Eric and Calleigh #35 She's His Gal; He's Her Dude

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Audrey2419, Mar 17, 2009.

?

New Title for Thread

Poll closed Mar 20, 2009.
  1. They're Going Places

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. True Love Lasts Forever

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Taking Care of Each Other Now

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. She's His Gal; He's Her Dude

47 vote(s)
    72.3%
  5. As Foretold by Nostradamus

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. 80% Hotness By Volume

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  7. Nothing Can Keep Them Apart

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. Coming Soon To An Illegal DVD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

ladyd10, you write brilliantly and I think you possess excellent insight into these characters. What you've said rings true, makes a lot of sense, and I'm extremely impressed with the way you articulated your interpretation so eloquently.

In short, I agree. :D

Calleigh is still in the process of tearing down her walls. It makes sense that the physical peril has forced some of those walls down. Now... she's got to work on the rest of them if she's going to maintain a successful relationship (finally). Eric's walls seemed to've fallen rather quickly back in season 5, but Calleigh, like you said, is all about control. Getting to the point when she can allow herself to be completely unguarded with Eric is going to be quite a process.

By the way, why do you think some people are basically sneering at her desire to be in a relationship at all? Apparently the fact that she wants to be with Eric, instead of wanting to be alone, makes her "disappointing" and "weak". Can't a woman be strong AND want to be with a man at the same time? I didn't think being a strong woman and being in a relationship were mutually exclusive.

2. JackieG0630

JackieG0630 Dead on Arrival

Well, for Calleigh being in more physical peril in the past couple of seasons, I'm kinda happy about it. I think it displays a strong female character who is, in essence, part of a typically male dominated world that gets into physical action as much as her guy counterparts. It's almost a catch-22 some days though. If they don't put her in physical danger than "they're not treating her as an equal on the show" and if they do "they are making her suffer too much on the show".

And as for the psycological standpoint of it when it comes to the characters, I agree with Dr. ladyd10 ;) Well written, my friend LOL

PS- Plus, I know Emily Procter has stated in more than one interview that she asked to be put in more action scenes and circumstances. She likes the physical part of acting and I think she has the ability to pull it off.

3. JoannaRose897

JoannaRose897 Police Officer

I agree, ladyd10.

I think the physical things Calleigh has experienced, like her being hospitalized, let her seem more vulnerable and human. She can't really ignore the things that have happened to her since they've sort of helped tear the walls that she's built up, down.

Ginnna, people are only saying that about Calleigh because she's not with the person they want her to be with. The fact that Eric is there, to some people, makes it seem like that's the only reason she's with him. Because he's there. Jake isn't. So Calleigh seems 'weak' because it's like she needs a man to survive or something.

I'm only getting that from what I've read from the 'Dislike EC' crowd.

Anyway, I didn't know that a strong and independent woman couldn't date.. She can be independent and still be with a guy. She doesn't seem any less independent or strong, to me. I honestly think it's good for her if she relies on Eric and trusts him a lot instead of handling every little thing by herself.

4. restless-mess

restless-mess Witness

:angel:! Couldn't have said it better myself. The traumatic events were about the only thing that could start to chip away at Calleigh. She's such a strong character that for her 'break down' (for lack of a better word) to be true and believable it had to be something drastic.

Once again agreed. You word everything so well, that really describes IMO (i can't speak for everyone else), why i love this couple so much and why the build up to them going canon has been so..:eek::wtf::drool::scream::mad::hugegrin::eek::adore: ...
    His understanding of her, not only of what ladyd10 mentioned but also the fact that he realizes she is built different, that she processes things different and although he's already learned from his hardships, its taking longer for her to heal and to learn.

So, in a nutshell you rock and i agree. And they are sooooo fun to play with:lol:

5. Maria-EC

Maria-EC Hit and Run

I don't mean to change topic or anything...:) But something just went through my mind.:thumbsup:

Don't you guys think Calleigh already looks happier and easy? I mean, she smiles and she jokes about Ryan again...:devil: Which is a long time since we've seen, and if you ask me it's really nice.

