Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Ducky, May 6, 2007.

1. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I thought I start the thread even I leave tomorrow. I go to south for a week to see the ESC, I have four tickets, one semi rehearsal, semi and then two final rehearsals :D

It's probably the only time we get these, so I want to be part of it :p

Our entry sucks. Seriously, I wonder does she sing anything else than that "Leave me alone" part in that song ... :]

And oh! I'll vote for Swizerland! They have DJ Bobo and he was like the biggest childhood idol! I love him! Also Iceland has quite nice song :D

So what do you think? Who'll win?

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2007

:lol: I love Eurovision. Have a great time Ducky :).

I'm not sure who will win, I haven't heard all of the songs yet. The UK entry is so terrible that I am genuinely embarrassed by it! So I'm fairly confident that we won't be winning this year.

I'm not sure anyone can top Lordi though, they were fantastic! I wonder how many countries will be trying to emulate it this year though? :p

3. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I always watch ESC, every single year, but I am becoming more and more disapointed with my country's(Portugal) participation.
    This year, we have that girl, Sabrina, which is like something that makes me sad :( Couldn't we have there someone better?! But whatever, portuguese people were those who vote, so I guess my opinion isn't that important. Anyway, the few people I have talked to share the same opinion with me. I don't think she will make it to the final, but I keep my fingers crossed. People normally say I have a strange musical taste, so let's wait and see. I keep supporting her, anyway :)
    Yeah, and I would like to emphasise "few people", because ESC used to be such a big thing in here in the past, and now most people don't even know what it is. :rolleyes: Then if we don't have support, is kind of normal that we get worse...I was wondering now, is it just here that it is not really popular? How is it lived in other countries?
    I have no idea who will win, as I don't know other contestants.
    Anyway, I always enjoy watching every country's participation. I am pretty sure you will have a good time there, DaWacko ;)

4. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Well I don't have much confidence in the Belgian entry either. I thought previous year that Kate Ryan was going to make it to the final for sure, but I have to admit she sang really really bad in the semi-final :( Still she deserved better. I'm curious to the entries of the other countries, probably A LOT of rock :p

It used to be pretty popular here in Belgium but since the ppl decides who wins, instead of a jury like it used to be ages ago.. people quit watching.. You'll always have ppl voting for their neighbour country because they also get votes from them. Like Belgium always gets points from The Netherlands & vica versa.. And the fact that the countries who gives the most money towards Eurovision get auto invite to the finals , well it doesn't help..

5. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

The only thing I love about Eurovision is Terry Wogan :lol: It is the biggest cheesfest on the planet and why UK plough soo much money into it is beyond me, at least we garuntee an automatic place every year....to then finish in bottom three....along with France and Germany, who like UK automatically qualifies regardless of position.

Its just an incredible waste of time and I can't believe it is still going.

But needless to say I will be watching next week, well the results show anyway as Terry Wogan is too bloody funnt :lol:

6. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

Couldn't agree more !

I used to watch it, but my country desperately sucks year after year after year (kinda tradition). France shouldn't be allowed to comptete any more, that's the point :lol: :lol:
    I keep an eye on it though, just for the "kitch" side :D

7. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I am so not putting my money on Holland.. We suck every year.

I don't watch it. Its all a bunch of friends helping friends..

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

There's 42 countries this year, it's a record. I haven't heard most of the songs, so far Israel and Lithuania (sp?) are pulling the media stunts to get attention and Sweden has said that the only thing to stop them winning will be the finnish weather and if the vocalist will have a sore throat because of that.

It's kind of sad because Finns take this very seriously and are strict with the schedule and stuff and then other Europeans just complain and complain about everything.

I guess part of me is laughing at the whole thing, well it is funny and ridicilous now and then.

Talk about sucking, We were there for FOURTY YEARS before winning :p

Finland - zero points

9. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

Finland was awesome last year (not that I'm keen on that type of music), you brought up something uh different :D.
    France always has "shitty" songs :rolleyes: (5 points last year)
    42 countries, that's definitely too much. Even with 10 countries, I'm pretty sure we couldn't win; so 42...NO WAY !
    That's a disaster :lol: :lol:

10. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

:lol: Did you hear this year song? it's hilarious, i just hope english people will understand our humour :lol:

11. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

Ok, so I see I am not the only one not adoring my country's participation. You don't seem very happy for yours, either. And yeah, I agree with that neighbour countries always vote for each other, though Portugal usually gives Spain more than they give us. Whatever...This shouldn't be this way...I don't waste my money in this for sure. But I am still going to watch it as always, I like it anyway...I always end up laughing at something...

12. kimi

kimi Lab Technician

Yeah I listened to it, it's freaking funny :lol: but I don't think everybody will understand...*subtitles needed please* :D
    Who are the favorites this year ?

13. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

Our entry this years is unreal, I thought last year was bad but this year certainly takes the buscuit. Scooch :lol: United Kingdom will never win the ESC for the remainder of its days because every other coutry hates us :lol: we might get the odd point from Ireland and maybe Malta sometimes but the rest of it is political shit with all the scandanavian countries voting each other and the eastern block countries pissing in the same pot aswell.

But tbh I don't want UK to win again, I think it would be totally shameful if they did. The UK wouldn't want to the upevil of having to host the event the next year, we'd be like 'errrr who ever finished 2nd can host' :lol: No bastard in the right mind in this country would buy a ticket, It would be full of mainland europeans :lol:

14. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

Yeah, the UK entry isn't great. It's so camp, but it just fits with ESC cos of it. And I can't see them sing without thinking of that guy, Russ?, the less camp one, who was in Boys Will be Girls. Cracks me up still. Did anyone watch that?

Anyways, the UK could have the best song in the world, with a really famous act, and we still wouldn't win. Every year you can pretty much guarantee what points we'll get off each country. Like how we get crap points of Ireland but we usually give them good points. Do you think people even watch, or do they just vote at the end?

And Terry Wogan is the best thing about ESC.

15. June_85

June_85 Lab Technician

I remember Scooch when they were out first time around I have one of their songs on an old NOW! compilation :lol:

Nah I reckon if we got Robbie Williams or Westlife or any other main stream UK pop act who is also famous on mainland Europe, I reckon they'd win it.

If Ireland put Ronan or Westlife up they'd have a good shot at winning. Brian McFadden had input with the last or last but one entries for Ireland and they did quite well :cool: Not that Brian McFadden is anyone these days :lol: