Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

We're not going to hurt you! As I've said before, I am genuinely happy for E/C fans to finally have their pairing. Alright, maybe I'm not a big fan of the ship, but that has nothing to do with the fans of E/C. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and we should all respect each others opinions.

I think most fans would not like to see the science leave the show. It is crime scene investigation, after all. Even E/C fans (as evidenced by Hollyo's post), don't want to the ship to take over the show. And in all honestly, I don't think it will. The writers have been fairly good about listening to the fans this season, and I don't think they're going to let this romance get completely out of control.

My biggest complaint is that Ryan, Natalia, and Frank are getting sidelined. Natalia has had barely any screentime let alone an actual story arc these days. Frank's been with the show since nearly the beginning and we don't know that much about him. I'd like to have slightly less focus on E/C and more balancing of the storylines. Does that mean the romance needs to disappear? Not in my opinion. I'd just like a little more screentime for the other actors/actresses.

2. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

^ sorry but you are misunderstanding me GregNickRyanFan. My point is not that anyone has said that they should die, my point is that some people make it a big deal that E/C have all these spoilers and are mad about it. Just remember, I'm sure everyone was upset when Natalia got all of that screen time that one season. what was it, end of 4 beginning of 5?

Yes, I understand how some people feel about this ship. I certainly hope E/C are not in every episode and that other actors get the screen time they deserve, but what I am trying to get across you all is that you should find something else to like about the show and if that doesn't work, do what I do and that is just have dreams when you go to sleep at night about what it could have been! Or just keep writing fics! It builds character! :D

I'm not upset that any of you want Eric and Natalia or Calleigh and whoever (it just better be for good reason and not the reason I'm thinking... :p) but it is kind of offensive to some to(and tiring) just make a hate thread...or should I say "dislike thread". And if it wasn't really about the couples, wouldn't you just ignore this and pay attention to the science? I have friends who enjoy all of the shows for science because they want to study to become a csi and they don't have any problem and some of them don't support any pairing.

But if you really want to just stop watching the show, no one is stopping you. I did that with Roswell.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You know what? I stand corrected. I think you're right. I believe that Stetler appeared to announce/remind Eric (after he witness Eric helping Natalia with her dislocated shoulder) of the fraternization policy. Jake then elected to take a break and they made if very clear at the end that the relationship had resumed.

I don't know why, but I just have the feeling that like Kathleen Newberry's son, the fraternization policy will disappear, too.

4. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

Look I don't want E/C to take over the show either. And to be honest, I highly doubt it will. This is the "honeymoon" phase if you will. I think once we are past that, there will be a great balance of them and what has made this show great. This is show has never been about the personal aspects of their characters...they have, this season begun to intermingle them but the personal storylines will always be the B or C storyline of an ep.

I just feel....well let me put it this way; how would you feel if your ship came to fruition and then all of a sudden someone made a thread voicing their dislike of it? Could you all honestly say that if I were to start a thread about disliking Eden, Carwash or Cake or any other ship on this show you would be ok with that? (and btw I am generalizing here, I am not pointing at any one person)

Can you honestly say that some would be ok with that? probably not, and everyone IS entitled to their opinion....I get that but don't fault those then for opposing or putting up resistance to something they believe in or have been looking forward to for a really long time.

Ok, that is it....I have said my piece. :D

Later everyone. ;)

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

No, I wouldn't like it, I don't like that people have a "dislike Lindsay" thread either, but I just move along & stay out of it, so that's what I feel that anyone else should do who doesn't like this thread.

Now back to the actual topic of this thread.....

I didn't care for that either. Not to mention that they took an episode that was about Eric & his therapist & turned into something e/c. TPTB haven't played them as individuals very well since this started. It's turned into any time there's some sort of Eric or Calleigh drama, they deliberatly use it just to squeeze in more e/c & that again just disrupts more of the interaction that they could be having with other characters.

I know there's been a lot of you saying "I HOPE that they don't turn this into all about e/c".... but can you honestly tell me that this past 2 seasons they haven't already?
    Sure we've had a bit of H/Julia/Kyle drama & a few plain cases, & for the most part the e/c stuff is case B. BUT, there has been something in almost every episode with them. Even if it isn't the romance they're focusing on, they still insist on having them team up for almost every scene.
    That get's very annoying, & again it just makes the entire thing seem incredibly forced.
    Part of what I enjoyed about this show was the difference in each character & how they interact with one another. They each have something different, & it's rarely seen now.

