“Gil. I talked to Catherine about what happened, and she made me realize something. I’ve been looking at this with a confused, mixed-up perception. But I know what to do. There’s no doubt in my mind. I’ve made my decision.”

Gil Grissom never felt more dreadful and anxious then he did that moment. Everything seemed to stop as he listened to her decision.

“I’m leaving.”
“You chose Greg,” he couldn’t help the bitterness and dejection in his voice.
“No. Actually, I called him and told him what I’m planning to do. He was pretty supportive,” she paused before continuing, “I need to go. I need to get away from everything and do some soul searching.”
He stared at her, feeling like he was missing something.
“You… need to go find yourself?”
“Yeah. I thought I knew what I wanted. But I guess I need some time to think it over. I’m not divorcing you. This is a sort of separation. If what I think is true, you’ll know who I’m choosing in a few months.”

He just shook his head in surprise, “I don’t follow. Are you choosing one of us eventually, or have you decided to just go?”
Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes... just be an illusion.”
Grissom looked like he was trying to place the quote.
She smiled at his puzzled look, “It’s by an author named Javan. I’m just asking you to let me find out for myself. Let me realize if our love was truly magic. I need to do this. I can throw so many different quotes and sayings about ‘soul searching’ and ‘change’ but I won’t. We both know what needs to be done.”

He finally nodded in solemn acceptance. She walked over and grabbed a suitcase, cleverly hidden behind the door.
“Where will you go? What will you do?”
“I’d rather not say. This is kind of hard for me as it is.”
Sara started out the door, turning at the last moment to throw herself into his arms. They held each other for what seemed to be an eternity. When he finally let her go she gave him one final kiss.
“Goodbye Gil.”
“Goodbye Sara.”

He stood by the door and watched her walk out of his life. It was unexpected, but he kept the well-known anonymous saying in the back of his mind.
‘If you love somebody, let them go. If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.’

Hope you understood what I was trying to do there. And I did not wuss out. Eep! :eek: *dodges gun shot residue and sandals being thrown* Okay, okay! I will have the final chapter up soon: the epilogue! *runs off*

OMG I got so upset then!! Love that chapter so much!!! But you can't do that to us!! Please, please, please have the epilogue up soon!! I have my fingers crossed for a GSR ending!! At least an ending though!!!

lovelove
Xx Mia-Sara xX

*stops himself from throwing his sandal* :) *sigh* Sara's doing some soul-searching, I can live with that. Excellent chapter and I hope she figures out who she needs most. *cough*Greg*cough*

Nice to see she wants to figure this over first....*throws shoe at YouandMe1105* *cough*Grissom*cough* *glares*..... *pulls out pitchfork* can't wait for a update, *starts cahsing sandle fans with pitchfork* :devil:

*attacks CSI_Trainee with a ton of sandles and positivity cookies* Hey, don't throw your shoe at YouandMe... SANDLE ROCKS!!

But, yeah, so Sara's soul searching. I just hope she figures out how much she wants *cough*Greg*cough* and not *hack*Grissom*hack*

Back