I know it's only been like three episodes, I don't know how long they have been dating, but Eric seems to lighten her up. And I think that's nice.

I don't think we've ever seen Calleigh smile as much as she did last episode.. She has smiled and all, but it was like at least four scenes in this one! :)

And yes I do think it's sad that we have a "dislike thread" but people have different opinions, and it's not like it's a lot of people discussing anyway:)

6. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

I definately agree. :D Calleigh needed to reach a point through something physically traumatic, not emotional as you said, that would cause her to let her walls down enough to let Eric in. I'm sure over the last two seasons she has wanted to be with Eric but there was something blocking her from letting him in.

And as you said emotional upheaval was easy for her to push aside and compartmentalize where as being kidnapped, nearly getting smashed by a crane, almost dying from smoke inhalation and the bag over her head are things that others experience and go through with her and therefore she can't ignore them or compartmentalize them....b/c they don't just effect her.

Now that she has reached the point where she can deal or at least understand that it is ok to let her walls down ever so slightly and the world won't come to an end and those around her won't abandon her...she has relaxed and has been able to let Eric in. I think one of Cal's biggest fears was that if she showed too much emotion she felt that those around her would think less of her and distance themselves from her b/c emotions or emotional reactions would be seen as a weakness. Now that she has seen or experienced that that is not true....her walls have come down a little.

I don't think she has "crashed" yet but she did reach the precipice in 714 and that experience definately put cracks in the armor. I don't think we will ever see her crash but that wasn't the point the writers were trying to get to....they wanted to get her to the brink enough so that there would be enough cracks in the armor to let Eric in. People have complained and said that all the physical trauma has lessened her character and made her weak...IMO it has done the opposite; it has softened her character and opened her up more. It has made her more human. We have gotten so used to Cal being this hard rock and stoic person that ANY change in her emotional reactions to something is seen as odd. Which meant we were getting too comfortable with the character, the character was becoming stagnent and the writers saw that and new it was time to develop her further....that is a tv character; ever growing and changing.

Eric has always been one to wear to his emotions on his shirtsleeve and I agree he came to the conclusions, that Cal has come to this season, back in season 5 when his romantic feelings for her started to reveal themselves. His shooting, I think more than Marisol, definately made him realize that life is too short and that you can't control what you feel and that you shouldn't....you should enjoy life and live it. Marisol at the end, embraced life and married Horatio b/c she wanted to be happy and enjoy life, what little she knew she had left b/c of the cancer.

I think seeing that and then going through his own near death experience opened Eric's eyes to himself and to the one person who was there for him through it all. At first I think he thought it was a crush too but I think he realized it was more when her being with Jake hurt more than it was supposed to. He didn't give up on her and he knew she wasn't at the point he had reached yet. He waited for her to be ready all the time letting her know through conversations, his shrinks notes and the truffles that he wasn't going anywhere and he did indeed feel something deeper for her than a crush. Now, Cal being Cal wanted to hear it straightforward b/c that is how Cal deals with things...straight on.

Ya know I've watched 714 a TON of times and each time I see the scene where he tells her he can't imgaine living his life w/o her...the pause he has before he sits back down and the look on his face totally just screamed to me that in his head was saying "I said what you wanted to hear now wake up" I really felt that after he said it, he half expected and hoped she would wake up b/c he finally told her what she wanted to hear.....kind of the prince kissing sleeping beauty ;)

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

ladyd10 I think you wrote that perfectly :thumbsup:. I especially like how you described that since Eric has been through difficult times himself he is able to understand where she's coming from. This way he understands from personal experience (and the fact that he knows her well) what she needs.

I do not think that the only reason Cal is with Eric is because he is there and Jake is not. However I do think that the fact that it was Eric showing support and caring throughout EVERYTHING really played and important part in her realizing that a guy that dissappeared during the tough times was not exactly what she wanted. Eric being there and helping her out I think opened her eyes to the fact that there are guys out there who will be there no matter what. If I remember correctly Emily said something about maybe Cal panicking when she realizes that this guy will actually always be there for her as opposed to what she has always seen in guys she's been with.