What I think is rather odd about the whole thing is that typically when there's a couple, they use the time when they're actually together as the "focal point". That's usually when things get more focused on cause they would want to show the relationship growing with them as a couple.
    That's a little fishy if you ask me. *shrugs*

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ah, okay. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I didn't know if you were exaggerating to prove a point of if you'd actually seen a post like that. :lol:

I'm not mad that all the spoilers are about E/C, but at the same time, I think where some are coming from is that it's a little frustrating sometimes when one particular thing or person is pushed out there so much in the forefront. It's kind of like on Idol when they make sure you know which contestants the producers/etc want to win.

What is the most frustrating though is when another actor from the show other then AR and EP do an interview and all there asked about is a storyline that has absolutely nothing to do with their characters. I kind of feel a little bit bad for them because it can be an awkward situation for them to be put in. But, that would be the interviewers' faults, not tptb. :lol: But, it's still frustrating. Now if Eva was asked, "Do you think your character Natalia will be upset when she finds out that Calleigh is dating her ex boyfriend, Eric?" That would be a more appropriate question. But when she is asked "Are Calleigh and Eric going to be together?" I don't know, I just find that kind of rude and disrespectful personally. If they have to ask about the pairing they could at least include the character of the actor/actress they are talking to in the question.

I do have other things I like about the show and one of those is in my screen name. ;) I agree about the fics thing though. That is how I got out most of my frustrations about certain things on other shows that I used to watch and some fanfics that had alternate (more desireable) endings to movies I had seen. :D I'm not going to stop watching the show just because E/C are together. Personally, it would take a lot more than that lol.

I'm going to try to ignore it when it is shown on screen personally. :) For me though, its not so much that I dislike the couple as it is that I dislike the way it was written. I just always had an issue with the "will they wont they" type of storylines. For me, it's just like either do it or don't. This whole thing has just been drug out for so long. I personally am just glad there's not going to be anymore of the "will they wont they". So it'll be less frustrating in that respect. I mean sure I would have rathered they'd been with other people, but honestly I have had a feeling it was going to come to this for at least a month or two, so I was somewhat prepared. :lol:

I have nothing against E/C fans at all. I'm happy for all of the E/C shippers.

I don't however understand why the existence of this thread would be offensive though. I'd understand it if it was titled "Why E/C should break up", but its only titled "why we dislike it". And most of the comments have been about how the storyline was written, not the pairing as a whole.

Personally, if it was written differently I might feel differently about the storyline. I don't know, but to me the way it was written is the issue.

Well, I really hope you're right about that.

I'm still a bit confuzzled about some things though. If the writers have thought about going with E/C since season 2 then IMHO they should have never had Eric and Natalia hook up even if it was kind of a short relationship. What was the reason for that whole pregnancy scare storyline with Natalia if their intentions were to eventually have Eric with Calleigh? That's what I don't understand and it's all a bit on the confusing side to me.

Honestly, I can't agree with this 100%. Where Horatio is concerned, it's always been a lot about his personal aspects. :lol: Not about the others though. We only got a little snippet here and there of the others' personal lives.

7. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

It's true, she saw the look on his face. I think he was practically oozing disappointment and jealousy out of every pore, so it would be hard for anyone who saw him at that moment not to notice that something was definitely wrong. But... it occurs to me to ask: what was she supposed to do? Honestly, what was her "proper" move right then? Should she have leapt out of the elevator, ran to Eric and explained that she'd been kissing Jake goodbye, even though she didn't REALLY need to justify her actions to Eric since they weren't a couple (yet)? In all honesty, I really do want to know what you think she should've done differently at that moment.

I doubt that the writers will sweep it under the rug. And if they DO sweep it under the rug, I'm going to be disappointed. It should be a roadblock that they deal with. It would be neither fair nor realistic to make it all go away just for this couple. Then again, they may get along swimmingly in their work life for such a long time that once they are discovered, it'll prove that the "no fraternization" rule is unnecessary. Who knows.

I don't know which health problems you're talking about. All I can think of is the moment when there was a gunfight, he froze, and then he told Calleigh about it. That's all I can recall.

