Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Ducky, May 6, 2007.

1. Leela

Leela Pathologist

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2007

Ha! Can I just rant and squee a bit here?!
    OK!

Wahhh Finland rocks so much! That Lordi clip and their performance at the beginning was AWESOME!
    And Apocalyptica... [​IMG]
    Really loved that!
    Most of the actual songs were crap though. Especially Armenia! Oh god that was the corniest crap song EVER! I was actually waiting for a unicorn or something to run around... A vomiting unicorn...
    And UK - NO WORDS neccessary! [​IMG]

I voted for Ukraine (fabulously trashy!), France and Finnland! ;)
    That Serbian song was kinda blah. Not bad, but not THAT good... :rolleyes:

Ok, just my opinion - don't hit me! ;)

2. ElinWaffle

ElinWaffle Witness

We are a very generous country, y'know. :lol: Seriously, The Ark sucked. And now we have to go through the whole semi-finale again. But again, it is only a contest. And we have ABBA. :D We win.

Damn! I missed it! What the hell was I doing during the opening? Oh right, I was here. :D Lordi rocks my (at the moment) non-existing socks.

I loved France this year. God, the man in the pink suit made my night. Loooved it. Ukraine didn't impress me much. However, I remeber a number back in wha, 2003 or 2004? Turkey won (rightly, I might add) and Austria had a number that rocked. Some song about animals, I think.

3. deive

deive Hit and Run

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I absolutley love Apocalyptica. Ever since they made their first album. They are sooo amazing and I just screamed at the rehearsal when I was there.

France... that song just makes you smile. It's silly. And oh that Armenia! It sucked so much so how the hell they could get so many points!?

As for our entry... Hanna is great, that wasn't her best song but she's great.

5. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Yep, the Maltese are old historical allies of ours! :lol:

Here in the UK, the best part of Eurovision is Terry Wogan's commentary. That's all we watch it for, and just to see if it can possibly get even more political from one year to the next! It's so predictable. Even if the UK had a good song, we would still get nowhere. We are not liked very much! Oh well, we'll get over it, lol. ;)

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Our commentators were funny after UK's song.
    "oh, we'd so want to be in UK's box to hear Terry Wogan's comments. We bet those are not nice. UK, we are feeling sorry for you"
    And when the song was about to start, our female commentator said "Here's UK and Flying the Fag...oh excuse me, Flying the Flag" :lol:

It was actually funny that from 12 first countries, only Turkey and Greece weren't the former Soviet Union countries. I mean, I don't care if the song is good but oh when they gave points to something like Armenia. :rolleyes:

I just checked semi-final scoreboard and we hd give 12 points to Iceland :D yay! No surprise there :p But Latvia got there 168 points and how much less they got in the final :eek:

7. athens

athens Coroner

There were good songs that didn't get enough votes...I haven't seen all the songs in the semi-finals[?]I've seen my own country Cyprus and I though it would pass this year but anyway :p...

Do you think for once we will vote a song and not the country?

8. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Wow, I am so glad Ukraine didn't win...I mean, they were funny, but not to win, IMHO.
    My favorites would be...well, i don't remember most of them by the country, but still I like Hungary and also Finland's entry, along with some others. But Hungary is probably my favorite, I don't know for sure but...
    But UK, OMG, how did Malta managed to give them 12 points?

9. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

The UK choose shit songs on purpose. In our own qualifying round we have to choose who represents us we pick the worst song possible because we can.

We are fortunate or unfortunate enough along with Spain France and Germany not to go through the semifinal :lol: and in the end they were the only Western European countries in the final. I guess Sweden and Finaland are Western aswell but they're also Scandanavian and are in their little block of their own who scratch each others backs

Its all the former Russian and Yugoslavian countries voting for each other :rolleyes: You'll not see a winner from the West of the Baltic Sea for a long time....if ever.

Even the likes of France Germany UK and Ireland don't vote for each other, its a Miracle Ireland gave us 7 points. :lol: The reason we got 12 points from Malta is because its a former British Coloney and there is a huge British population over there :p

Technically we should get 12 points from everybody because we used to rule the world :lol: :lol:

I think the UK are the only nation that gets what the ESC is. The countries that take it seriously really need to take a good look at themselves. There wasn't a single good entry from any of the final 24 nations and there hasn't been a good entry for as long as I can remember.
    It doesn't represent music in any shape or form.

Knowing the British music Scene is as it is. Some of the most legendary music acts past and present that hail from our little island. You think we have a single bit of appreciation/respect for the ESC by entering feckin' Scooch :rolleyes: I rest my case :lol:

10. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

Thumbs up for Serbia! I loved the song immidiatly!
    Downloaded it this morning..I also liked the addition that came from Slovenia. That was one beautiful song. I liked Hongary and Bulgaria too.

But what the hell was Ukraine thinking? I freaked out when I saw that! And people actually voted for that! Luckily they didn't win.

Seems to me the Eurovision Songcontest is dominated by friendly politics. Too many countries take part. There are no equal chances since some countries get to take part no matter what score they get (even if they suck!) the UK and French get in every year but this year I believed they were the worst!

The countries from Eastern Europe all watch out for each other as do so many other countries. It has got nothing to do with the song but everything with who your friends are.

11. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Oh god your guys have good memories :lol: i don't remember for which country we gave 12 points, and as we i'm saying "France" for those who don't know my french side :D
    Anyway i wished we had more than 12 points lol no one understand our humour :lol:
    I can't believe Serbia won, it was so unbelievable

12. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Thats because France and the UK pay for the damn thing :lol: along with the hosting country :lol: and again thats why their songs are shite, because to France and UK it is just a farcical monstroserty and we like to sit back and laugh at the rest of Europe who thinks its life or death.

God only knows why we do pay for it though, but if we didn't Eastern Europe would be on its arse, there is no way they'd be able to fund it without the likes of UK and France etc. So automatic qualification and entering poo song is our bloody right :lol: :lol:

I was looking at the ESC page on Wikipedia and I've extracted this

"Big Four"
    Prompted by Germany's failure to qualify for the 1996 final, a new rule was made: From 2000 onwards, four particular countries would always qualify for the Eurovision final, regardless of their positions on the scoreboard in previous Contests.[31] They earned this special status by being the four biggest financial contributors to the EBU (without which the production of the Eurovision Song Contest would not be possible). These countries are Germany, France, Spain and the United Kingdom. Due to their "untouchable" status in the Contest, these countries became known as the "Big Four

So don't grumble at The Big Four too much :lol:

13. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

*lol* and even belonging to the Big Four doesn't help us... Germany screwed up again. I'm glad that I don't even watch the contest and don't take it seriously. Some people raise such a fuss about it, I can't understand it... :rolleyes:

14. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

See that's exactly why people don't vote for us, they know we don't take it seriously :rolleyes: Still it would be funny to have the Eurovision in one of the "BIG FOUR" countries.
    Regarding Germany, i found that jazzy song pretty entertaining, same for Hungary

15. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

Mentioning downloading is against the board rules unless you state clearly the legal source you have downloaded from. ;)