This made me laugh :lol:. I didn't know that either ;)
    It's just the fact that the relationship is with Eric that makes her not be strong woman :rolleyes:. Well of course she is not strong, who could resist Eric :lol:? Strong goes out the window :lol:

I wrote this over at the Emily thread when asked if we thought Calleigh's change was positive or negative so I thought I would bring it over for those of you that do not go into that thread.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  8. delkolover

I totally agree :thumbsup: Part of Cal going through everything she has gone through has helped her to realize that this guy (Eric) is NOT going anywhere. Given her childhood and her father's alcoholism, Cal has always had to depend on herself to get through everything that has come her way in life. So to have another person care and stay by her through everything isn't something this woman is used to.

Women tend to go for men who almost always represent something from their father. So Cal having always relied on herself it was easy for her to choose men who she didn't always expect to be there or knew that they wouldn't always be there for her. So I too hope that what Emily said regarding Cal and her coming to a relaization that this guy is different and it not going anywhere comes to fruition...it will be interesting to see Cal's reaction and if she even really notices just how much she is NOT alone anymore. I think it is going to creep up on her and there is going to be a moment where all of a sudden she is standing there going "holy sh*t!" I think that situation will be the first real test of their relationship.

9. VirGodess1923

VirGodess1923 Lab Technician

I remember that in the spoiler so that has got to be the biggest mistake. Ryan will notice the grin, so why wouldn't he notice the clothes:confused: I mean, it’s going to be too obvious!! Why would they just give themselves away like that? At least he could’ve had a change of clothes in the locker room! I'd certainly pick up on that and make a comment:guffaw:...I know in the beginning of the episode, Ryan says something to Eric that bothered him and Eric ends up telling him later, when Ryan visits him in the lab, that if he came to apologize than don’t bother...do you think Ryan made reference to his clothes?? I don't know but you know spoilers...may change

I think that Calleigh was really scared of the complications this would lead to, but genuinely, she could be on the edge of being in love with Eric. She certainly cares for him deeply and loves him, but in love is something else. Because she’s dealt with so many disappointments, she is a bit guarded, but he brought those walls down. I mean, come on…its ERIC DELKO :drool:…you’ve got to be crazy not to give him a chance. He's changed in so many ways. With that, I think he has proven his loyalty to her. She sees and knows what he’s feeling…she just has to get over that little hump to get there and be on the same level as he is. In time..

I think her decision to be with him is giving into feelings she knew she had for many years. To sneer at it shows that these people don’t understand. It doesn’t make her disappointing and weak; it makes her smart for choosing to be with someone who deeply cares for her. The other people she was with all disappointed her!! Eric is so attentive, so loving, and like I said above, truly loyal to her. He would give the world for her. Calleigh is an extremely strong woman. Obviously those who feel that way haven’t watched this show since Season 1. YOU DON’T MESS WITH CALLEIGH DUQUESNE! I sense the jealousy because their ship didn’t go canon, if we are talking about the same “people”. :klingon: You can be a strong woman and have a great relationship with an equally strong man, like Eric Delko. They compliment each other!!

Yes!! Easy going, happy, and calm…and its ALL ERIC’S FAULT!! :adore::adore:

10. Monica1604

Monica1604 CSI Level One

You know, I'm so tired of people who always complain about Calleigh and Eric's relationship. If it so hard to watch, then just don't do it, cause it's getting boroing:scream:. Sometimes I think they are obssesed. Sorry, but I had to say it, it's so annoying.:rolleyes:

Anyway I agree, that Calleigh went through a lot, so it's natural she has changed. And I completly don't understand how her relationship with Eric makes her week. It's just ridiculous. Everyone sometimes need someone to lean on and it definitely doesn't mean that you can't be strong or independent at the same time.
    I'm glad she finally understood that he's the right man for her and gave him a chance. I guess for the first time in her life she has a boyfriend which won't disappoints her, what like you said may be a bit odd to her. He would give her everything he can, cause her hapiness is his priority, so maybe at some point it might be too much for her. But I think with time she'll understand he wants only good for her and it's something really great to have someone so loving, honest and careful, because it means you don't have to be alone with your problems.:)
    And yes I also think she looks happier and more relaxed , but who wouldn't be having a boyfriend like Eric;).