I took into serious consideration what you said here, and for a while it did seem like she may have stepped out of bounds. Of course we have to keep in mind that they were BOTH going out of bounds by breaking doctor-patient confidentiality before a court order was issued.

Anyway, I went back and listened to the dialog again. He said "my secrets are in here too... I'm OK with this". I interpret that to mean "All of these files need to be scrutinized, court order or not, and I'm willing to put my secrets out on display along with everyone elses". He didn't backtrack and say "by the way, I'm OK with this so long as you don't read my file" once she sat down to help. He just handed it over without so much as digging through the pile to see if his was in there.

Now... perhaps you think she should have imposed some limits of her own once she saw his file, and that's a valid point of view. But I think it's also valid to say that she may have interpreted what he'd said (about his secrets and being "OK with this") in the way that I interpreted it, and she only stopped reading and deflected his question about "finding anything" because she was so shocked about the depth of his emotions for her, and didn't want to delve into the subject at that juncture. In addition, I think the fact that he knew that she read his file (re: their brief conversation in 712) and wasn't upset with her about it supports my take on this situation. He was OK with it. In fact, he WANTED to discuss it instead of argue about it.

Again, this is all up to interpretation. Yours could be just as legitimate as mine since there's no way for us to know for sure which one is the "correct" interpretation. Would you agree?

Your feelings are in fact valid. Mine too. That's why I'm OK with addressing this calmly and rationally, rather than picking fights or calling names.

We're DEFINITELY on the same page here. I want more friendships, more real human interaction. They're extremely dedicated to their jobs, we know, but they're also people with emotions and senses of humor and flaws, etc. They should be leaning on each other more often, and there should be more "the whole team together" moments.

Truth be told, the latest promo is the only one I've caught in a long time, so I can't really say much about whether or not the promos are focusing on E/C. I also don't read many articles, sooooo..... yeah, sorry to be so useless in this regard!

I won't tell you to go away, and I trust you won't tell me either. :)

I have absolutely no problems with that. You do what feel is right. Doesn't bother me! :D

8. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

First of all, thanks mjszud that you started this thread. Finally we have place to say what we don't like in this couple.

I agree with most of you about writing. Maybe i can like this ship if they show this feelings come out naturally, all i see that they impose this ship. You know, i start disappointed with show since season 6. Season 5 was great, but then it is all became worse and worse. In season 5 all characters have normal screeentime, but then starts this romance opportunity and writers forgot about Ryan, Natalia and Frank. In season 7 we see more Ryan, but still don't see Nat and Frank. All we see it's hints about EC, how he loves her, how she confused and suddenly in next ep they already together, it's weird for me. It's huge step from what they have in last eps, that's again looks no natural, imo.

About policy of the department, i think they need it for Calleigh and Jake break up, but now with EC I'm sure they forgot about it :(

About Calleigh, i lose my respect for the Calleigh too, it's not Calleigh anymore, another person. Of course people change, but not so fast and not so hard (strong, much, i don't know what word i should use, i hope you understand what i mean).

PS god, it's most big post i ever write on English :D

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I totally agree. I would like to see how they would deal with it if it came up for them.

:lol: I can actually see that happening. Anything is possible with this show. :D

I think maybe what was being referred to was the fact that Calleigh kept it secret that the "cheat sheet" was Eric's and that he made it because he was worried that he wouldn't remember the procedures or whatever.

That's a good point. I had forgotten that he said that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I have a question about something I cannot for the life of me remember. :lol: Did Eric tell Calleigh about seeing Speed or did he mention it to Horatio?

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

First, the kiss in the lab was grossly inappropriate and she should have stopped it before it started. While I know that it's not fair to place that responsibility on her, Jake was the one who initiated the kiss so it was up to Calleigh to shut him down and tell him not in the lab.

I guess my choice for what she should have done would be, if she really preferred to go with Jake, tell Jake that she would meet him in a little while and then go back and discuss the situation with Eric. You're right. She wasn't required to justify her actions to Eric. But Eric is supposed to be her friend and the look on her face says that she knew how Eric was hurting over what he had just witnessed. As his friend you would think she would want to try and provide some comfort and understanding with regard to their relationship rather than watch him continue to suffer.

