Everyone Read This! Re-start of Challenges! Upd. 03/08/08

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Wyoming, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cinegirl

cinegirl Coroner

Re: Everyone Read This! *Upd. - Re-Start of all Challenges!*

Alright my sweeties, tomorrow is October the 1st and guess what?

The challenges will be back! :D

But here a few points I want everybody - especially the challenge runners - to read, so that the challenges will be run more smoothly (hopefully, we'll see ;) )

Starting Dates:

• October 1st to October 7th: all Icon Challenges start off again (-->PLEASE try to watch out that not all the challenges will start on the same day, keep an eye on that! I won't tell which challenge will start first, who comes first, saves first, alright? ;)
    • October 8th to October 14th: Banners and Wallpaper Challenges follow
    • setting the deadline: try to make it more constant, perhaps having time to enter for around 7 days (plus/minus 2 days, depending on one's real life and/or amount of entries. I know that sometimes a longer/shorter deadline can't be avoided, but just try it ;) )
    • if you don't get enough entries till the deadline, please extend it only one time (for 4 days max.); keeps it running
    • between setting up the results/winners and posting a new challenge there has to be a break for 5 days minimum, up to 8 days maximum - this will slow down the challenges a bit what might help everyones creativity :D
    • Voting Time Frame: tad more complicated; every runner of the challenges should keep an eye on how long the voting keeps up by their selves, but try not to let it drag on

The new "In what category I belong" - Thread:

• Categorizing your work: the Help Thread will stay open the whole time, for now we'll only have this single thread for all three kinds of art: Icons, Banners and Wallpapers. Every round it will alternate; next time there will be Icons again, but afterwards Megan will continue with banners, then wallpapers etc. Every new round will be announced in this thread, so you won't miss it :)

**Edited to add point 3 and 2nd Edit for point 4:)

2. BonaTaylor

BonaTaylor Pathologist

WHOOHOO!! Challenges back! That's gonna be great! Thanks for that message cinegirl .

3. mitzi962000

mitzi962000 CSI Level Two

oooooooh thats great, and great that 5 - 8 days before closing date for me, with my works shift pattern that is wot i find the hardest, and i love the fun of entering :D

4. Andreina

Andreina Lab Technician

Finally... I thought the waiting will never end...
    And I must comment that I like the new rules I think they are gonna help a lot.
    Regards

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Definetly glad the break will be over soon, and that there will be specific ways in which the challanges will run. that's be very helpful to the busy people who love to enter. :)

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it's related to challenges, I'll stick it in here.

This is a suggestion directed to the people running challenges:
    I've noticed that a lot of times, people are continuing to ask for more people to vote. This tends to drag things on. It's no one's fault, of course.
    A while back, I decided to put a three day deadline on the voting, to see how it would affect the number of votes I got. I simply said, when I put up the voting that it would end on this day at this time (though I'm not sure an exact time is necessary).
    You know what I noticed? I got just as many, if not more votes. It seems that if given a deadline, people will be sure to get their votes in on time. I rarely, if ever, have to scrounge around to get more votes, though I do still put up reminders from time to time, just to keep things going.
    Now, I have no idea if this will work all the time for every challenge, but it seems to work for me, so I thought I'd share. I hope this helps at least somebody.

And for everyone:
    Even if you aren't participating by submitting an entry, your votes are always welcome. The more the merrier!

7. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Good observation DD, thanks for sharing :)

8. Dragonfly

For the runners of the challenges:

I just want to remind everyone to be aware of the other challenges. It's really helpful if the challenges are spread out a bit. Try not to have them all due at the same time, it makes it harder for people to join all the ones that they want to. If this means making the entry period a few days longer than you usually would, that's fine.

Things have gotten a bit 'crowded' lately, mostly due to the holidays. With that more or less behind us now, things should even out a bit.

9. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I've noticed that too....it might be a good idea for the runners to check the other challenge due dates, even if they don't enter. Just so it's fair on the entrants.

10. Dragonfly

Re: Everyone Read This! *New Challenge Break!*

Challenge Break!

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been decided by Vera and myself that we will be imposing another break from challenges.
    However, it's going to be a bit different this time around. Only half of the challenges will be affected by this. The challenges that we feel have the most participation will be allowed to continue.

The challenges that will be affected are:
    The Signature Banner Challenge (Voting will be allowed to finish)
    The 3 CSI Icon Challenge (again, voting will be allowed to finish)
    The CSI: New York Icon Challenge (Roosey will be permitted to post voting, and results)
    The CSI: Las Vegas Icon Challenge

The challenges that will be allowed to continue are:
    LIMS
    1 vs 1 Challenge
    CSI: Miami Challenge
    Wallpaper Challenge

All challenges will be allowed to resume on March 1st 2008

If anyone has any problems/questions/etc about this, please contact cinegirl or DragonflyDreamer

11. AliGtr

AliGtr CSI Level One

Could I make a suggestion? How about pairing the challenges up? When Challenge A starts voting, then Challenge B can set a new theme. Challenge A has to wait until Challenge B starts voting to start a new one.

This way, any challenge runner only has to keep an eye on one other challenge, and only half the challenges should be demanding entries at any one time. Maybe you could specify length of voting time too? Or say that there must be at least a week before the deadline? I've found the longer deadlines since the last break were much better.

It's only a suggestion, but it might work. What do you think?

12. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm sure you'll have thought of this, but if not, I would like to make a suggestion (following the news about the impending move)... Maybe it would be better if all challenges took a break soon to resume after March 9th, the move to vBulletin. I think it's possible that things may get lost in the move or not transfer properly and it would be a shame for that to happen mid way through a challenge... :)

13. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Thanks for that news Elsie - I had no idea we were moving. Is there more news about that? I will make sure to keep that date in mind while I am doing the next few challenges.

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yeah, you should be able to see a new link on the right hand side of the screen. The plan to move to a new system has been around for a long time, and now it's happening! :) Here is the link to the info: Get ready for vBulletin.

15. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Thanks for the heads up and link, Elise. :) Good to start planning ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.