11. JackieG0630

You know what's funny? My mom and I had almost this exact same conversation last night. LOL

We were discussing the show and she said, "So you like them together?" (meaning E/C) and I said, "Um, of course I do! He's only been in love with her since the end of season 5."

Then my mom goes "Well, I don't know what they've done with Calleigh in the past couple of episodes, but she looks about 10 years younger. Her face is softer, her hair looks better, and she is actually smiling again. I'm glad because I didn't like the way she was heading."

Of course at that point I got a huge smirk on my face and tossed over my shoulder before heading to bed. "That's cause she's dating Eric now. She's happy."

So even people who aren't necessarily "shippers" are noticing a difference :)

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

She smiled A LOT during this episode :). I agree she seems more relaxed and happy. I love the smile she has on my sig picture :). In the scene she had with Frank I remember thinking that the way she was speaking and moving seemed different, like more relaxed (sorry I can't seem to find the exact word I want to use :p). There used to be times when episode after episode aired and not one smile, that was sad. I too love it when they joke about Ryan like that :lol: it makes me laugh.

EDIT: JackieG. your mom rocks :)!!

13. delkolover

That is the thing...Cal has never leaned or needed to lean on someone in the past but now b/c her character has changed b/c of her experiences and she doesn't feel like she has to hide her emotions or that leaning on someone isn't the end of the world...b/c of that, some feel she has become weak. IMO that is a load of bull ;)

Infact all it is, is character development...their problem is, they can't or don't want to see that. So b/c her character changed and at the same time she got together with Eric they are blaming her changes on her relationship with Eric :rolleyes:

But seriously, what iritates me are those who say the show has faltered b/c of this (the ratings have NOT changed at all since their relationship started) and then break down the show....but what really bugs me the most though are those posters who tear down the show b.c of this development...a show they claim to "love" so much...and yet the pick on the writers, the characters (all of them not just E/C) and sometimes even the actors....if you hate the show for what is has become so much, don't watch it anymore. :rolleyes: I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I feel like all they do is watch in order to hate.

They are sooo busy focusing all their time and energy on hating this one aspect of the show that, imo, they are missing out on one of the overall best seasons this show has had in a while. They are not seeing the forest for the trees. They have tunnel vision

I actually welcome these changes to Cal...not just b/c of E/C but b/c her character had become too robotic and cold in the last few years...she needed something to bring back her humanity and while Eric is part of that, I think her physical trials this season are what really made her change, like Eric she probably realized life is not something you get to do over so you have to embrace it. i don't care who you are, you don't almost die or go through near death experiences and NOT come out unchanged. I really feel that over the last few years she was the least developed and changed of all the characters on the show...so it was definately time they did something.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  14. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

First of all, leyt me say thank you for all the kind compliments. Secondly, what you said, hiphigger17, was briliant....and not because I happen to agree with you. We all know that Emily has asked for more action stuff and the writers have given it to her simply because they know that she can handle it. She's very physically fit and isn't going to fall apart if she gets a boo-boo.

15. JackieG0630

Sooo, slightly OT (okay, definitely OT, but the E/C & Miami hate is making me mad and I need a change of pace), but did you all know that Emily studied dance in college?

I'm just mentioning this because I recently found a clip on YouTube from her West Wing days where she is dancing to "Blame it On The Bossa Nova" and nearly fell off my chair. If you haven't seen it yet, it is a must (if only to make you almost pee your pants laughing).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCWczTg4WE

I think I would honestly perform a hit a la Russian mafia for one of the writers on CSI:Miami to write a scene like that for Calleigh and Eric.

Just saying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.