I do hope you're right and they don't ignore the fraternization policy. And while they may get along just fine at work, I can't imagine a fraternization policy that would have a provision that states it won't be enforced if the violators happen to get along and make the relationship work. The department would be leaving itself wide open for a lawsuit if they didn't apply the policy equally to all.

The gunfight you cited is one instance. The cheat sheet that Calleigh found is another. While he really may not have needed it, the fact that he carried it with him indicated on some level he still wasn't sure of himself. While Calleigh took the bullet for him and retook her proficiencies, it apparently never occurred to her that it might be a very good idea for Eric to retake his. That, in my opinion, was a bad judgment call. Her feelings for him made her first choice to protect him rather than consider that he may need a refresher if he was carrying that cheat sheet.

When Eric was seeing Speed. I'm pretty sure that Eric eventually told Horatio. But I'm also pretty sure that Calleigh was aware that something was wrong before Eric finally went to Horatio. (I would need to review that episode.)

The only time that I've seen Calleigh act appropriately with regard to Eric's inadequate performance was when he mixed up the chemicals and as a result compromised the testing and they had to find another way to get the killer. She was awesome in that episode.

The biggest problem I have with this is they didn't have a warrant. While Eric might have been okay with Calleigh reading his secrets (might even have been hoping that she would) and may have been able to give permission for her to look at his file, he had absolutely no right to give Calleigh or himself permission violate the confidentiality of the doctor's other patients. She is the supervisor and it was her responsibility to say this is wrong and stop him. The confidentiality issue is one that is near and dear to my heart. On this issue I feel very strongly.

I just don't believe that the Calleigh of seasons 1-4 would have allowed that kind of assault on her integrity. She did it for Eric.

I sincerely appreciate how you have addressed your questions and opinions. I respect every one of them and have enjoyed my discussion with you immensely.

They (the writers) seem to have a problem finding a way to balance the personal with the jobs. They made the same mistake when they made Horatio's personal life the focus - although I really didn't see it as this overwhelming. I am, however, willing to admit that I might not have been so aware because Horatio is my favorite character.

At least for me, it seems that is all I'm hearing about when it comes to CSI Miami and it's been that way for quite a while.

I have NEVER told anyone to "go away" if they don't like what they are seeing on a show. And I never will. But that is a running theme for some here.

And believe me, when all the Horatio criticism comes raining down, it's hard not to react. But I realize and accept that some of the storylines with Horatio have been hard. I've had to hold on and hope that we get past them. That's what I'm doing this time. Hopefully now that they've achieved their intended goal, they can get back to caring what some of the other fans think and feel.

Thank you. I appreciate that! :)

11. electra

electra Pathologist

Given all the attention that E/C are getting,I am not surprised that the writers are giving them so much screentime.If I were a writer and read all the talk about E/C in the spoiler thread,the fact that they have 34 threads in the shipper section and that they even had their own anti -thread,I would do the same.The worst thing that can happen in entertainment is that nobody talks about you.Maybe if we start seeing more pro Natalia and Frank threads (instead of all time E/C) they would get more screentime.And of course the magazines and TV would pick on it.

IMO the dynamic of the team was lost when Speed died and the start of super H.This is way different from Vegas where the team appears more close.I agree with everyone on this except that IMO has been there since a LONG time.

I also don't think that any ship has the power to bring down a show.It's like giving them more importance then what they really are.I seriously dislike GSR in vegas but the reason why season 8 was not as good as the previous ones was becouse the cases got weaker and less interesting then in earlier seasons.If not FF them would have been enough.Maybe the focus needs to be in more compelling stories and team dynamics instead of who is paired with who.

12. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Of course E\C have that much threads, they have what discuss. If we saw more Natalia scenes in show her thread was more visited (viewed), cuz fans have more subjects to talk about.;)

13. electra

electra Pathologist

I think that writers test the waters in certain storylines.IMO,they did the same with E/C and noticed a strong reaction.Had nobody cared ,I believe other would be the story.I also think the reason Ryan is getting more attention recently is becouse fans are talking about it.But if there is not a Frank thread,I doubt the writers would write soon a storyline for him.

And HEY!,There is an active GSR thread when both of them aren't even part of the show so it's not exactly about being current.

14. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

It's bad test :lol: When they saw interest from fans to EC other fans, who don't like it don't say anything (at loud like now) and see what happen? How many people didn't like it (this ship or how writes did this storyline). I know people who don't watch show anymore because of EC. It's very sad, cuz now maybe many people drop watching this show too :(

15. mjszud

mjszud Captain

That is definitly part of it. At this point though, I would have to see TPTB rewrite the entire first 5 seasons before being able to look at them in a different light.
    If TPTB had shown Eric & Calleigh in the earlier days as something a little more than it would be different now, & it would make sense when the actors talk about it. However, I have never seen them gazing at each other & have never seen them flirting or anything that would be signs of what's to come later. Calleigh's interaction w/ Eric, in those days, were really no different than how she was with Horatio or Ryan. So, to see them overdramatizing it now as if this was something that's been brewing all along seems ridiculous, & false. I was never a big fan of GRS, but I do give them the benefit of the doubt in saying that at least you knew without a doubt that there was something in the works between them. They did manage to show that throughout the course of the show.

If TPTB had actually shown E & C bonding & reconnecting, becoming closer at the BEGINNING of season 5, & IF other love interests hadn't been still being played on then it would seem more real.
    Then it would have made more sense than when Eric was shot that it affected Calleigh, & then they could started falling for EACH OTHER mutually & gradually.
    But it was like the first part of S5 we didn't ever see a different side to e/c as if there was anything there. There was absolutely no indication that they had ANY sort of strong feelings for each other. Then Eric get's shot in the head, she kisses his cheek (as a friend) & by the end of the season he's in love with her? I find that to be incredibly ridiculous & unbelieveable.
    There just didn't seem like there was enough time there for him to truly see & feel something that strong. As I said before it would've been different if these were feelings (or anything close to) he had shown all along but never looked that deep into them until that point in his life- THAT would be sooo different. However, TPTB never showed that in the first 51/2 seasons. It's like we're just supposed to believe it now because AR & EP are telling it that way. Well. SHOW IT, don't just say it!!
    It's a little too late for that now though.

I don't think she should've had to justify her actions either, but it would have been a more proper thing to do if she had talked to Eric in 'Dangerous Son'. She just sort of blew it off like she didn't care. It also would've been helpful if the audience had actually heard or seen Calleigh confirm that she indeed had stronger feelings for Eric, & this was something that we never saw either.

I respectfully disagree with that. For one thing, this is a pretty vocal message board, yes. But it isn't ever single fan of CSI:miami that's posting here. Eva does have a big fanbase that's followed her to Miami,they just aren't the type to be "vocal" all the time. & Togo has a large number of fans as well on this board who are very vocal (& I love them for it - those crazy girls ;)).

Like someone mentioned above, if they actually GAVE a story to Natalia or Frank than we'd see more converation in there.
    The only reason e/c is being so heavily discussed is because , sadly, TPTB have not given much else for us TO discuss. I'm quite sure if they switched around some stories & fleshed out some new & fresh material that THAT would be heavily discussed & give them attention. We don't necessarily need more threads, or fans of anyone else - TPTB just need to bring on something refreshing to get some of the audience intrigued again. E/C drama won't cut it for me,as it probably won't for others either.

One of the things that really aggravates me is hearing actors say it's what the fans want. Correction - it's what your fans want! Not all of the CSI:Miami fans in general!
    If they would look around they might be able to see that not everyone has the same preference in stories or ships, I don't think it's fair for them to pick the ones who are just more vocal over what's best for this show.
    & personally I don't think a "front & center" romantic couple(ANY couple) is best for a crime show with an ensemble cast.

I'd also like to comment on the recent interview with AR & EP from TVGuide. What is also really bothersome about it is the fact that this episode is generally about Eric the character. I would have enjoyed reading something more along the lines of how Adam feels about Eric finding out about his real father, & his first meeting with him in this episode. How does Adam feel about THAT storyline, or how does he feel about being "illegal", & going to jail. What will HE face in the future with his OWN character. Are they forever joined by a cord now? Funny, I thought they were individuals, but apparently not.
    Fine if they still wanted to put as a sidenote that this will be the e/c kickoff, show the kiss, & have a few words with the actors, but it's plain annoying to see that they've just managed to push all that other stuff aside to again put focus on this couple.

Orla, don't worry about your English, hon. I can understand you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.